AMK Emergency Survival Blanket

Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/14/09 06:47 PM

Anyone tried one?

AMK ESB
Posted by: DannyL

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/14/09 07:41 PM

yes, and they're great. I have about 12 I think.
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/14/09 08:17 PM

Thanks!!!
Posted by: Paul810

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/14/09 08:29 PM

I have one in my SOL survival pack, however I've never used it. I've been meaning to pick one up to test it out.

With that said, I have used their older model of the Thermo-Lite bivvy and I was pretty impressed. For something as thin and light as it is, it works surprisingly well at keeping you warm. It's not the most comfortable thing I've slept in, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Edit:

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
On tyhe same subject of sorts. The AMK Bivys...are they easily reusable?

I don't know about the new ones, but my old one is. As long as you don't tear it up I had no problems rolling it back up and fitting it in the supplied bag.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/14/09 10:32 PM

I've used the one in my daypack twice, sleeping out under a poncho both times. I had a couple large contractor bags under my AMK bivvy. First time just used them as a ground cloth, second time stuffed with some soft stuff to cushion and insulate. Both times I was able to roll up the AMK Bivy and get it back into the bag with room to spare. I would suggest that when you get back home, you unroll it and air it out. Your perspiration can build up inside.

Posted by: DannyL

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/14/09 11:02 PM

Check out the Thermolite 2 bivy's, those are really good.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/15/09 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: DannyL

Check out the Thermolite 2 bivy's, those are really good.

My understanding from AMK's site is that the Emergency Bivvy (the little one) is meant to be more or less for use on a single excursion just in terms of the durability of the materials. The Thermolite II Bivvy is meant for multiple uses.

I haven't used either of mine, but from removing one of each from their packaging and then re-rolling and stowing, I can see from differences in the materials why the one is "disposible" and the other is meant for reuse.
Posted by: JIM

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/15/09 07:55 PM

I've got the AMK Thermolite II bivvy, Heatsheet Emergency Bivvy and the Heatsheet blankets. Brilliant, that's all I can say.. no more space blankets for me!!
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/17/09 02:33 PM

Just remember that "90% of Radiated Body Heat" is not very much.
Posted by: JIM

Re: AMK Emergency Survival Blanket - 06/17/09 09:00 PM

No it isn't, but wind- and waterproof sounds good to me wink