EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements

Posted by: KenK

EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/08/09 09:51 PM

I EDC a small bit of gear that rides on a ke chain in my left pants pocket: a Fox40 whistle that is filed down a bit, a BSA Hot Spark ferriconium rod and striker, and an Arc Premium AAA LED light.

Last week I reached into that pocket only to find a terrible void - the keychain wasn't there. Argh!!!

I've retraced my steps and looked everywhere I can think of, but nothing. Sigh.

So now I'm having to replace it. Here's what I'm looking at:

--Fox40 Micro whistle - the one that comes in Doug's PSP kit - mostly because it is a more pocket-friendly shape.

--Light My Fire Mini Swedish FireSteel - its bigger than the Hot Spark, but I think I'd rather have a slightly bigger ferriconium rod. Not sure if I'll carry the striker. I'll test to see if a key can do OK ... I kind of doubt it since they tend to be softer metal.

--Now, for the Arc replacement. This is a hard one. I have a Fenix P1D (CR123-powered, max 180 lumens) LED light that is AMAZING - I carry it when outdoors as a backup to my PT EOS headlamp. It is amazingly bright and tough, but a bit large for pocket carry. So, I'm looking at getting a Fenix E01 (AAA-powered, 10 lumens) because its small and low-cost (only $14, but the same brightness as the Arc Premium). I'd rather carry a Fenix LD01 (80 lumens), but right now I don't want to spend the $42 - mabye later if the economy improves. The flashlight got the most use, so it is an important part of the gear.

--Suunto Gem keychain compass. I picked one of these up a while back, but never carried it. I especially like that it has a flat side for orienting maps and that it has a rotating bezel. I wonder how the compass will handle living with the flashlight and striker (cool fact: ferriconium is not magnetic).

--CountyComm.com Peanut lighter - or maybe the smaller Split Pea lighter. These are small cousins of Zippo lighters that look like small stainless steel o-ring sealed capsules that contain a Zippo-style lighter. Its redundant to the FireSteel, but I figure if things go south, I'd much rather be starting a fire with a lighter than a sparker. The reason I'm looking at this instead of a mini BIC lighter is that the Peanut/Split Pea lighters can be attached to the key chain.

--Since I'm going to order from CountyComm.com anywhay, I think I'll try using one of their cable keychains.

So, what do you thing? Remember, this has to fit in a pant's pocket and not look like a kid who just raided the cookie jar.
Posted by: mike_m

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/08/09 11:44 PM

I carry the E01 and it is small enough to not really be noticed. I also find it plenty bright enough to use for every day tasks that may require a little extra light.
Posted by: raptor

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 12:14 AM

I think your selection is very good.
I reccomend the E01, itīs not a "lighthouse" but 10 lumens is enough for many tasks. You can always get LD01 in the future and have E01 as an emergency backup (E01 is very good when it comes to a long runtime).

I would find a way to somehow include some kind of tinder in your EDC. Maybe add some lightweight Tinder-Quicks or something similar to your wallet or pocket or encase it and attach it to your keychain. There are conditions where FireSteel without tinder is useless. I would rather carry the striker than improvizing with some key etc. Just my suggestion.

By the way, did you have your keychain secured so that it could not fall out from your pocket? If not I would recommend getting some kind of belt attachment system.
Posted by: Andy

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 03:30 AM

The Fenix is a good choice but I also found a Ultrafire 1 AAA led light that fits in my BladeArt Mission Wallet. It appears to be brighter than the Fenix. I carry a spare AAA battery on the keychain. I used the plastic cover for a 75 ohm cable TV connector, a fishing swivel and some shrink wrap.

Cut a slit in the top of the cover just big enough to slip the closed end of the swivel thru the cover, rotate the end of swivel perpendicular to the slit. Friction holds it in fine. Shove the + end of battery inside the cover and seal a piece of shrink wrap around the battery and cover, this keeps everything safe and secure. You will want to shave the lip of the cover a bit.

I use the aircraft cable keyrings from CC. I cut a piece of 550 cord a little longer than the cable, stripped out the inner strands and heat sealed each end. I slid the cable thru the sheath. Makes the cable a little quieter and less abrasive on your fingers and gear. Use orange 550 to make it easier find. I also use electrical tape or shrink wrap on the items to quiet them and reduce the scratching of the paint/finish.

American Science and Surplus sells small pill fobs with a swivel and O rings that should enough tinder.

The CC titanium screw post carabiners are nice too. The peanut lighters seem to not to dry out much because of their O rings.

I find that putting fishing swivels, the kind with snaps, on the keychain items, makes things easier to take things off and keeps things from unscrewing themselves, like the ends of flashlghts.
Posted by: Rusty

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 03:31 AM

I have been using one of CountyComm's cable key chains for my keys for about a year now. It has served its purpose well. However just a week ago one of the many many tiny metal wires that make up the cable broke and poked my finger...I simply bent it back down into the main part of the cable.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my County Comm cable keychain despite the minor problem.

Good luck in building a new keychain "toolkit"!
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: raptor

I would find a way to somehow include some kind of tinder in your EDC. Maybe add some lightweight Tinder-Quicks or something similar to your wallet or pocket or encase it and attach it to your keychain. There are conditions where FireSteel without tinder is useless. I would rather carry the striker than improvizing with some key etc. Just my suggestion.

What do you think about a braid of jute attached to the keychain for tinder?
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 11:49 AM

I carry one of those peanut lighters, and have for a couple years now. Its main use is melting cord ends; its attached to my keychain though, and never gets lost (of course, now that I have said this, I cursed myself). I have a photon light on it as well, with a paracord fob. Thats about it.
Another place to check for small ferro rods, without a grip. They have a variety of sizes of them to choose from.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 12:26 PM

IME a cotton ball partly soaked in wax makes more effective tinder. Break it apart, apply your ferro rod so that the sparks fall on the exposed cotton fibers and you have a small fire burning instantly. Better yet, thanks to the layer of wax it won't burn out too quickly like dry tinder alone but gives you some more time to ignite the kindling.
Posted by: CAP613

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 01:21 PM

Do you carry hand sanitizer ? I found that a little on a piece of cotton makes a great fire starter.
Posted by: Lono

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I EDC a small bit of gear that rides on a ke chain in my left pants pocket: ...
Last week I reached into that pocket only to find a terrible void - the keychain wasn't there. Argh!!!

If your pants pocket doesn't have a clip to attach your key chain, you can pull out the pocket and sew one on. Mountain Gear pants have this and I'm sure its saved me from losing EDC contents more than once (they also have a zippered sub-pocket on the right in side pocket that works really well).
Posted by: Rodion

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 05:26 PM

^ Either that, or attach an external pocket clip to your keychain.

It's a real shame when you lose your EDC. frown

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
What do you think about a braid of jute attached to the keychain for tinder?

Sorry Mike, I donīt know. I havenīt had opportunity to test a juta yet. I think that any tinder carried on your keychain should be waterproof (or at least sealed), should easily catch sparks and turn them into the flame; should burn long enough and should not be toxic/dangerous. At least these are my personal requirements that a tinder has to meet before it is carried on my keychain or elswhere.
I have been carying two AMK Tinder-Quicks (when in the city) closed in a small plastic reclosable zip bag (in my pocket). When I go trail running to the forest or hiking etc. I carry one Tinder-Quick and several small cubes of high melting point wax. It depends on the weather and circumstances but wherever I go (except for the swimming pool smile ) I carry at least two AMK Tinder-Quicks along with my ferrocerium fire starter.
I will have to find a way how to attach my tinder to the keychain carabiner. Maybe I will have to look for some kind of lighweight capsule.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 09:29 PM

I like the gear. To avoid the bulk in the pocket, I'd carry it in a cell phone pouch on my belt. Quiet, secure and looks normal.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/09/09 11:47 PM

You may want to look at the smallest version of the Light my Fire as sold here. I don't know how it relates to the BSA equipment in size. I use this one on a micro carabiner secured to my EDC day pack.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...arting_kit.html
Posted by: KenK

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/10/09 02:09 AM

That's exactly the one I'm considering - the "mini". It might be a lot begger than the Hot Spark. I wish those selling them would publish the dimensions of the rod and the overall dimensions (kudos to Doug for giving so many stats on his knives). Has anyone tried using keys to fire-off ferro rods?

No, I didn't have the keychain attached to anything. I'm still hoping to find it somewhere in the house, but so far that hasn't happened. I'm mostly sad about the Arc light - its been with me a long time. I've tried looping small lengths of paracord to a belt or belt loop, but it gets really irritating when reaching into the pocket. I also don't want to look like a janitor w/ keys hanging out (nothing against janitors ... that's how I earned money in high school & parts of college).

Good point on the tinder. Maybe I should try the stuff-cotton-in-a-straw technique, though I wouldn't think the straws would be tough enough to survive pocket-trauma. If worse comes to worse I figure I can use some bits of cotton clothing smeared w/ lip balm (I usually carry lip balm in a pocket.

Ken

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/10/09 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I've tried looping small lengths of paracord to a belt or belt loop, but it gets really irritating when reaching into the pocket. I also don't want to look like a janitor w/ keys hanging out.Ken

Well, I use a system where nothing is hanging out at all. Not irritating when reaching into the pocket either. This is photographed without my EDC. When itīs attached to the belt everything including 90 % of the carabiner is hidden inside the pocket. Itīs not noticeable or bulky, nothing is hanging out and my EDC gear is secured - I can run with it etc. Actually I use this system for trail running and everything. No problem so far.

Maxpedition Keyper + Simond Chamonix Micral carabiner:
Posted by: scafool

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/10/09 05:31 AM

I understand about losing your keys and everything with them.
It has happened to me enough times that I have spare house and car keys in my wallet. ( a spare key is astonishingly useful when you lock your keys inside the car in the ignition)

Your choices are good.

I tend to be more into distributed carry though.
I have everything listed, but not all in one pocket.
(and I still have to deal with the "kid robbing a cookie jar" look)

One thing I am blessed with is living in a climate where having a jacket is normal even if you are not actually wearing it at the time, even during the summer.
This gives a set of extra pockets and in my case some zippers that I can attach zipper pull items to.(like the compass)

The big one, as you say, is the light. for me that is not so bad, especially in town.
The cheapest and smallest LED that can hang off a zipper or get lost in a pocket. The only problem is to make sure it can not be turned on by accident and go dead on you.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/11/09 12:23 AM

The ferro rod is 1.5" x 5/32" dia. (Exposed portion) It looks like it extends 3/16" into the handle.

The handle is 1.5" x 3/4" x 5/16".

I've carved off a bit of the rod already. I use the lockback indent on my Spyderco Salt I to spark it but I think the supplier sparker works better. But a jig saw or shortened hack saw blade works REALLY well.

This picture will give you some perspective - compared to the Scout version and to a magnesium block. Excuse the bad focus, my macro was having problems that day.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1021/929582581_b4ea197ca3_b.jpg

I googled the bsa hot spark - it looks to be about the same size, maybe slightly shorter ferro rod.

Hoods Woods has a smaller 1/8" x 2" rod sold in singles and 5 paks.
http://survival.instantestore.net/pd_mini.cfm
Posted by: massacre

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/20/09 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: raptor
Well, I use a system where nothing is hanging out at all. Not irritating when reaching into the pocket either. This is photographed without my EDC. When itīs attached to the belt everything including 90 % of the carabiner is hidden inside the pocket. Itīs not noticeable or bulky, nothing is hanging out and my EDC gear is secured - I can run with it etc. Actually I use this system for trail running and everything. No problem so far.

Maxpedition Keyper + Simond Chamonix Micral carabiner:

I'm really digging this rig raptor. Going to have to get this... smile

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/20/09 08:52 PM

Great, thanks smile. I will take more photos (with EDC gear etc.) very soon. (I am waiting for a daylight).

Re: EDC Gear Missing - Need Replacements - 03/21/09 07:40 PM

Here are the promised photos of my pocket EDC system. (Itīs not a gallery of my EDC, not all gear is photographed like knife, cell phone, ...).

When carried, the gear and most of the carabiner is hidden inside the pocket, nothing is hanging out:
(higher resolution)

With my EDC gear:
(higher resolution)

This is the minimal amount of tinder I carry: