My FAK -Photos

Posted by: Jeff_M

My FAK -Photos - 09/29/09 10:26 PM

This is my car FAK, one of a few for different purposes:

These are the contents of the top compartment:

Top row: Bulb aspirator, oral airways, pocket mask, suction device, marker pen, center punch, trauma shears.

Midle row: Gloves, ace wrap, ammonia inhalants, alcohol gel, bandaids, mylar blanket, roller gauze.

Bottom row: Cederoth bloodstoppers, triangular bandages, alcohol wipes, tapes.

These are the contents of the lower compartment:

Top row: Burn sheet, infection control kit.

Middle row: Adhesive triage tags, paramedic cheat book, gowns and masks, BP cuff and stethoscope, Asherman chest seal, Sam splint, more gloves.

Bottom row: Vaseline gauze, emesis bag, trauma dressings, abdominal pads (mid-size dressings), bulk 4x4s, plastic blanket.

The case is just a cheap plastic file box from the discount rack at an office supply store, but it's rigid and waterproof, so it fits my needs. Most things are vacuum packed. This is not a disaster/EOTWAWKI kit. It is just a small kit I keep in the car. After 30 years as a paramedic, I have a decent fix on what I really want and need, and know how to improvise. But I am, as ever, open to suggestions, comment and criticisms, and I invite yours.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/29/09 10:47 PM

Is there a pine tree growing inside your home???

Looks good. Even if several items are beyond my training.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/29/09 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Is there a pine tree growing inside your home???

Rustic pine tree-themed family room, that's the pattern in the rugs. ;-)

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/29/09 11:02 PM

A'HA, I see now.
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/29/09 11:05 PM

i am by no means an expert. But i have found hemostats extremely useful. or is that function served by a different item?

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/29/09 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
i am by no means an expert. But i have found hemostats extremely useful. or is that function served by a different item?

A lot of folks agree with you, but I've never felt the need for them, personally. Direct pressure, elevation, compression, pressure points, and tourniquets will usually suffice for hemostasis. I might add some clotting agents,though. I consider field use of hemostats mainly useful for pissing off vascular surgeons.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/29/09 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_M

A lot of folks agree with you, but I've never felt the need for them, personally. Direct pressure, elevation, compression, pressure points, and tourniquets will usually suffice for hemostasis. I might add some clotting agents,though. I consider field use of hemostats mainly useful for pissing off vascular surgeons.

Nice!
Posted by: Kona1

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 12:13 AM

Jeff, that kit is beyond my skillset by a mile but I notice that you don't have respirators in any of your kits or a means to irrigate wounds,is that too simplistic or am I more of a newbie than I thought?

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Kona1
I notice that you don't have respirators in any of your kits or a means to irrigate wounds

Pocket mask + one way valve + Mk 1 lungs = respirator. I won't be closing anyone's wounds, so irrigation is left up to the ER or home care, but I do have a 60cc syringe as well as plastic bags (make a pinhole and squeeze) and a bulb aspirator, if needed.
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 04:01 AM

I use hemostats for other-than-intended purposes. Such as, tweezers, clamp onto a ripped toenail to have a handle, latch onto a tiny little tick, so on. Your training obviously far exceeds my own, so I respect your views.

P.s. They are awesome in a fishing vest also.
Posted by: Xterior

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 04:25 AM

Probably a stupid question, but what's the purpose of the center punch ?
Posted by: stargazer

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 09:17 AM

Xterior,

The center punch is used for gaining access into a car or other vehicle through the back or side windows. You basically place the punch up to the window and press until the punch (which is spring loaded) makes a popping sound. This usually breaks the window completely. They work the best if used in the corners of the window. The punch is similar to the RES-Q-ME tool.

Jeff,

That is a very nice kit, I had not thought of the portable file cabinet container like that before. I usually see a bunch of these portable containrs at either a thrift store or a yard sale. Never even gave any thought to using them for a FAK. Thanks for the idea.

The only recommendations I see you need to do would be to...

Update the Informed Guide (paramedic cheat book) lots of good info in the newer ones.
Unless I am not seeing them add another couple triangular bandages.
Add another Sams splint.

Glad to see I am not the only one who uses the Cederoth Bloodstopper bandages. laugh

Take care,

Stargazer
Posted by: jcurphy

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 09:55 AM

Have you considered adding some basic meds, such as: aspirin, tylenol, motrin (analgesics), benadryl (antihistamine); also consider: glutose (oral glucose), neosporin (topical antibiotic), orajel (topical anesthetic), vaseline, lip balm, electrolyte packets, betadyne, biohazard bags, tweezers, small paper cups, bottle of sterile saline (wound irrigation), water, and a couple of small child toys (VERY useful if you have to give first aid to a kid).

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Xterior
Probably a stupid question, but what's the purpose of the center punch ?

Stargazer answered it, but the only stupid questions are the unasked ones.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: stargazer
... Update the Informed Guide (paramedic cheat book) lots of good info in the newer ones.

When I replace my current one with a new one, it will go into the kit.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jcurphy
Have you considered adding some basic meds. . . ?

Yes. I have these in my BOB and backpacking FAKs. But the car FAK is mainly for treating strangers alng the highway, so no meds or ALS stuff. I have food for diabetics, water bottles, biohazard bags, etc. in my car. I won't be irrigating wounds since I won't be closing wounds, just dressing them. BTW, punching a pinhole through the cap of a water bottle and squeezing makes a nice irrigation stream. Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 12:49 PM

I use hemostats for other-than-intended purposes. Such as, tweezers, clamp onto a ripped toenail to have a handle, latch onto a tiny little tick, so on. Your training obviously far exceeds my own, so I respect your views.

P.s. They are awesome in a fishing vest also.

I apologize if my initial reply unintentionally sounded harsh. You are entirely correct that hemostats have dozens of useful applications, and are mighty handy tools for lots of things related to first aid, just not hemostasis. ;-)

In fact, I'll add one to my kit. Thank you for the good suggestion.
Posted by: PureSurvival

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 02:16 PM

A nice kit, the think that stands out is that it contains the kit you need apposed to many peoples kits that contains the kit that they think they need and often don't know how to use.
Posted by: dchinell

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 03:28 PM

Jeff: Can you say what's in the "infection control kit"? Also can you recommend a source for the "cheat book"? -- Bear
Posted by: Xterior

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 06:49 PM

[quote=Xterior]

Well still it's a bit of a stupid question. I thought you actually used it to treat someone instead of breaking a window.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 07:12 PM

I might add a basic instruction book/ sheet for others to use. More gloves.
A basic light or two. Notebook, pen.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I might add a basic instruction book/ sheet for others to use. More gloves. A basic light or two. Notebook, pen.

I wonder where I could find a basic 1st aid phamplet or booklet? There is a pen and I can always write on the triage tags in the kit. I have multiple lights in the car and EDC a light, but putting another in the kit is a good idea, thanks.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: dchinell
Jeff: Can you say what's in the "infection control kit"? Also can you recommend a source for the "cheat book"? -- Bear

Full gown, mask, bonnet, shoe covers, gloves, biohazard bag, BZK towelletes.

EMS Field Guide, one of many sources.

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Xterior
[quote=Xterior]

Well still it's a bit of a stupid question. I thought you actually used it to treat someone instead of breaking a window.

Well, I guess I could use it to make a nice cricoid puncture for an airway. ;-)
Posted by: MDinana

Re: My FAK -Photos - 09/30/09 10:40 PM

Not bad Jeff. I'd personally have a few more gauze rolls, or a few of the fluffier "Kerlix" ones in addition to the ones you already have. I find they can take the place of a handful of 4x4s for the big bleeders.

I missed if you have tape. If not, maybe some would be prudent.

As much as I hate to admit it, bandaids can come in handy. I found that out last week after slicing my finger enough to bleed for 20 minutes, but not enough to waste a 4x4 on. Go figure.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: My FAK -Photos - 05/07/10 03:11 PM

Band-aids. Carry a bunch - they're light and useful.
( after meds they are the item that most often needs to be refilled)
Posted by: hikermor

Re: My FAK -Photos - 05/08/10 12:16 AM

Band-aids ride along in the wallet/purse so that you don't even have to resort to the FAK for the easy ones..........