+1

I know his feelings..

Posted by: Dagny

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 01:14 PM

Razor's edge, indeed. A moving account.

Thanks for posting the link.

Posted by: 7point82

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 01:34 PM

His story reminded me of an accident that I arrived at many years ago. An elderly female, alone in a very small sedan met a tractor-trailer at the intersection of two rural two-lane highways. (Two way stop and she failed to yield.) She was barely alive when I arrived and passed away before the Highway Patrol or any EMS could arrive. Her car was in horrible shape and I couldn't figure out how to get to her in order to do more than check vitals and offer some (hopefully) comforting words. One of the worst feelings I've ever experienced.

In the story retold in the blog the writer may not have been able to improve the outcome for the passenger but I believe that he did help.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 01:53 PM

KG2V, The story has been repeated countless times, all around the world, we never know if our training will be of help or of use but that's why we train and train and train, because somewhere out there someone will need our help and we will be there. They may die but that's Gods call not ours, that last few seconds or minutes on earth will make a difference to them, enough to know that someone was there with them in the end.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 02:05 PM

Yeah, I know - training does help, but sometimes, it doesn't.

I have had to unbuckle a dead person - went under the back of a truck , snapped off the ICC bar, hit the wheels hard enough to break them off the box - passing on the shoulder, blind hill.

Sigh
Posted by: armageddon_aviator

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 02:39 PM

As a paramedic, I responded to dozens of similar calls during my career.

As horrible as it may sound, you get used to that kind of scenes.
And it's a good thing. We wouldn't be able to do our job in a professional manner otherwise.

Deep inside however, under our tough "anti-emotionial armor" the scars do not heal so well, many EMS workers suffer from post traumatic syndrome (many do not admit it or are not even aware of it).

A call involving a young kid who died in my arms still haunts me.

And the event happened 20 years ago...
Posted by: Pete

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 02:51 PM

It happens. People die - and it's upsetting. Just because you have first aid or EMT training does not mean that you can save them. Sometimes all that you do is to utter a prayer.

Pete
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 04:43 PM

I think I would fairly safe in saying for those of us who have dealt with dead or dying patients, that teens, children and infants remain in your thoughts forever. My paramedic partner of many years dropped out due to a very difficult call involving an infant.

Pete
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 04:51 PM

Whatever the outcome, just showing up, trying to help in a competent manner and doing what you can means you've done a good job in my book.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 06:42 PM

I second that, I have the hardest time with kids. Never did until I had my own.
I've been in the Fire/EMS service for 20 years last month. Of the several thousand calls I've been on with 4 different departments I can vividly remeber the fatals, and the ones with kids.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 08:09 PM

Not to be cold, but the boyfriend made the decision not to wear that seatbelt. Decisions have consequences.

That's part of the whole "equipped to survive" thought process ... from planning and preparation, to day-to-day behavior.

I've spent their entire lifetimes teaching my children that cars (trucks) simply don't move without seatbelts fastened. They even fasten them while driving on our own property (we have a larger property). I hope and pray that they make the right decisions when I'm not around.
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 09:02 PM

For anyone that finds themselves in that sort of situation, you may be able to find some counselling if you're willing to ask for it. I know our local Red Cross has a team of volunteers (Disaster Mental Health) that can do critical incident stress debriefing (CISD). If someone called up the chapter and talked to the disaster department, they could probably hook them up with a counselor. I don't think our local CERT teams are far enough along to have that available, but they might be able to access fire/rescue resources since they're affiliated with them. A lot of churches could probably refer you to someone good or may even have someone on staff.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/30/09 11:18 PM

I sure do appreciate the men and women who have to deal with this type of tragedy on a regular basis. It is good to know that ya'll can work with a clear mind when us civilians would be in panic mode.

Posted by: sodak

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 10/31/09 01:51 AM

Sometimes the greatest contribution you can make is to be there so that someone doesn't die alone. Prayer is always a good thing too.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Sometime, all your training can't help - 11/01/09 02:09 AM

Been there more times than I ever thought I would.