Chris Kavanaugh

Posted by: aloha

Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 04:04 AM

I received a package along with a note from Chris today. Chris, thank you so much for your kindness.

Here's the survival part...His apartment caught fire a few nights ago. He got everyone out including his cat, but everything else is toast.

If he didn't want you all to know, I am sorry Chris. But I hope you will keep him and his in your thoughts and prayers.

I plan on sending him a care package once he gets a new mailing address to me and I was going to ask if anyone else might want to as well. As I am not sure he would want his address widely distributed, I don't mind being the coordinator unless Doug wants to be or Chris is ok with giving out his address. We'll just wait and see until he is back up and running again.

Good luck Chris.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 04:27 AM

Aloha, thank you for offering to coordinate packages for Chris. If he accepts, I definitely want to participate.

Posted by: KG2V

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 10:34 AM

Count me in
Posted by: Kris

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 11:42 AM

I'm in... Whatever you need give me a shout.
Posted by: bojr

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 11:59 AM

I'll do what I can do, right now he needs more than I do.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 12:11 PM

Chris, please post a list of needed items. I'm sure we're all sitting on a pile of odds and ends that could help round out some of the things you're missing.

Perhaps it could be like a wedding registry:

Need 2 Moras, 3 Sparklites, 1 tarp...
And people could trim the list as we fill the items. So you don't end up with, say, 200 Boy Scout Spark flints and 0 botas.

Dave
Posted by: Blast

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 12:12 PM

I'm assuming we can send money to you to pass on to Chris?

-Blast
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 12:47 PM

Aloha,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention; I am sure it was hard decision to make regarding Chris’s situation.

Chris,

If you are able to read the forums, please let us know whatever you need. I believe we can arise to lend a hand.

Will packages to your address be forwarded to your new address?

Pete
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 01:04 PM

FWIW, I have not received any messages from Chris on this, not sure what to make of it. Trying to contact him and find out what's going on.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 01:19 PM

I second Blast's posts!!!!!

I'm in!!!!!!!
Posted by: KenK

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 01:19 PM

Does Red Flare offer a survival registry? :-)

Please do let us know how we can help.

Ken
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 02:43 PM

I'm in too...I got some gear I can send his way, to include sleeping bags, if needed.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 03:01 PM

Having had a home burn down once the main thing you need after a fire is MONEY. You don't have anywhere to store stuff, you're living in smaller, temporary space, and the last thing you need is boxes and boxes of stuff you can't put anywhere.

I've found that prepaid credit cards and prepaid cell phones with lots of minutes are two things that are most useful to people who lost a home.

Of course, if we hear from Chris we'll know more.
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 03:53 PM

I'm in for whatever, and for what it's worth, I live near Chris from what I've gathered in reading some of his posts and can/will act as a local intermediary if needed and/or requested.

Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 04:06 PM

Count me in as well if you would.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Having had a home burn down once the main thing you need after a fire is MONEY. You don't have anywhere to store stuff, you're living in smaller, temporary space, and the last thing you need is boxes and boxes of stuff you can't put anywhere.

I've found that prepaid credit cards and prepaid cell phones with lots of minutes are two things that are most useful to people who lost a home.

Of course, if we hear from Chris we'll know more.

DEAD ON.

Someone let me know the details. Will be in the TRUE BOONIES starting tonight (sat phone only) until wednesday of next week.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 05:56 PM

Aloha Everyone,

According to Chris' note, he is living in temporary quarters with no phone, no computer and no internet.

The main thing is he and his are safe.

When we do hear back from him, we can see what he needs. I would actually prefer everything be sent directly to him, especially money. But if he prefers, I can receive and forward stuff. Just don't send cash (to me).

On behalf of Chris, thanks for your concern.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
FWIW, I have not received any messages from Chris on this, not sure what to make of it. Trying to contact him and find out what's going on.

Doug, the only contact I have had with Chris was from a single hand written note that he stuck in the package of sparklites he had in his car that he was sending to me for my kids. In the note, he asked me to contact you for him, which I did immediately.

I suspect he will contact you once he is back on his feet. I was actually thinking of initially sending a prepaid phone to his old address but am not sure if it would find its way to him as he is living in a temporary place.

That is also why I think we shouldn't jump the gun and send anything yet. I figure he will get back to us when he is ready.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveT
Chris, please post a list of needed items. I'm sure we're all sitting on a pile of odds and ends that could help round out some of the things you're missing.

Perhaps it could be like a wedding registry:

Need 2 Moras, 3 Sparklites, 1 tarp...
And people could trim the list as we fill the items. So you don't end up with, say, 200 Boy Scout Spark flints and 0 botas.

Dave

"The groom will be registered at RedFlare, Aeromedix..."

Let me know if I can help.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 07:24 PM

Count me in, I will be waiting for further information
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 07:55 PM

I'm in for whatever I can do.

Are there any other family members beside his cat? I am thinking the gift cards will be more multipurpose than specific gear; right now.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/09/09 11:11 PM

Count me in as well.

Did he have another fire before? Some people have horrible luck.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/10/09 01:11 AM

I’m game for whatever I can muster.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/10/09 05:12 AM

I'm in too!.

Lee

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/10/09 05:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your concern. I am sure Chris will appreciate it.

It was a tough call posting without his ok. I feel a little bad that I have done so. But I figured whatever I end up sending him will pale in comparison to what we can do as a group and have a better impact on him and his family.

To honor (at least some of) his privacy, I will let him tell what he wants to tell when he is able.

I don't really know Chris well except for a handful of correspondence, but I find him to be a good guy. If I hear from him in advance of his return to the forum, I will pass on whatever news I am able.

Let me know what you think. With the mention of sending money, I would rather not touch that. What if we set up a PayPal account for Chris and give Doug the password. That way he can monitor the account and when Chris is back online, we just give it to him. Then he can access the money and change the password. And it will be clear that only deposits were made and Chris can thank whoever contributed since their is a record of it.

In addition to money, I will send some stuff too, like blankets and the all important Kona coffee. I know Chris likes his coffee. I just wish I could do it now when he might need it most.

Aloha...sitting tight like the rest of you...
Posted by: LED

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/10/09 06:17 AM

Thanks for informing us Aloha. I'd like to help as well.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/10/09 06:19 AM

Best wishes to him and his family - great to see the forum rally round
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/10/09 12:15 PM

Aloha,

Thanks for the heads up in this... Chris was also kind enough to send me an aluminum spark lite a month or so ago.

I'm in to help if at all possible.

Mike
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/11/09 04:56 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of this tragedy. I hope Kris and his family are doing well.

Please let us know of any updates.
Posted by: epirider

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/11/09 10:21 PM

I am in for what ever is needed - from cash to prayers. My condolences for his loss and gratitude for him and his family's safety.
Posted by: massacre

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/12/09 06:07 PM

Count me in as well. Chris is good people, no question about it. Maybe he could use a pre-paid mobile phone (trackfone, boost, etc.)?

Posted by: Frankie

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/12/09 11:08 PM

Chris, although I never received the package with a Sparklite and "a good length of paracord" I would be willing to help if I can. I hope you recover and come back soon. This forum is not the same without you.

François
Posted by: yeti

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/13/09 07:07 PM

Thanks for the info. Count me in as well!

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/16/09 01:30 AM

Doug, have you heard from Chris? I haven't, but today, I picked up a couple of poncho liners to send over along with some other stuff.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/16/09 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: aloha
Doug, have you heard from Chris? I haven't, but today, I picked up a couple of poncho liners to send over along with some other stuff.

I have not heard anything. We've been making attempts to ascertain Chris' current status or make contact, but so far have come up empty. I remain concerned since it isn't all that difficult to borrow access to a computer somehow, someway these days to shoot me an email. I'll post here as soon as I hear something or we turn up anything. Until we get a contact, there's not much we can do. Hopefully, he'll pop up soon.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/17/09 05:47 AM

Thanks Doug. I thought about sending a prepaid phone like a Tracphone to his old address but haven't since I have no idea where it will end up. Yeah, definitely strange. I hope all is well.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/17/09 11:57 AM

Somehow I'm picturing Chris sitting on a hillside somewhere in CA wrapped in a big wool blanket and waving a signal mirror at anything in the sky that moves.

Hopefully he is OK and possibly enjoying a break from the world wide web.

We all miss him.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/17/09 01:03 PM

Isn't there anyone that lives near his area that can track him down? I mean if he went on a hike or somehting and no one heard from him in a week we would be calling SAR, this really shouldn't be any different, as we know now he is missing.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/17/09 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Isn't there anyone that lives near his area that can track him down? I mean if he went on a hike or somehting and no one heard from him in a week we would be calling SAR, this really shouldn't be any different, as we know now he is missing.

"Missing" and "out of contact" are two very different things. We know he was in temp quarters. I'd hazard a guess that he's got more pressing things going on than checking his online stuff.

Does he have an off-line job? Perhaps someone can track him down there and confirm he's still doing OK, and maybe get updated contact info.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/18/09 05:38 PM

Folks,

I think I need to just come out and suggest that we need to contact Chris directly before we do anything like sending stuff. Let this rest for a bit.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/18/09 07:14 PM

I agree with Martin, It is hard to belive that Chris could not contact this site if he wanted to. It is just my wish that he and his famley are all ok, I know that when he dose show up that there are a whole bunch of people ready to help in any way we can.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/18/09 08:01 PM

Thats what I was meaning, not that he needs to get online,but he should have contacted someone to let them know he's ok.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/19/09 02:29 AM

I agree with you Martin and am sitting tight and hoping for the best.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/29/09 11:03 PM

Has there been any news?

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 06/30/09 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Has there been any news?

All I can say at this time is that we are following up on some leads.
Posted by: snoman

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 07/04/09 02:25 AM

I'm in too. I know I don't get in here very often, but I do consider him to be 'part of the family.' Please let me know what I can do.

- Dave
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 07/05/09 04:12 PM

I'm ready to pitch in, and my prayers are with him and his.
Posted by: Bucky

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - 07/08/09 12:21 AM

I sure hope that Chris is okay.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - FROM DR - 07/09/09 12:53 PM

I'd like to give you an update on Chris.

Without speculating on the reasons or motivations behind the last communication from Chris, we have been unable to match his version of the events leading to his absence from this forum to any verified incidents at his last known address(es).

Attempts to contact Chris have been rebuffed. Based on our research, we have no reason to believe he is in dire straits at this time.

As such, we can only say that we can see no reason to collect money or goods as it would seem that they are not actually needed. Our hearts go out to Chris and we hope that he is able to work through whatever issues he is now having.

In the interim, Alan Romania will assume some of Chris' responsibilities moderating the forum, joining Marty and me, but if anyone is interested in this somewhat thankless job, please contact me.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - FROM DR - 07/09/09 04:09 PM

Thanks Doug, Now all we have to do is wait and wonder. It sure would be nice to hear from him again, I know we all miss him and his responces to our posts.

Good luck Chris where ever you are.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - FROM DR - 07/09/09 06:05 PM

Thanks for the update Doug. The very best of wishes to you Chris!

Oh, and if it helps ...

Doug, Martin, and now Alan ... THANKS!!!!

Your work is VERY much appreciated.

Ken
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - FROM DR - 07/09/09 11:04 PM

I was afraid of that. He's been too quiet too long.

People come, people go, and all we can do is remember them the best way we can. Sometimes they don't want to be, or can't be, what they were.
Posted by: cedfire

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - FROM DR - 07/10/09 06:24 PM

Best of luck Chris and Godspeed.

Re: Chris Kavanaugh - FROM DR - 07/11/09 06:19 PM

Thanks Doug for the update. And best wishes to Chris.