Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters

Posted by: billvann

Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/12/09 08:57 PM

Verizon's user forum had a nice short list of tips for earthquake victums that would work for any disaster scenario where you had to bug out of your home.

1. Know how to use call forwarding at home. If you have to evacuate, forward your home phone calls to your cell phone.
2. Conserve battery power and free-up wireless networks for emergency response agencies by limiting non-emergency calls.
3. Keep a car-charger in your vehicle in case you must evacuate.
4. Save emergency phone numbers in your cell phone for one-touch dialing.
5. Store back-up batteries for electronic devices, including your cell phone.
6. Consider using text messages to communicate.
7. Understand your cell phone’s capabilities: e-mail, weather updates and news reports are all tools that can help after a disaster.
Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/12/09 09:19 PM

Still amazing how few places let you send a sms (text message) to 911 / 999 / 112 etc.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 12:25 AM

"Still amazing how few places let you send a sms (text message) to 911 / 999 / 112 etc."

The technology doesn't exist at this time, I was told.

If the cell towers go down (like they did in Katrina), you won't be using cell phones anyway.

Sue
Posted by: ajax

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 02:52 AM

The FCC was going to mandate an 8hr minimum battery backup but the Bush Admin passed it off for further study.

Most carriers have provided some kind of emergency backup but there's no telling how long it will last.

I like the "using SMS" tip. Text messages use a fraction of the bandwidth that phone calls do. You will definitely have a better chance of getting a message out via SMS.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: billvann

I've tried to standardize many of my small electronics to use USB charging.

For example, my cell phone, and iPod Touch (PDA basically) and GPS can all be charged via USB.

In addition, I found a USB charger that can charge my cell phone battery externally:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MVQFMW

Then, I keep one of these lithium ion powered rechargeable battery packs in my bag:

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1800.html

And lastly, I keep a small USB power brick and auto USB power adapter in my bag.

This combination of standardization and set of options provides a fair amount of flexibility.

I can charge my phone from the lithium ion power pack on the go, I can use it to charge a cell battery externally while I'm using the phone.

I can do all these from a car or wall plug if available. The lithium ion pack even uses USB for charging so I can charge it from my wall or auto plugs.

Adding a portable solar panel with auto or USB output would further enhance this configuration.

All in all, a little planning can go a long way.

FWIW, I also found it is very helpful to be able to charge two devices at a time instead of just one. It is a worthwhile exercise IMO to try to go a couple of days with only the charging options you have with you.

-john

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html
http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=41
http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1550.html
http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=121
http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Solaris-12-Solar-charger/dp/B0019OOTNK
http://www.amazon.com/Powerjolt-Dual-Universal-USB-Charger/dp/B001Q2FM5E
http://www.amazon.com/DLO-002-9981-PowerBug-Wall-Charger/dp/B000NOPA9E

Posted by: Eugene

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 11:21 AM

Only downside to stocking up on batteries like that is factoring in the replacement cost every few years. Since lithium ion loose some of their life (10-20%) each year you have to plan to relace every 2-3. Most people replace their cell phones that often anyway though.
I standardize everything on AA except things like call phones that can't be found that way. I replace the AA's around the 80% mark and with good quality ones get 9-10 years use.
Posted by: Stoney

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 11:58 AM

Minor clarification, the technology obviously exists its just not in place.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ajax
The FCC was going to mandate an 8hr minimum battery backup but the Bush Admin passed it off for further study.

Most carriers have provided some kind of emergency backup but there's no telling how long it will last.

I like the "using SMS" tip. Text messages use a fraction of the bandwidth that phone calls do. You will definitely have a better chance of getting a message out via SMS.

Assuming ( and we all know what that can do) that the carrier has been doing proper PM, the cell site should already have at least 8 hours back-up on battery. It is not a continuation of service issue for an emergency, but a continuation of revenue for the company.

Additionally, most carriers are in the process of adding/replacing generators at their sites. Some carriers have trailer mounted gensets that they move around as needed to keep the sites on the air.

As to 911 via SMS... Don't count on it. The 911 services want to TALK to the reporting party (RP). They often ask for more info than a text from the RP will provide, and can give FA/CPR instruction over the phone.

Any other cellular questions, just ask... It is what I do now (again).

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 01:49 PM

I remember verizon's trailer generators from the big midwest blackout. They would drive to one location and charge the battery packs then move on to another and rotated though different sites keeping them all running.
Posted by: Stoney

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnN

For example, my cell phone, and iPod Touch (PDA basically) and GPS can all be charged via USB.

In addition, I found a USB charger that can charge my cell phone battery externally:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MVQFMW

Then, I keep one of these lithium ion powered rechargeable battery packs in my bag:

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1800.html

And lastly, I keep a small USB power brick and auto USB power adapter in my bag.

This combination of standardization and set of options provides a fair amount of flexibility.

I can charge my phone from the lithium ion power pack on the go, I can use it to charge a cell battery externally while I'm using the phone.

I can do all these from a car or wall plug if available. The lithium ion pack even uses USB for charging so I can charge it from my wall or auto plugs.

Adding a portable solar panel with auto or USB output would further enhance this configuration.

All in all, a little planning can go a long way.

FWIW, I also found it is very helpful to be able to charge two devices at a time instead of just one. It is a worthwhile exercise IMO to try to go a couple of days with only the charging options you have with you.

-john

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html
http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=41
http://www.tekkeon.com/products-tekcharge1550.html
http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=121
http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Solaris-12-Solar-charger/dp/B0019OOTNK
http://www.amazon.com/Powerjolt-Dual-Universal-USB-Charger/dp/B001Q2FM5E
http://www.amazon.com/DLO-002-9981-PowerBug-Wall-Charger/dp/B000NOPA9E

You might be interested in a recent purchase of mine from Radio Shack. Its an emergency crank radio with a solar panel and a USB jack for charging USB devices. Not sure the solar panel would charge a cell phone but cranking will work, though for the iPhone, and possibly other smart phones, you have to get the cranking speed just right. I might get a pick up and go phone to use with this for emergencies only.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 02:37 PM

Yah, I was reading the reviews on Amazon of the various Brunton solar chargers, and it sounds like anything below the 12W version people were unhappy with. It suggests to me that you might need to get something over capacity in order to be reliably effective.

-john
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 05:39 PM

Great work there John, I like that kind of forethought. I need to figure out a plan like that for my comms.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/13/09 06:32 PM

Most folks will be able to charge their phones easily with a 6 Watt panel. The I think the poor feedback on the Amazon reviews that is attributed to the Brunton Solaris foldable panels is really just a lack of understanding the limits of how the technology works. The Apple iPhone uses a hefty lithium ion cell (3.7 V 1219 mAh, the original iPhone had a 1400mAhr), which compares to a 3.7V 700mAh for my ancient Motorola E398 so the battery capacity is almost double that a normal handset. So it takes twice as long for the iPhone brigades to charge their handsets compared to the Luddites with their old fashioned cell phone technology using the same solar panel. Its just that the iPhone users cannot come to terms to criticise their iPhone so they just end up blaming the Brunton Solar panels for just being too wimpy.

The Freeplay Energy FreeCharge 12V should get a mention as well. With this I'm able to power a 120 Watt inverter and a 7W 500 lumen LED bulb table lamp. It is robust and it works, but it takes a lot of effort to keep hand cranking the device. Most folks have a lot of trouble just realising how much energy their kit uses and how much energy is actually stored into todays modern rechargeable lightweight lithium ion battery technology. Using the FreeCharge hand crank for any length of time to get their cell phone recharged will make them quickly realise just how impressive modern lightweight flexible folding solar panel technology actually is.

Posted by: Tarzan

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/14/09 12:28 AM

Verizon had their portable cell towers up during the California wildfires. They have a robust network and are very aware of how critical cellular communication will be following a large scale disaster.
I have no doubt a major disaster would put landlines out of commission for quite a while. Cellular traffic will skyrocket but SMS texting will probably still go through faster than making voice calls. Being able to text family and friends in a disaster zone may be the only reliable method of communication for the critical first 72 hours.
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/14/09 03:16 AM

Having a car charger is a great idea, not even for disasters but for minor emergencies. It's easy to let your phone run down, and kinda silly to find yourself with a car with plenty of electricity, a flat tire or other vehicle problem, and a cell phone you can't use because the battery is dead.

For major emergencies, a cell phone might work. A ham radio will work. To me, depending on a cell phone for communications is exactly like depending on any other utility - gas, electric, etc. Eventually service will come back, but it may be a while.

Posted by: Susan

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/14/09 09:52 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens on the west coast after a major earthquake.

TIMBER!

Sue
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/15/09 12:18 AM

[quote=Susan]It will be interesting to see what happens on the west coast after a major earthquake.
[/q

After the 1994 Northridge quake, our electricity was out for a day. We are about 45 miles from the epicenter. The only phone in our office that worked was a plain no frills landline that connected to our regional office in San Francisco. Everyone in the office got admin leave - after all, computers and phones were down. What could you do? I was on San Miguel Island where life was relatively normal.

Cell phones were not in common use then, but I would not expect them to work very well. If the system survived the shock, they would probably be overloaded.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/15/09 01:38 AM

I have found cell phones to be more reliable than land lines, a few yea ago the local Telecom became part of at&t and the quality of service dropped to their level. The only way around the monopoly was to get phone service through our cable provider to get off the attention owned lines.
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/17/09 12:41 PM

Working after Hurricane Charley, the SAR task force in Port Charlotte had found one good spot to get Nextel coverage and would drive back and forth from the staging area to make calls.

Text messages are great for spotty coverage. You can send one and then let the phone retry sending the message until it finally finds coverage.

For charging, I'd make sure to have a car charger and probably a cigarette lighter socket "splitter" to charge multiple things from one vehicle.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/17/09 03:24 PM

Does anyone know of a prepaid cellphone service (on a reliable network) where the minutes do not expire if you don't use them within a certain timeframe? I'd like to toss a prepaid phone using Verizon's network in my bag as a backup to my usual phone, but all of Verizon's prepaid plans expire if you don't use them pretty quick.

I'd really like to use Verizon's network because it is a stout one, but if you have good alternatives please post them.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/17/09 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Does anyone know of a prepaid cellphone service (on a reliable network) where the minutes do not expire if you don't use them within a certain timeframe? I'd like to toss a prepaid phone using Verizon's network in my bag as a backup to my usual phone, but all of Verizon's prepaid plans expire if you don't use them pretty quick.

I'd really like to use Verizon's network because it is a stout one, but if you have good alternatives please post them.

One word: Rollover smile Sorry couldn't help myself, seen one too many of that commercial. I am not even sure if there is a rollover plan for a prepaid cellphone service. Maybe check with your current provider and see if they will work something out with you. Much easier to do with a local service provider than with one of the huge national chains.
Another lesson here is that redundancy is a good thing everywehre. A car charger, a solar panel charger, back-up batteries etc all seem to be good options when employed as a layered system. And I recall that energizer also has a battery powered emergency cell phone charger as well.
Good list, great discussion; "Please sir, may I have some more?"

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/17/09 09:14 PM

IIRC the company putting out those rollover minutes isn't a reliable one.
know anyone already on Verizon (friend/family) that could add you on for $9.99/month?
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/17/09 09:33 PM

Tracfone has a deal where you can get a year of service for $124 or so. Even if the minutes or service is expired you can call 911. I personally have a Tracfone as my cell. my old one (old lg from tracfone) currently lives in my glove-box as a back-up. it is in a little bag with the car charger.

I know 124 + the 10-30 dollars for the phone seems high, but it will work on pretty much any network, in my experience. I usually have better coverage than all of my coworkers with us cellular and a local company. My Motorola 376g runs on the at and t network here. my old lg, 3018? was on the us cellular network. The great thing about tracfone is that if there is cellular service available, it works. That is what it seems, i have been told that it is a secondary to any regular cell phone, so in an emergency, with overloaded circuits, prepaid might not be the best.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/17/09 10:32 PM

Tracfone uses either CDMA (older models) or GSM (new models with a SIM) - the same handset can't do both there's nothing special about it.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/17/09 10:41 PM

In the "you couldn't make this stuff up dept."
My wife works for a government agency and frequently is out on-site in remote areas.
So for safety they have a policy of phoning in, to report, before leaving the last site.

They were recently told that they must not use SMS anymore because it is too expensive (apparently the government can't negotiate some sort of discount with the cell providers to get free minutes - well it's not like they are a big customer or anything!)

So now they must call in and wait while a receptionist answers - so we save 10c on the SMS but now waste the time of two employees, sounds like government as usual.

Next problem. They are in a remote area with little or no cell coverage, although SMS usually works - this was pointed out to managers.

The solution came through today - they are looking at fitting the trucks with satellite phones!!!

I'm pretty sure this is how the stealth bomber came about. "General we have had complaints that our fighters are interfering with Mrs Smith's garage door opener, the solutions are to buy her a new one from HomeDepot or develop a new $billion aircraft that doesn't reflect radio waves".

Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/20/09 02:30 AM

Tracphone minutes roll over as long as you keep the service paid. In other words, you buy a card for X minutes and X days, the minutes and months are added to your service. If you run out of either you have to add more, but the numbers just add, the minutes don't ever reset to 0. (I'm probably not describing it well.)

I use trac for my personal cell because I use very few minutes, and that makes it cheap for me.

Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/22/09 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnN

Then you will be happy to know that there is a big push in the telecommunications industry to standardize on the mini-USB for power. All new GSM phone models are supposed to have them next year (that's AT&T and T-Mobile in the US). Hopefully, Verizon and Sprint will follow suit.

Here's a few more ideas for you:

Cheers!

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/23/09 01:31 AM

Actually they decided on microUSB. IMHO thats because everything else such as cameras, GPS, etc use miniUSB so by standardizing on microUSB they can still sell some adapters. The microusb standard has already been adopted a year or two ago and all the new phones are coming that way.
So now I have to carry a mini and micro cable rather than just the miniUSB that worked with our old phones.
Posted by: thseng

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/23/09 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Actually they decided on microUSB. IMHO thats because everything else such as cameras, GPS, etc use miniUSB so by standardizing on microUSB they can still sell some adapters. The microusb standard has already been adopted a year or two ago and all the new phones are coming that way.
So now I have to carry a mini and micro cable rather than just the miniUSB that worked with our old phones.

FWIW, at least according to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroUSB#Mini_and_micro
everything ought to be migrating towards Micro now.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/23/09 07:08 PM

That mini/micro section only mentions cell phones (mobile devices). The term mobile devices is confusing since gps, cameras, etc are mobile, but the USB official mobile devices term refers to cell phones.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/23/09 09:22 PM

In addition, it is rather annoying that while most everything has been using mini USB, they are now changing to micro USB.

Sigh.

-john

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/24/09 12:38 AM

thats what I was getting at, everything but cell phones is miniUSB while cell phones are micro, so now the usb cables and car to miniusb that I could share with my phone and gpg can't share anymore.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/24/09 01:49 AM

There is nothing we can do about that, but taking an adapter for $0.99 shipped (just bought it there for my power mini kit to use with the new digital camera).

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/24/09 02:13 AM

thats what I was getting at, everything but cell phones is miniUSB while cell phones are micro, so now the usb cables and car to miniusb that I could share with my phone and gpg can't share anymore.

My current cell phone uses mini USB, so right now I can use all the same cable, but at some point in the future I will not be able to as new devices adopt the micro USB.

FWIW, it might be the case that future GPS and other devices will migrate to micro USB as well.

In any case, if you get the short cables, they aren't very heavy or bulky, so it isn't the end of the world to carry both:

7.5" mini USB cable, $8
7.5" micro USB cable, $8

-john

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 11/24/09 02:37 AM

The problem is only the cell phone makers have adopted microusb, so far no one else has and you replace cameras and gps's less often so its going to take a lot longer _if_ they were to decide to switch to microusb.
I'm thinking of buying a dozen each of micro to mini and mini to micro adapters and keep a pair everywhere.
Posted by: lastchild

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/04/10 01:01 AM

FWIW, I tested the 'text message' theory on New Years @12:01am. Tried to make a call that predictably would not go through, but a text sent to the same person went through INSTANTLY. He replied within 10 seconds.

I have heard about this 'feature', but this was the first good chance at actually testing it. Enjoy!

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/04/10 01:32 AM

Wasn't just a theory, its been tested by many people before. Main reason is it only takes a fraction of a second to send where a voice call has to be connected the whole time. Way less bandwidth.
Posted by: cliff

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/04/10 03:47 AM

When the cellular system was heavily damaged and strained during Katrina, text messaging was the only to communicate even as far away as here in Baton Rouge (80 miles from New Orleans). Some folks were actually rescued from the flooding by using text messages to family out of state, who then contacted disaster response here in Louisiana. My advice is keep your messages short, use a lot of abbreviations (ask your kids if you don't know them already), and only send messages when you have to.

.....cliff
(like, who else?)
Posted by: MichaelC

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/05/10 02:09 AM

I built one of these: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-solar-iPodiPhone-charger-aka-Might

I substituted the solar panel in the instructions with this one: http://greenenergiesllc.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=13

It seems to work very well, though you can probably buy something similar for less than what I spent making it. It was a fun project though.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/05/10 02:16 PM

Quote:
I substituted the solar panel in the instructions with this one: http://greenenergiesllc.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=13

What do you think (quality) of that solar panel? It looks like what I've been wanting to solar-charge Eneloop batteries.

-Blast

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/05/10 02:27 PM

May be a little small for that. 200mA charging rate (max) charging a 2000mAh battery is going to be 10 hours (assuming full discharge and assuming full sun, probably won;t be fully discharged but probably won't be full sun so it evens out)

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/05/10 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

What do you think (quality) of that solar panel? It looks like what I've been wanting to solar-charge Eneloop batteries.

-Blast

I've been pleased with it. It seems to be well built and I like the way it folds up neatly. Putting a multimeter to it shows 7 volts. It comes with a battery box that holds 3 AA batteries. It's supposed to be able to charge those three batteries by plugging the panel into the box, but I haven't tested that.

Have you seen this thing?: http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/portable_remote/index.php?cat=pr_charger

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/05/10 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: MichaelC

Anything that charges in pairs or multiples you really should avoid, thats not a good way to charge. If used for an emergency then they are ok to use but don't use ones like that for normal charging.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/05/10 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: MichaelC

Anything that charges in pairs or multiples you really should avoid, thats not a good way to charge. If used for an emergency then they are ok to use but don't use ones like that for normal charging.

You mean because each cell should be charged individually versus in series or parallel? How it charges the batteries depends on the design of their charging circuit. It's impossible to know without looking at it, but the descriptions of the device I've read imply that there is some intelligent charging going on.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/06/10 01:36 AM

Yes, you can still do somewhat intelligent charging but charging in pairs you still can't insure each cell is charged exactly where it should be, Doesn't cause a lot of harm but does decrease the overall life of the cells, and if you charge in pairs over and over again the difference becomes greater each time, it adds up so you'll see shorter run time and will need to condition them more often. Thats why i say its acceptable for emergency use but don't use a pair charger all the time. If you do that and one cell starts to get weaker then when an emergency comes up you'll already be starting out in poor condition.
Individual chargers are cheap enough now a days there is no reason to charge in pairs. I'd buy a small individual charger such as the c401fs which can run from 12v in and get a panel that puts out 12v. Decent chargers make all the difference in the world, I have 10 year old NiMH's that out last brand new "15 minute charge" ones.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/07/10 04:03 AM

Just to clarify, I think Eugene means each cell should get its own charging circuit. There are lots of chargers that can charge multiple cells at once -- but each has its own charging circuit.

I think the key phrase to look for is "independent charging circuits".

I strongly agree with Eugene. If you have one mostly dead cell, and one mostly charged cell, you can't get a good result if both are charged with the same circuit. Either one is undercharged, or the other is overcharged.

There are also other issues with chargers such as charging too fast and basically cooking the cells.

This review on CPF breaks some of the better ones down:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70935

-john

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/07/10 01:40 PM

Its those little tricks in terminology that get you. If the page had said charges up to two batteries then they would be independant, but when they say charges a pair of batteries then they are charging in series in parallel which not real good.
The other site where you see the AA battery holder with the little 9v snap on thing is probably doing the same and is probably a simple trickle charger with no charge termination.
Ever notice how when you buy a cordless phone for your home the battery pack dies in a year or two? They are typically series pair charging with a trickle charger. SO you must be careful if your going to rely on rechargeables in emergancy gear to charge them properly. You don't want to be using a trickle pair charger like those all the time then have an emergency and find out your batteries last 1/3 as long as they should. You want them to be working as their best at the start of the emergency so any damage/loss caused by those kind of chargers is minimized.
I switched to a digital camera over 10 years ago so I learned a lot about taking care of batteries along the way. I started out with not so great chargers and then after a while you find out the camera shuts off when you wanted to take a picture and you start to wonder why. Now my camera/GPS/radio/etc all run nice and long, usually my run time tests with rechargeables beat alkalines and are about even with lithium's.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/07/10 05:05 PM

Back on the subject of cell phones. My new one seems somewhat smarter when out of signal range, it doesn't drain the battery in just a few hours, it survived overnight and then some.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/07/10 07:22 PM

Heh. That might be because it doesn't have analog capability at all.

:-)

-john

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/07/10 08:06 PM

My last one didn't have any analog either but would go dead in a few hours. There still is analog coverage, my parents have an older phone that uses analog.

Re: Verizon posts 7 cell phone tips for disasters - 01/27/10 07:07 PM

Once again, text messages get through when voice calls don't.

From the article: "Data-heavy voice calls are still unreliable, but text messages get through without trouble."