Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)...

Posted by: cedfire

Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 12:40 AM

Since the weather is getting nice I got to thinking about a simple (and light) survival kit that can be stashed in the daypack. Everything is housed in a Sea to Summit dry bag and the total weight is exactly 1.0 lbs. Here's what I came up with:

AMK Heatsheet Bivvy (nested inside mug)
BiC Mini lighter
Fox 40 whistle
Frontier filter straw
LMF Scout firesteel
MP1 water purification tabs
Paracord (550)
Petzl e+Lite
REI Stormproof matches w/striker strip
Rescue Flash signal mirror
Silva Type III compass
Snow Peak Ti 300 mug
Spare CR2032 batteries (x2)
WetFire tinder (x2)

Looking at the contents I'm trying to keep it limited to providing water, shelter/warmth, and signaling. Our daytime temps have been in the 100s (F) with our nighttime temps dropping to the 40s-50s (F). Between dehydration and exposure those are probably the two biggest threats right now.

Adding to this at least 2L+ of water, some snacks, an extra pair of synthetic socks, jacket or fleece, hat, GPS, map(s), modified AMK ultralight FAK, and a SAK Farmer everything comes in at about 8 lbs. for a dayhike.

Any suggestions or comments welcome!

Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 01:02 AM

Firesteel, matches and a bic - not taking any chances then ;-) ?
If you are cold and wet a toque is a good idea before a fire.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 02:31 AM

looks fine but i wonder why all of us seem to go so heavy into the fire making gear?..lack of trust in one method or item?..
i'm in the same boat,canoe rather,i went over the stuff i took and found i had a full box of wood matches,a bottle of flamers with heat tabs two Bics,a windproof lighter and a tank lighter.
i like the bag you have it in,that would carry alot of water in a way that it would not spill..

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 02:53 AM

Thanks! Yeah, fire-making gear is the one thing I don't mind having redundancies of. Maybe it's something going back to our caveman days. If the lighter leaks, the matches get wet, at least there is still a backup plan with the firesteel. grin
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 10:30 AM

That's a good kit. Much better than the AMK S.O.L. kit.

I presume that you intend to use the dry-bag as an emergency water carrier? Otherwise a 1 ltr zip-lock bag might be a worthwhile addition.

I personally would add a small knife. Something like a SAK farmer. Knife blade + saw for shelter building etc.
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 10:33 AM

I carry both the bivvy bag and the regular heat sheet. I figure this will allow me to make more of a shelter (to block sun, wind, rain, etc.) and still have the bag to crawl into for warmth.

Good kit. I like the dry bag and the fact that the whole kit is only 1 lb.

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 01:34 PM

Thanks! I decided not to include a water carrier because I always have at least a 1L Nalgene at my side. For a dayhike I would add a second Nalgene and/or a 2L Platypus reservoir.

I was torn about including a knife in the kit. The SAK Farmer rides in the daypack. Plus I always have either a LM Wave or Benchmade Mini-Grip clipped to my pocket. So it seemed like the sharps were covered.

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 04:59 PM

Even though Jeremiah Johnson is one of my favorite movies, I just can't see myself wandering away from the trail and needing to live off the land for a few years.

What I needed was something to throw on my back after leaving the truck for whatever reason... geocaching, cutting a Christmas tree, day hike, fishing, etc. Previously my kits were too heavy, so they kept the truck safe but didn't do much for me and the family.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 05:46 PM

I like this kit. Really has some nice basics... I'm like you, I like to carry several types of fire starting methods... One of those things you don't want to be without...
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: cedfire
Thanks! I decided not to include a water carrier because I always have at least a 1L Nalgene at my side. For a dayhike I would add a second Nalgene and/or a 2L Platypus reservoir.

I was torn about including a knife in the kit. The SAK Farmer rides in the daypack. Plus I always have either a LM Wave or Benchmade Mini-Grip clipped to my pocket. So it seemed like the sharps were covered.

I always assume that one is going to be separated from everything except the survival kit. Including my pant's. smile

As in the situation has FUBAR and TSHTHF on me.

Possibly I'm being paranoid. However it's better to be paranoid and right than not paranoid and wrong.
Posted by: jaschenck

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/10/09 10:57 PM

I carry lots of fire tools also. I have found when things go wrong unless it something that has to be dealt with right then like bleeding badly, tent burning ,bear attacking .....etc it's far better to have a smoke and a cup of coffee and decide how you are going to get out of the situation you are in.

relax
think
decide

and yes I am one of those who still smokes (cough cough) in the ever fewer places it's still permitted

Jim
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Lightweight Survival Kit (w/pics)... - 07/11/09 07:49 AM

I might consider a plastic bag both as a water carrier and just a handy thing to have sometimes. I'd also drop in a small blade, just as back up - SAK or small folder like a KISS. And duct tape - handy and great for blisters.

But its a good kit anyway, so good stuff