NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/12/09 10:12 PM

Just a heads up that I'll be introducing two new pieces of Doug Ritter Gear at Shot Show.:

Essential Gear eGear PICO™ Lite: www.equipped.org/PICOlite.htm

RSK Mk5™ by Columbia River Knife & Tool: www.equipped.org/rsk_mk5.htm

Thanks to all who helped out by helping test this new gear and for all of your support. More stuff on the way...
Posted by: clearwater

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/12/09 11:15 PM

How would that little knife work as a skinner?
Posted by: MDinana

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/12/09 11:21 PM

The knife I like. I have to ask, if anyone has used the light, how does it compare to the Streamlight nano? I've been EDC'ing it for a while, love it! I can see getting this one too... even if there aren't many differences!

BTW, I know that the button batteries can be had at certain websites for uber-cheap... $5-10 for 100.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/12/09 11:24 PM

This equipment looks good.

I can't wait to see the "pumped up version of the Pocket Survival Pack".
Posted by: KenK

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 12:19 AM

Oh man Doug, I read the Mk5's description with a slowly growing dread of seeing what the price was ... and then I was delighted when I finally saw it. Awesome!!

I may actually need to buy two - one for the kit and one for playing with.

Unfortunately a custom heavier-duty sheath will probably cost more than the Mk5.

About the LED light ... very nice. Another surprizingly low cost. Next you'll be inventing a tiny lithium battery that simply doesn't yet exist. I can see it now.

Ken

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: KenK
About the LED light ... very nice. Another surprizingly low cost. Next you'll be inventing a tiny lithium battery that simply doesn't yet exist. I can see it now.

Thanks. What's holding us up is the minimum quantities. Think 6 figures! But, who knows? Amazing what turns up when you least expect it...
Posted by: MDinana

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: MDinana

I had the pleasure of testing out the light these past months. I've used and abused two thoroughly. Both lights are very similar. They're about the same, but I would probably rate Doug's as being a little more thought out. There's a few small details that set it aside from the Nano Streamlight. Namely the gasket inside providing weatherproofing.

Lucky! How'd you pull that off?

Thanks for the quick reply. Can't wait to see these on the market, might have to buy of couple of the knives and at least one light (looks like it'll clip on the stethoscope, a big minus of the Nano!). Maybe 2, since my GF was looking for something similar too. In fact, that knife might also fit on the stethoscope... whistleOK, I'm joking on that last part (even though my hospital IS in a tough neighborhood)!

Edit: Out of curiousity, how much are these new items going to affect the price of the PSP?
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 12:38 AM

I'm not a fan of those batteries, but for that price point I will try it out.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 01:00 AM

Congratulations, Doug! I have been a bit anxious to see what was up your sleeve since I listened to the secretive mention of the new stuff on the WoodsMonkey.com podcast. (Thank you, KenK, for posting that.) Both products look awesome. The knife is especially nice to see, as it will work much better in a pocket-sized kit than those scalpel blades!
Posted by: Blast

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 01:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all who helped out by helping test this new gear and for all of your support.

It was fun. The light is really amazing... Now that they are commercially available I'm tempted to start hitting my test light with bigger and bigger sticks just to see how durable it is. Repeated droppings on tile and concrete did nothing to it even though it was attached to my excessively populated keychain.

-Blast, who is hoping to next test the new "Doug Ritter Survival Ferrari"!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 01:04 AM

Neato. Could you design a light that runs on the brown hearing aid batteries? I seem to have a lot of those around...
Posted by: Desperado

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 01:23 AM

Is this where the specialty lanyard question I responded to was going??
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 01:50 AM

Can't wait to get my hands on them.
Posted by: big_al

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 01:53 AM

Doug: Are you coming out with a biger pouch? That way I can put all the stuff I have in the one I have now(VERY tight) and add a new MK 5.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:04 AM

I'll definitely get the knife.

Probably a couple.

Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:07 AM

Awww, they're so cute!

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Is this where the specialty lanyard question I responded to was going??

Yes

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: big_al
Doug: Are you coming out with a biger pouch? That way I can put all the stuff I have in the one I have now(VERY tight) and add a new MK 5.

There will be a new pouch for the new kit, larger kit. It will not be too much larger as it is still designed to fit in a pocket. It will be a very cool pouch. smile

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Christina
Awww, they're so cute!

Works for me. We hope it appeals across a wide demographic -- like, everybody!
Posted by: ironraven

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Christina
Awww, they're so cute!

That was going to be my line. :P

Doug, for some inexplicable reason, I have this hunch that I know where at least one or two of those lights are going, and maybe one of those knives.

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
the new kit, larger kit.

Doug, if I just mail you my credit card... *laughs*
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:04 AM

"Doug if I just mail you my credit card"

Dude I was thinking the same thing LOL

Doug you can put me down for two(2) MK5's and two(2) lights
just tell me where to send the money

Mike
kd7fqd

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:13 AM

Thanks guys! As soon as they are available to purchase, you will all be the first to know.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:19 AM

Doug my DS PilotBoy ask for two of them as well we he saw them

Mike
Posted by: Blast

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:40 AM

The PICO Lite after several months of use and abuse:

The PICO lite lights up the entire room, the doors are 13 feet away.

On/off is controlled by screwing down the head portion. The threaded portion is pretty long so it's impossible for this light to turn on accidently and when you do turn it on you don't have to fiddle with some mechanically-weak switch. Doug made a winner here, folks.

-Blast

p.s. Plus, cheerleaders TOTALLY dig it!
Posted by: raptor

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 04:18 AM

That knife looks excellent. In my opinion it´s very aesthetical and it sure will be very functional.

I can imagine purchasing several of these in the future so I can use one as a "spark generator" for ferrocerium and/or as a scraper for magnesium.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 06:07 AM

Eric, who made the sheath has a Chris Janowsky RANGER I sent him. The blade on that dedicated survival knife is a nominal 2.5" and skins and butchers very well.
Readers should remember Oetzi, the italian alps ice mummy carried a hafted flint blade of equally small dimensions.

And now, with embaressment, I put my new light through a rather ignoble torture test. My old BCB tin PSK somehow managed to find it's way INTO a supersize , fastfood coke. I suspect a family member with a disdain for the outdoors.And there it sat, under a patio chair for 5 days until I started putting together my daypack for a field survey and discovered it just today.

Well,The tape was a gooey mess and the tin rusted with pinholes.My high carbon, small scandinavian blade is a disaster, the edge now serrated. My aluminum SPARKLITE worked after flushing in clear water.But needles, BCB commando saw, mirror--well it was all a fused,rusted and coagulated mess until I pulled out the new light. It required rinsing, but looked unscathed. And then I twisted the head and 'THUS SPRACHT ZARATHUSTRA' there was light!
It's a winner.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 01:56 PM

Awesome. Doug, thank you so much for your efforts in this area. I had been using the Spyderco Jester as my mini/backup knife, but I will definitely be obtaining the new MK5 when it's available.

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Awesome. Doug, thank you so much for your efforts in this area. I had been using the Spyderco Jester as my mini/backup knife, but I will definitely be obtaining the new MK5 when it's available.

Jester is a great little folder. Unfortunately for us, the cost was not insignificant. <shrug> OTOH, it helped push us to do the Mk5.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:11 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! This gives me time to save up enough that I can purchase a quantity of each when they are available. grin
Posted by: Stu

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:53 PM

Doug,
That's a very nice little knife that will go well in the PSP, as a replacement of the scalpel blade. I've replaced the scalpel blades in all my PSP's with Victorinox Alox Classic SAKs for safety reasons, I've seen too many cut themselves with using scalpel blades, esp. with cold wet hands.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:54 PM

Given the folks involved in design, testing and production, these items look very promising. Just when I think I'm appropriately geared up... wink
Posted by: Russ

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 02:56 PM

Doug,
When do you expect the RSK Mk5 will be available? Aeromedix?
Posted by: 7point82

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Doug,

Unless Doug has updated info, the web page indicates...

"MSRP for the RSK Mk5™ is $26.99.

The RSK Mk5™ is the first of my knives that is distributed through normal channels. You should be able to get it from any CRKT dealer. I'll post a note here as soon as they start shipping, expected to be in March, 2009."

Doug,
Do keep us updated regarding availability. I'd like to pick up a fist full of the lights and a couple of the knives myself.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:09 PM

I would as well. I have a question on the knife though: I have a neck lanyard that has a few essential items on it. I am cinsidering adding this knife + sheath to it, as I have a ferro rod on there right now. My question is, is there enough carbon steel in the knife to facilitate using it with the ferro rod? If so, great. If not, I may have to consider whether I want to carry one or not (I have the RSK Mk whatever version, the smaller folder). It would only serve one purpose, and, again, I carry two knives currently everywhere, so, I am not sure that this would be a PRACTICAL decision for me.
The light I am sold on!

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
I would as well. I have a question on the knife though: I have a neck lanyard that has a few essential items on it. I am cinsidering adding this knife + sheath to it, as I have a ferro rod on there right now. My question is, is there enough carbon steel in the knife to facilitate using it with the ferro rod? If so, great.

There is no need whatsoever for any carbon in a blade to work with a ferro rod. All a ferro rod requires is a sharp edge. A broken piece of glass will work just fine. Real flint, does require a high carbon, non-stainless steel blade or striker. Totally different

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Doug,

What 7point82 said...

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 03:54 PM

Thanks Doug. Oddly, I wasnt aware of that (or may have forgotten). Thank you for the quick response!
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 05:40 PM

Very nice. I already have Doug's Photon in my PSK so I'm definitely interested in the knife. Then again, would be nice to toss that light onto my keychain.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 06:28 PM

Doug,

Congratulations on once more taking the time and effort to design and then pursue the production of items that are of true quality and value. I know that when I purchase any item with which you have been involved, much thought went into the design, materials, fabrication and distribution and I can place my entire trust in the item for my possible survival. I look forward to supporting ETS through the purchase of a number of these and hopefully many other items to come.

Pete

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Doug,

Congratulations on once more taking the time and effort to design and then pursue the production of items that are of true quality and value. I know that when I purchase any item with which you have been involved, much thought went into the design, materials, fabrication and distribution and I can place my entire trust in the item for my possible survival. I look forward to supporting ETS through the purchase of a number of these and hopefully many other items to come.

Pete

Well Said
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 10:50 PM

I ASSUME everyone understands the return procedure ;o)

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 10:58 PM

"...I ASSUME everyone understands the return procedure..."

I forget, which comes first, the name calling, or the threat making???

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 11:20 PM

Bump,

Any of the testers tried skinning with it?

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

LOL, ROTFLMAO... Remind me not to read the forum when drinking a soda...now I have to clean up a mess. But, it was worth it...

Thanks also to everyone who has been so supportive and the very positive support and kind words from you all in this thread. I'm getting ready to pack up and will be off to SHOT Show at zero-too-early tomorrow. Hopefully these will receive the same positive response from the buyers there.

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Bump,

Any of the testers tried skinning with it?

Yes, but there were no photos, unfortunately. Just a couple squirrels is all. There's plenty of belly to it, which would be an asset. Wouldn't be my first choice for any substantial size game, but it will do in a pinch.

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/13/09 11:30 PM

I can't make it, as usual, but a friend will be there, and he always brings me neat goodies. Maybe one of these this time...
Posted by: AndyO

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/14/09 01:03 AM

I cleaned and skinned at least six deer with the original prototype. I completely butchered at least two of those. The original prototype, in fact, was designed with caping/skinning in mind. The index finger rests across the top of the blade adding a tactile feel to separating tissue without nicking flesh or skin. The lanyard knot goes between the ring and pinky finger to add a functional full handle effect. The thumb, in a number of cutting articulations, gains grip resting in one of the blade holes... Hope this helps.

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/14/09 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: AndyO
I cleaned and skinned at least six deer with the original prototype. I completely butchered at least two of those. The original prototype, in fact, was designed with caping/skinning in mind. The index finger rests across the top of the blade adding a tactile feel to separating tissue without nicking flesh or skin. The lanyard knot goes between the ring and pinky finger to add a functional full handle effect. The thumb, in a number of cutting articulations, gains grip resting in one of the blade holes... Hope this helps.

Andy,

That's for your input. Forgot about that. Was focused on my own testers.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/14/09 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

Oh! shocked eek

That's one of the better laughs I've had lately. grin

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/14/09 05:06 PM

Thanks Andy.

Thought it looked like a good backup knife for that.
Posted by: RayW

Re: Just to rub it in, - 01/16/09 02:13 AM

Played hooky from work today and went to the shot show. Even managed to score a Doug Ritter EGear flashlight. Nice little light, very bright.

Seemed to be a good turnout for this show, traffic jams and parking lots filling up early. Had to park at the other side of the convention center, there just happened to be a surf expo going on over there. Almost didn't make it to the shot show with the distraction of the bikini models at the surf expo, sorry Blast i didn't have my camera.

Lots of cool things to drool over and spend your lunch money on at the shot show. And there is no way to see it all in a day. Can't wait to see Doug's review, and if his review is late he might still be at the surf expo.

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/17/09 12:12 AM

Left work early just to go back to the shot show for a couple of hours today and i had the privilege of meeting Doug Ritter. Was able to chat with Mr. Ritter for a little while even with his busy schedule and during the conversation i was allowed to see the prototype of the new Doug Ritter PSP. Now i was sworn to secrecy about the all of the changes to the new PSP but i don't believe that i will get into trouble for mentioning that there are a couple of things added to the kit that are listed at the beginning of this thread. Start saving your money now so that you can buy one of the new and improved PSP's later this year. Thanks for sharing Doug, it's a cool kit. Will be buying at least one for myself.

Also met another forum member Mike Merryman from LifeViewOutdoors. Mike has a retail personality, by that i mean a nice guy with a great deal of product knowledge. I think that we need to encourage Mike to post here a little more often and share some of his knowledge with the rest of us.

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/17/09 12:31 AM

No, rubbing it in is your little brother calling you on his cell from the floor of the SHOT Show....

I've got some special baby pictures that are just going to have to go online.
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/18/09 10:47 PM

Do the lights come in any other color than blue? Didn't see it mentioned. I'll get one because of the size, but it's going to be tough to beat my Streamlight Key Mate. That's one tough little key light.

How does the clip hold up?

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/19/09 12:02 AM

I asked and currently blue is the only color, next production run there is supposed to be more than one color. The clip is all metal, not plastic. Looking at it the little key ring between the light and the clip would most likely let go first, but that would take quite a bit of force.

Looking at the Streamlight site the clip looks to be very similar. It's a little hard to tell what size the clip is, but the clip is the same size as the one on a Streamlight Nano. Managed to pick up one of those too at the show.

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
Do the lights come in any other color than blue? Didn't see it mentioned. I'll get one because of the size, but it's going to be tough to beat my Streamlight Key Mate. That's one tough little key light.

How does the clip hold up?

They will be available in multiple colors, though which ones and when I am not sure. That depends on what retailers and such want. We already have orders for the original blue, silver, black, and pink. And likely, eventually, in a Type III hard anodized "tactical" version.

The clip is the same as used by Streamlight on their Nano. Sorta funny. We gave the manufacturer some basic specs as to size and such and they ended up sending us that clip, which works. Small world over there in China. <g> Pretty decent quality, all things considered.

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 03:56 PM

I'm sooooooo anxious to see the new PSP!

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
I'm sooooooo anxious to see the new PSP!

Patience, my friend, patience....

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 04:05 PM

Doug,

BTW, do you have a PDF of the instructions for fitting the PSP into an Altoid tin?

I see pictures of the thread taken off the bobbin and the duct tape flattened out.

I'm curious as I never seem to get the kit to fit properly for me.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 04:20 PM

Doug,

BTW, do you have a PDF of the instructions for fitting the PSP into an Altoid tin?

I see pictures of the thread taken off the bobbin and the duct tape flattened out.

I'm curious as I never seem to get the kit to fit properly for me.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Not all the stuff fits, but most of it does. There are no instructions, per se, just a list of suggested items, along with a suggestion that the easiest way to get all these for a reasonable price is to buy a PSP. <g> The duct tape and thread are the two that definitely have to be re-done, as shown. BTW, may well be able to do more with it, I threw that all together in literally 3/4 hour. Not much time to experiment or get very creative. I may try to do some more detailed stuff down the road when/if I have time. Or, perhaps we could make that a challenge at PWYP. <shrug>

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 05:23 PM

Or, perhaps we could make that a challenge at PWYP. <shrug>

Sounds great to me. grin

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 10:48 PM

Patience, my friend, patience....

Doug, you do know that for some of us, that is like asking gravity not to work. grin
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/20/09 10:54 PM

What is PWYP?

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
What is PWYP?

I'm glad you asked as I am curious about that as well!

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 12:12 AM

PWYP = Practice What You Preach

This is an annual survival get together organized by Terrill Hoffman on property he owns in North Carolina. Includes skills courses and such, pretty informal gathering that's grown to a good number of good folks (for the most part <g>) over the years.

There's a PWYP sub-section over on Knife Forums Outdoor Survival Forum: http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/161

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 10:38 AM

Doug,
We have a smaller version of PWYP, every October at the Finger Lakes National Forest in the Finger Lakes region of NY State. Most of the same people attendees attend PWYP, many are ETS'ers, and we have some outdoor skill training sessions while there. We had a record number of women there this year. We expect to have it again in late September. Someday we will get Terrill north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Stu

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 11:42 AM

I need one of those in the Philly area!

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 12:03 PM

I need one of those in the Philly area!

4 hours is too far to drive?
We had people from NY, PA, OH, MD, CT and MA at our FLR in Oct..

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 12:06 PM

For now, yeah, 4 hours is stretching it. I tend to want to stay within 2 hours of home with my little one for right now... Once he's older tho, I can see dragging him with me on things like that! ;-)
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 12:41 PM

So WHICH should i carry in a pocket survival pack? the DR photon microlite or this new one?
QJS

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 12:52 PM

SBR, I'd be interested in going to that...wish I knew about it this year! I am interested in some more details please smile

Bill

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: quickjoeysmall
So WHICH should i carry in a pocket survival pack? the DR photon microlite or this new one?
QJS

All depends on what you want out of it. The new one is a single light intensity and uses 4 batteries. No electronics. Quite rugged.

The photon uses 1 battery and has multiple brightness levels and signalling settings. Also includes hat clip and neck lanyard.

Get both! LOL! I think both have a place.

I think I'll wait till the new PSP is out and get them that way since I was planning on getting another PSP anyway...

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 01:18 PM

All depends on what you want out of it. The new one is a single light intensity and uses 4 batteries. No electronics. Quite rugged.

The photon uses 1 battery and has multiple brightness levels and signalling settings. Also includes hat clip and neck lanyard.

Get both! LOL! I think both have a place.

Not sure that the number of batteries is important, but just to get the facts correct, the white LED Photons have two CR-2016 batteries.

More to the point, the PICO™ Lite has alkaline batteries and the Photon has Lithium. That does make a difference in some regards, both positive and negative, depending upon how you look at it.

The switching is a key difference.

It should also be noted that the PICO™ Lite (at expected street pricing) is less than half the cost of the Photon.

I do agree with your suggestion, get both! <g>

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 01:35 PM

I stand corrected... Forgot that the Photon takes 2. *doh!*

I think I was rambling and trying to get to the point about the Lithium but I hadn't finished my coffee yet.

What do you think about durability comparing the two?

But yeah, thought you'd like the get both suggestion! grin
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 01:55 PM

getting both is what will happen anyway since i'll be buying the new packs and believe lights are one of those things like pens and tissues to spread around liberally. and the photon i can put on a few zip pullers.
is expense the only negative of lithium?
regards the photons i was wondering if it's an idea to have one that preserves night vision. i notice the turquoise one uses the same batteries as the white one; but do you then have the problem you can't see green with it? with a red light you can't see the red lines on a map but there isn't that much red in the woods. there's a lot of green
QJS

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 02:55 PM

Lithium may be more $ but they tend to last much much longer than alkaline.

Night vision recovers quite quickly unless you are shining the light directly in your eye. Ouch! grin

The collar on the Photon helps with the side scatter so that you illuminate what you need. I haven't found that my night vision degraded when using it, turning it off, and looking around. As stated, your eyes tend to come back quickly unless they were exposed to bright light then dark.

YMMV. wink
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Just to really rub it in, - 01/21/09 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: quickjoeysmall
QJS

I chose to replace the Photons in my PSKs with the PICO light because of the twist on/off switch. The PICO is less likely to turn on inside a PSK then any squeeze light (although the Photon is better then most). I prefer the to use the Photon on my key chain where i can use it one handed easier.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/21/09 09:34 PM

Well Doug that new knife really looks great. I just read your description and inception page and think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

It is near impossible to find the perfect knife for a small kit. I resorted to a custom knife but many people just cannot do that.

Nicely done.

Remember back several years ago with that Australian PSK could be had with a double edge "arrow shaped" fixed blade? It was nearly impossible to get then Australia banned them and it was absolutely impossible. Well this Mk 5 looks to open up a new host of possibilites.

Posted by: yelp

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/22/09 06:36 PM

Wonder how many of us are going to forget we've got a Mk5 in a pack or laptop bag when we go through a security checkpoint? I'm going to have to keep a pre-addressed pre-paid mailer with the laptop so I can send the knife back to myself.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: NEW Doug Ritter Gear at SHOT Show - 01/22/09 06:38 PM

I already need to pack a bag from scratch whenever I travel by air to prevent any of my sharp verboten gadgets from trying to go with me. blush