Bugging Out (long)

Posted by: AROTC

Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 09:45 AM

I was just involved in the Noncombatant Evacuation Operation (NEO) exercise in Seoul a couple of weeks ago. The military practices this every year to prepare for potential emergencies, not any specific emergency (It was however planned to jack with the third weekend for me that month. Field recovery and soldiers doing stupid mangled the other two). Emergencies including not just all out war, but any large scale threat that might endanger the large numbers of families and not uniformed people who work for the military or embassy here. On a wider scale, it may be expanded to include all US civilians living in Korea. Some of the information I learned applies only to a military NEO evacuation overseas, some of it applies equally well to an evacuation in the US.

First, you're going more trouble evacuating if you don't have your passport, birth certificate or other proof of citizenship with you when you go to the evacuation center. Everything else is optional, food, clothes, everything, but if you leave your house with nothing else take your passport with you. On that, copies work too. Keep a copy of your passport on you at all times. doesn't matter how long you've lived there. Likewise, the passport card for travel in the North American continent is an excellent back up. It won't let you travel, but it will let you evacuate. Its also waterproof and fits in your wallet.

Second, packing for an evacuation is a very careful balance. A soldier's wife and two kids evacuating have to carry clothes, toiletries, blankets and food and water for three days (that's on the NEO checklist). They're authorized 66 pounds per person. Now, theoretically that wife can pack almost 200 pounds for her and her two small children. However, there are no baggage carts or bellhops in an evacuation. She has to carry it all herself. She also has to keep an eye on it herself to protect against it getting lost or stolen. That 200 pounds is a straight up impossibility. In other words, if you own it expect to leave it behind. You should be carrying only what you need to keep you alive and the documents you need to establish a new life and that's it. Everything else is gravy.

Once you're packed take it for a one-mile walk. If you're dead tired at the end, find a better bag or drop some stuff or both. Enough toiletries for three days is only a few ounces. Most of those toiletries are optional. Toothbrush and toothpaste, soap, comb are what you really need. At the same time, invest money and weight in waterproof bags and pack everything in them. They'll protect your stuff from water, sand and bugs. Pack for disparate environments. You don't have to be prepared for desert and arctic. But light clothes with sweaters and rain gear. Be prepared to sleep on a floor, in a chair or on a bus. If you smoke, pack nicotine gum. Get used to spending a few days getting your hit from that instead of cigarettes. The army suggests packing sixty days of medications if you take any. Sounds like solid advice to me.

When you evacuate, there will almost certainly be a security checkpoint. They won't be as strict as the TSA, but they're looking for the same kinds of things. Go along with it, they're there to keep everyone inside the evacuation center safe. They might let a pocket knife slide, but don't get angry if they don't. If it really bothers you, I recommend dropping a red scaled, non-locking swiss army knife into your bag next to your flashlight and AM/FM radio. Its the least threatening and most likely to be overlooked way to keep a knife. But again, if they confiscate it, they confiscate it. In a real military evacuation, they're the guys with the M-16s and the stars and stripes on their shoulders, they're trying to stop they guys on the outside with the IEDs and AKs. OR they're the National Guard and the waters are starting rise over your head. Humor them.

If you have pets, you need to have a plan for them. Buy an FAA approved kennel for each pet. Label it with your name and address, your point of contact in another state or in the US and the animal's name. Put the label in a ziplock bag and tape it to the kennel. Make sure you have ten days of food set aside in a tuperware container for your animal labeled with the same info and how much food to feed it. If you aren't willing to do what it takes to evacuate your animal, get rid of it now. I'll say that again, if you can't or won't evacuate your animal(s) get rid of them now. They'll starve and die on their own or, they'll pack up and become a threat to people left behind.

If you have children, you need to keep track of them and keep them calm and under control. The best way of course is good self-discipline. But there's always an age between when they learn to walk and when they learn not to walk. Team up with a neighbor and evacuate together. Have them watch the kids while you inprocess, then watch the kids while they inprocess. Make sure the kids understand what's happening and why. Take them on a run through. Kids understand very well, and they're more resilient then people give them credit for. They just have to understand and be made comfortable with what's happening. Even for children, being afraid doesn't mean being out of control. Comfort food, or comfort items (stuft animal or the like) may help you keep them calm. Have a plan for if you get separated. "We will meet here, you will find a soldier/aid worker/police man and give him my name and make them understand you're lost, or mommie will be wearing a bright blue jacket."

If you're overseas and they have an exercise, take full advantage of it. If not, stage your own exercise. Take your kids, pets and bags with you and see how much you can handle. Do you kids run off? How do you carry an animal in a kennel and your bag and keep your kids from running away? Go through all the optional stations. Read all the material and take notes, keep the notes in your binder with your documents. Know the right answer to questions that don't seem to apply to you. They might apply later or you knowing the answer might help someone else (which helps everyone).

Finally, eat whenever and whatever you can, sleep whenever you can and use the restroom whenever you can, the last one particularly before getting on any vehicle. Buses will be sitting in traffic. Planes will probably be sitting on the tarmac. If you're told you have ten hours to get to the evacuation center, spend half of one of them eating a hot meal. If you're single and you don't have anyone else to evacuate, spend half an hour eating a hot meal and half an hour showering and changing into clean clothes. If everything is packed and ready to go, routes planned, its the most productive thing you can do. It might sound ridiculous, but you don't know when you'll get another hot meal or hot shower. Then walk around your house, make sure windows are closed, lights are out and faucets are off. It might not be that bad, you might be coming back to all your "nice, neat flaming possessions". Hate to come back and find out the toilet overflowed and flooded your living room.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 11:47 AM

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

How are things over there now? Sounds like some big sabers are rattling.

Stay safe,
-Blast
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 12:33 PM

Great post, shows some good ideas, but also points out some solid reasons to prepare to take care of yourself and your own, so you don't have to go anywhere near any public or government shelters, if at all possible.
Posted by: BigToe

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: AROTC
Everything else is optional, food, clothes, everything, but if you leave your house with nothing else take your passport with you.

Thanks for this great post, AROTC. A passport copy for me and mine is one thing I did not have in my BOB. Appreciated.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 10:13 PM

A passport is only useful when going across country borders right? As far as I understand. I've never traveled to anothert country so I've not seen the need for one, should I even worry about it?
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 10:29 PM

That was excellent, thank you!
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
A passport is only useful when going across country borders right? As far as I understand. I've never traveled to anothert country so I've not seen the need for one, should I even worry about it?

A passport is so very handy even if you don't travel overseas. It's a "root document" - you can use it for identity anywhere and everywhere, it's got a really long expiration period, they are durable, and you never know, one day you just might want to see the other 96% of the world...can't hurt, might help.

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 10:49 PM

Thanks

North Korea is making a lot of noise, but tensions rise and fall on the Korean peninsula like a heart beat. Over the last several decades, the north has launched special forces and assassination attempts against the south and even taken a US warship hostage. What's happening now seems to be directed towards the North Korean population as part of the preparation for regime change. The US is also a target audience, since the current administration has taken a fairly hard line towards negotiations with North Korea. North Korea is supported totally by foreign energy and food aid. Maintaining that support is vital to the regime.

I'm not particularly concerned about the latest nuclear test (I am broadly concerned about the continued spread of nuclear weapon technology). The test is a message, part of negotiation. It was even announced a few months ago. North Korea is talking, I think about it as national body language.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 11:02 PM

State ID is nice. Federally issued ID is nicer. That is why passports are so very nice to have.
Posted by: ame

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 11:10 PM

AROTC, you wrote:

"Likewise, the passport card for travel in the North American continent is an excellent back up."

Could you please explain what a "passport card" is? Is it a *required* document for travel in North America, or just a convenience?

Thanks,

A
Posted by: katarin

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 11:23 PM

It's not required to travel within the USA... but I think it's another form of id that can now be used to travel to canada.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/28/09 11:27 PM

Military ID and state drivers license are EDC. Passport is my laptop computer bag.

Fortunately I do not envision bugging out in the sense of moving south from the DMZ. That is a beautiful part of the world I have no interest in seeing again -- particularly while those guys to the north have so much motivation to restart a war that should have been over in 1953. Fifty six years. . .
Posted by: Russ

Re: Passport Card - 05/28/09 11:31 PM

U.S. Passport Card Frequently Asked Questions

United States Passport Card Application Guide
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Passport Card - 05/28/09 11:59 PM

I was tasked to help run some of the stations for NEO when I was "fortunate" enough to be stationed there.

I was just freaking amazed at how lightly the spouses took the entire excersize and how unprepared they would be should it be real. They would show up in dresses and flip flops - this was mid February with 2 feet of snow on the ground - and not have half the required paperwork. Probably 20% didn't have a clue what to do anyhow.

Great initial post btw, lots of insight.

What got tons of screams, the fact that pets would not be evac'd. They would be euthanized on site. Oh how they hollered...
Posted by: CrazyJ

Re: Pets - 05/29/09 12:21 AM

Pets are now considered "member of the family" and will be evacuated as well. Small pets can be hand carried in their carriers (counted against the owner's weight allowance). Larger pets in their crates are tracked and evacuated in the same system as the people, though they're not supposed to take a seat away from a person...

Re: Pets - 05/29/09 07:20 AM

That's what we told people. Under 25 pounds and your animal and their food could be counted towards the 66 pounds of authorized luggage. Larger than that and they'd be left at the evacuation center with their ten days of food to fly home space available. We also told people their house hold goods and cars would be shipped to them.

Re: Passport Card - 05/29/09 07:29 AM

Perfect. The card is a convenience for people who live near the border and travel frequently over it. The card is smaller and less expensive than a traditional passport. Inside the US, one needs no travel documents unless you're operating a motor vehicle.

Passports are superior to state IDs such as driver's licenses (or dependent military IDs) in that they are proof of citizenship. Unlike a birth certificate or certificate of naturalization it also combines proof of citizenship with photo ID. I don't think its essential for people living in the US but it is very powerful and if you don't use it for travel frequently, you can leave it in your bug out kit and rely on having ID if you lose or have to leave your wallet or checkbook.
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Passport Card - 05/29/09 04:49 PM

Great post, thanks.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Passport Card - 05/29/09 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: AROTC
Inside the US, one needs no travel documents unless you're operating a motor vehicle.

Although we don't require travel documents to travel within the country, many disaster areas will be restricted to residents for a certain time period. A driver's license is probably the easiest, most universally accepted proof of being a resident (in the US) of some disaster area, like after a flood, tornado, wildfire or other calamity.

I remember watching the TV news of a wildfire down here not long ago. People were already at work when the wildfire broke out and lot's of people sped home to gather belongings, get pets, etc. Only residents were allowed back into the threatened neighborhoods because the flames were very close at that point and it was dangerous to be there. When minutes counted, it was easiest to flash the driver's license with your address than to try and scrounge up other documents that have your address on it. For privacy or other reasons, some of us have PO Boxes or other alternate addresses on all of our bills, our driver's license, on the vehicle registration and insurance card which is different from where we actually live. I'm not sure what happened to people at that wildfire who couldn't immediately prove their addresses, but I'm pretty certain they couldn't just drive right in like the others.

There could be curfews within disaster zones, particularly if there are already any problems with security, like reports of looting. If you're stopped by the police, you're probably far less likely to be hassled and grilled if you can prove that you live just a couple blocks down the street than if you live in the next county.

Proving your identity is important, but in some situations, so is proving your residency.
Posted by: LED

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/29/09 09:34 PM

Informative post, thanks AROTC. Considering the constant high state of alert, things would have to be pretty dire for evacuation to be called wouldn't they? I mean, how would they have time to search people's personal bags for example?
Posted by: CrazyJ

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/29/09 10:49 PM

Like any other disaster area, the decision for a mandatory evacuation is a political one and requires consultation with a wide variety of agencies. In any crisis, natural or man-made, if you wait for the government to tell you to evacuate then it is bordering on too late. Once you surrender responsibility for your safety and evacuation over to another agency, you are subject to that group's polices and procedures. Just like at a disaster shelter in the US, your belongings will be searched and they will confiscate contraband items for the safety of the group.

As always, personal responsibility for your own safety is the easiest way to avoid being trapped in the evacuation system. Stay abreast of the current military and political situaion, gather the information, read the tea leaves, and evaluate when the situation goes beyond your personal level of acceptable risk. Then buy a plane ticket to somewhere with sand and sun. Worst case you burn a few vacation days working on your tan and sipping umbrella drinks. But if the situation continues to get worse, you're already safely out of the area and watching the chaos of the evacuation on TV instead of standing in line to be welcomed into the "Superdome Part Deux"...

-J
Posted by: LED

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/30/09 04:22 AM

Sounds like my kinda evac plan. I'll bring the sunscreen.
Posted by: slader

Re: Bugging Out (long) - 05/30/09 06:36 PM

I was involved in a NEO exercise in the Middle East a few months back. Our role-playing evacuees included military personnel, as well as embassy staffers and their family members. I'll echo everything AROTC mentioned in his post.

DON'T cause a fuss when the Marines take your toys. (We had some role players who were supposed the act up and cause problems. The Marines did their job).

As for passports - I have never been somewhere when I thought "I wish I didn't have my passport on me." I've had one since I was 19 and will keep a current one until they put me in the grave.