Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof?

Posted by: Compugeek

Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof? - 08/14/09 05:31 PM

I've seen posts here and elsewhere that seem to indicate that after you print on waterproof paper, even inkjet printing is now protected. That it somehow protects the otherwise water-soluble ink (provided you use a suitable waterproof paper, of course).

Is this true? The paper somehow absorbs the ink and protects it? I could print my contact list and emergency info on the appropriate paper, and don't have to laminate it to protect it from casual water damage (rain, dew, fog, sneezing, etc.)?
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/14/09 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Compugeek
I've seen posts here and elsewhere that seem to indicate that after you print on waterproof paper, even inkjet printing is now protected. That it somehow protects the otherwise water-soluble ink (provided you use a suitable waterproof paper, of course).

Is this true? The paper somehow absorbs the ink and protects it? I could print my contact list and emergency info on the appropriate paper, and don't have to laminate it to protect it from casual water damage (rain, dew, fog, sneezing, etc.)?

Not in my experience. See www.riteintherain.com - they make the stuff.

Posted by: JohnN

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/14/09 06:38 PM

You might try treating with Nikwax Map Proof. I've used this before, but on pre-printed maps, not ink jet created documents.

I'd be interested to hear your results.

-john
Posted by: scafool

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/14/09 07:22 PM

I have the same comment as Martin.
On some of the waterproof papers I used to wash ink off so I could use the notebook some more.

I did find that the Write-in-the-rain notes really held pencil well and resisted erasering more than I expected, even though it did smudge a bit more.
Posted by: yelp

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/14/09 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: scafool
I did find that the Write-in-the-rain notes really held pencil well and resisted erasering more than I expected, even though it did smudge a bit more.

Agreed. I've been able to take observations in downpours and am still able, after years of neglect (improper packing and having loose leafs rub against each other), to transcribe my notes. Using a hard, small diameter pencil lead minimizes smudging.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/14/09 08:27 PM

I've also used RITR stuff. Nice stuff. Able to hold pen, but you do smudge a bit. I find the Space Pen works better than a regular pen, probably b/c it's forced out under a tiny bit of pressure. I have had regular pins "slip" across the paper and not write.

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/14/09 09:58 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'll stick with plan A: laminate sealed-edge after printing on regular paper.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/15/09 07:26 PM

Compugeek,

The paper most have talked about is the standard RITR paper that has been around for years. They have developed two new papers that are for copying. I have not yet used the ink-jet paper, but the paper for copiers works well (even for underwater forms). The inkjet paper is described by Darling (the maker) for use as you described. I am not sure I would expect it to work underwater, but their products have always been first rate and I expect no difference here.

I hope to try some this winter, if you don't have an answer by then, I will post my results.

The best,

Jerry Fountain
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/17/09 02:51 PM

I print my trail topos on National Geographic "adventure paper" that I got on sale at like 75% off. For all I know, it may be sourced from Rite in the Rain. But it seems to work. I've tested my topos by letting them dry thoroughly (overnight) then putting them underwater in the sink and scrunching them. There is a very slight amount of smudge here and there, but I would estimate the map remains 98% usable. I dunno how it works.

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/17/09 04:01 PM

And that's with standard inkjet ink?

Hmmmm....
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/18/09 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Compugeek
And that's with standard inkjet ink?

Ya, the standard stuff that runs in a consumer grade HP inkjet printer.

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/18/09 07:28 PM

Okay, that's a testimony for Nat. Geo. Adventure Paper.

Anyone else with testimony for other papers?
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/18/09 08:21 PM

I also have some the of the Nat. Geo. paper. If I can remember, I can try it out on my printer (Canon i960 -- inkjet).

Note that even if it is fairly waterproof, for rugged -- "depend on it" duty, you probably want to protect further -- put in a map case, laminate, etc.

-john

Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof - 08/19/09 02:36 AM

I'm just curious how well they work at this point, and unwilling to drop that much money at this time for an experiment. None of the reviews I found confirmed that they made the printing water resistant, too.