pencils...

Posted by: yeti

pencils... - 06/13/09 07:13 PM

OK, like many of you, I carry a Fisher space pen (bullet). Can't keep the clips on them and once they're off, I lose them frequently as they slip easily out of a cargo pocket for sitting or crawling folks. Anyone solve this?

Now, as the subject implies, I have a question about pencils. Is there an equvalent in MECHANICAL pencils to the space pens??? Small, easily carried, etc.?

Posted by: jaywalke

Re: pencils... - 06/13/09 07:32 PM

http://www.jetpens.com/product_info.php/cPath/45_131/products_id/696

Jet Pens is a very cool site.

For micro-pencils, though, I am much more likely to use a short wooden pencil, with a plastic cap from an ordinary freebie stick pen.
Posted by: nurit

Re: pencils... - 06/13/09 08:05 PM

Jaywalker, thanks for the link to Jet Pens. Great! And some of the pencil cases look intriguing for FAK and other uses.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: pencils... - 06/13/09 08:13 PM

Don't bother with the bullet pens except for coolness factor, I lost a couple then started using the Cap-O-Matics..haven't lost one yet.

Cap-o-matics

Re: pencils... - 06/13/09 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: jaywalke

Any idea how many leads it will hold?

Re: pencils... - 06/13/09 08:58 PM

The Ohto Tasche looks like a possibility albeit smallish. I have XL-sized hands. The space pen is great because it is small, just over 9 cm closed, but in use with the cap is a full-sized pen at ~13.5 cm. I'm looking for something similar in a mechanical pencil, smallish and able to fit in a front pocket, but full-sized in use so that extended use is not painful.

Basically I'm looking for a pencil I can use comfortably in the field for extended periods, yet small to carry and as portable as the bullet pen. Capacity for many spare leads is also a plus.
Posted by: jshannon

Re: pencils... - 06/14/09 12:40 PM

Check out the Aqua Pencil.

https://www.xit404.com/products/index.php?l=product_list&c=1
Posted by: HerbG

Re: pencils... - 06/14/09 01:32 PM

Another possible solution:

http://www.riteintherain.com/
Posted by: bojr

Re: pencils... - 06/15/09 08:24 PM

I always have a carpenter pencil (or two) handy. Besides the lead I save the shavings for tinder.
Posted by: kevingg

Re: pencils... - 06/16/09 12:38 AM

forget mechanical pencils and such. go with a golf pencil. sharpen with knife if needed.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: pencils... - 06/17/09 02:12 AM

I have to use a pen at work outside in both frigid and wet weather. I use a black, fine line Fisher Space Pen in this model. It is very handy because you do not need 2 hands to remove the cap, I have lost a few but the only time I broke one was when I drove over it with my truck. That pen still works but the refill no longer "clicks" in and out, so I keep it it the truck to fill out the diary.

Mike
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: pencils... - 06/22/09 01:42 AM

I carry a Yafa Poqito pencil (an Office Depot find). It's about 4" long and takes a 0.5mm lead.