New Sheriff in Town

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 08:34 PM

Okay everyone, listen up. There's a new sheriff in town, so you better mind your Ps and Qs. wink

Seriously, I am very pleased to announce that Blast has volunteered to take on the sometimes thankless job of being Administrator/Moderator of The Survival Forum. We, meaning myself, the other admins and the Board of ETS Foundation, were happy to accept his application (before he got cold feet).

I don't think I need to make any introductions, Blast has been around here for nearly as long as the forum has been in existence. I did make him promise not to blow up things too bad. I enticed him by reminding him that we're a generally well-behaved bunch, so don't you all go making a liar outa me. grin Please give Blast a warm welcome to his new job.

I also want to announce that we're adding a new section, Urban Preparedness. Charlie G. (KG2V_was_kc2ixe) has volunteered to moderate that section for us. The focus on the new section should be pretty self-explanatory. City stuff, not wilderness. Please thank Charlie for taking on this job for us.
Posted by: CJK

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 09:07 PM

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!(or sorry?) not sure which....lol...lol...lol

It's good to have you there Blast. All the best....
Posted by: pforeman

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 09:31 PM

Yeah Blast! Thanks for stepping up and taking on the job... that doesn't mean we'll behave any better - you will continue to get grief from one and all!

Really - thanks as it can be a thankless job but one that needs to be done and I (and the rest around here) appreciate you doing this.

On the second announcement - that's great too! I, like many others are in many ways 'stuck' in an environment that is urban and need to share better ways of coping in situations that will present different demands that such places have. If I am in the SD Badlands or Black Hills (been there, done that) I know very well the ways to cope there vastly differ from my current big-city/suburb situation. Having a forum to explore how to adapt and work with the very different needs represented by these places will be very educational, welcome and fun. Thanks to all who made this happen too!

Paul in MN -
Posted by: KG2V

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 09:36 PM

Thanks All
Posted by: JohnE

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 11:23 PM

BOOOOMMMMM!!!

Posted by: JohnE

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 11:25 PM

Forget to add, the urban preparedness forum, a great idea, wish I would have thought of it.

Congrats to KG2V and to the Blaster.

Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 11:31 PM

Thanks Doug and Blast, and congratulations.
Posted by: leemann

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/12/09 11:55 PM

Thanks Tons! Doug ,Blast and every body else .

Lee
KC3L was AC7KT and N7UQB
Posted by: Todd W

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 12:51 AM

Congrats to you both...
Posted by: Blast

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 12:52 AM

When I got the word from Doug I immediately jumped to my feet, thrust my SAK in the air and roared "I HAVE THE POWER!!". From the next room DW replied matter-of-factually, "No you don't."

Oh well.

Anyway, in a little bit I'll be posting a little write-up on what to expect from me as a moderator. I like to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks all, I'll try to do a good job.
-Blast
Posted by: aloha

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 01:08 AM

Mahalo Blast and Charlie G.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 01:11 AM

Blast, your name looks GOOD in red... CONGRATS!

I thought of volunteering, for about 3 seconds, before I realized that I'd never had time this year (internship and all).

Bravo too to KG2V!
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 01:19 AM

Blast Here's a KABBBBOOOOOOOMMMMM for ya

KG2V steppen into the urban jungle is a mighty big step, Good on Ya Mate

Mike
kd7fqd
Posted by: ironraven

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 01:30 AM

Oh no....

I mean, congratulations Blast and Charlie! grin

Posted by: Eric

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 02:03 AM

Blast,

Congratulations on becoming the new Sheriff in town. I did spend a few moments wondering just what you might be packing in your holster given your handle and extensive experience with chemical processes.

On to more serious matters.

Originally Posted By: Blast
I immediately jumped to my feet, thrust my SAK in the air and roared "I HAVE THE POWER!!". From the next room DW replied matter-of-factually, "No you don't."

I think I spotted your problem - you left out the attribution in the above statement. Shouldn't it be more along the lines of "By the Power of ETS, I HAVE THE POWER!!". I might also have chosen a Ritter Mk3 or a Leatherman Wave instead of a SAK since I don't remember the blade changing much. Be careful with the above unless you are very sure about BattleCats location and temperament. smile

Thanks for stepping up to the thankless job.

- Eric

Posted by: Blast

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 03:17 AM

Quote:
Be careful with the above unless you are very sure about BattleCats location and temperament. smile

BattleCats?! eek eek eek
Doug didn't tell me there'd be cats involved! Is it too late to return my badge?

-Blast, who tried to bathe a cat and ended up in the emergency room...twice.
Posted by: Xterior

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 03:33 AM

From the next room DW replied matter-of-factually, "No you don't."

smile

Congrats to both of you.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 02:10 PM

Charlie and Blast:

Thanks for tackling the thankless jobs!

Dave

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 03:09 PM

Hi Dave,
How things out there - I'm still sitting over in 147

Posted by: Stu

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 03:33 PM

Congrats Blast! smile
May you do well. smile
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 05:47 PM

KG2V,

Thank you for the new forum section and moderating gig.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 06:01 PM

Hmmm... Blast is familiar with herding cats so moderating a forum should come naturally.

If Charlie has practice at pushing snakes uphill then he won't have any trouble either.

And with the exciting part of hurricane season approaching things should get hoppin'!
Posted by: Arney

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 08:17 PM

A big "thank you!" to Blast and KG2V_was_kc2ixe. Thank you for stepping up, guys.
Posted by: Kris

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/13/09 10:31 PM

Congrats and thanks to you both, Blast and KG2V_was_kc2ixe!
Posted by: dweste

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/14/09 07:48 PM

Excellent!
Posted by: Joseph13

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/18/09 05:53 AM

Blast and Charlie,

Congratulations!

Hope your time is filled with easy reading and new knowledge.

Best wishes,
-Joe
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/18/09 02:44 PM

Quote:
Be careful with the above unless you are very sure about BattleCats location and temperament. smile

BattleCats?! eek eek eek
Doug didn't tell me there'd be cats involved! Is it too late to return my badge?

-Blast, who tried to bathe a cat and ended up in the emergency room...twice.

Did I just hear a whimper?
Posted by: Chisel

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/21/09 02:40 AM

Hey Blast, I mean Sherrif Blast , thanks for taking the job.

Charlie ( Isnt it easier than K2 ..what was that ? )
Thanks for the help and the new section.

Doug
Thanks for ETS
And thanks for adding the new section.
I hope more sections are added gradually.

A small note to administration
Please look into shortening the lengthy description of the (Natural disaster section). Two or three lines shoud be enough.

Thank you

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/21/09 08:31 AM

KG2V is easy for me - It's my Ham radio call sign - or if you prefer

-.- --. ..--- ...-

wink
Posted by: Chisel

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/21/09 03:38 PM

KG2V is easy indeed but I meant the whole thing (KG2V_was_kc2ixe)

In any case, your help is greatly appreciated

Since you are a HAM radio fan/user, you may work in developing this forum into more categorized sections like : communications, knives, PSKs, BOBs, scenarios ..etc. This will help people searching for specific info to get what they are looking for without seiving thru tonnes of threads. Not to mention that the first section ( Survival Forum ) is so fuzzy 'cause it carries the same name of the whole thing, and doesnt point to anything specific in the art of survival or preparedness like , say, URBAN preparedness.

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/22/09 02:30 PM

That kind of decision is made by Doug - you could propose it to him. The idea of doing some "best of" topic threads- hummm

The reason for KG2V_was_KC2IXE, was I didn't want folks wonder who I was when I changed from KC2IXE (my old call sign) - the eventual plan is/was to eventually move it to KG2V
Posted by: digimark

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/29/09 03:34 AM

I, for one, welcome our new explosive overlord.

(Or is that overload?)

Posted by: red

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 07/29/09 11:29 PM

Congrats to both Blast and Charlie!

Both of you have given me invaluable information!

Thanks for doing the (sometimes) thankless job of being moderator.

Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 08/01/09 01:42 PM

Congrats to the both of you! I'll try and be a good boy
\../, >.< ,\../
Posted by: Blitz

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 08/14/09 06:53 PM

Congrats to both of you! Excellent choices on Dougs part.
Posted by: yeti

Re: New Sheriff in Town - 08/31/09 10:54 PM

Thanks to the "newbies" as well as the vets who give of themselves so we can "play". I hope we can make it easy on y'all!!!