Alaska trip!

Posted by: MDinana

Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 06:42 PM

As promised, my gear for Alaska. This is overnight gear/emergency, not truly camping. Hence, not a big emphasis on tents, cooking gear, etc.

My bag, a Kelty 3000cubic inch backpack

My e-food: 3 400-cal bars, 3 400-cal drink mixes, 3 freeze-dried dinner entrees. Also seen, my LM kick, new chapstick, and some hand warmers. water bottle not shown.

My shelter: a bivy bag, down 20-degree bag, inflatable seat, and Sportsmans/space blanket.

Clothes: UnderArmor baclava, 100-wt fleece pants and top, 1 pr wool socks, mittens, 1 wool hat.
Ziploc'd and in a drybag (with my down bag)

10 Essentials: map missing (on computer currently), compass and PSP not pictured. Several fire steels, AMK heat sheets and bivy, orange scarf, cordage. i'll have a headlamp and flashlight (probably 2), as well as SAK in my pocket.

So, I have 3 days left. Am I missing anything big?
Edit: you can click the pics to get full size views. Don't strain your eyes. I also have my asthma meds with me, but not pictured. As well as a full size and wrist size compass.

Posted by: KenK

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 07:11 PM

The pics aren't showing up on my PC. Maybe its just these silly internet filters they have where I work (sigh).

Ken
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 07:31 PM

I can see the pics okay. Must be filters.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 07:38 PM

Firearm???
Posted by: yelp

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 07:44 PM

Good so far...consider adding another pair of socks, gloves that can fit inside the mittens (heavier than liners, though), a sheath knife suitable for batoning, and a compact folding saw or pocket chainsaw. A billy or cookpot, even if you're not planning on being out for long. Just something to heat water in.

If you have the room, leather gloves or flight gloves - not for insulation, but for working around a fire (wool would be fine if you go that route w/ the mittens).

Somethig to keep in mind is that if a survivor in bush Alaska makes it through the first 24 hours, they're probably going to make it long enough to see SAR, statistically speaking. You've got a good setup.

Just checked weather in Bethel - 17 degrees F with a 28 mph wind...a neck gaiter may be easier to manage than a scarf. In any regard, dress accordingly (like I need to tell a guy in Detroit that).
Posted by: massacre

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 08:34 PM

Nice setup!

I think I'd add the following:
Tinder
Pot or cup for boiling water
Collapsible water carry
Small Saw (since the Kick doesn't have one)
Duct tape (though it appears you might have that?)
water purification

I don't see a whistle, but you mention a PSP, so you seem to have that covered.

Also, it's not pictured that I saw, but I assume you have a small FAK in there...

Looks like fun!

Edit: Oops, I also assume that you will have a dedicated knife, probably sheath vs. folder on you anyway and the Kick is backup. But the firearm (foldable rifle + ammo) is a consideration depending on your situation and trip plans.
Posted by: raptor

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 09:38 PM

It seems like a good kit to me.
I would add already mentioned tinder, spare socks and gloves, maybe some candle.
Sunglasses could come in handy to prevent snow blidness.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 09:47 PM

Spare glasses, comm gear ( cell, charger?) personal meds, little sunscreen,

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/25/09 09:56 PM

Thanks for the thoughts so far guys.

I plan on wearing clothes in addition to this smile So, I'll already have gloves and liners on; the mittens are shells only. I know from this past January that my mittens are great down to about 20 degrees, and the shells worked great down to 5 (the coldest I tested them). Great idea on the leather shell or nomex. I'll hit the Army/Navy tomorrow and see what they have.

The baclava is one of the ones that covers head/neck/face. I'll be packing a scarf in addition to that.

Forgot the sheath knife! D'oh! I'll be carrying a small Mora, and probably my new Brusletto knife too. Been debating buying a small sierra saw, but might break down tomorrow. And I have a SAK already mailed to myself, to pick up when I get there.

FAK..D'oh again! My girlfriend has my small day pack; some stuff is in there. It'll get in there before I leave. Same with the whistle (which I think I added already)

Good call on the cup - I have a 1qt. titanium pot I can toss in there, as well as a collapsible platypus canteen (in addition to my metal one)

Tinder is with the sparklight, I even added 5 more pieces, cut in half. Duct tape is already packed (small red roll in last pic)

I decided against bringing a firearm. I'll be housesitting for most of the time, and if they have a firearm, great. If not, well, I'm boned if I need it. Just too much hassle with TSA, extra baggage charges, carrying it with other bags, etc.

Izzy, the drink packs are First Strike Rations. Got them from Brigade HQ when they offered them for a while. And, like you, I'd really like to see them made public too!
Posted by: big_al

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/26/09 12:07 AM

I agree with Yelp. something to make a cup of somthing hot, even a Esbit stove dosen't weight that much, that it can't be included. Or a pop can stove and alcohol and if you use Ever Clear you will have a after diner drink or more medical supplys smile
Posted by: NAro

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/26/09 12:09 AM

You look well set-up. On my last trip to Alaska, primarily around Denali in the back country... but other places as well.. there was one bit of gear I found essential: mosquito head net! Even the jungle strength DEET was insufficient: they may not have bitten me with all the DEET I had on, but they damn well BATTERED me without mercy. I bought a head net that slipped over my hat; cut a slit for my cigar, and was GTG.

Enjoy your trip.

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/26/09 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: NAro
You look well set-up. On my last trip to Alaska, primarily around Denali in the back country... but other places as well.. there was one bit of gear I found essential: mosquito head net! Even the jungle strength DEET was insufficient: they may not have bitten me with all the DEET I had on, but they damn well BATTERED me without mercy. I bought a head net that slipped over my hat; cut a slit for my cigar, and was GTG.

Enjoy your trip.

Are they out yet? Temps are 15-20... I thought I'd be OK, but if you think it's a good idea, I can toss it in.
Posted by: NAro

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/26/09 04:08 PM

I don't know if they are out yet. When I was in their area, they were WELL out already. You may be o.k. But, they would have ruined my trip! How heavy is the head net anyway? And, you can use it to 1)trap fish 2)disguise yourself in an armed robbery.
Posted by: yelp

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/26/09 07:45 PM

Mosquitoes definitely aren't out yet but *might* be starting to gather strength by the end of April...now that I've jinxed you, go ahead and toss a headnet in your kit. They don't weigh anything and, in addition to other alternate uses already mentioned, they're superior to a t-shirt when used to melt snow in "the water machine," ala Ray Mears.
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/27/09 08:43 PM

I have a question, how did my Kelty backpack end up at your house...?

Looks like you've got a pretty good grip on what you need to me but I've never been to Alaska.

Remind us why you're going up there again?

JohnE

Re: Alaska trip! - 03/28/09 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: JohnE
I have a question, how did my Kelty backpack end up at your house...?

Looks like you've got a pretty good grip on what you need to me but I've never been to Alaska.

Remind us why you're going up there again?

JohnE

Funny thing is, the Kelty backpack was on clearance at REI (like $30), but "women's" size/cut. Whatever, it fits great. Guess I must have birthing hips???

Going to do a rotation for medical school. Lots of classmates went to Africa, India or Latin America. I chose Alaska b/c I've always wanted to go, always wanted to a study-abroad, I don't have to mess with passports and work visas and it's truly "rural" medicine.

In retrospect, I'm sure Guam or Puerto Rico would have counted too - without the associated snow issues!