Compact hammock

Posted by: Tom_L

Compact hammock - 03/15/09 11:31 AM

Getting back from a nice trek in the hills I've been thinking about trying to do some more "ultralight" hiking now that it's getting warmer.

My usual setup when sleeping outdoors is my sleeping bag (w/ extra liner if the temperature is below freezing), closed-cell foam pad plus tarp or poncho to make a shelter. For quite a while I've been thinking about getting a hammock, though. It should be light, as compact as possible and strong enough to carry my weight (but I'm a pretty lean guy at 185lbs so that's not a major concern I suppose). Lately, I've done a little research and looks like I can get two types of compact hammocks. One is just the basic nylon net and the other is canvas.

The net-type hammock seems stronger to me an very foolproof. However, I've seen some of the canvas-type hammocks are made with two layers of fabric so you can put a sleeping pad or some other insulation inside. I suppose that would make it warmer and more comfortable but I have never tried it myself.

Does anyone here use a hammock regularly outdoors? Right now I'm pretty much undecided which one to pick (if at all) so I'd appreciate your tips and comments!
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 11:54 AM

I have used hammocks for decades (literally) when in warm and tropical environments. I have had several types. There are some military nylon ones, some with integral mosquito nets, but they tend to be on the large side when you are talking about packing size. My favorite is one my kids gave me one birthday by Eagle's Nest Outfitters. It is a modular system, packs small and is very easy to set up. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

I have used this one and I love it. I have the mosquito net and tarp as well. It is easy to set up with the straps. It tends to be a bit pricey though.

There are some very small, net type hammocks I have used; and they can double as a fishing net if needed. I have not seen them for a number of years and do not know a source for them. The work, but are not as comfortable. If you are sleeping in your clothes, your buttons tend to hang up in the netting.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 12:43 PM

i have tried a few hammocks. Don't use the net models, thing will catch on the net, which is annoying and a great way to loose or damage things.

I also dislike the models which are made of a large piece of fabric, but ends on both ends with strings and a big knot. The strings get tangled up, creating a mess.

Not sure which brand or model i have right now, but it's made of a single piece of nylon fabric, with mosquito netting. The smooth fabric prevents things from catching and there are no strings to mess up. Just the rigging lines.

Never tried a double layered hammock. But i have always find it a challenge to get mine sleepingpad just right...
Posted by: kmat

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 02:45 PM

Tom L,
I have used a couple of different models and have found them to be much more comfortable than the ground. Go to hammmockforums.net and you will find any info on hammocks you will ever need. There are some very helpful members with alot more experience than I that can suggest several choices to pick from. Most UL hikers use a silicone coated ripstop nylon fabric. These are so much lighter than canvas or rope hammocks. I use a double layered fabric and place a closed cell foam pad between them to get more warmth as it reflects heat back to your body. Hope this will help you some.
kmat
Posted by: BigToe

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 03:39 PM

I have a Hennessy Hammock that I've used for years on annual two week section hikes of the AT. Very comfortable, which is why I looked into them. Hammocks sleep cold without the insulation of the ground so you should look into a underquilt. I use an underquilt and overquilt from JRB <http://www.jacksrbetter.com/> - look at their web site and you'll understand. kmat is right, the hammockforums.net web site is a great source for info. Happy hanging!
Posted by: big_al

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 03:42 PM

You might try The sportsmen guide, the have a sale on and have several hammocks on sale. I plan on getting the nylon one for $14.97 by the way you get two at that price, they also have a lot of other gear you might like, and at a price that won't empty your pockets.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=520868

And if you are looking for a good tarp, try this
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=517170

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 03:56 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the great feedback! Should be a lot easier getting a decent hammock now.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
I have used hammocks for decades (literally) when in warm and tropical environments. I have had several types. There are some military nylon ones, some with integral mosquito nets, but they tend to be on the large side when you are talking about packing size. My favorite is one my kids gave me one birthday by Eagle's Nest Outfitters. It is a modular system, packs small and is very easy to set up. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

I have used this one and I love it. I have the mosquito net and tarp as well. It is easy to set up with the straps. It tends to be a bit pricey though.

There are some very small, net type hammocks I have used; and they can double as a fishing net if needed. I have not seen them for a number of years and do not know a source for them. The work, but are not as comfortable. If you are sleeping in your clothes, your buttons tend to hang up in the netting.

+1 on everything above and then some.

When we were on foot, I always enjoyed the "pocket hammock" that could be had in the PX. It did have the problem of hanging on EVERYTHING, but beat sleeping on the ground. When we had our vehicles, I had one of the old issue jungle hammocks with the roof and netting. Great thing about it was the ability to use it as a one man tent on the ground also.

Posted by: comms

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 05:32 PM

+1 on Eagles nest outfitters.

I have used one for a couple years. Highly recommend the slap straps. A must have. difference between great and kind of a pain. But
i'd recommend the straps for any hammock you buy.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Compact hammock - 03/15/09 07:01 PM

Tom_L wrote:
>"I've been thinking about trying to do some more "ultralight" >hiking now that it's getting warmer.
>My usual setup when sleeping outdoors is my sleeping bag (w/ >extra liner if the temperature is below freezing), closed-cell >foam pad plus tarp or poncho to make a shelter."

How does adding a hammock to the weight help him go ultralight?

The Sock
Posted by: elgecko

Re: Compact hammock - 03/16/09 12:27 AM

I have not used my Hennessy Hammock yet, but this is the hammock I got after doing some research on them.

BigToe,
Thanks for the link on the underquilt. Not sure I would need it, but if I ever do some colder camping I'll have the link.

Re: Compact hammock - 03/16/09 11:09 AM

Quote:
How does adding a hammock to the weight help him go ultralight?

I'm not an orthodox ultralight hiker, I've just been experimenting a little streamlining all my gear down to bare essentials.

The idea behind getting a hammock is that I could make a much simpler shelter in the warm months (no need to build a lean-to). I might be able to get away with a lighter sleeping bag and no pad. If I don't have to build a shelter I might even feel confident enough to leave the axe behind. So I could definitely save some weight and more importantly, reduce the time and effort needed to prepare the camp site.
Posted by: billvann

Re: Compact hammock - 03/16/09 03:16 PM

I've been tempted to get a Hennessy for years and insulation has always been a concern as I tend to sleep on the cold side. Which model quilt do you use? Also, do you use a pad? I have a Big Agnus inflatable insulated pad (mummy) I would consider using that even if I didn't inflate it. I would definately use it inflated if I would have to set up on the ground using my trekking poles (turns the hammock int a bivvy of sorts).

Re: Compact hammock - 03/16/09 03:34 PM

I have heard good things about Hennessy. I think really (and this is just MHO) but Hennessy and Eagle Nest seem to be the industry leaders.

I think its sort of a Coke/Pepsi issue. Both have pretty strong packages for people to chose from.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Compact hammock - 03/16/09 04:04 PM

HH makes an under pad for theirs. I have used it, but never in the colder months. The warmer months arent an issue. I plan on trying out just a normal CCF pad this spring, and see how comfy it is.
As for the HH itself; this is a great product. A lot of people get these, then move on to other hammocks, mostly made by small manufacturers. But, with an HH, you can NOT go wrong. I also have a DD hammock, which is used soley in my jeep; its not near as comfortable, and I cannot seem to sleep flat on it. But, in a pinch, it beat sleeping on the ground. The HH however I sleep flat in, no need for a pillow even. The tarp it came with originally has been replaced, and I had some modifications done to it (mainly, had a zipper installed on one side, to make it a side entry system), but, these are asthetics only. I never had an issue with rain with the original fly; I just liked having additional room to cook, and to keep gear dry.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Compact hammock - 03/17/09 09:09 AM

Tom_L wrote:

>The idea behind getting a hammock is that I could make a much >simpler shelter in the warm months (no need to build a lean->to). I might be able to get away with a lighter sleeping bag >and no pad.

So a hammock is warmer than sleeping on the ground?

The Sock

Re: Compact hammock - 03/17/09 03:21 PM

Warmer....I am not sure, Sock. I think the combination of a pad, sleeping bag and tent would provide more warmth than a hammock like my Eagle Nest Outfitter (ENO) just strung between two trees. The colder air would flow under you. I have slept in my ENO in a 40* bag, no pad under in 40* temps and been okay, while everyone else slept in a tent.

There are some draw backs to hammocks, namely finding to 'poles' to connect it too. I have got many a laugh from my friends on road trips trying to find a place to string my ENO up.

I carry both a thin 3/4 pad and my ENO. If I can't string it up, I am not stuck sleeping on the ground without some padding.

While I really like my ENO hammock I am a side sleeper. So occasionally its really hard for me to be comfortable and fall asleep on my back.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Compact hammock - 03/17/09 09:49 PM

Hammocks themselves certainly arent warmer, per se, than a tent, at first glance. It comes down to the insulation underneath you-without some form of insulation, wind steals your heat. There ARE solutions to this; underblankets, proprietary solutions (such as the HH pad), or you can use a regular pad inside it (I have heard mixed results on this, but have no first hand experience yet). Also, its easier to use a quilt, blanket, or open a sleeping bag fully, in a hammock, than it is to squirm into a sleeping bag.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Compact hammock - 03/18/09 12:36 AM

I want one of these: HERE
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Compact hammock - 03/18/09 01:39 AM

I promise you this, If it gets cool at night, you will know about it faster in a hammock than in a tent.

360 deg. insulation is a must, or one will awaken to cold biscuits in the morning.
Posted by: Steve

Re: Compact hammock - 03/19/09 11:55 PM

There is a lot of info on the web from a lot of dedicated hammock campers. Ditto on HammockForums, it's great. Also, Just Jeff's Hammock Camping Page is the best general introduction I've found, very readable, with lots of links. There are also a number of threads on ETS.

I have a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight and like it a lot. I got the undercover/underpad, which I need whenever it is even slightly cool. Hammocks are definitely cooler than ground camping, which is fine when it is hot and muggy, but worse the rest of the time. A slight breeze comes and I instantly feel my bubble of warmth float away. I'm saving my money for an overcover and an underquilt/overquilt setup, I hear that is the most comfortable approach.

It is a good idea to have a backup plan in case you get too cold and have to hit the ground, such as a closed-cell-pad. And I would not plan to use a hammock in any weather in which I have not already tried it out in my back yard. I'm a relative newbie but have the bug bad.

Overall, I'd say hammock camping is not so much better or worse than ground camping, as it is different. Different benefits, different disadvantages.

Steve
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Compact hammock - 03/20/09 04:47 PM

The idea of a hammock is to stay up out of the water and bugs in a tropical environment. It is COOLER than a tent or sleeping on the ground, because of the air flow. It can be easier to set up, depending on the hammock. In rain you will still need a shelter. For people who spend a lot of time in hot, humid and buggy (redundant) environments it is a must for health and well being.