My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived

Posted by: aloha

My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/08/09 06:20 AM

Got it in the mail today. 4sevens delivery is very prompt.

While I have no intention of carrying it this way, it does fit in an altoids tin for those that may be interested in using a AA light in a survival kit.

Here's a beam shot against an outside wall from about three feet.

On low.

On high.

Beam shot to a tree about ten feet away.

On low.

On high.

These beam shots were after about 20-30 minutes of continuous use in both high and low modes with an Eneloop AA. At one point, I had it hanging on high mode and after 5-10 minutes, the light was very hot. After grabbing and running it in warm water, it cooled within seconds. While holding it, it got quite warm but not as hot as when it was cooling only into air.

It will replace my Fenix L0D Q4 as my EDC light for the time being. I really like the L0D, but the EZ AA is just much brighter on high and has a much longer run time on low.

My EDC pocket carry.

Posted by: dandruff

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/08/09 01:31 PM

Nice! I've been carrying a LOD on my keychain for many years now, is the Nitecore much larger?
Posted by: Todd W

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/08/09 03:14 PM

That is some light!
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/08/09 03:44 PM

Here's a size comparison

As you can see the NiteCore EZ AA is impressively small for an AA flashlight but the Zebralight H50 has just got the edge on size. But the Nitecore will probably be a little more practical due to the conventional beam shape rather than the Zebralight uses. Using an Energiser Lithium AA would give the NiteCore EZ AA a very lightweight and dependable flashlight for use in an Altoids tin or for EDC. It looks to be very impressive and can even be used as an improvised hand warming device grin

I also like the tripod thread on the Nitecore base so it can be used with one of those little handheld camera tripods such as the little Gorillapod.

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/09/09 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: dandruff
Nice! I've been carrying a LOD on my keychain for many years now, is the Nitecore much larger?

It is about a cm longer and 1-2 mm larger in diameter. That's it. But it is much brighter and has a longer run time.

I have been carrying the LOD for a while also. I actually decided on getting something brighter about a year ago when I was walking down a pitch black trail one night and using the LOD. While it is enough to easily see the trail and get you to your destination safely, it just wasn't going to do for looking at anything and at any appreciable distance. But the LOD for EDC and as a backup is great. So far, the EZ AA is better to me.

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/09/09 05:02 AM

Thanks guys.

Great comparison shot.
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/09/09 01:18 PM

Am_Fear_Liath_Mor:

For us ignorant newbies, what's what in the pic?
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/09/09 06:10 PM

From left to Right

Eneloop AA Cell

Nitecore EZ AA http://www.light-reviews.com/nitecore_ez_aa/

Nitecore D10 http://www.light-reviews.com/nitecore_d10/

Myshondt Aeon Flashlight http://muyshondt.net/index.shtml

Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_ld01_ss/

Zebralight H50 http://www.light-reviews.com/zebralight_h50/

Niteflux LF5 XT http://www.light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf5xt/

Fenix LD10 http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_ld20/ **LD20 review which is the 2 AA version

Posted by: raptor

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/09/09 08:18 PM

That looks like excellent light. I like the dimensions. And the tripod thread is great idea. Thanks for the review.
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/10/09 04:00 PM

Thanks, Am_Fear!
Posted by: atoz

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/19/09 08:54 PM

Why are all flashlight recommendations for 50$+ cost??????

cheers

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/20/09 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: raptor
That looks like excellent light. I like the dimensions. And the tripod thread is great idea. Thanks for the review.

I bought it for its size and capabilities. So far, I am liking it.

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/20/09 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: atoz

cheers

Atoz,

The countycomm $1 fauxtons are great value in my opinion too. Those are a buck each.

I chose the EZ AA because it is small for a AA light and bright. Being waterproof is a big plus for me too. I haven't found one that fits those criteria for cheap.

4sevens had a 30-35% off coupon code on the NiteCore lights. Unfortunately, it came out a week after I bought mine. That would bring the cost to under $40.
Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/20/09 01:11 AM

<50c and free shipping these are pretty hard to beat.
They are very bright (2x3V batteries and no regulator) they are well enough built that they are pretty water proof.
They have a switch to lock on in addition to press to light but with no regulation the battery would only last a few hours.

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1100 or (black http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253)
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/20/09 03:57 AM

cheers

Mostly because these lights are reliable and well built. Over the years I have discovered that spending a bit more money on a quality built item once is better then spending two, three, four or more times over again on slightly cheaper items that are not as well built.

That being said, I have been burnt by expensive tools that just didn't cut the mustard and have been surprised by some less expensive tools that rocked.

I personally LOVE my little NiteCore EZ AA... it is a pretty cool little light that is well built and as bright as I expected. I almost like this light more then my NovaTac EDC120P that I have been carrying for a few years now. For the money (and the money you can save on batteries) I would go as far as saying it is a better light if you don't need/want a tail-cap switch. I can't wait to try one of NiteCore's Smart Piston Drive lights.
Posted by: Alex

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/21/09 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania

Mostly because these lights are reliable and well built.

I disagree. IMHO, mostly because there are so many different cheap flashlights and so cheap prices for components that there is no feasible reason to compete for the best (low) price. Instead the manufacturers rise the price (sometimes using unreasonably expensive components, sometimes charging just for the name on it) to make their product to stand out of the crowd. There is no other reason. I saw China made flashlights with fantastic bodies but bad electronics, with excellent electronics but flimsy casing. With bad everything but with very desirable side features/accessories... All for under $20.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/21/09 01:15 AM

Quote:
I saw China made flashlights with fantastic bodies but bad electronics, with excellent electronics but flimsy casing. With bad everything but with very desirable side features/accessories... All for under $20.

How much would those lights be if you combined all of the above, good electronics, good casing and good side features? I doubt it would be $20 or less.

In the end it is your money, spend it on the product you like. I have no problem spending $50 or even $100+ on a tool that works repeatedly in the environments and conditions I need them to work in.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 10/21/09 03:55 AM

The top-tier lights are not likely to disappoint in any area except perhaps price. That makes them a safe recommendation until we learn other things, such as the intended use, budget, etc.

Next time someone asks for a recommendation maybe I'll suggest a Surefire Beast! eek
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 11/20/09 05:54 PM

Great looking light. Which LED did you go for, the Cree or the Q5? Reasons? Any info about warranty?

I got a little cash for my birthday and I might just indulge myself. (And I hate AAA batteries. Rip off IMO.)
Posted by: Russ

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 11/20/09 05:59 PM

Check out 7777's Preon2. Titanium, and thin enough to slide into a front pocket like an EDC folder.
Low: 2.2 OTF Lumens, 23 hours
Medium: 22 OTF Lumens, 6 hours
High: 160 OTF Lumens, 0.8 hours
Strobe
SOS
Beacon (Hi)
Beacon (Lo)

The first time I lit off the High mode inside was a wake-up -- won't do that again.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: My NiteCore EZ AA just arrived - 11/20/09 06:34 PM

Geez, you guys are killing me.

This is going to be an expensive order.

cool