Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of)

Posted by: KG2V

Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 02:47 PM

OK, before you go all freaky on me - notice the sort of

I've carried a pocket knife (except where/when prohibited by law) since I was 11.

About 2-3 years ago, I got a Leatherman Charge TTi, and stopped carrying a seperate knife as an EDC. Last year, I added a nice wood inlay Sebenza back to my EDC.

I've noticed that despite having the Sebbie on me, I'm more likely to grab the TTi - it fits my hand well, the blade actually stays sharp about as long as the Sebbie (first Leatherman I've owned where I can say that). The "other" tools on the leatherman are useful to have

I already have another blade in my EDC bag (yeah - I often have 3-4 blades withing hands reach)

The question is, as I find myself rarely using the Sebbie in EDC (except for cutting food/spreading condaments - don't like using the leatherman for that), what do you guys think of the idea of me moving the sebbie to my bag, moving the bag knife to storage? In other words - NOT carrying a single purpose knife?
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 03:05 PM

I'm kind of the opposite.

I have a leatherman too, and I rarely use the blade on that. I carry a much cheaper Sog Flash II (compared to your sebbie) and it's my "go to" utility knife. I use it to cut cardboard, open packages, cut rope, mark steel when I`m working in the garage, cut wires, etc. I use it for a lot of "hard" things and it's lasted me many years (about needs replaced now). For 50 bucks, and the use I get out of it I`ll never not carry it or a knife like it + the leatherman.

The leatherman I use for the pliers, screw drivers, and the blade is used for cutting "nicer" things that won't do it harm.

I think you may be carrying TOOOOOOO nice of a pocket knife for EDC maybe you aren't using it for more because of that?

Posted by: boatman

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 03:30 PM

I for one don't like the idea.It only takes that one time you need a blade"right now".When and if your life depends on it wouldn't you regret it if you didn't have it on you.Remember Martins post on the firemen calling for a knife to cut the four year old out of a burning mini-van.If one had a knife handy(on their person)the child may have been burned a lot less.JMHO...

BOATMAN
John

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 03:33 PM

John that's another valid reason. I can switch open my SOG a lot faster than the Leatherman... that requires me unsnapping a button and also possibly fumbling with my shirt/jackets if they are covering it.

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 03:38 PM

Nah, it's not because it's too nice - Hint - I've edc'd a lot nicer knives than the Sebbie - like mid end customs (can't afford high end like say, and engraved Ron Lake)

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Nah, it's not because it's too nice - Hint - I've edc'd a lot nicer knives than the Sebbie - like mid end customs (can't afford high end like say, and engraved Ron Lake)

Gotcha.

Maybe you just need to expand your mind, ahahaha, on what else you can use it for? laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: Blast

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 04:46 PM

Hi, my name's Blast and I only EDC a Leatherman.
*GASP*

-Blast
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 05:25 PM

I have considered doing the exact same thing. As long as you have some sort of blade available, shouldn't be a problem.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 05:30 PM

Hi, my name's Benjammin and I only EDC a Leatherman.
YAWN

Back when I was doing electronics, it was the only knife I had on me all the time. It has two knife blades and all the other tools. I would cut copper wire with it regularly, use it to pry apart metal cases, whittle pencils, trim fingernails, clean fish, etc. As an EDC, having another knife was usually too redundant and superfluous.

In Baghdad, I EDC'd a multi-tool and a fixed blade. I needed more over there. The fixed blade helped keep the jihadist palm trees and loose boards at bay. One of my favorite Baghdad quotes:

Cowboy Dude: "What do you need a big knife like that for?"

Benjammin: "For loppin' heads, of course."

Cowboy Dude: LOL, "Now that's funny."

Nowadays, I've traded in the Wave for a Gerber Shortcut because I don't need all the accessories in an office like I did on a workbench/afield.
Posted by: massacre

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 07:00 PM

I carry a TTi on my left in a sheath on my left side and a decent CRKT Point Guard clipped inside my right pocket. I can get the dedicated folder out and open in under a second without any trouble. The TTi is nowhere near as fast unless you are using it clipped and even then I don't trust it as much outside a sheath.

YMMV, but I find I use my EDC knife for bladework, the TTi for other jobs, and only rarely pull out the Leatherman blade when I have lost the edge on my other. It's not as fast or as efficient the way I'm carrying, but to each his own. Plus I like having the backup.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 07:20 PM

Agree. The TTi is a great multi-tool, but a dedicated locking folder is a better knife. The knife blade on my TTi has never been used, too many other good knives available. It is a back-up and will stay a back-up.
Posted by: CAL

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 07:52 PM

I have a very large collection of knives. When Hurricane Katrina was headed my way I decided that I spent a lot of money on a Sebenza so I would have a good, hard working knife. That Sebenza went in my pocket. The first thing I did with it was cut my way out of the house after the storm. I have carried it every day since then. The multi tools are in my bags.

Great knife and I use it for everything...except prying
Posted by: Denis

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/22/09 09:12 PM

In day-to-day life, I carry a Leatherman Juice; when I'm hiking or camping I'll carry my Wenger Ranger. I will often have the other tool nearby in a backpack (either for work or outdoors), but I really only guarantee myself access to one or the other.

I've toyed a bit with the idea of having a second EDC blade, but really couldn't see a need for it other than a SHTF backup.

I don't know if I am making the right choice, but its where I'm at now.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 04:14 AM

Most of the time the two knives I have on me are a Benchmade 707 clipped to my pocket and a Victorinox Swisscard Lite in my wallet.

However, my next most commonly carried knife is a Leatherman Charge Ti with the optional pocket clip. Often the 707 will come out of my pocket and the Charge will go in, especially if I'm going somewhere or doing something out of the ordinary. I've gotten a lot of good use out of that tool and I would have no problem carrying it as my only edc blade.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 04:40 AM

I carry a Leatherman TTi and a SOG Twitch. I carry the Twitch mostly because I can open it with one hand easily.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 05:44 AM

I consider the Leatherman (mine's a Wave) to be a Jack-of-all-trades Master-of-none. The blade and handling characteristics are terrible compared to my Spyderco folder. The can opener works, but doesn't rival a dedicated one (even the lowly P-38/P-51 type). The screwdrivers are quite horrible compared to dedicated drivers. The pliers are actually pretty good, but still not up to even an inexpensive pair of single purpose needlenose.

If you often need all those tools on you and can only carry something small, sure, the Leatherman is great. But, given a choice, I will ALWAYS reach for something better (a single purpose tool) if one is even remotely available. With all the tools on the Leatherman, when I used to EDC one, I found that the only tool I routinely used was the knife. So now I just EDC ... a knife. The Leatherman has been relegated to my EDC bag, which is usually close to me (maybe in the car), but not always ON me.
Posted by: redwing

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 10:45 AM

I could get by with just a Wave, but I carry that on my belt. Carrying a folder in my pants pocket is quicker and more convenient - I deploy the folder without really thinking about it. But I can't think of a time when the Wave blade wouldn't have done the job at work or at home.

I just know I'd get annoyed if I couldn't just reach and flick to make a quick cut.
Posted by: celler

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 10:57 AM

Yup, Leatherman Wave or Juice and folder for quick deployment just like everyone else here. The new Benchmade Barrage assisted opener really excels in the quick deployment catagory.

Craig.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 11:12 AM

Maybe its because its early in the morning, but I'm struggling to understand the original post.

Are you asking if its OK to swap out the Sebenza and start wearing a LM on your person? If so, by all means!!! ... if that meets your needs and is comfortable.

Are you asking if its OK to stop wearing the Sebenza on your person, and instead carry a LM in a bag? If so, NO!!! ... you should really be carrying the blade on your person.

Are you asking if the LM is as "good" a knife as the Sebenza? If so, that's apples and very nice oranges ... two different tools for different uses & needs. Neither one is innately better than the other if they meet your needs.

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: KenK
...snip...
Are you asking if its OK to swap out the Sebenza and start wearing a LM on your person? If so, by all means!!! ... if that meets your needs and is comfortable.

Are you asking if its OK to stop wearing the Sebenza on your person, and instead carry a LM in a bag? If so, NO!!! ... you should really be carrying the blade on your person.

...snip...

No, what I'm saying is - I've been carrying BOTH - the TTi, and The Sebbie. I've found that I RARELY use the Sebenza - so I'm thinking of moving it to the "backup - it's in the backpack" role, and moving down to just carrying the TTi

BTW folks - I had a Wave, I had other leatherman tools - the TTi is the first one that has a blade good enough that I've considered making that change! I've carried everything from cheap slipjoints (when I was in my teens and regularly went to non knife friendly places) Up to hand engraved customs, and high end custom talonite tactical knifes as my EDC blade (I really really don't want to think about how much I've spent on knives over the years)
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 03:16 PM

Thru years of carrying EDC stuff, we realize that there is a time and place for this or that tool. Everyone mileage is different. But I think there are times when a knife is better or more convenient, and there are times when multitool is preferable.

At home when I am working on my DIY projects, I only need a tool for cutting and prying. Anything else needed, I have toolboxes loaded with single dedicated tools which can handle screwing or other tasks better and safer than a multitool. So, a knife or two stay attached to me (belt or pocket)at all times.

OTH, when I am visiting clients, friends or neighbors, I carry a multitool only. Even if I need to cut something, they won't freak out seeing a multitool coming out of my pocket .. and then seeing its blade. I have never needed a folding knife to cut an apple because if I meet them in my office, their homes, or in a resturant, knives are always available for apple cutting.
Posted by: EdD270

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/23/09 09:45 PM

I EDC one or the other, not both. I have LM and Gerber Multi-pliers, and a variety of SAK's and other folding utility knives. I have found over the years that I seldom use the blade, but regularly use the other tools. So when I carry the LM or Gerber I leave the pocketknife at home. When I carry the pocketknife, usually to a "function" where I won't need the LM, I leave the multi-tool at home.
One or the other, but don't leave home without at least one of them.

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/24/09 08:53 AM

Originally Posted By: EdD270
...snip... When I carry the pocketknife, usually to a "function" where I won't need the LM, I leave the multi-tool at home.
One or the other, but don't leave home without at least one of them.

Heh on the no leatherman to a function. I don't even carry the Sebbie to those - I have a rather nice, custom made Gent's knife that is strong, solid, and VERY nice looking (also a LOT more expensive) - It's waiting to be engraved - just waiting on the budget
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Thinking of NOT carrying a knife (sort of) - 07/24/09 05:21 PM

When I was a lowly grunt I carried a sheath knife, a folder, a swiss army and a leatherman. Ok, maybe a wee bit of overkill there. Lately I am carrying a bare bones officer SAK and haven't found anything it really can't do, altho there are things I wouldn't do with it, like pry.

OTOH - My BOB has a woodsman pal, a leatherman wave, a gerber Command II(smaller boot sized knife, single blade but top edge is serrated for 2 inches, out of production at this time) and a SAK outdoorsman. And a small pry bar. And an E-tool.

When the fecal matter hits the air movement device, I want to have a selection so that I have the right tool for the job handy. Isn't that really what it's all about.