Need a new canteen/water bottle

Posted by: Tom_L

Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 03:59 PM

For many years now I've used a US military 1qt canteen (worn on my belt) for shorter day trips. It has been a source of frustration for a while unfortunately. It leaks around the cap slightly, which is a minor problem in the warm months but gets really annoying in winter.

Getting back from a hike today I've decided I'm fed up with that canteen. I'll have to buy a new one, hopefully a model with a much better seal. I can get a British army type 58 canteen cheaply, is it better made than the US type?

Another option would be a decent water bottle. I've had an aluminum Sigg 1l bottle in mind, those seem to be pretty decent but a bit pricey. I think I'll get one (or something similar) anyway to keep in my backpack. I still want a good canteen I can wear on my belt, though.

What is your favorite setup and what would you recommend? Nalgene bottles seem to be popular on these boards but I'd like to stay away from them, based on less than stellar experience in the past. If you have any other ideas please share your thoughts! wink
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 04:14 PM

Tom,

Sounds like you may have one of the "Real GI" canteens opposed to a real USGI canteen. If you look into the throat of the opening and it is flat instead of rounded or gently chamfered, that may be the case. If so, a true USGI canteen and lid shouldn't leak.

If that isn't the problem, I suggest Camelback bottles. I appreciate the bite valve set up and the loop for carabiner attachment. We have about 10 and they all work like champs. I just clip them anywhere I want and go. I carry them in my truck (read office), and just refill throughout the day. Another nice feature is they can be "rebuilt". Replacement parts for the bite valve, etc are available at most stores that carry the bottles.

Here is the website.

Good Luck
Posted by: scafool

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 04:24 PM

I have some of the white nalgene bottles, not the clear ones.
They seem to be OK, just they have no loops so you need to have them in a bag.
(Somebody should make a pouch for a water bottle but I can't remember ever seeing one)
I sometimes use the light weight stainless steel thermoses for hiking.
Thermos/Thermocafe for example.
There is the same problem of needing a small backpack for them

I also use large size disposable pop bottles a lot.
You can not beat them for price, and when they wear out you still get your 10¢ deposit back.

Edit.
I was just thinking that none of my water carrying containers fit on a belt. They are all either in the pack or on shoulder straps.
Posted by: big_al

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 05:03 PM

I use a G.I. canteens all the time, Go to a g.I. surplus store and get a new "cork" seal for the lid, that will stop the leak.
Posted by: DannyL

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 05:11 PM

A 32 oz Nalgene bottle (wide mouth) and a slip on the bottom GSI stainless cup. OR sells a belt holster for water bottles, but they don't seem to ride very well.
Haven't touch a G I anything since my military days.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 05:40 PM

I carried (and still have somewhere) a USGI Stainless steel canteen for years and years. I really liked it better than the newer plastics, altho I have some of them too. I have never had a problem with my plastics leaking. The SS would leak on occasion, I would just cut a new cork "gasket" for the cap and no more leaks. Neat thing about the SS canteen is that, if you remove the cap, you can heat water in it...

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 05:44 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the excellent feedback! I'll consider getting a replacement/upgrade for the GI canteen. I'm not 100% sure if the one I got is the genuine thing, it does look like it but these days you never now with so much "mil-spec" made in China crap floating around.

I don't like Nalgene that much, not only does it absorb smells like Izzy noted but I've had some other issues (including a less than perfect seal) as well. Also, I've never found any belt holster/carrier system that really works for me. I might look into getting some other Lexan water bottles though, I've seen a few in an outdoor store nearby that might be better.

I use water bottles almost all the time so they need to be rugged. The aluminum Sigg seems nice. A buddy of mine has had it for a while and it can take a lot of punishment. I'd love to have an aluminum water bottle that can be heated over a fire but the Sigg apparently cannot handle an open flame.

Camelbak is another option but I think I'll pass for now. The bite valve is cool. However, I don't see any real need for it myself. I see how it could interfere with some of my other gear and it might be a pain to clean. Besides, I'm a bit wary of adding any more "gadgets" to my setup because they only tend to make life more complicated on the trail in my experience.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 05:46 PM

I'm using a triple magazine pouch to carry a 32oz nalgene bottle--it was either meant for .223 or .30 magazines. Sorry I can't remember which...
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 05:59 PM

You can use one of these to carry most 32oz water bottles in. I use a 32 oz SS bottle from Guyot designs. Here's a picture of one.

Posted by: ironraven

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 06:13 PM

Never had a polycarb Nalgene leak on me unless the top had become warped. The HDPE ones... yeah, they are dribblers and they absorb scents better than baking soda. The Tritons have failed to impress. But I've seen polycarb, BPA-containing ones get run over and still work fine.

Similiar but improved are the Gouyet stainless bottles. They use the same mouth thread as the Nalgenes, so everything under the sun will mate to them. Down side is they are heavier and more expensive, but it is single wall, stainless steel bottle. I like the ones that taper a little at the bottom, they fit into even the slightly undersized GSI cups. And unlike the Sigg, they are unlined, so you can boil in them. I'm testing their effectiveness in winter, to see if the slick sided cap is harder to get off, but since you can use a Nalgene lid, replacing it will be no big deal if it comes to that. I've only got 20 or so Nalgenes I can borrow a top from.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, even below bladders IMHO, is the GI plastic canteen. Heavy as the steel ones, willing to break like the tritons, carry oders like the HDPE, and with their over all shape and the narrow neck they are a pain to fill and a pain to clean.

As for pouches, there are a tonne of them out there. Maxped, TAG, SpecOps Brand and probably others have padded/insulated ones. Tactical Tailor, 5.11, Kifaru, Eagle, and (gag) BHI all have unlined pouches for them. And everyone makes pouches that will work if a little oversized. Yes, I know, this is all "tactical" nylon, but it is also all MOLLE, and most of it uses MALICE clip. If you can't get those to work on a belt, you aren't trying. *laughs* And you can get all of them in solid colors (black, foliage, od, coyote) so they shouldn't stand out all that much. From the otherside, prowling REI or EMS should show plenty of pouches that can be added to compression straps on packs that fit a water bottle, and they and Campmor all have dedicated carriers that you just sling over your shoulder.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 06:27 PM

My Lexan Nalgeen's have never leaked, and they have taken some abuse for sure, including some rather impressive enounters with boulder fields that were at a significantly lower altitude than where I was climbing. Sometimes you are reaching back to clip the biner on the cap loop onto something on your pack, and miss, and then get to see just how strong Lexan is as it bounces down the mountain... It's also a test to see how good your memory is as you try to remember which area of rocks your bottle settled into so you can pick it up when you are on your way back down...
Posted by: Andy

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/11/09 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom_L

Camelbak is another option but I think I'll pass for now. The bite valve is cool. However, I don't see any real need for it myself. I see how it could interfere with some of my other gear and it might be a pain to clean. Besides, I'm a bit wary of adding any more "gadgets" to my setup because they only tend to make life more complicated on the trail in my experience.

I really like the Camelbak bottles for the house and commuting. I find I drink more because it's easier to use the bite valve than it is to open a bottle, less spillage too. I clip a bottle to my work bags (use Griploks on a bag with MOLLE webbing). On the trail I use a Camelbak type plastic resevoir in my pack for drinking water and a 1 qt. plastic GI-type canteen on my belt for cooking, washing, etc. My only complaint with the hydration bags is re-filling them. Blackhawk makes a filler tube that has faucet connection with a quick disconect valve so you don't have to open the pack to re-fill.

Let us know what you decide!

Andy
Posted by: ZenEngineer

Nalgene Oasis? - 01/11/09 09:53 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but what about a Nalgene Oasis?

Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Nalgene Oasis? - 01/11/09 11:15 PM

Here is one I love, and it is hard to find. A sigg flask nested into a stainless steel cup. It is oval shaped (more flat than round) so it fits in a pocket fairly well. It is much easier to carry than the round ones if you are not carrying a backpack.

Sigg Black Oval Flask with Cup

http://www.gearforadventure.com/Sigg_Black_Oval_Flask_with_Cup_p/1557.htm

It always seems that I like the things that don't sell well and they always stop making my favorite items.
Posted by: comms

Re: Nalgene Oasis? - 01/11/09 11:47 PM

I bookmarked that oasis. Very nice for a future buy.

Re: Nalgene Oasis? - 01/12/09 12:10 AM

I think it was a casualty of the BPA scare.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/12/09 02:09 AM

Call me cheap...or practical. For water storage, I simply re-use 710 ML Powerade bottles. They are free from work, have a wide enough lid to get most ice-cubes into and can be easily carried (multiple) in backpacks, jacket pockets etc. If we drop and break one...no worries there, lots more where they came from.

For longer trips, the 1.5L corner /grocery store water bottles that consumers waste their money on also work great.
Posted by: bmisf

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/12/09 03:26 AM

Definitely check out the Platypus bottles. I have 1L and 2L bottles, and a hydration hose plus the spout caps, and they're great. They are durable, they weigh next to nothing, and they're relatively inexpensive. When they're not full of water you can fold or roll them up and pack them away.

I've used mine for all manner of hiking, backpacking, snow camping, and backcountry adventures, and never had a problem.
Posted by: comms

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/12/09 03:51 AM

Yeah I have one of those Platypus 1L in my EDC pack. They are good.
Posted by: Homer

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/12/09 05:34 AM

What about a British or Nato style canteen like the Crusader Integral Survival Unit from BCB?

Posted by: yeti

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/12/09 05:03 PM

Here are a few of my points in no particular order...

I'm another one of the converts to the guyot designs stainless steel bottles (http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11).

1) They are milled and ROCK-SOLID 18/10 surgical grade stainless. I'm convinced someone will inherit them when I'm long gone.

2) I have a variety of pouches and especially like the insulated nalgene bottle covers made by Outdoor Research. They cost a bit, but I have some I use daily that have withstood YEARS (15-20) of abuse. They insulate well. It's often nice in the field to pop the bottle I loaded and still have a bit of ice after 6 hours in a HOT car and 95+ outside! REI bought Outdoor Research years ago and the carriers have undergone at least two design changes. I like the earlier models with webbing loop best now. When I first got them, I thought velcro would be better. Fast forward 10+ years and I was in an REI while traveling and bought some with the velcro loops. They're ok...better for some stuff, but I find overall I like the performance of the solid/sewn webbing better. The only thing that REI seems to have on the webpage now is this one

(http://www.rei.com/product/770795) but it is yet another change and I can't speak to having used them. I don't think I like the zipper up near the top however I do like the mesh pouch.

3) I use the standard bottle.

I bought a couple of backpacker models and on several tests in a vehicle and on inclines, and a variety of other unstable situations, while the backpacker tapered bottles did OK, the standard was much more stable. The standard is the size of a 32 oz nalgene, can be used with anything you can use on a nalgene, and holds 38 oz. I have even used them with Olicamp Space Saver cups. One word on this...the SS Olicamp cups will work, but just barely. When you have some considerable temp changes or condensation you get a bit of temporary vaporlock...I can live with that.

4) Because I carry more than just water, or carry for long periods, cleanliness in PARAMOUNT. It's a heck of a lot easier to clean a wide-mouth bottle...and be SURE it is clean. So I'm not a fan of narrow-mouthed water carriers be they canteens, sigg bottles, or even camelbacks. I figure I've got enough problems without GI issues I bring onto myself.

5) In a pinch the SS guots can be pressed into service for cooking (even though the disclaimer says "not for use with hot liquids). Of course one shouldn't seal up with boiling water. Nothing says I can't cook in an open container.

6) I've utterly destroyed thin-walled bottles, don't like aluminum for drinking water anyways, and find there is far less of a bottle-taste with these than anything I've ever used. Again...I use bottles every day, all day, and have for 20 years.

7) You won't be traveling microlight with SS bottles. I make the allowance for durability. However, if you're backpacking, you might want to go with lighter options. The weight on the standard bottle is 12.3 oz.

8) I do keep drinking sraws in my bottles. It makes things easy when my hands are covered in something I don't want to drink, and helps me not splash all over myself when driving in bumpy conditions.

9) My backpacker model has a good deal more clearance in the Oliphant SS cups and makes rattling noises under bouncy conditions. I'm not a fan of the noise so it also makes the case for me to use the standard size.

10) If you ever ruin a top, the tops from nalgenes will work.

11) They're not for the budget-minded unless you're willing to save and buy quality...or wait for a sale. They will however last a lifetime. As someone who has actually broken nalgene lexan bottles as well as other offerings they make in the 32 oz size, I'll take the durability of the SS.

I don't work for or receive consideration from guyot, but I guess I have become something of a convert. Plus buying stuff I'll never have to replace appeals to me.

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/13/09 02:58 AM

Nothing wrong with that. I used 20oz soda bottles with my old ALICE and LL Bean Continental Ruck- two of them fit into a pocket designed to hold one USGI canteen. Same weight filled, with 25% more water. *laughs*

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/13/09 02:59 AM

They say not to use them with hot liquids becuase they are a single walled bottle. Put hot liquids in them and they get... well, hot. If people can't realize that coffee is hot...

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/13/09 12:08 PM

Thanks for all the responses! I've looked into a number of options but all things considered (especially simplicity, durability, carry options and $) I bought a 1L Lexan water bottle (to keep inside the backpack) and ordered a new 1qt GI canteen. The real deal straight from the source so it should be all right. If not, I'll be really mad. smile I'll also be getting a new thermos some time soon.
Posted by: yeti

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/19/09 02:12 PM

BTW, I made a mistake above. The blue bottle parka that I showed is an "Outdoor Products" version. The one I meant to show was the "Outdoor Research" version as they were the first (and IMHO best). They can be found on the OR site here:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/water_bottle_parka.html

Here is the pic:

Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Need a new canteen/water bottle - 01/20/09 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I carried (and still have somewhere) a USGI Stainless steel canteen for years and years. I really liked it better than the newer plastics, altho I have some of them too. I have never had a problem with my plastics leaking. The SS would leak on occasion, I would just cut a new cork "gasket" for the cap and no more leaks. Neat thing about the SS canteen is that, if you remove the cap, you can heat water in it...

I actually carry the canteen my dad had in Korea. I do need to replace the seal in the lid as it leaks, but just slightly. Not bad after all of these years.

I also have a canteen cup that nestles underneath it.

Love it for heating up water.