Looking for a river knife

Posted by: Roarmeister

Looking for a river knife - 07/27/09 07:58 PM

I am in the market for a river knife (kayaking, canoeing, snorkelling).
A couple knives that I was taking a look at:
Wenoka Squeeze Titanium [also available in cheaper stainless steel]
Spyderco Caspian2 Salt
Benchmade River Knife

The knife need not be that expensive as the Benchmade or Spyderco. I already use a Salt 1 (Delica form factor) as my EDC and have a Pacific Salt in my vehicle first aid kit. I've been using my Salt 1 in my PFD outer pocket but would like to have a knife attached to the outside instead and have my Salt 1 on person after I take off the PFD.

I really like the H-1 steel. Naturally, I want to lash it to my PFD for easy access and rust resistant or rust proof is a requirement. A blunted tip or sheep-foot is preferred [or even a Tanto]

Any other suggestions?
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Looking for a river knife - 07/27/09 08:12 PM

Have a look at the gerber river runner or gerber river shorty (shorty is blunt tip, all serrated blade). I have the river runner and it is quite adequate. There are a number of attachment options with the sheath, which is a big plus in my book.

About $25 for either knife through Amazon or Ebay.

I have no idea what the stainless steel is, but it's fine. And if you lose the knife, you won't be out a lot of money.

Another interesting option is the Cold Steel super edge or real edge knife(s). The blade is only 2 inches long and it's a three finger handle, but a good backup knife. Very sharp serrations.

Not useful against a hammerhead shark though.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Looking for a river knife - 07/27/09 10:37 PM

I`ll look up the one I have.. It's a titanium dive knife.

I wanted something that I wouldn't have to worry about rusting, something that I could take apart, and something that would latch securely and it fits all those. However, it's not a very multi-purpose knife... works good for cutting rope, etc, etc... not really for cutting branches and the like due to it's weight (SUPER LIGHT).

For the price <$75 and serving my purpose (cutting rope, and other water related tasks) it's a great value.

I still carry my SOG Flash II folder on my bathsuite when I`m at the lake, river, etc... no rust on it and the mechanism is still going strong after years of this.

-Todd
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Looking for a river knife - 07/28/09 02:51 AM

Here's another series of dive and river knives you may want to look at, besides the gerber models I suggested. I don't own, but reviews on several websites have been good, considering the reasonable cost.

McNett dive knives - they come in a variety of models.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=mcnett+dive+knife
Posted by: dweste

Re: Looking for a river knife - 07/28/09 04:54 AM

Happy with my Gerber River Shorty, but I also carry a wicked sharp titanium dive knife just incase.
Posted by: jmarkantes

Re: Looking for a river knife - 07/28/09 04:01 PM

NRS has a few options- the usual well known ones plus a few of their own, including a mini version and titanium Pilot:
NRS Knives

I've had the Pilot (basic version) for a couple years. It's held up well so far, but then I'm not running rivers as hard as I used to. I've definitely lost a lot of knives, including from Gerber and Kershaw and Wenoka. But with the usual rubber band bit that's help keep them there until needed.
J