New minimalist Leatherman

Posted by: BrianB

New minimalist Leatherman - 03/28/09 03:25 PM

I was just looking over the Leatherman site and the Freestyle/Freestyle CX caught my eye:

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/pocket-tools/freestyle-cx.aspx

It looks like it's going to release in May. I'm thinking it'd be a nice tool to toss into a kit if you just want the pliers and a spare knife blade, and don't want the weight of a full-sized multitool.

Posted by: KenK

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/28/09 04:44 PM

That looks nice. I wonder what kind of lock it uses for the blade?

Also a little worried that those holes will get gunked up with food and such. Still, the low weight is amazing for a LM.
Posted by: mike_m

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/28/09 06:11 PM

it appears to use the same locking mechanism as the skeletool. This seems to be just a scaled down version of the skeletool. For EDC, I would not trade the skeletool for this; the screwdriver bits and bottle opener get more use from me than the blade and pliers.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/28/09 06:33 PM

Looks nice but to me, even the Skeletool is a bit too basic. I guess I'd never trade it for my Wave. smile
Posted by: BrianB

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/28/09 07:08 PM

Oh, it's no Wave replacement. I love my Wave. I wouldn't trade a Skeletool for it either, as the Skeletool has the same advantages with more functions. (In fact, I've kind of wondered what the point of this tool is when the Skeletool is already in the line up.)

On the other hand, it's a cool little gadget, so I figured I'd share. =)

Posted by: Paul810

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/30/09 03:52 AM

Basically, it's a one-handed liner lock knife combined with pliers that can be clipped to a pocket. In itself, I would say it's kind of lacking.

However, I think it would be awesome combined with a traditional SAK, as it addresses the things traditional SAKs tend to lack (locking one handed opening blade with a pocket clip, good pliers).
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/30/09 04:42 AM

Quote:
However, I think it would be awesome combined with a traditional SAK, as it addresses the things traditional SAKs tend to lack (locking one handed opening blade with a pocket clip, good pliers).

Yes... But then again, it wouldn't be that practical because you'd need to carry both a SAK and a multitool. I reckon it would make more sense to carry the Wave instead. It has all the tools in one package, so less bulk and weight.

Anyway, I don't quite understand this fascination with "minimalist" multitools. Some of the newer models by Leatherman have really been watered down to the point where functionally, one would be better off with a plain SAK.

Is the negligibly reduced weight and size worth sacrificing all the tools that make the old Leathermans so useful? Looking at a Skeletool, I see a whole lot less bang for the buck compared to my Wave and it's basically the same size multitool. I won't even comment on that latest Leatherman. If you really want to go minimalist, why not just buy some decent pliers from the hardware store? I mean, you're going to get a lot better pliers than any possibly found in a multitool, at a fraction of the price.

Anyway, I guess I just prefer serious multitools packed with features. /End of rant... smile
Posted by: Paul810

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/30/09 08:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Quote:

Yes... But then again, it wouldn't be that practical because you'd need to carry both a SAK and a multitool. I reckon it would make more sense to carry the Wave instead. It has all the tools in one package, so less bulk and weight.

It could have a few advantages:

-It allows you to tailor your tool selection to what you are doing.

-It gives you two separate blades, in case you loose one tool or need to loan one out, you've still got something.

I guess it depends upon what your needs and wants are.

In my case, I could see a use for this in my EDC. I usually don't carry a multitool anymore as part of my EDC, as I don't like the bulk and weight of the larger tools, like the Charge/Wave. Instead I opt to just carry a Benchmade 707 clipped to my pocket and a Swiss card Lite in my wallet. I could see myself replacing the 707 with this.

I wouldn't really loose anything over the 707, but I would gain a pair of pliers. Combined with the swiss card I would have a pretty substantial tool-selection, without the bulk of a larger multi-tool.
Posted by: GoatMan

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/30/09 02:06 PM

Newer Leathermans are much bulkier and heavier than the original PST which was light and compact. Several versions have tried to fill the void though.

For use in the back country, I think the Freestyle CX may hit a sweet spot. For those wanting a quality folder with a locking blade as a backup to their fixed blade, but also have a hard time leaving pliers behind, can now have both in one package, without needing screwdrivers and files (again, think back packing). A saw would be a nice inclusion though.

Having pliers to hold pots over a fire, take the lid off a dutch oven, or fix a pack in the back country, is really handy. Having a good locking blade available on it as well in such a light and relatively thin (for a multi-tool) package, is really nice.

My .02.
Posted by: mike_m

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/30/09 03:51 PM

another nice option with the skeletool and some of their knives is the built in carabiner. I have lost a couple of folders while hunting or fishing. I now clip the tool/knife onto belt loop/pack/waders, etc. to help reduce the risk of losing. The knives may be a good idea to clip on a pack somewhere and forget about and only use in case your primary is gone.

This new minamalist knife could certainly be useful where all you need is a knife and pliers, like backpacking as someone else mentioned. Like I said earlier, for everyday use, I find I use the screwdrivers more than anything else. I prefer the skeletool over a wave or one of the other tools because I like to carry it clipped in my pocket versus some type of tool sheath on my belt.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: New minimalist Leatherman - 03/31/09 09:05 PM

Meh.

For the expense, I'd just stow a pair of needle nose pliers and a dedicated pocket knife if all I wanted was the pliers and a knife blade. I like my multi to have all the stuff in it.