My Only Survival Issue

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 03:11 PM

it may not look like much--but..

first off,with no major local survival issues like storms or quakes my only real personal problems would be on a solo wilderness canoe trip--i leave for one on the 11th.
now about the photo--it's the end of a creek that leads into a PMA-Primitive Management Area in the Boundary Waters,the wilderness canoeing park in Northern Minnesota.the PMA's are true wilderness with no camps or portage trails into them.you have to bushwhack your way in.a special permit is added to your park permit to allow you into these backcountry lakes.it would be like hiking on one of the big national trail systems and making a hard right and walking off into the woods.you will be alone,your PMA permit allows only you in.last year when i got the PMA permit the ranger at the main station opened the book to write me in and the page was blank!.the one for the last month and the month i was going in, no canoe trippers had taken a PMA.
so i'll be on my own,no passing fisherman or Scout Troops.now i don't expect any problems. the bushwhack is only a mile or so and in some places you just have to drag the canoe up a swampy creek and over many beaver dams.but---this would not be the place to bust a hip or have some nasty medical problem kick in.yes i have thought about a SPOT or PLB but these places are remote parklands and not like you might find in Canada or the Rocky Mountains where help may never come so for now i'll just skip the PLB and take my time and watch out for myself like i have done in the past.the rest of the canoe trip involves paddeling some big lakes but i shoreline those so i'm never more that a short swim to land and i don't travel in bad weather. i'm one of those no EDC or BOB people and i live in a quiet part of the Midwest so this is my only "real" survival issue..
Posted by: Blast

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 03:21 PM

Color me jealous, friend.
Have a great time!

-Blast
Posted by: billvann

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 03:28 PM

The decision to take a PLB shouldn't be based solely upon the degree of remoteness. Assuming you'll file a trip plan with the appropriate folks, even under go circumstances you could easily be several days from anyone even realizing that you are in trouble. I sure they will most likely find you, but whether it's a search and rescue effort or a recovery effort for your body depends upon what type of accident that causes the emergency or survival situation. It's possible that you could be so incapacitated that you cannot take care of yourself even for the amount of time required to locate you.

If it were me heading of into the wilderness on a solo trip, I would spend the money for PLB. Consider it trip insurance.

P.S. if there are so few PMA permits issued it's also going to be something extraordinary for the rangers too. So they'll have less experience in noticing something may be amiss and may not have much experience in SAR efforts is such circumstance.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 03:52 PM

Great trip, but I'd sure buy a PLB.

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 03:53 PM

Great trip, but I'd sure buy a PLB.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 04:39 PM

The more remote, the more reason for a PLB.

Just rent one.
Posted by: KenK

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 04:59 PM

I would agree that renting a PLB is a cost-effective and SAFE way to go.

http://www.plbrentals.com/

They could probably still get one to you.
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 05:28 PM

Either rent a PLB or convince a friend to go; or both.
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 05:42 PM

Our government has these things called helicopters...

... that coincidentally have these things called GPS receivers...

They might just be able to find you.
Posted by: comms

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 06:53 PM

Something like that, PLB. One way or the other its not a huge issue to have one or rent one.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 08:03 PM

I am shuddering at the number of assumptions you are making. When you are hurt every place is a long ways off. Please reconsider the PLB rental/purchase options.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/09/09 10:19 PM

I still like the SPOT, I can check in regularly and send myself my camp locations for later reference on Google Satellite Imagery.
Posted by: elgecko

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 12:56 AM

Looks and sounds like a great time.

I've always solo canoed and hiked for years....

Late last year I started to plan for a dream I've had for 18 years now; to paddle the Everglades. I had this thought the first time I visited back in 1991. Now it's seems it going to come true in November this year. Already have my vacation scheduled at work. :-)
I'm planning a total of 17 days of a back-county canoe trip in the Okefenokee (3 days) and rest in the Everglades. Of course the wife is not so sure of this as I will be going solo like I usually do.
She got me thinking. What would happen when I'm on my own and get into trouble? Not just the Everglades trip, but even the day hikes I do.
That's how I stumped onto this site. I've learned a lot here from everyone and want to say thanks. My gear I carry has changed so I'm better prepared. I even have kits in the car which I never had before.
Anyway, I researched PLB's and the Spot. When reading reviews for the Spot I was very confused since many people said it was junk and others said it was great. I ended up with the Spot. They had a special a while ago where you could get the device for free with service and tracking. Sounded like a great deal to me.
I'm extremely happy with the Spot. Lets me let the wife and family know all is well and my location when I'm out on my many trips.
I'm also thinking of renting a PLB when I take my Everglades trip. You just never know.
I would strongly suggest looking into getting one of the devices.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 02:02 AM

Allow me to offer a dissenting voice.

Almost all of trips I've ever done, the majority of them solo, were before cell phone coverage and PLBs and sat phones were available to the average mortal. Yet, by the grace of God, I am still here.

There is something essential in cutting the apron strings to 'mommy,' the nervous and fearful technological communities we live in. I think more than ever we need the tonic of true wilderness. We are more deeply alive there; you can't buy this at the mall, or the pharmacy. It is, reliably, a peak experience, a succession of personal Everests. But you have to earn it, to immerse in the solitude of wild country.

Yes, there are risks; but these are counterbalanced by preparation and judgement and experience.

So I'm putting my money on Canoedogs, with every confidence he will report in later with an internal radiance and poise that is palpable.

P.S., Can I come along? Pretty please?
Posted by: aloha

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 05:06 AM

Sounds like great fun. Just take care.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 11:03 AM

Would love to go and do that too!

When I was younger, I probably wouldn't take a PLB either... As dougwalkabout said, there is just something nice about being completely cut off.

But, now that I have a young son, would I really want to risk it? Easy enough to rent a PLB for extra safety. No sense in taking uneccessary risks...
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 11:13 AM

Canoedogs clearly has done this before, based on his comments above and other posts of his I recall reading. Obviously, his chances of doing what he described are both pretty darn good and a lot better than mine. Still, I'd take a PLB.

A lot of things can go wrong; a twisted or broken ankle, simply getting ill, or otherwise somehow getting immobilized. The PLB is insurance. We don't think most things for which we are insured will ever happen, but we are insured all the same.
Posted by: NAro

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 11:16 AM

Quote:
There is something essential in cutting the apron strings to 'mommy,'

Dougwalkabout, here's my problem: I agree in principle with your position to cut the "apron strings". For many years my wilderness adventures were just as you describe.

Now due to age and medical contitions I have these choices: 1) take a bit less ambitious but still adventure vacations, but plan for emergency contact and assistance if necessary (as long as I can do so without endangering anyone). or... 2) give up the joy of such adventures and stay at home. I elect to go. To take any modern technology I can afford to connect with emergency service providers, rescue insurance, etc.

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 11:47 AM

No offense - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just don't buy your notion that one has to get away from the evils of technology & society and venture out into the wilderness naked and alone.

Technologies exist to easily increase comfort and dramatically reduce risk without damaging the experience.

Modern composite-skinned canoes allow us to travel on waterways and carry canoes with relative ease.

Magnetic compasses provide direction and assist with navigation.

Modern maps provide an amazing amount of information the area.

Polyester & Nylon flies & tents provide shelter from rain & biting insects.

Synthetic insulation provides light weight sleeping bags that help keep us warm at night.

Filters provide water that is safe to drink.

A GPS can guide the weak and confused back to safety.

If something far short of the worst happens a PLB will bring help.

I choose not to face nature naked and at her mercy. Rather, I come EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE.

Sorry, had to do the commercial there, but isn't that the entire point of this web site??? Isn't that kind of like sitting in Wrigley Field watching the Cubs (win or lose) and saying "I hate baseball"???? If you hate baseball, why even be there??
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 11:54 AM

Remember and keep an eye out for the Minnesota Sasquatch. Even if you don't see one you'll know instinctively there is one around. The trick is not to panic when you feel yourself being observed (the little hairs on the back of the neck are a good sign something is watching) from the woods and when you hear the crunching sound of broken twigs together with the musty smell of fear around your camp during the middle of the moonless night. If you do come face to face, throw the Sasquatch your toothpaste tube and make a quick retreat. Otherwise you should be fine. wink

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Remember and keep an eye out for the Minnesota Sasquatch. Even if you don't see one you'll know instinctively there is one around. The trick is not to panic when you feel yourself being observed (the little hairs on the back of the neck are a good sign something is watching) from the woods and when you hear the crunching sound of broken twigs together with the musty smell of fear around your camp during the middle of the moonless night. If you do come face to face, throw the Sasquatch your toothpaste tube and make a quick retreat. Otherwise you should be fine. wink

Oh great ... now CanoeDogs won't go.

Wait, that's no Sasquatch, that's DougWalkAbout running around naked!! Throw the toothpaste and cover your eyes!!!!!!!

(Again, no offense to ANYONE. Just havin' fun)

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 02:37 PM

Thanks for all the comments.i of course will be careful. i know where i'm going and the problems involved but i never take a real chance,i'll sit in camp and read if the winds are up and i limit myself to one pack on the carrys unlike some guys who carry the canoe and a pack over the portage.my wife has my trip plan and has been around some of these places and knows where i might be camping if anyone needs to find me--"check Mug Lake by Lady Boot Bay,he might be there"..Blast and Doug have the right idea,it's just a canoe trip and will be fun to be out in the backcountry.i have picked up alot of good info here and made some changes in my Ditch Vest from reading over all the posts.
my Doc gave me a clean bill of health a few weeks ago so i'm good to go.the PLB/SPOT issue is something i have mulled over all winter and read and re-read everything here about them,so maybe if i go farther north into Canada i'll take one....and from what i read here about what some of you guys pack just to walk around town i'm sure i'll be safer alone in the woods!!!
i'll post again by the 28th-29th--

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 02:47 PM

Yup, that's me. Stomping around on big plywood feet to freak out the tourists. It's totally a hoot. ;-)

Seriously, though, if the risks of a trip justify the expense and invasiveness of a PLB, as an absolute last line of defense, by all means take one.

But in assessing those risks, you have to account for critical factors involving the experience, level of judgement, and preparation of the individuals involved. Is the degree of risk acceptable? In many cases, I think it is.

I have to say that all the close calls I've had were on the highway while driving toward wilderness. That's the high risk activity IMO.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 03:40 PM

Canoedogs,

I don't know your family situation, but you at least have a wife, and that means you have a responsibility beyond yourself now. Were it not available, then it wouldn't be an issue, but since it is, you need to avail yourself of the extra safeguard that a PLB/SPOT provides. Familiarity with the area is not a mitigation. Do the right thing and prepare yourself reasonably. Renting a PLB is an insignificant cost both in terms of gear load and budget. I cannot think of any legitimate argument against doing it.

Otherwise, have a grand ole time!
Posted by: moab

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 04:30 PM

Canoedogs,
Sounds like a great trip and one I've looked at from this side of the pond. Your post seems to deal with the potential problems you might face but you decide not to equip yourself with items that can assist the solo wilderness adventurer (plb/spot), which leaves me confused??
Clearly you must prepare as you see fit and I get the earlier posts about "cutting ties etc" but a plb in a dry bag can't interfere with your enjoyment and might just help in that unlikely event (particularly when large mystical animals are trudging round the camp)of you being incapacitated by any number of ways.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Looking forwards to the pictures.
Have a great trip
Moab
Posted by: Russ

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/10/09 04:44 PM

Have a great trip, I'm envious. As for safety, it sounds like your wife knows the plan -- that and care on your part will go a long way. A Spot would be nice so she can track your progress, but remove all risk and there's no point in going.

Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home. . . cool
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/11/09 12:22 PM

Nesmuk did it without a PLB.

There are a small group of ocean crossing sailors who do not carry an EPIRB (marine PLB). Their attitude is that I got myself into this so it is nobody else's responsibility to get me out.

bill
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/11/09 12:32 PM

Benjammin, just because he, you, I, or whoever have responsibilities, doesn't mean that we all of a sudden have to childproof our lives. If I could use the excuse, I wouldn't do the commute up and down I-95 since that is what will probably kill me. His wife 'appears' to be comfortable with what he does and where he goes as well as his skill level.
Posted by: HerbG

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/11/09 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: williamlatham
Nesmuk did it without a PLB.

There are a small group of ocean crossing sailors who do not carry an EPIRB (marine PLB). Their attitude is that I got myself into this so it is nobody else's responsibility to get me out.

bill

The real test is if they wave off the rescue chopper if and when it appears after their boat sinks!
Posted by: Blast

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/11/09 02:10 PM

Quote:
I have to say that all the close calls I've had were on the highway while driving toward wilderness. That's the high risk activity IMO.

Same here...except for the alligators, copperheads, water moccasins, coral snakes, feral pigs, and the occasional falling tree.

-Blast
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/11/09 04:42 PM

Sounds like a spectacular trip into the back country! have a great time.

Others have mentioned the PLB, so I'll just mention that they mentioned it and agree it might be a good idea to at least rent one if at all possible.

Other than that, have a great time, get some good pics and tell us all about it when you get back!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/12/09 01:43 PM

Okay, let me put it another way.

I have airbags in my pickup. I can use my key and turn off their function if I choose to. I paid for the airbags, but it is up to me whether I will use them or not. It would be difficult for me to explain to my wife and kids from a hospital bed that I chose not to use them even though they were available to me, and that had I used them, I would not be broken and unable to support them for an indefinite period.

I don't think anyone here considers the use of a PLB or a SPOT as a means of childproofing our lives. I believe most of the people here would view such a meager investment as a sound and responsible act, but to each his own. I guess my question then is why not? It doesn't really cost so much that it would be an economic issue. It is not cumbersome, and it in no way interferes with any activity that could conceivably be performed while out on such an adventure. It is there in case something very bad happens and you need to be rescued. How can anyone consider that impractical or superfluous?

Why live with the risk when for practically zero cost you don't have to?

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/12/09 05:05 PM

The biggest reason I don't want to use my PLB is that I fully expect that they'd charge me with the cost of the rescue ... and I would hate to the see the cost of such an activity.
Posted by: comms

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/12/09 07:20 PM

I was in the hospital last year for a week, because of an injury I got to my kidneys and liver, heart and lungs. They told my wife I'd be dead by morning the first night I went to the ER. After all was said and done, I pulled through but with all the consultations with top experts in the city, they all said, "never exercise again, it could kill you, your lucky your alive now, stick with your blessings."

I didn't like that, I felt like they were covering their asses rather than helping me. I eventually found the best clinic in the world that deals with my new condition. The one catch, they did not bill insurance, cash, check or credit card only. Were talking around $10,000.

I did it. Still paying for it on my credit cards. Sure it hurt but the other side was that I could just use that money for my funeral expenses because I'd most certainly have killed myself had I not gone to them and learned what I did about what was going on.

The point is, I have no problem with a 'stupid tax' for being rescued or having a fee for rescue. The other side could be your family never having the closure of finding your remains or your helicopter ride will instead go to the funeral home.

here in AZ we have a Stupid Driver Law. (yes thats accurate) If you illegally drive through a flooded wash and get stuck, your paying for 1st responders to rescue you. Its not a bill you can duck, it's a fine like a speeding ticket.

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/12/09 09:35 PM

Ken you didn't want to pay for the cost of the rescue?

Don't you have to pay for funerals in Illinois? Of course you can only die once, whereas I suppose someone could need multiple - and expensive - rescuing.

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/13/09 03:00 PM

I was referring to the notion that having a PLB leads to people taking unreasonable risks OR that they may tend to activate the PLB for minor issues.

My point was that although I bring my PLB with, I don't want to use it because of the potential cost of the response. So, instead, I minimize risks to avoid the need to activate the PLB.

Like Ben said, I pay for the air bags and the OnStar system, but hope I don't need to use them.

BTW, I don't plan to pay for my own funeral ... I'll let someone else take care of that for me. :-)

Re: My Only Survival Issue - 06/13/09 08:34 PM

Ken

Thanks for the clarification. It sounded like you simply didn't have a PLb