Spanish trawler rescued by Canadian Coast Guard

Posted by: Roarmeister

Spanish trawler rescued by Canadian Coast Guard - 02/23/09 11:21 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2009/02/23/trawler-rescue.html
Speaking earlier with reporters in St. John's, Capt. Derek LeRiche said luck played a role in the rescue of the fishermen, as the Cowley was in the area waiting to carry out a routine inspection of the Monte Galineiro.

Some of the fishermen had enough time to don survival suits, but others did not. LeRiche said one fisherman was wearing only underwear when he was rescued.

Some of the crew of the Cowley, he said, donated their clothes to the rescued men. "I don't know if they got it back or not," LeRiche joked.

Blanco and Ehun said the crew has been grateful for the assistance they have received from the coast guard, the Canadian Red Cross and citizens of St. John's who have volunteered assistance.

--
I say it was lucky the Coast Guard vessel was "in the neighbourhood" monitoring whether the Spanish trawler was illegally fishing.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Spanish trawler rescued by Canadian Coast Guard - 02/24/09 04:21 PM

I'll bet they were glad to see St.John's, instead of St.Peter's...
Posted by: Andrew_S

Re: Spanish trawler rescued by Canadian Coast Guard - 02/24/09 05:52 PM

You know things are desperate when you're glad to see St. John's.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Spanish trawler rescued by Canadian Coast Guard - 02/24/09 06:41 PM

Yeah, I watched that on the news yesterday. It went down fast and sort of capsized as it did.
I agree with the comment that they were lucky to get picked up so soon.