Need a new flashlight

Posted by: Tom_L

Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 11:56 AM

Turns out *somebody* borrowed my Fenix LD20 a little while ago and that same person (I'd hesitate to call him an idiot at this point because he's family...) didn't quite know how to switch it on. Long story short, he ended up running the light in turbo mode for like an hour.

Now, the LD20 is not supposed to run on turbo for any more than a few minutes so the LED overheated. It still works but the light output is visibly weaker and there's a yellowish tint to it. Not good.

That Fenix used to be my primary light but it's pretty much ruined now and I can no longer trust it. So I need a replacement. Preferably something in the same price range, just as bright, as robust as possible and IDIOT PROOF. Meaning no crappy turbo mode that can damage the light if left on for too long. It has to run on AA batteries, 2 cells if possible. Also, there must be at least several different light outputs with max. battery life comparable to the LD20.

Any advice? Whatever light I pick I know it won't be a Fenix. Not that the LD20 isn't a nice light, but this turbo mode overheating fiasco is just not acceptable in my book.

Thanks a lot... Now I think I'll go grab a cold beer to calm down a bit. Hell, I hate it when somebody ruins my gear... frown
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 12:06 PM

I dunno. Doesn't Fenix offer the TD40 (something -40) that runs on a scad of AA's and only has 2 modes?

Apparently 4sevens.com has some nice inhouse lights. Their Quark like is getting nice reviews, but if you go that way, do be careful - there are two types: "tactical" with 2 light levels, and "normal" which is like Fenix.

Streamlight is in the same price range, sort of. Usually only have 1 mode

Surefire can be 1 or 2 modes, but of course run about 3-4x that of a Fenix.

Olight is a rip-off of Fenix, maybe even from the same factory. The Leatherman lights (I think at Costco) are also Fenix rebrands, IIRC. Nitecore has some good solid offerings (look online, but I know 4sevens carries them too).

Anyway, go peruse candlepowerforums.com if you want more info. I'd spend a little time with the search button first, as first time posts of "help me!" are on there nearly weekly, usually repeating the previous week, and some members get a bit testy.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 12:09 PM

Unless he's your Dad, you can call him an idiot. I'd get another Fenix L2D and let your family know that unless it's a life/death issue, borrowing your gear comes with a price. Let the idiot know what your new light will cost him.

I have an Fenix L2T with an orange button cover that's hard to miss. High and Low -- no Turbo.

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 01:06 PM

LOL Russ, he *is* my Dad so that saved him from some very harsh words ... and maybe a punch in the face. Yeah, I'm normally a really nice guy but I can't stand folks "borrowing" my gear without permission, especially if they don't know how to use it.

Anyway, right now I'm close to ordering a Nitecore D20 because it's very bright, variable light output and pretty much everything I'm looking for. I'm just not sure about the reliability/build quality.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 01:24 PM

The only issue I have with the Nitecore D20 is:
Quote:
Battery: powered by 2 AA batteries (including 1.2V AA rechargeable batteries - NOT LITHIUM-ION
I really like to be able to use lithium AA's. Otherwise, it looks like a good light.

Why not buy your Dad his own light and then get what you really want?

Edit: Hmmm, Does Lithium Ion = Lithium when discussing AA batteries? Is there a lithium Ion AA?
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 01:47 PM

I have the Nitecore D10, the single cell version. It's a great light. The variable output is very handy. No reliability issues so far. I've used it in the rain, but haven't really dunked it.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 02:21 PM

That's bad that it can run on "Turbo Mode" more than a few minutes frown Have you called fenix to see if they will replace it!
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 04:21 PM

Here's a tough cheap surprisingly well made little single AA flashlight (get your dad one so he won't have to borrow yours wink )

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18625

It goes nicely along with my lighter

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16699

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 04:23 PM

DealExtreme.com has some decent stuff.. I got an LED for one of my surefires there for like 50% what it cost in the states (They sent it direct from China). Shows you how much profit there is!

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 04:45 PM

Oh, Dad's got plenty of flashlights already - I guess I'm a good son when it comes to supplying him with useful gadgets. He's just a bit lazy when it comes to replacing spent batteries so he ends up borrowing my stuff now and then.

BTW, when I bought that Fenix light it came with an extra note saying it shouldn't be kept on the turbo setting for more than a few minutes. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't replace my light if I sent it back but then again, I haven't even tried and I doubt I will, too much fuss.

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 05:49 PM

I`ll ahve to ask my brother he just got a Fenix and I don't think he got a note about turbo!
Posted by: HerbG

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 06:55 PM

"Have you called fenix to see if they will replace it!"

+1 You may be pleasantly surprised at their response.

I have had very good performance from the JetBeam lights I have owned. Their quality is top notch and they offer excellent performance:

http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ

Edit: Hmmm, Does Lithium Ion = Lithium when discussing AA batteries? Is there a lithium Ion AA?

Mostly lithium AA's are the Energizer brand (aka, the L91). There's the Titanium and the "blue/silver" style. These are replacements for alkalines and should be interchangable with any AA.

There ARE Li-ion batteries in AA size, called 14500s. Those have a higher energy capacity, and I don't think are completely interchangable, despite the same size - higher amps or volts or something. (sorry, I'm a doctor, not an electrician)
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/22/09 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
The only issue I have with the Nitecore D20 is:
Quote:
Battery: powered by 2 AA batteries (including 1.2V AA rechargeable batteries - NOT LITHIUM-ION
I really like to be able to use lithium AA's. Otherwise, it looks like a good light.
I think the context makes it pretty clear its talking about lithium-ion rechargables, rather than lithium primaries.

I carry a D10 as my every-day torch, and wouldn't hesitate to get a D20 if I needed that form-factor. I normally run it on Eneloops, and it lasts over 50 hours on low, about an hour on high, on a single charge. Low is about 2 lumens and high about 130. (The D20 obviously differs.) It can also run on a lithium AA, or on any alkaline that I can scavenge from other equipment. It's battery versatility is a major benefit, especially as you only need one for the D10 - a spare lithium AA is light and takes up little room. The range of brightness is another benefit. I've left it on high for the full hour; it's a practical torch for outdoors walking the dog etc, as well as indoors long-term survival.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/23/09 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Long story short, he ended up running the light in turbo mode for like an hour.

Now, the LD20 is not supposed to run on turbo for any more than a few minutes so the LED overheated.

Good reason to consider a Ra Lights light. They have thermal protection.

-john

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/24/09 05:30 AM

I guess I should write an update - I almost bought a new flashlight but still decided I'd take a closer look at the Fenix. I have no idea what Dad was doing with it but I have actually managed to get it working properly again. I simply disassembled the light, cleaned everything, put in fresh batteries and ZAP, sure enough there was the bright, white 180 lumen beam again.

I will have to do some more testing but so far it's looking good. Don't ask me what happened. I guess the LED is still intact, though.

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/24/09 07:20 AM

New battery probably...?

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/24/09 12:57 PM

LOL if that was the case, it would really hurt my ego. But I don't think so - I tried fresh batteries before and it didn't help. When I took the flashlight apart I noticed there was a lot of gunk everywhere. So maybe it had something to do with poor contact. It's still a mystery to me, though.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/24/09 01:03 PM

What kind of gunk? Leaking battery type? Gunk in battery compartments causes concern for me.
Posted by: Rodion

Re: Need a new flashlight - 07/24/09 02:31 PM

Sounds like your old man dug it out of a ditch somewhere. You should cut him some slack. smile

Literally the first thing I did with my Fenix L2D was run it into the ground on every mode. The LED delivered as promised and now I'm ready to bet my, hmm, comfort on it any day.