Car Kit for teenager

Posted by: LeeG

Car Kit for teenager - 10/31/09 05:32 PM

I have been asked by my family to develop car kits for my teenage nieces and nephews. They are live in small towns in the Midwest. They all have cell phones. Coverage is good but by no means assured. These kits are expected to fit in a small duffel bag in the trunk.

AA LED Flashlight with spare batteries (use energizer primary batteries)
Water - a few bottles of bottled water
44 hour candle (nuwik)
Waterproof matches and lighter
Map & Compass (County & state map)
Duct Tape (small roll)
First Aid Kit
Whistle with lanyard
Blanket (at least fleece, wool would be better)
50' of Paracord (light rope as an alternate)
Gloves, Watch Cap, Spare coat, wool socks, and overshoes

Anything I missed or other comments welcome.

Posted by: Lono

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 10/31/09 05:45 PM

AAA membership - cheap insurance, with a cell phone you will be rescued roadside. Get the enhanced membership and they will tow you up to 100 miles. And if they don't use it, they can always use it with their friends (you don't need to own the car, just be on scene when the breakdown occurs).

Seat belt cutter or two - Countycomm has the Gerber Rescue Knife for under $10, seems like a good deal - http://www.countycomm.com/cutter.htm. Make sure they keep it somewhere within easy reach, like the side door pocket or even attached to their seatbelts.

Window punch - available at any AAA office, under $20. Also keep it in the main compartment of the car.

Signalling devices - road flares, red triangles, whatever floats your boat. Telling kids to get out of the car to warn approaching traffic by setting up some warning signals a decent distance behind them is situational and iffy, but I hear alot about folks read ending the back of stalled cars more often than I hear of people getting run over in the street while setting them out. And some folks don't like road flares as they risk igniting spilled gasoline, but they are cheap and hopefully your nieces and nephews know when to deploy? The non-flammable type of road flares (LEDs) still seem pretty pricey.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 10/31/09 06:48 PM

You are a good uncle. :-)

Couple garbage bags for emergency ponchos.

Knife to cut the paracord.

Survival cards and First-Aid booklet.

High-visibility safety vest.

Pepper spray.

Are the cars already outfitted with fire extinguishers?

Posted by: ironraven

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 10/31/09 07:42 PM

Wire, zip ties, and a couple of metal coat hangers.
Small tool kit with wire cutters.
Tarp or some contractor bags.
Visual signals (reflector triangles, and a strobe is kinda nice).
Saw.
Knife.
Small shovel, not a trowel.

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 10/31/09 08:02 PM

Another question on the cars -- do they have jumper cables?

Some things I learned the hard way as a young driver:

1) Batteries die. (Need jumper cables with directions)

2) Tires flatten. (Know how to change them)

3) Engines catch fire. (Have a functioning fire extinguisher)

Posted by: scafool

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 10/31/09 08:20 PM

Dagny mentioned the booster cables, I will mention the tow strap.

Did anybody suggest some munchies in case they are stuck for a few hours?

LeeG mentioned the gloves, but I will repeat that anyhow. It can be real hard to change a tire or shovel out with fingers that are freezing cold. Crappy looking mitts are warmer than gloves, one size (Xlarge) fits all and they are less likely to go missing from the kit.
Posted by: Andy

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool
Did anybody suggest some munchies in case they are stuck for a few hours?

I'd suggest Millenium bars as they are good enough to eat in a crunch but not that tempting.

Also, off topic. Don't try to carry one in your pocket thru the metal detectors at the airport. Took me and TSA a few tries to figure that out.

Also, a 6x8' blue plastic tarp is useful in a lot of situations.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 01:53 AM

Before going with any kind of knife, make sure none of them go to any schools where there are rules forbidding those items on campus. We've seen several cases this year of students suspended for such things.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 01:30 PM

A lot of what to carry varies with who is in the car, how far from "help" you plan to go and the local conditions. I have always had the following in my car (starting at age 16 when I got my first car). This is probably overkill for many folks but growing up with a father and grandfather who were very good mechanics has had an influence. We lived out of town so a drive anywhere took some time and Midwest weather changes a lot over the year and even during the day.

The list roughly follows an old saying from horse cavalry days, "the horse, the saddle, the man."

Fuses - appropriate for the car, not just a random mix
Good jumper cables - heavy duty and long enough to reach across the car
Tow chain / strap - longer/ stronger than you think you need
Quart of Oil
Quart of Transmission fluid
(Add a gallon of washer fluid/deicer in winter)
Fix-a-Flat (or equiv.)
12V Air pump
tire gauge
tire patch kit (small)
Duct Tape / Muffler Tape
Electricians tape
Small tool kit - at least a couple of screwdrivers and an adjustable wrench/pliers
Locking Pliers
Forceps
Better breaker bar for changing tires - most don't provide enough leverage
Better jack for the car (hydraulic bottle jack usually)

Two signaling devices (currently reflective triangles)
Two flashlights - one larger with kit, one smaller (AA?) in glove box
Several Mechanics Rags / Paper Towels
Leather gloves (all the time, add heavier gloves in fall)
Ice scrapers / snow brushes (fall to spring)
Sand/cat litter for weight/traction (fall to spring)
Something to cut with (knife or scissors)
Seatbelt cutter (in glove box)
Shovel (small)

Blanket/Fleece
First aid kit
Sunscreen
Benadryl fast melt strips
Pain killers (aspirin and tylenol)
car chargers for my electronics (cell phone, gps, iPod...)
At least $2 in change (quarters, dimes, nickels)
a $20 bill

Various consumables (water, snacks etc.) depending on season/climate.

The above can get pretty expensive, especially the stuff from the top of the list. I have always aimed for quality tools and would rather have a few good, simple tools than a complete set of cheap (worthless) wrenches. If you don't know how/when to use the tools, don't bother with them - get AAA and a good cell phone.

- Eric

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Before going with any kind of knife, make sure none of them go to any schools where there are rules forbidding those items on campus. We've seen several cases this year of students suspended for such things.

The schools are searching their car trunks?

Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 01:56 PM

When I was a teen, I occasionally wished I had remembers some condoms in the car kit smile
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 02:03 PM

How about a Battery Booster like this, or something close. Not many folks carry or know how to safely use jumper cables any more.

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
When I was a teen, I occasionally wished I had remembers some condoms in the car kit smile

That might be more than the parents bargained for.

But would get the Coolest Uncle of the Year Award.

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
How about a Battery Booster like this, or something close. Not many folks carry or know how to safely use jumper cables any more.

I had that particular booster and it failed miserably.

The reviews show that a lot of users have had it malfunction.

Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 03:06 PM

May I suggest that the neices and nephews help develop them?

Otherwise it's just a bag of mystery that they won't think of or know how to use in time of need.

Kinda like the jack they don't know how to use. Or that lugwrench thingy that got thrown out to make space for the stereo amp......

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 05:13 PM

If you are going to have a battery booster you need something that connects directly to the battery like this. Anything that plugs in through the cigarette lighter/power port is usually not going to help a lot. A good set of jumper cables are a better choice for the money usually.

Of course this stuff only helps if you know how to use it. A few minutes demonstrating / explaining is probably more useful than the gear.

- Eric

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
May I suggest that the neices and nephews help develop them?

Otherwise it's just a bag of mystery that they won't think of or know how to use in time of need.

Kinda like the jack they don't know how to use. Or that lugwrench thingy that got thrown out to make space for the stereo amp......

Or they may have gotten rid of it because they know there is no way on earth to loosen the lugs with the little bitty thing that came with the car. confused I have trouble with some of the standard lug wrenches and I replace them with much larger t bars. Maybe I'm just lazy but jumping up and down on a 10" bar to loosen the lugs is way to strenuous these days.

I like the idea above - have the driver help you select things and walk them through using everything.

- Eric
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 07:05 PM

i am thinking a list of phone numbers. Most of the teens i know are lets face it teens. I have gotten a few frantic calls at 2 am from a cousin that was broken down, he was scared to call his dad (breaking curfew) but did not know who he could call, went through his contacts and found me. long story short, a list of numbers of people that can or will help, work numbers and extensions, cell phone numbers that they might not have or remember they have.

money is good in theory, but when i was a kid i would have raided the kit and blown it, maybe in a little lock box? they would have to call you for the combo.

hide a key or an equivalent, how many young people lock their keys in the car? gear is great but not when you can't get to it

Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/01/09 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny
The schools are searching their car trunks?

From the story in late September or early October, regarding the young man who was worried about his suspension ruining his chances of going to West Point, the knife was not readily visible. A classmate informed someone at the school that the young man had a knife in his car. That led to the admission that there was indeed a knife, a search, and the suspension.

I'm not saying what happened was right, I'm just noting that these things need to be considered because they've caused a problem before.
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/02/09 01:09 PM

I always have a rain suit (rather than a poncho) in the car kit. Murphy's law says that a cold, sleeting rain will be coming down when they get a flat tire, and doing real work in a poncho is infuriating. A rain suit also acts as a windbreaker and traps the heat of other spare layers.

I use DriDucks or FroggToggs, which are cheap ($15-20), light, and pack down small.
Posted by: Mike_in_NKY

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/02/09 01:56 PM

This is definitely the wave of the future. Pocket knives have gone from a tool to a weapon. Unfortunate.

I would suggest a pair of EMT shears instead of a pocket knife, they can cut almost anything and don't generally have sharp points to be considered a weapon.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/02/09 04:58 PM

I'd suggest you add to the kit: a poncho, tinder, cooking vessel even if its just a can, water purification at some level, basic SA type knife. And for the cars: reflector triangles, "HELP" sign, jumper cables, small shovel, sand or carpet remnant, small fire extingusher, duct tape/bailing wire and a Life Hammer or Rescu-Me.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/02/09 05:12 PM

LeeG - I'm rereading the thread and looking at your location and relationship to these kids and wondering if perhaps you're being taken advantage of. Or are being given an assignment to get you to stop talking about preparedness or something.

Seems to me that their parents should be doing this since they'd know how much blanket or sleeping bag would be enough for the location. And they'd know whether the kid would appreciate and use the kit or would just chuck it out of the way. And they'd know how much would fit in the particular car.

I've got relatives (cousin) who've been given several completely reliable used cars over the years by their grandfather and she immediately turned them into junk. And I've got neices who stand to inherit a great deal of money from their grandparents but who can't be enticed into paying any attention at all to the concepts of money management so they have no concept of what a boost they will get.

Sometimes the gift of preparation goes unappreciated.
Don't be surprised if this is the case. I hope it's not.

On the other hand, if you can spend time with the kids in a positive way showing them what's there and practicing using it, there can be a good role model / bonding experience. Hope so.
Posted by: comms

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/02/09 05:33 PM

yup. First aid kit, couple of flashlights, jumper cables.

for winter, some sand or whatever works for traction in your area. Instead of a shovel, I prefer a small garden hoe for moving snow from around tires and such.

Throw a deck of cards in there.
Posted by: TomApple

Re: Car Kit for teenager - 11/02/09 06:53 PM

Roger that!

Since my son uses my car on occasion to go to school functions, I put the knives, first aid meds, and other things that could cause him grief with some idiot school admin in a locked Pelican case. A key stashed in the glove box and another in an out of sight place.

I told him if they ever search the car, not to open the case. If they insist then to refuse and call me and not to tell them about any keys. Just say, "It's my Dad's, you want to see inside, call him."

The case is also secured inside with a bicycle cable so they can't remove it from the car without the key.

It a shame to have to go to such lengths to prevent your child from being victimized by school officials.

Tom A.