Problem with Watch Band Compass

Posted by: SwampDonkey

Problem with Watch Band Compass - 06/17/09 02:00 AM

Hi All,

I was taking a land navigation class last week and while the instructor was speaking I started fiddling with the small, simple Brunton Compass that I have on the band of my Timex Expedition Compass Watch. I soon came to realize that the Brunton compass was indicating 180* in the wrong direction! I removed the small compass from the watchband as I thought the metal in the watch may be effecting it, but it still indicated backwards.

I know the Brunton compass was OK when I bought it about 5 months ago, my only explaination is that the compass feature within the watch must have effected the magnetic card in the small Brunton compass.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Mike
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Problem with Watch Band Compass - 06/17/09 05:19 AM

This is a common problem with button type compasses. Exposure to a strong magnetic source may reverse the polarity. It can be corrected with a magnet. The only compass that has any resistance to this problem is the Suunto Clipper.
Posted by: DavidEnoch

Re: Problem with Watch Band Compass - 06/17/09 11:01 AM

I had a Suunto Comet keychain compass that did that. It may have happened when I put a magnetic screwdriver tip holder in my pocket. I sent the Suunto back and got another one. I have since had that happen to some cheap button compasses. I have found that if I hold them over a strong magnet they will sometimes reverse. I would try it before I sent it back.

David Enoch
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Problem with Watch Band Compass - 06/17/09 11:01 PM

Thanks Fellows, I will give the magnet repair a try.

Mike