Do you change contents of BOB seasonally?

Posted by: snoman

Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 01:59 AM

Since my niece was in town for the weekend, we decided to go on a little day trip. My sister (her mom) said they'll pick me up at my house. When they show, sis and hubby are in the back seat, my niece is driving and I get shotgun. I open the door, toss BOB in and climb in. My niece is looking at my rucksack and says 'what's that.' I smiled and said "That's my friend, Bob" and leave it at that.
One of our stops was Centralia, PA, a town that was evacuated/condemned/erased because of a coal mine fire that's been burning underground for the last 45 years or so. Anyway, she's complaining of being cold, so I open BOB and give her a scarf and light up one of those charcoal hand-warmers for her. After walking around for about 30 minutes, bro-in-law is complaining about forgetting his hat, so I open BOB and give him my old mad bomber hat (which got a lot of laughs!). After a while, everyone's complaining about being hungry, so I open BOB again and they get some Clif Bars and a water bottle, to hold us over until lunch.
When we're back in the truck, she asks me about BOB again. I told her it's just a pack I carry some supplies in 'just in case.' When we get home, I dump the whole thing out and go through it for her, explaining what purpose everything has. She asks if I carry it all the time. I said 'pretty much, though it's contents change seasonally.' Since it's winter, more warmth related things, like the mad bomber hat, extra socks, mittens, scarf, etc. In summer, that stuff comes out and is replaced with a Tilley hat and more water, etc.
So that's my question - what do ya'all swap in and out of your BOBs because of the season?
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 02:32 AM

My base vehicle kit pretty much is the same year round, except that I do add an extra duffle with a winter clothing supplement, such as a hooded ski jacket, insulated bibs, fleece hoodie, Sorel boots, gloves, hat, a couple extra pairs of heavy socks, some extra chemical warmers, including boot warmers, things like that. I tend to have an extra blanket or two beyond the one in my regular kit. In winter, I carry a snow shovel, in addition to the folding GI style shovel in the regular kit. There's probably other stuff I carry in winter that I don't in summer, like windshield de-ice/washer fluid. This was an interesting question! I don't really know everything that's back there...

I do have all weather clothing items in the base bag, and enough to get thru the cold, but, always figured it wouldn't hurt to have an extra set of cold gear in winter. Sometimes it has been used by a passenger, since I tend to have weather appropriate clothing on anyway, but, I've had folks in the truck that aren't as prepared.

I guess in the summer, I do tend to carry more water, because I usually have an extra case of bottled water in the back. I think my base kit's pretty good all weather, but, I reinforce with the season and on longer trips. (Probably need to be more conscious about it, rather than just doing it when I think of it.)
Posted by: scafool

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 02:38 AM

Mine not only changes with the weather, it changes with where I expect to be going. I walk quite a bit and it goes wherever I go.
My big packs and car pack are a different deal.

About the only thing that stays the same is my possibilities bag inside of it.
In winter my two water bottles change into one bottle and one thermos.
A spare pair of socks becomes 2 if I am traveling far. A touque gets added, a balaclava gets added. I don't use scarves, but I add a fleece sweater.
I have a hood on my jacket. Mitts get added in addition to my summer work gloves. Plus the pair of mitts in the coat pocket.
The rest of the stuff including treats is there winter and summer. The food tends to change from apples to tinned sardines in oil but that is about it.
I like trail mix a lot.
My pack is not huge but in the winter it sometimes ends up stuffed right full because if it gets warm in the day my coat goes in the pack.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 02:50 AM

In the winter, BoB gets more food and more clothes. Always plan on hoofing it, and winter just sucks on foot.

My car gear stays pretty much the same year round, becuase I'm too lazy to clean it.

My EDC gets wool liner gloves and a spare watch cap in winter, while my keys and wallet move to my jacket for the season. In the summer, they'll go back into my bag of tricks. And that is the one that is most likely to do what you did- I've pulled batteries, duct tape, wire, various small tools, and FAK items out of it often enough that no one is really surprised any more.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 03:41 AM

My philosophy on BOB has changed somewhat over the last couple of years. At one time, the BOB was pretty much the same and only changed slightly in terms of clothes dependent on the seasons.

The main drawback with this approach is multi-faceted. Where we live the weather can change dramtically within a few days to a week. For example, we just went through our worst December in 40 years in terms of record snowfall and extreme cold. Now we are back to above seasonal norms and fast approaching spring temperatures already. Clothing requirements need to be altered as the clothes needed two weeks ago are no longer required. Yet another cold snap can come in next week and once again, the clothes in the BOB would not be sufficient.

This also does not take into account that the BOB's are also a secondary backup when used on hiking, fishing and camping trips that take place any time of the year and in vastly different locales and environments. One day we could be basking in 75F weather in valley bottoms and the next day be in an mountain tops where the temperature is a cool 40F.

Due to situations such as the above, changing and maintaining the BOB every few weeks is not conducive to the time required and inconvenience of it all. The methods now in place are the result of much experimentation over the last 1-1/2 years and so far have been successful in terms of least maintenance and overall usefulness. In addition to the standard BOB in the trunk of the car, a separate large soft-sided bag containing a mix of spring/fall, summer and winter clothes, other seasonal items and extra food is also kept in the car trunk. This bag supplements the BOB's and backpacks for whatever outdoor activity, regardless of season. For example, if we are out hiking somewhere and decide to spend a couple more days, there would be no issue as there would be more enough supplies for this. The only downside to this is that the car trunk is aways perpetually full...yet that is not all that bad of a downside.

At home and in a worst case sneario where we were forced to leave with the car on a moments notice, we would have enough clothes and food for close to a week. Assuming we had more notice (30 minutes) and were at home, we have extra bins packed that could be quickly put into the car and this would give us about 3 weeks of supplies.

On a similar vein where we left by car and then had to abandon it for whatever reason, having a large selection of gear, clothes and food to choose from and to add to the base BOB improves our odds much more significantly.
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 01:23 PM

I add some warm weather clothing in the warmer months, but leave the cold weather clothing in as well. I've often pulled my fleece hoodie out while camping, even during the summer months.

Other than that, everything else stays the same.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 01:23 PM

I don't have a BOB persay, but I don't have all the components for one. Whenever I do camping, hiking, travelling I pull together the components necessary for the type of trip and weather.

If I ever needed to really bug out, I just grab the tuperware bins that I have the components stored in and I have the full BOB then.

So, more of a BOT? Bug Out Tupperware? LOL!
Posted by: airballrad

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 02:41 PM

Mine stays the same. The clothing I have in there can range from summer (t-shirt, nylon shorts) to winter (system jacket with liner/shell, polypro thermals, watch cap/gloves). The only thing I change seasonally is to add/remove the extras living in the trunk; more water in the summer, closed-cell sleeping pad and extra outerwear in the winter.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 05:25 PM

Other than changing food Items for freezing temps, my Emergency gear stays pretty well the same.
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/20/09 10:14 PM

in so cal, that's not much of a problem because of the one season "warm". There were a few cold nights this year, but I figured the extra jacket in the bob will hold me over if I needed it.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/21/09 12:00 AM

here in southern california i wishfully think of rain while putting my rain pants/jacket in the bag. i also add my rubber boots to the trunk.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/21/09 02:54 AM

I don't change my BOB, because in my thinking, I do not want to forget to change BOB back.

If I have BOB packed and ready to go with things I think are sufficient for all seasons, then I am as ready as i am going to be. If I tailor BOB to summer and forget to change BOB back for winter, I could be ill-prepared for cold weather.

My BOB is for bugging-out of bugging-in, and rarely moves out of its position near the front door. My friend BOB is a homebody.

I do however tailor the gear I carry for what I expect to encounter, and on rare occasions when I need a pack the size of BOB, BOB's contents can get changed out. This past Fall, I climbed Mount Washington. If I had decided to carry BOB full of his normal contents, then I would have dropped from exhaustion. So, I took out some things and added a few more. BOB and I went up and came down no problem.

DW however complained a bit about carrying too much in her BOB. Of course, she didn't look through it and left it up to me what she was going to carry. She really did not like carrying the Mainstay bar, but I felt comfortable knowing she would have food if she got stuck out there.
Posted by: snoman

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/21/09 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: horizonseeker
in so cal, that's not much of a problem because of the one season - "warm"

I live in east Pa. I remember summers where it hit 100 degrees F and a few winters where it was -20 degrees F.
Posted by: epirider

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/21/09 03:30 AM

I have a stuff sack that I attach to the top of the of my BOB. The basics of the contents stay the same. Food gets rotated and things get updated according to how fat I get. In the summer, the stuff sack comes off. In the winter, the sack with fleece and gortex, hat, gloves, tinted goggles and heavy socks (extra pr.) gets attached to the BOB again. I works well for me.

I have a monster fannie pack that I update according to the day. It gets stuffed in my jeep for EDC.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/21/09 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: snoman
I live in east Pa. I remember summers where it hit 100 degrees F and a few winters where it was -20 degrees F.

Snoman,

Yup, you just gotta love the temp variations we deal with. I'm heading up to Blakeslee this weekend on a scout camping trip. Looks like a low of 5 F and a high of 23 F. That always makes for some fun!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/21/09 03:22 PM

Hmm, my BOB is non-seasonal, in that it is packed with the basics. I augment with seasonal/situational items on my way out the door, ranging from cold weather gear to extra water and food to whatever I see that I can get in the back of the pickup.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Do you change contents of BOB seasonally? - 01/21/09 06:05 PM

Yes - mine changes from jacket based in the winter to pack based. A 10 degree jacket is an essential...at 10 degrees