Emergency Weather Alert Radio...need advice

Posted by: Hookpunch

Emergency Weather Alert Radio...need advice - 08/25/09 11:27 PM

Last week we had a couple of tornadoes touch down close to where I live. Fortunately it was around 6:00pm so I was ready and watching the skies.

Still though it occurred to me that if it had been the middle of the night and we had all been asleep it could have been a disaster.

So I am looking at weather alert radios.

Any opinions on this one? Oregon Scientific Weather Alert

Or any other suggestions would be good.

Thanks
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Emergency Weather Alert Radio...need advice - 08/26/09 12:32 AM

I made a recommendation in this thread. If you have questions regarding the Midland WR-300, I'll be glad to try to answer them.
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Emergency Weather Alert Radio...need advice - 08/26/09 01:40 AM

You probably want one with SAME, which can block messages that don't pertain to your county. The broadcast stations are much bigger than a county, and can wake you up in the middle of the night for a thunderstorm over 100 miles away. Won't be much good to you after you turn it off.

I've got this oregon scientific model now. It sucks less than the Midland I had before, I don't have to read the manual every time I pick it up.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Emergency Weather Alert Radio...need advice - 08/26/09 05:03 PM

Oh, and get one with battery back-up , too.
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Emergency Weather Alert Radio...need advice - 08/27/09 12:43 AM

T.J. Maxx stores have been selling a $30 Weather Channel brand weather radio with an LED light, hand-crank generator, for $9.99. I've bought 3, so far, one for the office, one for home, one for a gift.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Emergency Weather Alert Radio...need advice - 08/27/09 01:32 PM

My advice:

If you want a radio that you can sit on a desk or countertop most of the time, but grab and go if needed, then I recommend the Oregon Scientific WR601.

The WR602 is similar, but has a NiMH rechargeable battery.

If you want a tiny handheld weather alert radio, the Midland HH50 is about as small as you can get right now and works quite well, though it doesn't have digital display and it only runs on batteries (no AC connection).