Surplus gas mask craze

Posted by: Tom_L

Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 07:28 AM

Cheap surplus gas masks have always been on the market in large quantities (mostly Soviet/Eastern Bloc). But as of late, I've noticed many more Western surplus gas masks, especially from Finland, in the $15-20 range.

I have no idea why and how but I see these masks marketed as protection against the swine flu plus all the usual bio/chemical/nuclear threats. It seems people are buying them in serious quantities and even attempt to use them in hazardous environments.

From what I've seen, the filters are usually from the 1970's so with a shelf life of about 10 years they're already way past their prime. I'm no expert but I've always been taught old gas mask filters past their useful life should never be used and as the chemicals in them break down, aside from not working as they're supposed to, they might in fact pose a health hazard.

I don't know whether any of it depends on proper storage but I've been under the impression that all gas mask filters have a very definite shelf life and once past, must be disposed of. So what is going on with all the people getting old gas masks these days? Do the filters really last longer than the date says? Are there any real differences between Eastern Bloc and Western filters? Or is everyone buying surplus gas masks just wasting money on obsolete, potentially lethal gear?
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 12:10 PM

IMO, old gas masks should not be trusted.

Over time, rubber dry rots and cracks, making a complete seal an impossibility. Then there are the age and breakdown factors of the filters and chemical agents.

IMO, gas masks are another useful layer of personal protection IN A SHELTER.

Wearing a mask and moving about (walking, working, etc) is very laborious and HOT. A mask is used to get out of a hot area when you've been caught out in the open. The average person will have to move slow or else the act of breathing becomes very tiring, depending on your size and state of physical conditioning.

I have recently become more aware of the importance of having the right "fit" of your personal mask to your facial structure. The mask may be sealed, but if it is the wrong size for your face, then it will leak as you move around, moving your head to different angles, as you work.
Posted by: Lon

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 02:05 PM

I was impressed with this Gas Mask from Nitro-Pak.
It's a "step up" in price... about $100.00, but the mask is new, and it includes a new filter that's "in date". The mask also includes a "practice filter" so you can try fitting/wearing the mask without wasting the new filter.
The mask is offered in both Adult and Child sizes.
Posted by: Lon

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800

I have recently become more aware of the importance of having the right "fit" of your personal mask to your facial structure. The mask may be sealed, but if it is the wrong size for your face, then it will leak as you move around, moving your head to different angles, as you work.

I have also read that you can't effectively use a gas mask if you have a beard; you will not be able to get a good seal where the facial hair meets the mask.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Lon
Originally Posted By: wildman800

I have also read that you can't effectively use a gas mask if you have a beard; you will not be able to get a good seal where the facial hair meets the mask.

And that is why you see clean shaven service members. Not to mention firefighters.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 04:16 PM

Prior to Y2K gas masks were a CRAZE! The 15$ ones going for $80 and then $200+ as it got near, etc...

I just use the 3M ones that take the 2091 filters, and then the other filters if you are around chemicals. These work way better than the disposable ones when working around welding dust, drywall dust, etc, etc... They are not full face shields but I don't have a reason for one of them wink
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 05:27 PM

How high a priority should a gas mask be on my equipment list?
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 06:23 PM

I would say very low. Unless you are fit tested (facial fit and respiratory compliance testing), have training, know when to don one with the correct filter, which is in-date, you are pretty much throwing your money away.

Just my 2 cents-

Pete
Posted by: comms

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Still_Alive
How high a priority should a gas mask be on my equipment list?

Gas mask I would rate very low on the equipment list but....

I would recommend having a basic N95 respirator mask from 3M in at least your car kit and possibly your EDC if you carry a backpack or Maxpedition.

I have one in each BOB, in case I deal with high dust and airborne particulates. I have actually used one in a monsoon dust storm, but a buff headwear or bandanna would just as good most likely.

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/03/09 10:09 PM

That's why the CNO and the Commandant made us shave our beards but most us kept smooth shaven from the jaw line down and very few people had any "seal problems" but the excuse was sufficient.

Being "smartass sailors", many of us placed our facial hairs in envelopes addressed to either the CNO or COMMANDANT, as was appropriate!!! That's probably the closest that the USN and/or the USCG has come to servicewide Mutinies,,,,,mutinies without sedition!!!!!! at that!!!!!!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 01:46 AM

Actually, the beard depends on the type of mask.

"Gas masks" work by drawing air through a filter. These need a fit, or "bad" air gets in too via the gaps in the face.

the SCBA worn by firefighters is positive-pressure. theoretically facial hair shouldn't be too much of a problem, as the air blows when a person inhales - and should blow out any smoke creeping in. That being said, fit IS important... it's just there is a different mechanism of avoiding toxins. Recall that a SCBA technically is a level of chemical-exposure protection.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 04:30 AM

Umm, that is all good but I was really asking about the shelf life of surplus gas masks and filters... Namely, that folks are buying 1970's masks and intend to actually use them to protect themselves against all kinds of threats.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 03:46 PM

Rule of thumb; if there is a filter on it, and NOT in a sealed package, the filter is useless. Even the BEST filters in the worst possible conditions are, at best, rated for 24 hours. If you are purchasing gas masks that already have filters on them, they are worthless, unless you can get hold of new filters.

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Rule of thumb; if there is a filter on it, and NOT in a sealed package, the filter is useless. Even the BEST filters in the worst possible conditions are, at best, rated for 24 hours. If you are purchasing gas masks that already have filters on them, they are worthless, unless you can get hold of new filters.

Remember the old rule about some "contaminates" causing the filters to go bad really fast?

How on earth were we supposed to change the filters on an M17 if we could not exit the contaminated area in time. Those things were a pain to change!!!
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 09:14 PM

Yes, they were. I was in when they went to the M21's...about 5 years after the Brits. Whoever decided that a cheek filter, with an 8 hr life, and 20 mins to change, ought to be fired! A screw in filter is SO much simpler!!

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 09:28 PM

I hate to admit this, but I always had an additional antidote in mind if I began showing true NBC contamination symptoms. It had to do with the muzzle of my sidearm, and my temple.

But I guess I shouldn't admit that, right?
Posted by: comms

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 11:26 PM

Maybe this TRUE rating on a snope.com link will further push this thread. Fuel for the fire?

Red Thomas 'Real Deal'

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/04/09 11:28 PM

I totally agree Desperado

Re: Surplus gas mask craze - 08/05/09 01:15 AM

Would have rather had a riot gun, but didn't have one available.