EDC pocket knife recommendations?

Posted by: Matthew_L

EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 11:25 AM

My everyday carry knife is currently a beat-up Opinel, though I just purchased a CRKT RSK Mk5 for a survival kit. I'd like to get a good one-hand opening, locking folder under 4" long folded. I prefer Made in USA, as light and thin as possible, but I also want a relatively thick blade that can shrug off rough treatment. I should also mention that I tend to lose things so I don't want to spend over $50 and preferably substantially less. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 11:37 AM

The kabar dozier knives fit the bill. 3 inch blade, lockback, thin, and only a little over 2 ounces. Aus 8 steel. About $20. But made in Taiwan.
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 12:12 PM

I carry a Gerber folder with FAST draw. Great $30 knife. Excellent alternative to the expensive models.
Posted by: Russ

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 01:03 PM

KA-BAR Dozier Design Folding Clip Blade 3" Blade

At $19.95, you should buy two, it cuts down on shipping.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 01:21 PM

There are plenty of very different choices out there. My advice would be to make a list of your priorities first. If you're used to your Opinel, you'll actually have a hard time finding a pocket knife in any price range that cuts so well and so efficiently. It's all got to do with the Opinel's thin blade and acute edge geometry. Many folders are stronger or more heavy-duty but few come close in terms of sheer cutting or slicing ability.

For $50 you can get a seriously hardcore folder. I personally EDC a waved Endura, which is a pretty large but still light and slim knife. Spyderco has a lot to offer in the $50 range. The design is usually weird and takes some getting used to but at the end of the day their knives tend to be very functional, well made and the blade steel and heat treatment are usually top notch.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 01:24 PM

How about a CRKT M16, or one of the Lake 111s?. The "under $50" makes life tough
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 01:52 PM

Spyderco - Delica or Endura
Swiss army Brands have some nice one hand opening locking folders
Schrade 'Switch-it."

I like a pocket clip as well.

Teacher RO
Posted by: KG2V

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 02:15 PM

I thought about the Delica/Endura - and just about all the Spyderco line - problem is, they are over the $50 point - with both going around $57 street

As I said, the $50, and preferably much less makes things hard - real hard, to get a first rate knife. There are some good AUS-6/8 (or similar) alloy knives available from CRKT - who is pretty much THE budget knife maker out there. If I know someone looking for a very inexpensive but OK quality knife, that's where I tend to look (or in my stash of 'I used to carry this' knives if it's a good friend, and sell it to them for say $1, but..)

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
I thought about the Delica/Endura - and just about all the Spyderco line - problem is, they are over the $50 point - with both going around $57 street

As I said, the $50, and preferably much less makes things hard - real hard, to get a first rate knife. There are some good AUS-6/8 (or similar) alloy knives available from CRKT - who is pretty much THE budget knife maker out there. If I know someone looking for a very inexpensive but OK quality knife, that's where I tend to look (or in my stash of 'I used to carry this' knives if it's a good friend, and sell it to them for say $1, but..)

Thanks, and good to see I'm not the only one that follows the old, "Never give a knife," tradition.
Posted by: scafool

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 03:15 PM

Gerber EZ Out ~ $32 Canadian

Gerber EZ-Out Rescue Knife ~ $36 Canadian
(the rescue knife has a serrated edge and a blunt tip)

Wenger Ranger 51 ~ $28 Canadian

CRKT KISS ~ $35 Canadian
Posted by: haertig

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 03:16 PM

Check out the Byrd line of knives. They are made by Spyderco. You get a lot for your money. I have the "Robin" model and the "Meadowlark" model. These are the same knife, just in different sizes (the Robin is smaller). I also have a Spyderco "Native" which is more expensive than the Byrd's, but I actually like the Byrd's just as well. I EDC the "Robin" 95% of the time. The "Native" is EDC'ed the remaining 5%. I would EDC the Meadowlark too, but my daughter abscounded with it for her hiking activities!

http://newgraham.com/store/product/4713/Byrd-Robin-FRN-Plain-Edge-BY10PBK/

http://newgraham.com/store/product/2987/Meadowlark-PE-Black-FRN-BY04PBK/
Posted by: BrianB

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 03:49 PM

I'll second the Byrd line. Even though they're made offshore, by all reports the quality is well beyond what the price range suggests and up to Spyderco's standards.

Another line to consider is the Buck Vantage series. These are US made, and come in three steels: the standard 420HC, Sandvik 13C26, and S30V. The S30V model (with G10 scales) can be found for under $50 online, while the 420HC goes for around $20. The blade shape seems well-suited for outdoors use. This will probably be my next folder.

Here's a link to Knifecenter , since they have info on the whole line. If you shop around you may find a little lower prices.

Cutlery Shoppe has the S30V model for $39.75. I hear their shipping is on the high side, though, so may pay to compare. Still, it may be the cheapest price for a good quality knife in S30V:

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8688&HS=1

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 04:31 PM

Thanks, all!

I think I've decided to go with the Spyderco Dragonfly, which is small but should suit my needs. $36 from Amazon.com for the serrated model, $10 more for the plain blade, free shipping in either case.

Thoughts on/experience with the Spyderco Dragonfly, or strong feelings on plain vs. serrated?
Posted by: BrianB

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 04:40 PM

Knifecenter has a white handled plain edged one for $29.99.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP28PWH

Not sure if I like the white myself, but the price is good.

Edit: Spyderco serrations are excellent.

Here's a good article on plain vs. serrated from A.G. Russel:

http://www.agrussell.com/Articles/a/108/

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 04:51 PM

plain vs. serrated:
If the knife will used for cutting webbing, rope or other fibrous material, serrations help. Otherwise, I prefer plain edge knives. My EDC are all plain, the knife in the truck's console is fully serrated.
Posted by: scafool

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 05:04 PM

Plain for me because I use a knife for more than cutting rope.

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 06:05 PM

Thanks, everyone. I decided to spring for the plain blade, black handled Dragonfly from Amazon at $44 shipped.
Posted by: KenK

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 06:33 PM

I bought Kabar Dozier Spearpoint folders for my kids. My son carries his, but my daughter keeps her's in a drawer next to my "TV chair". It gets used ALLLLL the time in the house. Cutting open boxes, those nasty plastic cases, ... , and it has held up well.

I like my Rittergrip lots better, BUT I'm impressed with the Kabar Dozier.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 07:12 PM

You CAN get a Delica or Endura for $50 if you look hard enough (eBay). But even if the average street price is a few $ more, it's a great investment. You get a totally reliable folder with a strong and foolproof lock plus superior blade steel (VG-10). YMMV but I think Spyderco makes some of the best priced high performance folders at this point.

Re: CRKT, they have some interesting designs but I could never convince myself to get one of their folders. Their choice of blade steels like AUS-4/6 is a major turn off for me.

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Matthew_Long
I decided to spring for the plain blade, black handled Dragonfly

Good choice. You should be very happy with it. Spyderco makes great knives. I like your choice for a plain edge blade too. I've never liked serrations on smaller bladed knifes. For me, they get in the way more than they help. Especially if the smaller bladed knife is "partially serrated". There are not enough serrations, and not enough plain blade on a small knife - so it ends up being the worst of both worlds IMHO.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 07:41 PM

It may or may not fit the bill but I have found my Leatherman Wave to work well as my EDC knife.

The thumb opening slot allows quick one-handed opening and the blade locks open. This operation is as quick and as sure as it gets for right handed people. Lefties may need a bit more training and dexterity but not to much.

I keep it in the sheath on my belt oriented so that the straight blade falls under my thumb for immediate use but if I want a serrated blade instead of the straight I simply roll the knife over, still using one hand only, and the same thumb opening and locking features are available on the serrated blade.

The size is slightly thicker and heavier than most single blade folders with similar sized blades but not by so much as to be a burden. The fact that you get saw, file, pliers, several screwdriver blades and a scissors in a package just a little bulkier than a single blade folder is a pretty big bonus in my book. The size of these tools is a bit larger, more functional, than many multi-tools. The steel in the blades is fair to good. Functional but not exceptional.

Cost runs about $70 but as low as $55 on sale.
Posted by: raptor

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Especially if the smaller bladed knife is "partially serrated". There are not enough serrations, and not enough plain blade on a small knife - so it ends up being the worst of both worlds IMHO.

I know what you are talking about. smile Definitely the worst combination.

I also think that Dragonfly is a good choice. I have never handled it but itīs from Spyderco so I would expect very good quality. And it looks great too.
Their Byrd line is also great. I had wanted a very small and lightweight (backup) knife so I had got myself Byrd Starling but than I lost it one day. I liked it a lot so I recently purchased the same knife. Itīs really great. For the price you canīt beat it.
Posted by: Y_T_

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/09/09 08:31 PM

I can see Matthew already decided on a knife (congrats), but for anyone else who may read this later looking for a knife I wanted to give a +1 to haertig's post on the previous page. I've used both the standard Spyderco and the Byrd line and I've been very happy. Another Spyderco in that price range that's gotten good reviews is the Tenacious, which has been described as a real workhorse knife. Lots seem to prefer it in the full serrated.

Originally Posted By: Matthew_Long
strong feelings on plain vs. serrated?
(again, for any future readers) I have a combo edge on my 3.25" folder (Spyderco CatByrd, liner lock) and I actually like it. I use the knife several times a week and find it gives me flexibility for use. I can do fine cuts with the plain edge and I've used the serrated when cutting rope or opening boxes. Basically it lets me do both push cutting and slice cutting with one knife. The blade is long enough that I don't feel it's suffering from the "neither here nor there" issue. I like the combo edge for a multi-purpose knife, but I know some disagree.

FWIW, I have a plain edge Mora knife for different use, that's in my BOB. And the small Spyderco Finch (Byrd line, folder, lockback) in serrated edge for EDC/purse.

ETA: forgot to mention my bf has a small Spyderco lockback, 1.875" blade, full serration. I can't recall the model offhand because it's not longer produced, but I've borrowed it often and don't mind the full serration at that size at all.

When I was looking at knives I asked the same PE vs. SE question on knife forums and the answer usually ended up being "it depends" or "I like this... but they like that". laugh PE seems to be a good solid choice and is less complicated to sharpen if you're in doubt. But others argue that a SE is more practical for daily use (such as around the home or office) and it's easy to learn to sharpen serrations. So yeah, it seems there's no right answer. wink
Posted by: SCKAUTOCRAFT

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/10/09 01:14 AM

I am partial to the Cold Steel medium voyager.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/12/09 02:31 AM

My current EDC Folder is a Spyderco WAVED Endura with a plain blade that I got on sale for $55 Can. I also carry a small Gerber STL 2.0 in a slot on my cell phone pouch, I use this knife the most because it does not freak people out when I produce it.

I carry a red SAK Farmer when I am dressed-up and a Leatherman TTi if planning to be in the bush (usually with a fixed belt knife also).

I carry the Endura, a Buck Crosslock and an original Leatherman Wave when on the job.

Mike
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/12/09 07:45 PM

Another vote for the Spyderco regular line and Byrd line. I have two Natives ,a Delica and a Pacific Salt. Excellent value, worth the extra money. Simple , well made, dependable.

The Delica has the advantage that you can take it apart and clean it.

I also have a discontinued Byrd Crow with aluminum handles, also great value for money, the kind of knife you could lose and not be too upset about it....so it ends up my Monday to Friday carry and the higher end ones on the weekend when things are less hectic.

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/28/09 10:49 AM

After a looong wait (my mail situation is complicated) I received what felt like an empty Amazon box this morning. Inside was my new Spyderco Dragonfly! First impressions...

--Boy, it sure is light
--The blade is sharp and thick enough to last, I hope
--The one-handed opening is nice, but I'll need to work on my one-handed closing technique

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Matthew
Posted by: Hanscom

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 10/28/09 11:50 PM

What I developed for closing a lockback one-handed is the following:

1) Hold the knife tip down with your thumb on the lock on the back and the BACK of the blade near your leg.
2) Use your thumb to unlock the blade.
3) Start the blade closing by pressing the back of the blade against your leg.
4) As the blade starts to close, move your fingers to the sides of the handles.

This is NOT a technique to be hurried. Leads to bleeding and bad language.

For people who are nervous about fingers and blades, I have them hold the blade securely, unlock the lock, and fold the handle toward the blade. Control of the blade is better since it is always gripped.
Posted by: saniterra

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 11/20/09 04:12 PM

I too am very impressed by both the Spyderco and Byrd line of knives, folding or otherwise. I have the Spyderco Hossom Woodlander, Native and Delica and the Byrd Flight G10 and Finch. All of them have been very good knives. For the money, the Flight is a great knife - great blade shape, sharp, ergonomic and so forth, all for $25.00.
Posted by: Pete

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 11/20/09 06:57 PM

Matthew:

I'm deeply sympathetic to your desire to avoid losing expensive equipment. Yes ... it hurts when gear gets lost. But it's always worth spending some cash on a good knife. And folding knives are very handy - cuz' you've always got one on you.

Remember what those SAS blokes (commando's) in England like to say ... "You're only as sharp as your knife". Unless, of course, you are Bear Grylls. In that case you can always eat a member of your camera crew if you get really hungry!!!

Anyway, back to the knife ...

* No holes in the blade (forget it!)

* Partially-serrated blade is nice

* Blade length 3-4 inches is good for survival, blade length 5-6 inches is better for defense

* You can probably buy a good used folder from your local pawn store - there's a lot of gear on sale now that a recession is happening. But stick with good knife brands, and check the action & locking of the blade carefully.

Most outdoors people carry a knife.
But few know how to use one really well.

Pete
Posted by: Adventureboy

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 11/20/09 10:12 PM

LM Blast is a great 40$ multitool, Leatherman is THE ONLY multitool you should ever carry. (Gerber tool fans can challenge me on this over email.)You can Find lots of Cheap knives (price not quality) at www.cheaperthandirt.com or www.4lessdepot.com.
Hope this helps.

Adventureboy
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 11/20/09 10:16 PM

Current dress code at work precludes carrying a knife of this type. My current EDC (I guess you could say this is an Urban EDC) knife is an SAK, Boyscout Huntsman with red handles. But not the knife type that is the premise of your thread. I never really got into the large folding single bladed tactical knives scene. I do like the medium Cold Steel Voyager and Columbia River's line of large folders but, I think, they violate one of your requirements (neither model is made in the US). The RSK Mk 1 also looks very good but alas, violates another of your requirements (over $50). Whatever you pick I would avoid serrations as a plain edge is easier to maintain in the bush. Just my $.02 and sounds like you already made your choice anyway. Let us know how it works out. smile Doubt you will find anyone here that doesn't have an opinion on knives though.
Posted by: WILD_WEASEL

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 11/26/09 01:48 AM

As a contractor in Afghanistan my EDC is a Leatherman Skeletool. Its slim compact design marries the features of both the one hand folder and multi-tool. My only gripe is the factory edge on the main blade is crap, but a few hours on a white Arkansas stone cured that.

Cheers,
W-W

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/01/09 07:27 AM

Bad news to report, I'm afraid.

Following the discussion in this thread I purchased a Spyderco Dragonfly (FRN scales) with a plain edge. I was very happy with it's ergonomics and sharpness right out of the box, but a little skeptical of the plastic belt clip molded into the handle.

Well, my skepticism has been well-founded as the plastic clip broke off after a month of light use and everyday carry. I wear a suit and work in an office most days, so I haven't exactly been putting it to the test. I cut off the broken stub of the clip and sanded it down so it wouldn't snag in my pocket.

I have contacted Spyderco about next steps and the possibility of upgrading to a model with a steel clip, I'll let you know what they say.

Cheers,

Matthew
Posted by: ajax

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/03/09 01:03 PM

I thought I was late to this thread but your recent set back may have reopened your search.

Check out the new Buck Vantage series.
Made in the US, cheap, metal clip and larger blade than the Dragonfly.

You should also check out the SOG Twitch or Blink series. Aluminum handle, assisted opening, very slick. Those would be perfect for suit carry, maybe even as a billfold.

All of these are under $50.

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/03/09 08:54 PM

Good news on the Spyderco knife issue.

I was worried at first because it took some time to reach anyone at Customer Service: I had a hard time getting a person on the phone when I called after my e-mail inquiry went unanswered for three days.

But when I did reach the representative, she was courteous and helpful.

After consulting a supervisor, she agreed to give me a credit for the price of my knife to apply to a model with a metal clip, or no clip.

So, I'm out the shipping cost but I'll be able to upgrade to a hopefully sturdier knife.

Now, of course, I have to decide which one...again. ;-)
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/03/09 08:57 PM

Unfortunately I don't think Spyderco has mastered making a strong plastic clip.

Their metal clips, though, work very well for me. My EDC for a long time has been a Byrd Meadowlark, and the clip is as strong and tight as the day I got it. I wear this knife clipped to my waistband behind my right front pocket, with most of the clip hidden by my belt. For an inexpensive EDC folder, it's hard for me to imagine beating the Meadowlark.

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/03/09 09:17 PM

I am sorry to hear your clip broke on you so soon. I have never had any plastic clip knives because I have always been afraid of that happening. Also, with metal clips you can remove them if you want, plastic is forever (well, until if breaks!) And I'll state the obvious, at risk of making myself look dumb - make sure you carry it with the knife inside your pcoket and the clip hanging out - NOT the other way around with the clip inside your pocket and the knife hanging out. I've seen people do it the latter way (it doesn't work and you snag/break things).

Posted by: dweste

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/04/09 12:11 AM

Sigh. In California statutes and local ordinances make almost any knife is illegal to carry, regardless of type if it has a blade much over an inch long.

So far I have not been hassled when carrying knives camping, hiking, etcetera. Nor have small knives been confiscated when going through various security, though occasionally I have the choice of forfeiting the knife forever or heading back out the door [usually there is a check-in and get-back-on-your-way-out procedure].

My point: Check local knife carry law and local practices where you go often as part of your EDC decision.

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/04/09 12:41 AM

Where in CA are you having carry issues? To which ordinances do you refer?
Posted by: dweste

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/04/09 12:49 AM

Just look up knife laws in the California Penal Code on Findlaw and in any online set of city or county ordinances. It is a mishmash but the lowest common denominator / most widely legal knife would seem to be one with a blade of no longer than one inch. And of course no cane blades, switchblades, butterfly knives, etcetera.

Now go onto the website for any university, college, or school. Check out the rules for courthouses. Pretty unifomly zero knife tolerance.

Let's not even get started with TSA and federal law. Mr. Ritter has done a lot of good work in this area but it is far from permanently settled.

Finally, check the rules where you work, at the mall where you shop, etc.

So where are you going to be carrying your EDC when security or the local LEO asks ", Any knives?"

Edit: I EDC only a supposedly TSA-approved air carrier SAK whose only "blade" is a metal nail file a little over 2 inches long with no sharpened edges. It stills draws problems from time to time.
Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/04/09 04:47 AM

What do the following have in common

Apparently they are an equal threat to the Hoover Dam!

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/05/09 10:54 PM

Back to the Spyderco issue, made in USA was one of my original criteria (though the Dragonfly blade is made in Japan). If I drop that criteria when I look through their site I actually found a number of seemingly good, inexpensive small knives.

I may well go with three less expensive models in exchange for my one Dragonfly with the broken clip. Chaosmagnet has already commented on the Byrd Meadowlard. Anyone else have experience with other less expensive Spyderco models and want to share their thoughts?

I appreciate the discussion of other brands in a general sense, but since I'm getting a credit from Spyderco I'd particularly like to hear about their knives.

Cheers,

Matthew
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/06/09 03:13 PM

Native.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/06/09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Matthew_L
Anyone else have experience with other less expensive Spyderco models and want to share their thoughts?

Matthew

I have a Byrd Raven, you can probably pick up a Byrd for less than $30.00. The steel is 8CR13MOV and the knife is made in China. Benchmade also uses this steel, but their knives IIRC usually cost between $15.00 and $20.00 more

It is actually my EDC during the hectic weekdays because I don't want to lose my Natives or Delica.

I am quite happy with it as a beater, but if I had to have one knife I would go with the upper end Spyderco models like a Native.
Posted by: timo

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/06/09 08:57 PM

Do you like (or prefer) lockbacks or liner locks?

I prefer liner locks. This is something to think about.

Along those lines the discontinued Michael Walker Lightweight C37 is one of my all time favorite Spyerco's. I've gotten two of these on ebay so far to replace my lost original. May be slightly out of your specified price range but I'm a strong advocate of spending a little more for the product that fits your functional needs rather than a one-time price point.

You're going to live with this tool for years, why not spend the extra $10-$15?
Get the right tool and you'll thank yourself every time you use it.

The Dragonfly is great but frankly a little small although I EDC'd one for 5 years.
Going from the Dragonfly to the Michael Walker was a revelation in better ergonomics and faster un-deployment. As I said, I prefer liner locks.
I also have a Native which I make my primary folder when hiking or camping but it's a little large for EDC for me. Great knife even though it's a lock back.

The Persistence is a great knife value for the money. I've done a lot of customizing on mine but it's difficult to beat for the price.

Another one of my very recent favorites is the Boker Hyper. Boker is another good brand. the Hyper is made in China but designed by Chad Los Banos from Hawaii.
About $38 and worth it.

Re: EDC pocket knife recommendations? - 12/06/09 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: timo
Do you like (or prefer) lockbacks or liner locks?

This is a good point to bring up. My preferences differ from timo's. I prefer lockbacks.

In my opinion, liner locks are generally easier to operate - for sure when closing one handed - than lockbacks. But lockbacks are generally the stronger and more secure locking mechanism. Both types are quite serviceable and work well, so it really does come down to personal preference.