Looking for a water bottle.....

Posted by: CJK

Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 07:23 PM

We have long been looking to replace our store bought water bottles with more Eco friendly ones.....there have been some commercials on TV for the Eco canteen...stainless steel bottle. My wife and I were talking about it and a question came up. Stainless steel vs the Nalgeen of the 'same' size. Forgetting the discussion of things like....you can use the stainless steel one to boil water....

Our question is....given all other things equal......which would remain colder longer......?
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 07:29 PM

ECO friendly is a word up there with organic. How much virgin water and coal burning in a mill is used in the manufacturing process of stainless steel, fossil fuel to transport it ( lets guess where it is made)and a dozen other impacts measured and not.

If you want a onetime buy, longterm unit both are excellent choices.Nalgeen wil have greater insulating abilitysimply based on thicker material. I don't think either will win any contests.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 07:43 PM

I was just having a conversation with a coworker about her Kleen Kanteen the other day. She used to fill up her Nalgene from the chilled water cooler in the morning and sip from that at her desk throughout the day. She says that after she switched to the Kleen Kanteen, she thought that the water stayed cooler longer.

However, being uninsulated, I doubt that this would be the case in other situations, like strapped to the outside of your pack with the hot sun beating down on it.
Posted by: comms

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 09:00 PM

Keep your pocket book green by going to the local surplus store and buy a $3 army canteen. Pocket the $25 you saved NOT buying a Kleen Kanteen.

Well thats what I do. I also own Nalgenes. I prefer those, except for when I take a carbonated beverage with me like Sparkling water. Nalgenes leak, stainless steel bottles don't.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 09:16 PM

I would not think either would do much better for keeping water cooler.

I bought neoprene "jackets" for our Sigg bottles and they really do work.

Slipping a Kleen Kanteen in a thick wool sock would work too. I use this trick on any water I carry in my pack. The slimmer metal bottles slip into a sock way easier than the plastic.

Back when I climbed I wrapped my Nalgene bottle with closed cell foam.....more to keep it from freezing than to keep the contents cold but, other than pretty ugly, that worked great.

Posted by: camerono

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: comms
Nalgenes leak, stainless steel bottles don't.

Interesting statement. How do Nalgenes leak?

Thanks

CO
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 09:44 PM

I think he means in reference to carbonated water.

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 09:50 PM

Right. Put Sparkling Water in a Nalgene and it will seep through the lid. Stainless Steel bottles like Kleen or Sigg do not leak.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 10:43 PM

Thermos brand thermos bottles make nice light stainless steel versions of their thermoses.
I am not so impressed with their recent price hikes, but thats just the way the bee bumbles.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/09/09 11:03 PM

Thanks.....everyone is basically confirming what we had been throwing around. We currently use 'bottle holders' (including neoprene) and have the same results all of you have been having (or had) with your bottles.

I do have 3 surplus canteens.....they work for me, but my wife and the boys prefer a slightly more 'conventional' appearance. Hence the search for the bottles.....

I'll report your information and ask what she prefers.......

Oh and Chris.....Eco friendly was just tossed out there......we currently use too many store bought bottles to even think we are evironmentally conscious with them... We were looking for a 'better' option......though we still will have the 9-10 cases of bottled water for the 'long term'/hurricane prep.....
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 12:43 AM

I have 3 of these, they will keep your beverage cold all day in a hot car.

Thermos quick charge
Posted by: jimtanker

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 01:26 AM

I use a 1 liter water or soda bottle over and over and over again. Cheapest out of all that have been suggested so far and greener since you are recycling.

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 01:53 AM

I used to do like Jim Tanker but freeze them if I wanted cold water on a hot day. They melt just about enough to give you a cold drink when you need one.
They also work as ice packs in a cooler if you use one.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 02:37 AM

I have a 100oz Thermobak and two 1 liter Sigg bottles with Neoprene covers. The Insulated Sigg bottles keep water about as cool as my Neoprene covered Nalgenes did. I believe the Camelbak keeps water cooler longer, but that is probably due to the amount of Ice I can fill it with.

Posted by: ch451

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 03:24 AM

I like the Polar Bottle, used it for years. Never had a problem. Plus it is insulated. As so like Nalgenes.
link for polar
http://www.polarbottle.com/

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 06:03 AM

Desert bags always leak. Thats cool though.
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 11:30 AM

"It's amazing what people have used"

Reminded me of a time I was finishing up a week long backpack in the Grand Canyon. I was on the Bright Angel Trail, hiking up from Phantom Ranch. Guy coming down the trail carrying (in hand) a 1 gallon plastic container like you would buy milk in. It appeared to have Gatorade/Koolaid/ or something. He seemed to be just as happy as a clam on a rim to river to rim hike.

LW

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 03:37 PM

At one of the various primitive skills courses I've taken over the years, an assistant used a dried gourd with a corncob stopper on a sling of cordage she made from dogbane...
Posted by: Colourful

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 04:37 PM

Eco friendly means no truck delivered, plastic stored, bottled water. Tap water is the way to go
Cheers
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/10/09 05:20 PM

One thing people overlook with military canteens and canteen holders-the fuzzy stuff inside is INSULATION. While in Cuba, we would chill our canteens, then soak the holders in cool water, and it would keep the contents cold most of the day. A wool sock would likely do the same over a bottle-we used to soak our berets as well, and that works great too. I dont think, side by side, there would really be any difference between an uninsulated plastic bottle vs an uninsulated metal one. Metal conducts heat better though, so it MAY be plastic works better-but, again, I think for the sake of argument, the difference is negligible.
I agree with Colorama too...tap water is fine here in the US. I refuse to purchase water when I get the same stuff for free. Save your money for something that ISNT given to you....

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/12/09 09:26 PM

I just got an email from a friend asking about SIGG's Stainless Steel water bottles so I checked their site. I didn't even know these existed. They're called Steel Works by Sigg. The site shows all shapes and sizes, but I found even more from a few retailers online.

It looks like Kleen Canteen and others are still a few dollars cheaper though.

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/13/09 03:08 AM

Siggs got a good size market share in bottles. Their Century bottle is really heavy. Not something I would want to lug around regardless of what i was carrying it in or on.
Posted by: atoz

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/14/09 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
I was just having a conversation with a coworker about her Kleen Kanteen the other day. She used to fill up her Nalgene from the chilled water cooler in the morning and sip from that at her desk throughout the day. She says that after she switched to the Kleen Kanteen, she thought that the water stayed cooler longer.

However, being uninsulated, I doubt that this would be the case in other situations, like strapped to the outside of your pack with the hot sun beating down on it.

Better still go to the local supermarket and buy a bottle of fizzy water, I like Kiwi Strawberry, and drink it and then use the bottle for water. The plastic used is tougher then the plastic used in a bottle of water, as they have to hold some pressure. Then just clean as need.
cheers
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 01:11 AM

Walgreen's is selling (here in NorCal) stainless steel water bottles with cheapie d rings and plastic caps for $3.99, I bought 10 of them for what 2 kleen kanteens would cost, but let's see how they hold up.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 04:10 AM

I have quite a few Nalgene bottles and Kleen canteens, some I've bought and never used. The ones I stick with now are 32oz clear Nalgene bottles and 18oz single-walled stainless Kleen canteens.

I like the Kleen canteens for belt carry, as they're a good size for that, and if it somehow ends up being the only water bottle I have, I can use it to boil water in.

The Nalgenes I like for general water carrying. Because they're clear with graduated markings it makes it easy to see exactly how much water you have left. This is great for cooking as well (measuring out water is easy).

I've also equipped the Nalgenes with Guyot designs "Firefly" lids. I find these seal better than the stock Nalgene lids and they have a neat little function of a built in flashlight that turns your water bottles into a dim lantern (or a so-so back-up flashlight if worst comes to worst).

I've tried camelbacks in the past, but I've never really had good luck with them, so I don't trust them.

Now, I also have a little 8oz single-walled stainless steel flask that I carry, usually filled with Booker's bourbon...but that's for another topic of discussion. grin
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 04:50 AM

Hey Paul,

After a tragic inner-pack plastic bottle explosion about 15 years ago I have carried my whisky in an aluminum fuel bottle ever since. Lately I have noticed that the interior of the bottle is corroding and stuff is floating in my hooch; aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory.

Any problems with alcohol (the drinking kind, not stove fuel) being stored in a stainless steel bottle, because aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hey Paul,

After a tragic inner-pack plastic bottle explosion about 15 years ago I have carried my whisky in an aluminum fuel bottle ever since. Lately I have noticed that the interior of the bottle is corroding and stuff is floating in my hooch; aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory.

Any problems with alcohol (the drinking kind, not stove fuel) being stored in a stainless steel bottle, because aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory?

Thanks,

Mike

Nope, nothing really. The steel can impart a slight metallic taste over time and it will build up pressure when it gets warmer (which is why I never fill it all the way up to the top), but otherwise it seems like alcohol can be left in there for a long time without ill consequences. I would say at least a few months.

With that said, if you plan on using a traditional flask, you do have to work to find a good one. Most of the ones you find in stores today are of poor quality. Either poorly soldiered/welded, poorly sealing (of the cap), or both. The better ones are less likely to leak and break, however they're tough to find and usually pretty expensive.

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 08:57 AM

There is something about cleaning stainless steel thermoses and water bottles we should all know, but might want a reminder about.
NO BLEACH!
The bleach eats the steel and causes perforations in it, like pinholes.
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 04:30 PM

I believe that Sigg, the maker of all those aluminum fuel bottles and now I guess water bottles used to recommend only using their anodized version for alcohol. The old rule was use the silver ones for your white gas and the red ones for your white lightning.

JohnE
Posted by: billvann

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 05:41 PM

Okay, I'll admit it. I had to Google "LAPHROAIG"

Laphroaig 30 Year Old Single Islay Malt Scotch Whisky. The aroma, on pouring the 30 year old, gives an initial burst of sherry, the full profound depth and ...

Chris, I'll go camping with you any time. I'm not necessarily a scotch man, but I can recognize and appreciate style when I see it. grin
Posted by: nurit

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/15/09 05:57 PM

Thanks, Scafool. I didn't know that.

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/16/09 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: billvann
Okay, I'll admit it. I had to Google "LAPHROAIG"

Laphroaig 30 Year Old Single Islay Malt Scotch Whisky. The aroma, on pouring the 30 year old, gives an initial burst of sherry, the full profound depth and ...

Chris, I'll go camping with you any time. I'm not necessarily a scotch man, but I can recognize and appreciate style when I see it. grin

Personally I prefer The Macallan, but I guess, if I'm camping, Laphroaig is ok. wink

With that said, it's not a camping trip without a nice bottle of Armagnac. smile
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/16/09 10:35 PM

Ah, Armagnac. My love of Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander" series brought me to buy a bottle.

I took the last of my bottle on a camping trip in March...and also got to try a bottle of Balvenie 21-year-old scotch, which just knocked the socks off of every other scotch I've ever tried.
(Not sure if that means I've found the best scotch for me, or I need to try more scotch grin)

Dave
Posted by: billvann

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/20/09 02:55 PM

I think I've been camping with the Boy Scouts too long. These liquid supplies don't make it into my kitchen on these trips :-(

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/20/09 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: billvann
I think I've been camping with the Boy Scouts too long. These liquid supplies don't make it into my kitchen on these trips :-(

Not even a bottle of cheap cooking sherry? How do make your flambe dishes then? eek

wink
Posted by: sandbasser

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 04/23/09 12:33 AM

Laken bottles are quite nice... but, a little pricey
Posted by: raven

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 05/14/09 01:19 AM

I still like my good ole G.I canteen

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 05/14/09 02:51 PM

Funny enough raven, I often carry my GI Canteen with me in & out of businesses during the day. I am never surprised at how often people call me out for it. In a good way, like a *blink*blink* "Did I really just buy a $25 kleen canteen when I could have used the GI canteen in my gear box at home?"
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 05/14/09 10:56 PM

I have buddies who use USGIs. But I like water that doesn't taste like a tire. *laughs*
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 05/15/09 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
I have buddies who use USGIs. But I like water that doesn't taste like a tire. *laughs*

Then Nalgene has a canteen for you. Triton canteen
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 05/15/09 02:16 AM

I'll stick with my BPA contaminated bottles.

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 05/15/09 03:06 AM

I think another reson I like my G.I canteen is that a metal cup that fits so nice under it .and some thing eles 14yrs ago my back went out [ can't spell it ] tthe DR said I'll be pazly in 5years from the wist down [ he was worng] I can still hike but can not carry as much so I us a web belt with most of my stuff below where my back pain is , very litter wigth on my shouder most on my hips . if I'm wearing BDU's I look like I'm AWOL from the army. most of my hiking gear is military cause it's cheaper and will last forevery. I've never had any of it break on me

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 05/15/09 03:09 AM

thanks for the info
Posted by: yeti

Re: Looking for a water bottle..... - 06/13/09 10:36 PM

Guyot designs SS bottle with an outdoor research insulated bottle jacket. Same profile as Nalgenes. Ice and liquid in the morning still cool in early afternoon. I use them all day long at work and around outside, hiking, etc. They do weigh more than Nalgenes, but I also can cook.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=162410