Edible Wild Plants / Foraging Classes

Posted by: TomSwango

Edible Wild Plants / Foraging Classes - 05/07/09 01:25 AM

Can anyone recommend a good class on foraging or identifying edible wild plants. Currently I am in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (Tennessee)
Posted by: Blast

Re: Edible Wild Plants / Foraging Classes - 05/07/09 12:14 PM

Start calling whoever is in charge of your local parks, nature preserves, and botanical gardens. They usually have at least one person who knows this skill. If that doesn't pan out look for some living history events where they reenact earlier times. There's often a plant guru among the reeneactors. If none of these turn up anything start contacting the botany and athropology (thanks, CK!) departments of local colleges and see if anyone there knows anything. This sort of three-pronged search has always worked for me when I've moved somewhere new.

-Blast
Posted by: urbansurvivalist

Re: Edible Wild Plants / Foraging Classes - 05/07/09 03:58 PM

How far are you from Asheville, NC? There are a bunch of people in this area who lead herb walks and teach about wild edible and medicinal plants. The only name that comes to mind is Corey Pine, if you ask around in the Asheville area chances are you can find him. The Asheville Mushroom Club is a good resource if you're interested in edible mushrooms.

Also this summer there will be the second annual Firefly Gathering(google it), which has workshops on all sorts of primitive skills, including several plant walks. Also other awesome things like primitive archery, flint knapping, etc.