Are you REALLY prepared

Posted by: KG2V

Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 06:30 PM

Hi Gang,
You might have noticed that I haven't been around for a bit over 2 weeks. The short story - on the morning of Jan 5, I went to the hospital with incredible pain in my abdomen - it had started a couple of days before as pain around the back, just like a kidney stone, and I had an appointment with a Urologist for the afternoon of 1/5 - I never made that apointment

Turns out I had Pancratitus secondary to hypertriglyceredemia

Big words for my triglyceride levels went crazy, and messed up my pancreus

I'm doing somewhat OK, but the incident turned me into a type 1 diabetic (oh joy)

Thing is - my wife got a phone call from sprint, and she could not access my account because she didn't have the password - it was a work account billed to me, then the company pays back - never thought of writing down that PIN for her

How about all your bank accounts - does your next of kin know where to find everything? All the Passwords? Etc? Do they know online friends who should be contacted?

The was a short period of time where the MDs were really worried - the blood chemistry changes were messing with my heart

I'm back at home (have not yet gone back to work - don't feel up to it yet)

I can think of better ways to spend 14 days than in the hospital

BTW, when you MD sends you for a blood test in late November and he says "the results are all wierd, like you didn't fast" - when he says "we'll redo the test when you see me right after Christmas" - don't wait - have the test redone. I got the script to do the test Christmas week, and was going to go to the lab on the 9th

And a 2nd "your joking" - they are worried about my blood chemistry - so they are drawing labs ever 4 hours - 3 tubes of blood each time. Then after like 4 days of this (and being NPO) they say "we're a bit worried - your hemoglobin is going down" - my reply - I was NPO for 3 days, you put me on clear liquids today - you've taken 3oz/blood every 4 hours for 4 days - don't you think the hemoglobin will go down?
Posted by: comms

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 06:40 PM

hey man, tough road you've been on this year.

Great topic, though its unfortunate to came to think of it based on what you just went through.

For me, I don't think my wife knows every place I have money or information, and vice versa, but we are pretty open and co-sign things together.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 07:10 PM

Great point. I do all the finances for the house. I had actually created a file for my wife that includes all the information for the accounts that I manage.

God forbid something happens to me, but she will be able to access everything...
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 07:50 PM

I am glad to hear that you are recovering. Yes, your absence had been noticed by a few of us and we were "hoping" that a medical problem was what you were dealing with.

The issue of accounts has come up back in October when my DW had surgery. She showed me where the account info is written down.

May God help me if anything happens to that wonderful lady that I am blessed to be able to refer to as my "DW"!!!!!!
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 08:04 PM

KG2V, Glad to hear you're recovering from the problem. Hope you will be able to return to work soon. If I were you, I'd consider changing physicians. Sounds to me like this guy isn't thinking straight. If they noticed abnormal blood values in November and chose not to address the issue until late December something in his thought process is skewed. Maybe it's just me, but, I am used to aggressive doctors who would have immediately investigated the first findings. Bset wishes for a speedy recovery. smile
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 10:18 PM

Suddenly my MRSA scare pales in comparison. Glad to hear everything is "better?".

Take a look at the pump for long term. I have heard it called the "smart pump". I guess it takes a lot of the work load off of the user.

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 11:21 PM

Yeah - this is the 2nd time he did something that messed me up - I think it's that he's not agressive because of my weight
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 11:34 PM

What the H@%* does your weight have to do with it?? Sounds like you need a doctor and a lawyer.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rescueguru
What the H@%* does your weight have to do with it?? Sounds like you need a doctor and a lawyer.

Weight or wait??????

As in he asked you to wait and it caused a problem.

If it is because of your weight, and you are heavy like me, might I suggest falling on him. Then getting a doctor and a lawyer as suggested above.

Last time one of my son's friends made a weight comment, I introduced him to pain and compliance and then sat on him.

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/21/09 11:55 PM

I sometimes think he takes a wait and see - and is nit agressive, becuse of my weight - not sure, not proveable

Basically, my Nov blood test looked exactly like I had not fasted, so he blew it off - I saw him Dec 23rd, and had the new order for the blood test, and I was going to get there Sat, what, the 9th, based upon my schedule

I'm researching new MDs as we speak
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 01:34 AM

Charlie - sorry to hear about all the health problems you've been having. I'm pulling for you.

Dave
Posted by: Blast

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 01:37 AM

Dang KG2V, I'm the one who is supposed to take all the hits for this team! Sorry to hear you got knocked down like that. 14 days in the hospital?! Good thing the zombies didn't appear.

Heal fast, friend.

-Blast
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 02:25 AM

Wow and yikes!!! This makes my son's December spontaneous pneumothorax (spontaneous collapsed lung) look like a walk inthe park. IzzyJG99, in case you are going to ask, he fits the "profile": tall, young and thin. I didn't know this was not uncommon. You learn something new everyday.

My wife and I have access to all our accounts.

KG2V did you just get your amateur license upgraded?

Anyway KG2V hope everything works out. Good to have you back.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 03:13 AM

Glad you're doing OK. I have to wonder though, what made your triglycerides so high...

I'm going to take a slightly different look on things here. First, I would think that your TG's would have to be high for a while before causing pancreatitis. So, my first thought is have you been getting yearly blood draws? If you have, please let me know, cuz if nothing else it'll give me something to research - I ask in the name of further education only!

Second, unfortunate as it is, sometimes waiting is the RIGHT thing to do. Many things can cause "abnormal" blood tests, and sometimes they do fix themselves. Professional guidelines sometimes take a "wait and see" approach. If you ever go for a lawyer, you'll have to prove he was acting in a manner that's not in compliance with standard medical practices.

Third, just to clarify what you wrote. I'm assuming that the blood tests are done at a lab, not the doctor's office? You saw him in Nov and had abnormal tests. Then you saw him on Dec 23, but didn't get the blood work planned til Jan 9... why the 3-week wait on your part? Really, if you're complaining that he's waiting and yet you're waiting too... it just seems like you're not helping yourself there.

Last, if you want a new doc, more power to you. Despite what happened, and where the ball was dropped, you should feel comfortable with your doc, and have the right to someone that treats you as you want to be treated. That goes for everyone on the board. If you don't like his vacation schedule, change docs. Just realize that lots of docs do put in 12+ hour days, and deserve a break just like everyone else (and lots of them have kids, with standard school breaks, just like everyone else)
Posted by: yeti

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 03:21 AM

Sorry about your plight. I wish you a speedy recovery.

You made a bit of lemonade by bringing the example here and showing the need for roadmaps to records, financial, etc. We all have good intentions about doing stuff like that but usually end up putting it off until we forget.

Also a good story since I really don't have a doc and should probably look at establishing one. I did go to one about 5-6 years ago but he's no longer there. I've been very lucky up to now though.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 12:32 PM

Most sorry to hear about your illness; very happy that you are on the road to recovery.

+1 on changing doc's, even if only to get another set of eyes on the same issues. I have been surprised on the different approaches used by different doctors in treating my diabetes, e.g., do a little or be very aggressive.

+1 on having all of the financial info, passwords, etc. in a common (secure) place; DW and I share a common calendar when things have to be paid, know all the login's, accounts etc.

One thing that I always encourage is for husband and wife to have all of the necessary medical/legal documents for each other in place and ready to go; things such as powers of attorney and advance directives etc. I know this and advocate it and was caught short this summer when DW was taken to the emergency room in very bad shape, the the ER folks wanted to see the documents, and put copies in her hospital file! Who knew I had to take them with me on the ride to the emergency room? Everything turned out ok, but it was a scare and a lesson learned.

Best of luck

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Wow and yikes!!! This makes my son's December spontaneous pneumothorax (spontaneous collapsed lung) look like a walk inthe park. IzzyJG99, in case you are going to ask, he fits the "profile": tall, young and thin. I didn't know this was not uncommon. You learn something new everyday.

My wife and I have access to all our accounts.

KG2V did you just get your amateur license upgraded?

Anyway KG2V hope everything works out. Good to have you back.

I upgraded the call a few years back, but after I joined - figured it was finally time to upgrade the forum name

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Glad you're doing OK. I have to wonder though, what made your triglycerides so high...

I'm going to take a slightly different look on things here. First, I would think that your TG's would have to be high for a while before causing pancreatitis. So, my first thought is have you been getting yearly blood draws? If you have, please let me know, cuz if nothing else it'll give me something to research - I ask in the name of further education only!

Second, unfortunate as it is, sometimes waiting is the RIGHT thing to do. Many things can cause "abnormal" blood tests, and sometimes they do fix themselves. Professional guidelines sometimes take a "wait and see" approach. If you ever go for a lawyer, you'll have to prove he was acting in a manner that's not in compliance with standard medical practices.

Third, just to clarify what you wrote. I'm assuming that the blood tests are done at a lab, not the doctor's office? You saw him in Nov and had abnormal tests. Then you saw him on Dec 23, but didn't get the blood work planned til Jan 9... why the 3-week wait on your part? Really, if you're complaining that he's waiting and yet you're waiting too... it just seems like you're not helping yourself there.

Last, if you want a new doc, more power to you. Despite what happened, and where the ball was dropped, you should feel comfortable with your doc, and have the right to someone that treats you as you want to be treated. That goes for everyone on the board. If you don't like his vacation schedule, change docs. Just realize that lots of docs do put in 12+ hour days, and deserve a break just like everyone else (and lots of them have kids, with standard school breaks, just like everyone else)

I've had high triglycerides for years - but who knows what made them go nuts

And yes, I thought waiting was the right thing to do, too

As for seeing him Dec 23rd , adn a wait till Jan 9 - First - neither of us thought it was urgent - 2nd, look at the weekend days (pretty much the only times I could go for a draw) - could not get in on the 3rd, and was hoping to be away on the 27th

I'm more looking for a new MD because my guy is NOT an endochronologist, plus I came to realize an issue I discounted is actually a big factor. Where I live, there are 2 hospitals west of us, and 2 east

The reputations of the 2 that are west of us are (depending on which) "a madhouse, where you will wait 8-10 hours to be seen" and "if you find yourself dieing in front of the place, crawl the mile to the madhouse" (Unfortunately, the 2nd is where EMS would probably take me if transported by ambulance - Mom ended up there a couple of years back - she needed a cat scan - they had to transport her to a different hospital to do it - they don't have one)

The 2 hospitals EAST of me have a rep for 1)Great MDs, Great Care, one is know to have a busier ER (but they are in the process of doubling the size of that)

The problem is, that no one in the partnership my MD is at is a member at either of the hospitals east of me, but do work at both the hospitals WEST of me.

Posted by: MDinana

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe

I've had high triglycerides for years - but who knows what made them go nuts

And yes, I thought waiting was the right thing to do, too

As for seeing him Dec 23rd , adn a wait till Jan 9 - First - neither of us thought it was urgent - 2nd, look at the weekend days (pretty much the only times I could go for a draw) - could not get in on the 3rd, and was hoping to be away on the 27th

I'm more looking for a new MD because my guy is NOT an endochronologist, plus I came to realize an issue I discounted is actually a big factor. Where I live, there are 2 hospitals west of us, and 2 east

The reputations of the 2 that are west of us are (depending on which) "a madhouse, where you will wait 8-10 hours to be seen" and "if you find yourself dieing in front of the place, crawl the mile to the madhouse" (Unfortunately, the 2nd is where EMS would probably take me if transported by ambulance - Mom ended up there a couple of years back - she needed a cat scan - they had to transport her to a different hospital to do it - they don't have one)

The 2 hospitals EAST of me have a rep for 1)Great MDs, Great Care, one is know to have a busier ER (but they are in the process of doubling the size of that)

The problem is, that no one in the partnership my MD is at is a member at either of the hospitals east of me, but do work at both the hospitals WEST of me.

First, thanks for not taking what I wrote in a hostile manner - I was at work yesterday, and may have been a bit curt, sorry if I was.

It's funny, that normally "high triglycerides" don't do *too much* long term, as opposed to cholesterol. But, yeah, when they hit... something else to consider is what medications you're on. Also, alcohol use is the #1 cause of acute pancreatitis in the US. I'm not saying you're a drinker, but rather, if you do drink (in any amount), you might want to bring up the risk/benefit ration once you get in and see an endocrinologist (for example, if you drink a glass of red wine nightly). Bravo, BTW, for getting the correct doc to manage you most appropriately. For such a "simple" disease, it's amazingly difficult for lots of docs to manage diabetes (or Coumadin, for those of you on it).

I can understand the difficulties of outpatient management. But if you've also had high TGs for years, I can also understand why the doc (and you) wouldn't be really worried at the time. Unfortunately, in hindsight.

One last bit of advice, or maybe a better term, a suggestion. Figure out why those hospitals are "mad houses." The main hospital I work at has a kind of crummy rep, but lots of it is due to the nursing and associated staff. The docs actually do a fairly good job of trying to work, but get hamstring by lazy personnel (I say, with quite a bit of truth, that the only time the nurses move fast is when they're late to clock in). Is it bad because you're not seen for 6 hours, but really those folks waiting that long aren't that sick? Is it just a bunch of pretensious folks that expect immediate attention, and when they don't get it, just whine up a storm? There's lots of reasons for a bad rep, and not all of them reflect poor care. Anyway, just food for thought.

In the end, it's about finding a doc you trust and find competent. Good luck!
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 05:04 PM

Pancreatitis is no joke. I was in ICU for two weeks in the mid 90s for the same reason or at least that was the initial reason that started the number of reasons why it all went wrong.

I was misdiagnosed when I went to the doctor at first. He sent me home with pain relievers thinking that the previous days workout had strained a muscle.

Worst two weeks of my life. I had just returned home from college, and was staying with family, so the only thing I had to worry about was getting well.

Back to the subject at hand...
Now days a couple of my family members have flash drives that I gave them. On it they can access an encrypted and hidden file with important information on it.

They can view some of my favorite pieces of art that I placed on the stick as well. LOL

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 05:18 PM

The Madhouse hospital is the way it is frankly, because the neighborhood population has increased by about 35% over the last 20 years, many (most) are new immigrants who don't speak English or Spanish (Mostly Mandarin, some Cantonese), and the facility has not been enlarged. There was just a trade of some parkland there, so some nearby parkland, so they are planning on more than doubling the bedspace (and less than 10 miles away, we are shutting two hospitals due to lack of use)

The other hospital west of me is not a mad house, and should in theory pull a lot of the same people. People won't go there

I said one of the 2 hospitals east is a madhouse - I have to sort of amend that - once you are IN the hospital, it's VERY good, but their ER is a zoo, and they know it. They are in the middle of trippling the size of the ER. It's part of the same "system" (ownership) as the other hospital East of me (that I went to), it's just that one got it's ER upgrade before the other.

Oh, and when I say "ER as a madhouse" - I was there one night (taking Dad) - There was a kid, laying on the floor, in agony (turned out to be an apenndix) - he was not triaged for 4 hours - Not "Not seen" - the triage line for pediatric was 4+ hours long

As for drinking - I was the subject of Grand Rounds TWICE, because as the MD said "The three main causes of acute pancreatitis are alchoholism, alchoholism, alchoholism" (and I learned about "I get smashed") - thing is, they could tell that that wasn't it. Other than cooking wine, I'm such a heavy drinker that the bottle of rum I bought 20 years ago when I got married is still > 1/2 full - Basically I average 2-3 drinks (usually a glass of wine) per YEAR
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 05:44 PM

I was in a teaching hospital when I was suffering from Pancreatitis I can't tell you how many times I answered one doctor or another with, "No, I'm not a drinker."

I became somewhat annoyed by the question, but worse than that was the "Sternum Wake Up". Where they wake you up by prodding and rubbing your sternum. Man, I wanted to deck a doc or two after a few weeks of that. Then there was the infected central line, but that's another story.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Are you REALLY prepared - 01/22/09 05:51 PM

My triglyceride levels have been so high they are unreadable for the past 6 years. I guess I should be dead by now. Maybe the big ribeye I plan on broiling for dinner tonight will finally push me over the edge.