Better lucky than prepared...

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Better lucky than prepared... - 02/09/09 02:45 AM

Mountain climber saved after cigarette lighter flame is spotted eight miles away...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4...miles-away.html
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Better lucky than prepared... - 02/09/09 02:48 AM

Proving once again that those old crusty sergeants were telling the truth when they said not to smoke at night!
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Better lucky than prepared... - 02/09/09 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Proving once again that those old crusty sergeants were telling the truth when they said not to smoke at night!

You would be absolutely shocked how far off the coal of a cigarette can be seen through both NVG's and FLIR. I bet the flame from a lighter must have looked like a spotlight in today's newest NVG's.

And sarge was right, cigarettes can be deadly in more ways than one.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Better lucky than prepared... - 02/09/09 03:04 AM

And just think, if he'd had a small but usable strobe or a really bright flashlight or headlamp, he'd have been seen from further away. smile
Posted by: Susan

Re: Better lucky than prepared... - 02/09/09 06:25 PM

At least he was carrying something to start a fire with! Nothing to burn, but at least he was carrying.

But luck can be good or bad, as evidenced by the body they found 30 yards away. Lady Luck was smiling... this time.

Sue
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Better lucky than prepared... - 02/09/09 10:50 PM

Two things; first, that area seems to me like the Bermuda triangle...a place I'd CERTAINLY be staying away from! Second, a favorite quote of mine: "Luck favors the prepared man".
Posted by: technician

Re: Better lucky than prepared... - 02/22/09 08:26 PM

I'd still rather be lucky AND prepared.