extra tobacco tins? anyone?

Posted by: sybert777

extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 02:43 AM

i want to know if any one has an extra tobacco tin for a pocket survival kit? I am only 15 so i cannot buy one. (hopefully there is no age limit on ETS!) if you happen to smoke and have an extra, it would be greatly appreciated. large or small. thank you!
Posted by: ironraven

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 04:06 AM

Hello, new human. I'm assuming you are human, not highly evolved leftovers from the back of the fridge. If you are, I apologize for the anthrocentric mistake, and promise not to put ketchup on you.

Nope, no age limit, unlike, say, Zombie Squad. So we are a G-rated forum. A hard G, but still still G. :P

As for the tobacco tins, they are getting hard to find for all of us. Most of us have used altoids tins, they are the same size, but I'll point you to somethig even better: gift card tins. And it is the season to find them in stores.

The ones I'm thinking of are square, a little longer on each side than the longest of the altoids tin, but they hold almost twice as much, and lacking a hinge, are easier to waterproof. I saw a similar, but larger and rectangular tin full of gingerbread cookies in Walmart a few days ago for a dollar. But there are a TON of tins. You generally want to ones that are stamped from one pierce, not the ones with rolled and crimped bottoms, but keep your eyes open. In any case, you'll probably want to sand and repaint them.

Unless you want Santa looking up at you from your PSK.

But no small number of us have retired our tins for other things. Me, I like the Playstation Portable and external hard drive cases from Case Logic, very tough. Other people use tiny, pint (literally) sized dry bags or something similar. Other people go the other route, and use the smallest of the Pelican and Otterbox cases, which are even harder than the tins. Now, not saying that tins don't work, because they do. It is just a matter of taste. The hard cases are neigh on indestructable, the softer cases are easier to sit/lie/land on, and those who like a zip open case usually like the organization.

*looks around, whispering conspiratorially* It runs in phases. I'm planning on going back to tins in about four months, make them fashionable again.

So, the gear junkies want to know what are you putting in the tin? *tries to peek*
Posted by: freeballer

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 04:52 AM

I do NOT have tobacco tins but there ARE some on ebay for pretty cheap. I also found mint tins work very well also. I have a miniature mint tin in a waterproof airtight bag now for my edc (winter)

If you are still at all interested in the mint ones let me know, but not to be a prick I would need shipping cost from you. Just msg me
Posted by: marantz

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 07:21 AM

What Ironraven said. Lots of gift tins around, especially this time of year. Also a lot a things to use as containers. The advantage of a tin is that it's relatively crushproof, or at least crush resistant, and has a very high percentage of useable space. A Ziploc freezer bag also has a very high percentage of useable space, and is waterproof to boot, but rates zero in crush resistance. So the question is, how large a container do you want, and how are you going to carry it? Jeans pocket, cargo pocket, backpack, car trunk, etc.

But first, try free. Ask your family and friends if they have any tins they don't want. Look for people that are eating Altoids mints and ask them what they do with the empty tins. Most probably recycle them or throw them away, but some have dozens of them laying around. Search ebay for "altoid tin" and you'll see lots of 20-30 empty tins for ~$5.00. Of course, then there's at least $5.00 shipping.

If you just have to have a brand new tin, try specialtybottle.com. They have no minimum order quantity, but again, there's going to be at least $5-10 shipping, depending on mode. Here's a link for a tin slightly larger, and shallower, than an Altoids tin: http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=63

There's always the trusty BCB International tin, that is used for a lot of survival kits: http://www.bestglide.com/tin_info.html Kind of expensive, though.

You could always buy some Altoid mints, dump the mints into a Ziploc bag, and wash and reuse the tin right away. I think the cheapest tin I've seen was from Sweetarts. It was also the ugliest, but after you fill it and wrap it with paracord, who cares.

Finally, troll through your local dollar stores and thrift stores. You might decide the best "tin" is the tiny imitation Rubbermaid plastic container and lid.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 12:58 PM

Ignore him, ketchup's good for you smile

Seriously, my best advice to you is to have a chat with your Dad. Not your Mum!

Wimmin just don't understand these things...

Not you Susan, your an honorary man. grin whistle
Posted by: Tyber

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 12:59 PM

This comeing from a guy who was epic at fiding trouble at your age, I may sugest that you NOT find a Tabaco tin.

While the Tabaco tin may work great, at 15 anyone who sees the tin on you, will imidatly form an opinion of you that may be totaly wrong! And that may cause problems for your.

Just a thought.

And welcome to the ETS forums.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 02:04 PM

Ditto on mint tins though they can be a bit small IMO. Ditto on ebay but by the time you consider the price of the tin (let alone shipping charges) you can usually find it cheaper locally (and get the candy to boot smile ) Wal-Mart can be a great resource if you know which departments to wander. Try Sporting goods at the beginning of fishing season, automotive, hardware, housewares, crafts, and electronics. I'm sure others have some suggestions as well. Let us know what you come up with.
*also trying to peek at the kit and its contents*

P.S. Leigh I am sure Susan will be VERY happy to know you consider her an honorary man (dripping with sarcasm).
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 03:41 PM

Hi sybert777,

First of all welcome to the forums. I looked at our profile, but it might be helpful if you tell us a little about your background and interests. For example are you a Scout? Without giving out your specific location, can you tell us what county, what state/providence and what type of environment (woodlands, dessert, mountain, seashore) you commonly engage outdoor activities?

The guys and gals on this forum are great resources of information. However, I would suggest before you give anyone you meet through the Internet, your address (to send you tins, etc.) you discuss it with your parents and get their permission.

Pete
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 04:07 PM

Welcome. +1 on the gift card tins ( who knows why a card needs to be in a tin?) and looking at your local dollar store. Tupperware might also work well...

Teach
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 05:46 PM

If I were 15 again, I think I'd paint that tobacco tin, or pick something else: I got in enough trouble, without making grownups think that I was smoking.
Posted by: Pete

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 06:41 PM

Sybert ... sounds like you've been reading the SAS Survival Manual. If not, get a hold of one.

Ironraven ... Great idea on the Gift Card tins! I'm gonna' go pick up a couple.

Everyone else ... ketchup is an essential vitamin and mineral. Screw vitamins A-E. Ketchup is what you pour all over third world food - just so you can eat the cr** !!!

Pete
Posted by: Adventureboy

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/20/09 11:05 PM

Hey Welcome sybert777- I am also a 15 year old newcomer to the forum. But if you want cheap altoids tins or other containers, look at the dollar store or thrift store. (Hope I am not repeating the samething as a whole bunch of y'all).

Adventureboy
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/21/09 12:21 AM

sybert777,

Welcome to the Forum!!! You may want to check out the cheapo soap holders at the Big Blue Retail store. They are a buck and you can have some real fun with them. I agree with everyone else about begging (asking) people you know. I am going to do that myself. Ironraven made a good point about people shifting their EDC containers. We are always experimenting on here. Since you are a minor, I agree with the others that you need to make sure your parents know what you are doing on this site; I say this as a father. Lastly, use the search function to get an idea of what has been discussed before. Again, welcome to the forum.

Posted by: HerbG

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/21/09 02:48 AM

This company has some inexpensive small metal containers that can be ordered singly:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/
Posted by: 11BINF

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/21/09 03:50 AM

try "best glide.com" they have the emtey tins you look for,i have..by the way altoids tins suck for my survival tins, to darn small, i keep with the S.A.S theme and ONLY use a tabacco tin for my kit...vince g. 11B inf..

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/24/09 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
I saw a similar, but larger and rectangular tin full of gingerbread cookies in Walmart ...

I saw that tin today. The hamsters in my head started scurrying about and generating much mayhem concerning the possibilities of that tin. I may just have to buy a few for giggles.

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/24/09 04:21 AM

Hi Pete, i live in illinois near STL. I have alot of flat land and some splotches of deciduous forest around. If i can get around to it, i will post a pic and description of my PSK and i'll see if anything needs to be added/removed. Thank you!
Posted by: Pete

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/25/09 12:32 AM

Sybert: Enjoy your time in the mid-West. There is some nice country in southern Indiana. Also, very nice outdoors places in southern Missouri and the Ozarks area. And Wisconsin is not that far from you. So I guess what I'm saying is that there are a lot of good opportunities for you that are not too distant.

Thanks for bringing up the subject of tobacco tins & survival tins. It was a helpful reminder for me.

the other "Pete"

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/25/09 02:33 AM

you're welcome. i need to ask Ritter if he has anything available, never even thought about him!
Posted by: thatguyjeff

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/25/09 04:43 PM

If you're not particular about the material (ie, most tobacco "tins" aren't metal - they're either plastic or waxed cardboard) - head over to snuson.com

It's a snus user board. They're always chatting about what to do with their empty containers.

If you're okay with plastic containers - you could very easily get a metric ton from those guys.

And - there are still a few brands that come in metal - but not many - and they aren't the popular brands/flavors - might get some though.
Posted by: ironraven

tins- altoids, gift and cookie - 11/25/09 07:11 PM

I mentioned the gift and cookie tins that walmart has right now.

So, here is:

left to right, altoids tin (the baseline, 3 5/8" x 2 1/4"), gift tin (3 7/8" x 3 7/8") and cookie tin (3 15/16" x 5 5/8"). All dimensions are measured on the bottom outside of the main part of the tin. The bottom half of each is 5/8" tall.

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/26/09 03:17 AM

Do you know what brand some of them are and where to get it? I'd have to have my mom buy it, but if i can get any metal tin, bigger but not much bigger than an altoids tin for less than $3, i would be happy! Preferably 3"x4"x1".

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/26/09 03:22 AM

oh, material is not of much worry to me, i prefer metal, but plastic is good. no cardboard.

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/26/09 09:00 PM

ironraven pointed me towards The Big Blue Retailer for the gingerbread cookie tin. One buck-a-rooney for the cookies. Thanks ironraven...

Standard Disclaimer

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/30/09 02:31 PM

Sybert777,

If you get permission from your parents to PM me your name and address, I will send you some free tins and items you may find useful in creating your PSK. I have sent items to other forum members in the past, so if you ask the group I think you will get general consensus there is no risk.

Pete
Posted by: JohnE

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 11/30/09 03:37 PM

Likewise, I've got several new Altoids sized tins that I bought for a project that didn't materialise. I'll donate one for the cause.

If any adult member of the forum wants one, you pay the postage and I'll send you one.

A couple of them have been painted with clear coat, rest are as I got them from the wholesaler. I think I've got 6 left.
Posted by: Skimo

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/01/09 03:07 PM

Thatguyjeff is right.

I use a couple of my snus "tins" to store PJCBs

I also use them for paracord and other small fun stuff used for playing on the trails.

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/01/09 06:00 PM

pete, the forum is saying your over your private topic limit. so i can E-mail you if you send me a message. my email is- junk email so most stuff is spam, but its randysybert@yahoo.com ill send you my address. thank you alot though!!! 777

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/01/09 07:12 PM

I will clear out some of my mailbox (I thought I had - must be getting old) but will go ahead and send you an e-mail.

Pete
Posted by: T_Co

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/02/09 12:55 AM

While this is a very friendly forum, it would be wise to not include any email addresses in general posting so they are not available for public viewing. Unfortunately there are those on this forum who are not registered (spiders). In the future if you trust someone enough to give it out, just ask them to PM you, then only they have it. Gotta stay "cyber prepared" these days too unfortunatley.

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/02/09 05:40 PM

if anyone emails me with innapropriate content i dont want to view, i wont and i will send it to spam! that is my junk email too!

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/02/09 05:43 PM

john e, i have been looking for gift card tin sized tins that do not have a window. if your tins are about that size i will take one if it is ok. thanks.

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/02/09 05:55 PM

Keep an eye out for the e-mail I sent you, so you can respond with your name and address.

Pete

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/02/09 05:57 PM

k. did you ever get my first pm? if not, whats it like being a paramedic?

Re: extra tobacco tins? anyone? - 12/02/09 06:00 PM

pete, im at school right now. i cant check my email now but i might be able to have my mom do it or me check it some time soon. i am gonna have to give you my grandpas house because i dont know how long i will be living in IL.