What is your real EDC FAK?

Posted by: comms

What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/06/09 03:16 PM

I went through the FAK threads from 2009 and there is no way I am going to carry a toiletry sized bag of first aid items in my EDC. I have a fairly comprehensive purchased kit in my car and a AMK (Adventure Medical Kit) for backpacking. I am looking to add some items to my EDC rather than buy another kit.

So here is what I do carry EDC and it is admittedly incomplete:

latex gloves
sm. bottle of hand-san
6 pepto-bismo pills
6 ibuprofen
6 Tylenol
6 benadryl
anti itch spray
sm. Vaseline for lips (chapped lips & anti chaff)
small pointed tip tweezers
several assorted bandaids
vial iodine
several cough drops
indiv. pouch of electrolyte replacement
small sun screen

Look. This is stuff that might be needed for me or someone I run into on a DAILY basis in a civilized setting. It weighs about 5 oz. (minus the hand-san which is clipped to the outside of my backpack that I EDC.)

MY QUESTION TO YOU IS: IF YOU WOULD ADD 1 OR 2 ITEMS TO MY FAK WHAT WOULD YOU ADD? That item might already be in my normal EDC kit, like a bandanna or what might be found on my Leatherman.

By comparison what did you carry yesterday when you were at the grocery store or the kids ballgame, just living your life. Something, nothing, similar to mine?

I think this new thread will be helpful to those of us who feel their EDC FAK is incomplete.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/06/09 03:56 PM

1x instant cold pack.
2x bandaids.
3x generic aspirin.
3x my daily Rx meds.
itch relief spray pen
1x The Poor Mans' Micro Suture Kit.
Posted by: massacre

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/06/09 06:12 PM

I don't always carry a FAK, but to sporting events and the like, I'll pack a small ziplock with a few nitrile gloves, a few sterile guaze pads and some bandaids.

I EDC some hand sanitizer and often carry some santizing wipes as well.

I really need to include a CPR Barrier just in my EDC.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/06/09 06:19 PM

Suggestions? I might add a bandanna, replace the tweezers with a tiny SAK ( with tweezers incl., plus a blade and a nail file.) (95% of what I use day to day is the meds...Tylenol, etc.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/06/09 09:35 PM

Personally, I'd replace the alcohol gel with Vionexx or their wipes, but that's just me.

Maybe some butterfly bandages, or a small roll of duct tape (can be used as a butterfly, plus help secure a splint).

My car kit is posted up here. Personally, I don't EDC any first aid items. Part of that is I work in a hospital, but really, just don't feel the need to address many of life's little discomforts immediately. Nothing in a pocket FAK, except maybe aspirin, will dramatically improve an injury that can't wait an hour or 2.

OK, maybe immodium and benadryl would be useful too.
Posted by: DannyL

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/06/09 11:22 PM

6 band-aids in my wallet.

I'm no more than 20 ft away from a well stocked kit at work, and at home I have what some would feel a portable MASH unit. And of course, a FAK in the vehicle.

Going into the field...(with a few additions...)
pro-lite .9

This is my latest addition for the field tho...
ultralite pro

Posted by: OilfieldCowboy

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/07/09 04:40 AM

Electricians/Duct tape and whatever absorbant is at hand (tp, paper tower, chunk of fabric cloth, etc).

Should see about having a -real- FAK in my EDC gear someday.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/07/09 01:08 PM

Burn gel. It's not just for burns, it can be used as a sterile covering for many wounds. It's probably better than an antiseptic (which, being non-specific, can also inhibit healing).
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/07/09 01:52 PM

Danny your links don't work

Mike
Posted by: Russ

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/07/09 02:26 PM

he's got an http// that doesn't belong.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/07/09 02:44 PM

Previously there was discussion of the "murse", and I sent in the picture of my F350 pick up. It is true, that my truck really is my "murse" in that I am NEVER without it at work/home. As such I assume you are looking more toward EDC for folks separated from their vehicles?

I have the "MASH BAG" in each of our vehicles, but my jump bag (riding with someone else) has about what you listed plus a few items for major bleeding.

You might consider some glucose paste. I have it due to my Hypoglycemia, and it sure works in a pinch.
Posted by: Stu

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/08/09 04:04 PM

AMK ultralite .7 upgraded (in Red)

Bandage Materials
4 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
3 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
3 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
2 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
6 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
2 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
Bleeding
2 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe
Blister / Burn
11 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped[/spoiler]
Duct Tape
1 Duct Tape, 2" x 100"
Fracture / [b][/b]Sprain
1 Bandage, Elastic with Velcro, 2"[/spoiler]
Instrument
3 Safety Pins
1 Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
Medication
2 After Bite Wipe
2 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
2 Bayer 325 mg Aspirin Pkd./2
8 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
Other
2 Aloksak Waterproof Bag, 6.75" X 6"
Wound Care
5 After Cuts & Scrapes Anethestic/Antiseptic Wipe
1 Tape, 1" x 10 Yards
1 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial
3 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 1/32 oz
Posted by: LeeG

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/08/09 07:02 PM

I carry a small alosak bag in my back pocket with a bandanna.

A few various sized bandaids, advil, and Allergy pills. The tums I swap in or out depending on if I have been needing them lately.

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/23/09 09:21 PM

That looks like a good kit. Only thing I'd add is contact drops and maybe sunscreen chapstick.

TRO
Posted by: Lono

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 06/23/09 10:07 PM

My real Every Day Carry is a pair of nitrile gloves in a 35 mm film cannister, keep it in my jacket pocket. Ambu mask for CPR breathing in my office evacuation kit, laerdals in car and at home. Usually but not always a bandana in my back pocket, non-sterile. We have good FAK wall units at work, I keep loads of FA in my car and at home and in hiking gear. Having a blood barrier in the form of nitrile gloves is all that I need Every Day on my person. And its surprising how often I've cycled through gloves in the past 6 months, from a co-worker with a cut head (and Hep A it turns out) to a 5th grader thrasher with a bad road rash (my bandana helped with both of those).

Re: What is your real EDC FAK? - 09/17/09 02:23 PM

Any problems with meds getting broken/ squished /accidentally opened due to the soft case?