Four Days in the Everglades

Posted by: Nicodemus

Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 12:23 PM

"During that time, Mosch lost most of his clothes except his underwear, plus his shotgun, cell phone and other belongings in the Big Cypress National Preserve."

"The Dumbest Mistake of His Life"

This story prompts me to ask the question, what if you lose your PSK in an emergency?

I guess the hardest survival tool to lose is your mind.
Posted by: celler

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 12:55 PM

The link is no longer good.

Big Cypress is a place to be taken seriously. Used to hunt dove there years ago before GPS and got turned around more than once.
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 01:39 PM

corrected link

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200991122035
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 02:03 PM

Thanks!
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 03:50 PM

So instead of staying at the first spot, which was obviously dry enough to start a fire and closer to the swamps edge - said hero takes off to self rescue, gets lost deeper into the swamp and loses most of his clothes and all his resources. My, what a trained woodsman we have there. Frankly, I would be embarrassed to use my real name in any interviews.

I mean, we tell kids to hug trees when lost. Should we dumb down the lessons for some adults?

Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 04:13 PM

1. Cell phone in a tupperware or baggie
2. spread your kit out, over several areas.
3. Stay put.
4. Alligators? Don't swim there
5. Stop moving about
6. Have a map, Trust you compass.
7. Sit it out and wait
8. PLB, PLB, PLB
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 04:32 PM

Here's another perspective on the story - NPS Morning Report

Today's Report | Recent Editions
Monday, November 23, 2009

INCIDENTS

Big Cypress National Preserve (FL)
Lost Hunter Found After Five-Day Search

On the afternoon of November 16th, Jamie Mosch, a hunter with no local experience, embarked on a hunt from a privately-owned inholding. When he failed to return by dark, his friends began looking for him. After about an hour, they heard a shot that they presumed Mosch had fired and fired shots in reply. Two more shots were subsequently heard, apparently further away each time. Mosch’s companions then placed a 911 call that was forwarded to the park. A search was begun, managed under ICS, and other agencies were brought in. Over the next few days, an intensive ground and air search took place that involved about 60 people. Ground searchers utilized grid searches, tactical tracking, blood hounds, cadaver dogs, and air scent dogs. Air searches were conducted and included FLIR/night vision during night operations (FLIR – forward-looking infrared – proved ineffective in this area due to the thick vegetative cover and ground water conditions). Rangers were assigned to teams as available to provide local knowledge. On the morning of November 20th, a bloodhound team found Mosch in very thick, swampy underbrush, making it necessary for them to crawl the last part of their approach to his location. He was alive and vocal and reported a hurt knee and ankle. Mosch was clad only in a tank top and long johns, having lost his shotgun and camouflage hunting clothes. He was surprised to learn it was Friday, and said he thought it was only Tuesday. He survived in part by drinking swamp water and reported catching a catfish by hand and eating it. Mosch was walked/carried overland through the swamp to a clearing where he was airlifted by a Collier County Sheriff’s Office helicopter to the incident command post. He was then airlifted by the Collier County EMS helicopter to Physicians Regional Medical Center in Naples, Florida, where he remains in stable condition, reunited with his family. [Submitted by Ed Clark, Chief Ranger]

Gunshots don't always work....
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/23/09 05:54 PM

Glad he survived.

Having never been I can't comment on what you are "supposed" to do in everglades, or what are even the 'safer' areas to try to get to, etc, etc.
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/24/09 07:38 AM

I made a post a few weeks ago about how I thought most people that grew up in hilly country should have an awareness of the terrain so they're less likely to get lost. Not everyone agreed with it...but there's a flip side to it that I'm sure of. *I* grew up in hilly country, and when I'm in flat land like Florida, I'm constantly thinking about where I am and where I'm going. Flat land is spooky to me, it's like being in the desert.

So I don't understand how somebody could come from the area I'm in, and go to someplace flat, and not realize they're out of their element, and work to stay oriented?

As to the compass that was broken, doesn't it seem likely that it was always broken?

I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to understand what the real causes are.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/24/09 11:34 AM

As to the compass being 'broken". Was it truly broken - and if it was broken why didn't our hero notice that before he wandered off? -- or was it broken only in the fact that it said to go one way but our intrepid hero "knew deep in his bones" that he should go in another direction. I am betting on the latter. Hero disregarded his compass as it conflicted with what he thought was correct. Hero needs to learn to trust his equipment, amongst actually learning how to take care of himself in the woods.

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/24/09 03:51 PM

Great points, especially #6 - cross reference to the current thread on the lost hiker in the Gila Wilderness, where map reading skills were a part of the problem.

People seem to think that GPS supplants map and compass; useful as it is, it supplements M&C. If you can't interpret a paper map, how can you interpret one displayed on a screen? - that will disappear when the batteries expire? - that can't receive a strong signal? etc.
Posted by: TAB

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 05:12 AM

I don't know much about the Everglades, but it seems to me that a map might not be of much use since it is flatland. No landmarks = map useless. The compass is therefore also basically useless. The compass can only do a better job than the sun if the sun is obscured by clouds and the person is totally lost. Even then, the sun always sets in the west. If I was going to move, it would only be during daylight hours, and only in a direction I was certain would bring me to a road relatively soon. I think GPS would be better than a map in the Everglades if I didn't know where on the map I was, but I have never used a GPS so I don't know. I assume they can pinpoint current location in relation to surroundings to show roads, etc.
Swimming with gators? Been there done that. If I was very inexperienced, like our hero apparently was, I would make a camp on some dry land and cook up some catfish and wait for rescue beside my signal fire.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 06:48 AM

Research that could have been done includes Mr. Tillery's book on surviving in the wilds of Florida:

http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/01412.htm#summary

Which includes the passage:

"The prairies, pinelands, and cypress on the flounder-flat terrain have a way of looking monotonously similar. Without constant and vigilant regard for cardinal directions, it’s ridiculously easy to get lost in here. A backcountry traveler might wander only a few hundred yards from a well-equipped campsite, get turned around, and not be able to find it again. Even though shelter and supplies of water and food are only a short distance away, the hapless traveler is effectively separated from them. In some instances, he may have to fend for himself for days with only the clothing and provisions he has on his person. “

http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/rr01412.htm#excerpt

Location specific survival and navigation tips are included.

Still. this is an example of a day hunt gone wrong and a hunter apparently not well-prepared to survive mentally or with gear.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 08:21 AM

1) Compass is bust? That's a classic. Doesn't generally happen. You should always carry two compasses. So you can compare one to the other.

2) 'gator's are an ambush predator so if you can't go inland go up. 'Gator can come their own lenth out of the water from a standing start so you need to be at least 9'/3m above water or ground level.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
1) Compass is bust? That's a classic. Doesn't generally happen. You should always carry two compasses. So you can compare one to the other.

2) 'gator's are an ambush predator so if you can't go inland go up. 'Gator can come their own lenth out of the water from a standing start so you need to be at least 9'/3m above water or ground level.

Don't forget, they can actually outrun a human for short periods. That being said, apparently they can't "corner" well. If chased, zig-zag like your life depends on it - cuz it might.
Posted by: celler

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 12:19 PM

I would agree that a map is not very helpful in Big Cypress. The terrain is quite flat and there are very few discernible landmarks (small oil rigs here and there, not very tall). The place is covered in muck and palmetto thickets. It all looks alike. We kept out of trouble using the main east-west road into the place as our starting point. We would always be careful to hike in keeping a southerly direction frequently checking the compass. Then it was a relatively simple matter to head back north to encounter the road again. We would always come back out 200-300 yards east or west of the truck. Having a plan goes a long way.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 12:51 PM

1) Compass is bust? That's a classic. Doesn't generally happen. You should always carry two compasses. So you can compare one to the other.. . .
If one is wrong, which one is right? Compare your compass(es) to a makeshift sundial.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 12:56 PM

"Maps of the BURNS LAKE and MONROE STATION, NE quadrangle are not just regular topographic maps, but orthophoto maps, color-enhanced photographic images of the terrain. Those accustomed to regular topo maps with lots of contour lines may be unnerved the first time they see an orthophoto map of Big Cypress.

But once you learn how to read an orthophoto map, it can be mighty useful. It can help you distinguish areas of cypress trees (depicted in light blue), prairies (depicted in light brown), and pinelands (depicted in green). This distinction is important because cypress trees mean water and flooded ground, prairies are soggy, grassy open areas usually easy to traverse, and pinelands are places of relatively high ground, but often cluttered with thick clumps of saw palmettos, which are hard to walk through. (Rattlesnakes like to take refuge in palmettos, so it's not a good idea to tromp through them with reckless abandon.) Big Cypress National Preserve, like a lot of Florida, is flat with no prominent terrain contours such as hills or valleys. But plant life can help you locate your position on the terrain. Use the great, grassy prairies, the cypress domes and strands, and the pinelands (all depicted on the orthophoto maps) to figure out where you are. “

http://www.floridaadventuring.com/big-cypress-national-preserve.html

Local knowledge, local maps: maybe pricey. Being prepared and equipped: priceless?

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 02:26 PM

A creature of the western mountains and deserts, I once took a brief day trip in Florida swampland. It was a curious inversion - water, water, everywhere, but not a drop to drink - and dry land was scarce. Blew me away.

Change environments and school is once again in session.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 06:13 PM

This is serious problem, life threatening problem that is somewhat more critical than 'gator or snake. They at least can be eaten. Depending on where you are your options are either strain then boil (if fire wood is availible) or strain then chemical purification. Expect to have to boil for longer or have to use twice to three times (cold very dirty water) as many tablets.

One other point (pun not intentional :)): It's always preferable to keep preditors beyond arms reach. So if materials are available, make yourself a spear or a bow. Something sharp and pointy in the face is the best way (other than shooting) to discourage Critters that have you on their lunch menu.

It's always baffled me when, on programs like survivorman, one is faced with bear country why Les doesn't manufacture a spear or pick up a few rocks first.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/28/09 10:14 PM

My family and I have been to the Everglades. RESPECT them... That said...our biggest 'fear' is that this schmuck is going to write a book and make a whole lot of money on his stupidity and luck.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/29/09 12:02 AM

In my experience, I have done my share of hiking in the Florida swamps, the gators aren't a big problem as long as you make noise, stay aware of them and don't step on them.

Near a bank keep your feet on the bottom and shuffle your feet so you bump into instead of step on any submerged gator. Same method used to keep from stepping on a skate on the ocean. Bumping into them while they are dozing under, or mostly under, water and they tend to just slither away. Running you shin into a large meaty mass underwater, alligator skin isn't hard like a turtle shell but more like stiff rubber, and feeling it shift and then the thrust from the tail as it swims away, all this happening underwater, is disconcerting the first couple of times. Gators are just a whole lot more adept at fleeing in their natural environment than I am. I step back a bit in shock and they swim off.

Snakes, In my experience particularly water moccasins, and mosquitoes are much bigger problems than alligators.

I also suggest that anyone spending time around swamps to learn the fine art of using 'dummy cords'. Swamps are notorious for making anything that sinks disappear forever. I have lost a couple of small knives, a compass, and various other small items. If the water is clear and the bottom firm it isn't hard to retrieve most of what falls in. But if the bottom is soft, the water murky and full of neutral buoyant leaves you can drop a pocket knife and know exactly where you dropped it without being able to find it.

Best strategy is to stop and hold still when you drop something. In shallow water you reach straight down and gently feel around using a patting motion. In deeper water I have had luck using a bare foot to feel around in a similar motion. If your good, and lucky, you can retrieve what you drop.

Dummy cords, lanyards, make it all a lot easier. They save a lot of trouble in swamps, but are also generally useful around sugar sand or anywhere losing gear might be an issue. My compass, light and pocket knife get a lanyard attached when I go into the swamp. Using dummy cords I don't lose so much stuff. The most used stuff in my PSK have dummy cords.

Before anyone figures they are smart enough and together enough not to need such cords remember that if you do bump into a gator the last thing on your mind will be hanging onto that compass you were using at the time. Stuff happens in the woods and humans don't stay their sharpest for long, tired, terrified, dehydrated and borderline hypothermic it is easy to forget or drop gear. Or, as it happen once to me, miss the pocket when your putting equipment away.

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/29/09 12:48 AM

Art - What's the strategy for cottonmouths?
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/29/09 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: UpstateTom

I am not Art, but the best strategy is a 12 Ga. shotgun IME.
Posted by: raven397

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/29/09 05:26 AM

this guy has to be the stupidest, and luckiest, guy in south Florida.

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/29/09 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado

I kinda meant along the lines of avoiding them, other than just staying out of the water. What I'm used to is copperheads, and my plan for those has always been to be cautious around rock overhangs and fallen trees.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why I would ever slog around in a swamp in the first place. I believe I wouldn't.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/29/09 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado

I kinda meant along the lines of avoiding them, other than just staying out of the water. What I'm used to is copperheads, and my plan for those has always been to be cautious around rock overhangs and fallen trees.

The more I think about this, the more I wonder why I would ever slog around in a swamp in the first place. I believe I wouldn't.

Probably a good idea…
Posted by: Susan

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/29/09 06:05 PM

"Two more shots were subsequently heard, apparently further away each time."

What do you want to bet it sounded like he was moving because he WAS moving? Fire the gun, move, fire the gun, move. Dumb.

"Mosch said he’s accepted an offer from the owner to go back to the hunting camp in the Big Cypress in about a month."

We shall probably be hearing about this guy again... A GPS isn't going to fix stupid.

Sue
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 11/30/09 07:43 PM

You should always carry two compasses. So you can compare one to the other.
When I do that, they just point at each other smile
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 12/01/09 05:54 AM

Backpedal a bit and throw or kick anything handy at them to see if they will break off. Pound your stick in front of them. Most will back off. Sometimes you can get the stick under it and flip them away. Most snakes seem to turn and run after being tossed in the air.

But if they come right at you and you feel really threatened you hit them with your stick. Even if they are swimming a strong blow will break their spine. Waaaay more effective than a gun. A good stick won't jam, disturb the peace, get you accused of poaching, have people thinking your with the local idiot militia, or attract thieves.

If you hike, especially in Florida, do carry a sturdy walking stick. Before you step into that murky water or blindly into dense brush you prod it with your stick. As far as footing goes three legs is better than two. Also saves wear on knees, steadies you on slopes and when crossing water. Two sticks make a stretcher. A good stick makes a tarp into a tent.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 01/25/10 04:18 PM

+1 on the stick/ staff. I'd add some tall boots in snake country too...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 01/26/10 09:15 PM

I was down there in the general area when this incident occurred. Been hunting the 'glades and areas close to there for over 20 years now, and I grew up in SW Florida.

This incident was a topic of discussion in SW Florida among the outdoorsy types. Concensus amongst those I believe qualified to evaluate the situation (some who were on the ground searching) was the hunter panicked and didn't pause to think rationally, and was not prepared either with forthought or training, much less equipment. If he did stop and think it through, he probably would have been rescued the same night he got lost. Naturally the discussion soon revolved to what he should have had with him.

I'm offering the following descriptions and depictions in the hope this information might help someone in the future. It is incomplete in descriptions of hazards and the local wildlife, and I'm no botanist or wildlife expert. Your results may vary.

When hunting the glades, or anywhere in south florida for that matter, there are a few things to keep in mind, and a few things to always carry.

Climate: Hot, wet, most of the time. Deydration, heat stress, heat stroke is a very real danger, and most likely to occur.
Fauna: snakes, both native and nonnative, some poisionous, Crocodilians, (american crocodile (south west coast), Caiman, and american alligator (throughout the entire area)), deer, feral hogs, small mammals. Feral hogs and Crocidilians pose special dangers to humans, although unprovoked attacks are rare. The Florida Panther also has a presence there, but usually avoids human contact. Snakes pose a danger, but most locals I know are more worried about the insects. Black widow, brown recluse spiders, scorpions, wasps, hornets, ticks, bees, ants, and most particularly, mosquitoes.
Flora: lots of plants have thorns, but some plants or parts of plants are edible, cattails in particular, and in the northern sections, sugar cane may be found occassionally on abandoned sites. The dog fennel plant has some useful inseciticidal properties.
Communication: Cellular phones are not to be relied on 100%. Coverage is not reliable away from the interstate. SPOT is a
supposedly good alternative.

things to keep in mind in the 'glades:
1) Always have a plan with ETA and timeline left with someone who
will call for help if you do not check in. Those who have been in there would much rather do a rescue than a recovery.
2) The area is criss-crossed with canals, which provide open area on the banks to be seen from the air. Find one, gather some material and start a fire. use green grass once it's caught to make dense smoke. Smoke is visible in daylight and FLIR really picks up on fire at night. Be aware gators also like to use the banks for sunning.
3) I agree with TeacherRO, get a stick to scare but not aggravate the snakes and gators. Your most vicious encounter will likely be from brown marsh mosquitoes. (another reason to have a fire)
4) stay out of the water if you can.
5) Once you've found a spot that is reasonably cleared so that a helicopter or airplane can see you, don't leave. make a bigger fire. It may take time to get assistance in to your location, half a day or more in some cases. You may not even realize you've been spotted.
6) the further south you go, the more saline the water becomes.
7) while the water encountered may not be saline, it is contaminated to some degree.

Things I absolutely, positivly NEVER leave behind while traipsing through the 'glades. I put this in order of priority, it's my opinion. Your results may vary. Other than the gloves and blade, everything else fits into a zippered 4"x6" zippered notebook case, with room left over for a snack bar. I put the case itself into a ziplock bag and it fits a cargo pants leg pocket just fine. Other cargo pocket holds the gloves.

0) Your brain. cautious and slow is better than dangerous and fast. acknowledging you are lost is often accompanied by loss of
brainpower. No tool is more useful, and without it any other tool is useless.
1) Firesteel and striker. Yes, it's a swamp, but things will burn there. A small smoky fire will get help faster than just about anything non-electronic. (SPOT, cellphone, radio). Doesn't need butane, if it's dried off, it will spark a fire.
2) water purification pills. As long as you're more than a couple of miles north of the coast, the water is not saline enough to cause a problem. but it all has some contaminates in it. Last thing you want is diahrrea and heatstroke. Use some pills. The clearer the water is, the better the pills work. I keep at least 10 in my pouch.
3) a bandanna. keeps the sun off the noggin, and is also useful as a water pre-filter. (Stetson hat works as well)
4) 3 quart or half gallon Ziplock bags. Cut a corner of one, place the bandanna in it folded properly, and dip it into the water. use it as a strainer into the second ziplock bag. Add a water tablet and wait.
5) some kind of blade.
6) Insect repellant. I prefer individually sealed wipes, your results may vary. I also carry a small bug net if I'm hunting.
7) button compass. walking on flat land will always result in walking in circles. While it might not be accurate enough for orienteering, a simple button compass should keep you going reasonably straight to the nearest canal bank in your chosen direction.
8) 2 4"x4" sterile gauze pads and roughly 5 feet of duct tape wrapped around a business card. Just in case.
9) 3-4 BP powders. Hard to think when you've got a dehydration headache.
10) 6 immodium pills for diahrrea
11) 3 gatorade packets. Covers the taste of the water tabs and provides electrolytes.
12) Leather gloves. Palmettos have spines.
13) disposible poncho (unless other gear suffices)
14) Space blanket. not for heat necessarily, but for signalling.
15) Small packet of toilet paper. Don't use the leaves.

While in the woods: if you do eat anything, keep a sample for the rescuers to analyze just in case you made a mistake and ate the wrong thing..or didn't cook it enough. I'm not advocating eating ANYTHING in the Glades, but if you do..save a piece in case you have a reaction.

After the rescue: visit your regular physician soon for a checkup, particularly if you encountered heat stress conditions.
Educate youself about symptoms of mosquito borne diseases that are present in the Glades. If you do develop symptoms later, tell the physician immediately you were in the glades, do not wait for them to figure it out themselves.

Before I get critiqued over this, I do have a whistle on my keychain, but in discussions with search and rescue personnel and knowldge of their tactics, it will likely be a visual identification if one can get out to open ground, and start a small, smoky fire. One of the first things they do is send up a plane or helicopter, after the immediate 'last seen area' has been searched. The searchers on the ground would likely be in an airboat, on a swamp buggy, or riding an ATV. They likely wouldn't hear it before they saw you.

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 01/26/10 10:25 PM

Wouldn't a signal mirror likely be useful? I would rather use a mirror (even the mirror on a full size compass) than a space blanket for signaling.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 01/27/10 03:16 AM

Hey you guys in FL, thanks for the firsthand info; it is very interesting. FL is so different from the terrain I'm usually in (Appalachian mountains). However as a young pup I lived in SE FL and used to go into the Glades with my dad. I would walk on the gravel roads built up next to the major canals. Tame by your standards but quite exciting to a 12 year old. I remember seeing t-storms far in the distance making their way across the sky over the grasses; awesome.

I just may need to make a trip down there (in winter!) to see it again.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 01/27/10 09:12 AM

Greytruck makes a good point - it is worthwhile, in the woods having a mental reference point - canals, rivers, roads etc - I'm usually aware that if all else fails, if I head say east, I'll hit a road. Might not be shortest route, but without GPS, map or compass, I at least have a bearing. Then I can use the sun, stars etc to guide me.

(Note - staying put is usually a better option, but 30 seconds with a map should identify some boundary to the area you are in to head towards)

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 01/27/10 04:26 PM

hikermor: Signal mirror: A space blanket has one unique feature that most man portable mirrors do not. You can spread it out over a couple of plants or improvised stakes and get under it to keep the sun off you...also, having experienced the heat stress and almost heatstroke, the fine motor skills that I believe to be necessary to operate a mirror..aren't there. The space blanket it big enough and faceted to attract someone flying at 1500 feet and 80 knots. I'm not certain about operating a mirror under the same conditions. I've been told a space blanket does a pretty good mirror impression. But, I don't have first hand knowledge observing the results from above.

Also..bandanna..recommend against the CamoRambo..get a red or orange one. Much easier to see.

As far as being seen..no non-electronic device will help you more than a good small smoky fire. Often during the mornings there is a no wind condition for awhile.
A couple hundred foot column of grey/black smoke will be investigated quickly.

Your results may vary.

Re: Four Days in the Everglades - 01/27/10 04:36 PM

BigRedDog: As the brain cooks rapidly under heat..I'd go a step further, and print a google map and take it with me. mark north on it. doesn't have to be exact..eventually one will hit a road or a canal to walk along. That's just me. Of course, the Mark I mod 0 reasoning system must be somewhat intact or you might not read the compass correctly. The most important rule I think needs to be reinfored is keeping the brain out of lock-up mode.
If that's accomplished, then one might be able to get rescued with nothing at all, IF the individual has educated themselves on
basic survival-rescue techniques, and hopefully practiced a few beforehand.