ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5??

Posted by: Dagny

ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/17/09 11:24 PM

I'm looking forward to this new knife and would like to get it for my brother for his birthday.

Any scoop on when in March it is slated to be available?

http://www.crkt.com/dogfish.html

Have to go to REI to pickup a Ritter pocket survival pack that's waiting there. Spring is in the air, must shop.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/17/09 11:30 PM

More likely to be April at this point. Sorry....
Posted by: Dagny

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/17/09 11:39 PM

Doug -- where all do you expect it to be available in April?

Do you think REI will carry it?

I recall reading that this knife would be more widely available.
Posted by: big_al

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 12:55 AM

I wonder if the new pocket survival pack will be along at the same time?? Saving my milk money.

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: big_al
I wonder if the new pocket survival pack will be along at the same time?? Saving my milk money.

Not until later this year.
Posted by: Warren

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 04:12 AM

While we're talking about arrival times.... What's the ETA on the new light?

Thanks
Warren
Posted by: KenK

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 01:47 PM

The lights are currently available at
http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/flashlights/egear/

I bought a few of them last fall. Nice for their intended use!!

I'm still awaiting word on a lower-cost source for the batteries.

Ken

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
The lights are currently available at
http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/flashlights/egear/

I bought a few of them last fall. Nice for their intended use!!

Ken

Just to be clear, again, these PICO Lites that Mike is selling are from a pre-production run and the production lights will have a number of tweaks, including a better means of loading replacement batteries and a more compact, more robust, and nicer looking clip, as well as a few other very minor changes that will not really be noticeable to most folks. OTOH, these first PICO Lites may be collector's items someday. grin

The production PICO Lites are at least a month away, perhaps two.

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 01:57 PM

Ken

It's in the works and will be announced with distribution of the production PICO Lites.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 04:18 PM

I have one of the pre-production lights, and am quite impressed. I keep checking daily on the mk5...I preordered it, and wait patiently, checking every day!
Posted by: KenK

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 05:50 PM

Where did you pre-order from?
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 06:34 PM

CRKT's site.
Posted by: massacre

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 06:59 PM

Wow... just saw both... Gotta put in some orders. :-)

Looks like great Stuff Doug and your version of the Pico is cheaper than the others I've found! Any thoughts on rolling out your own turned titanium whistle like one of Atwood's? When I finally conjured up the money to buy one of his, he got out of making whistles entirely and I missed out. So it would be nice to see something high quality in a larger production run (which is obviously not what Atwood Knives is about).

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: massacre
Any thoughts on rolling out your own turned titanium whistle like one of Atwood's? When I finally conjured up the money to buy one of his, he got out of making whistles entirely and I missed out. So it would be nice to see something high quality in a larger production run (which is obviously not what Atwood Knives is about).

Unlikely. Just not a big enough market for mass production and no significant practical advantages to use titanium for a whistle beyond the cool factor. There is someone in New Zealand who is working on a run of titanium whistles that should come to market before long, but won't be cheap. Not Atwoood expensive, but not even close to reasonable...for a whistle. grin
Posted by: ironraven

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/18/09 11:12 PM

http://www.batteryjunction.com/en392384siox.html

Energizer silvers, they start at 90 cents, and drop to 60 if you buy more than 10 of them. However...

http://www.batteryjunction.com/onemalrmialb.html

Maxells start at 99 cents but drop to 50 if you order ten or more. So for ten bucks, plus a little shipping, you can get five full sets of spares.

Any cheaper, and you have to whack little old ladies over the head and steal their hearing aids.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/19/09 01:34 AM

Thanks for the info, IronRaven.

...And the visual. grin

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/19/09 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: massacre
Any thoughts on rolling out your own turned titanium whistle like one of Atwood's? When I finally conjured up the money to buy one of his, he got out of making whistles entirely and I missed out. So it would be nice to see something high quality in a larger production run (which is obviously not what Atwood Knives is about).

Unlikely. Just not a big enough market for mass production and no significant practical advantages to use titanium for a whistle beyond the cool factor. There is someone in New Zealand who is working on a run of titanium whistles that should come to market before long, but won't be cheap. Not Atwoood expensive, but not even close to reasonable...for a whistle. grin

Even so, that sounds nice! Hopefully when that happens it gets posted here (*hint* *nudge*) grin . Yeah, the cool factor was about the only reason for titanium, but Atwood stopped making them altogether and the steel ones were gone as well. Maybe the word "cool" shouldn't apply... my friends give me no end of grief for carrying a whistle. Everything else they think is fine. Just not a whistle as it has little practical use to carry every day. :-)
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/22/09 03:18 PM

I actually snagged one of Peter's whistles a couple of weeks ago....for 50bucks. Made my day to find one that cheap.

Re: ETA on Doug's new knife - the RSK Mk5?? - 03/23/09 11:26 PM

You're killing me! grin

Good find. I guess I stick with my titanium finish Columbia - it's really not too shabby and the coating has held up surpassingly well for the cost.