Two hikers lost on my running trail

Posted by: comms

Two hikers lost on my running trail - 01/05/09 07:27 PM

I love a good desert run and the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix provide scenery that people travel from around the world to witness. (It doesn't hurt that many of them are looking for the Lost Dutchman's mine).

I heard this morning that two under-prepared day hikers went missing yesterday and were found late this morning. Their vehicle found at a trail head I often use for my own hiking and running in the area. LINK to article

My running partners often chide me for the Camelback I run with stuffed with gear. I carry at a minimum my EDC pouch but also a shower cap (as a UL waterproof beanie), well used map of an area I know very well, gels, water and glove liners. Climate conditions dictate my appropriate running attire.

My EDC includes what you would expect: multiple fire starters, LED light, AMK Heatsheet, among other things we all would expect an EDC to have.
--------------
The second half of the LINK is about an ATV rider still lost since Friday, who rode off in croc sandals in snowy conditions. How nuts is that?
Posted by: yelp

Re: Two hikers lost on my running trail - 01/05/09 08:24 PM

I used to be a wilderness ranger in those parts. IBM does not make a computer that can tally the number of idio- um, under-prepared folks I saw / had to deal with. This is where quoting the Wilderness Act came in handy: Exposure to a hazardous environment is part of the wilderness recreational experience.

On a more sobering note, it's good to hear that you're prepared, even for "just a run." Some years back a gal from Globe Hotshots went on a run for PTs and just...died. Didn't get lost (except that nobody knew where she went), she just sat down and never got back up.

Be safe, ever and always. And keep an eye out for that ironwood tree that points a branch to the Dutchman.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Two hikers lost on my running trail - 01/05/09 10:05 PM

The Superstitions strike again! Luckily, they got out...
Posted by: Russ

Re: Two hikers lost on my running trail - 01/05/09 10:10 PM

Quote:
... A bloodhound led rescuers to the hikers, who said it had gotten dark and they lost their way back. ...
IIRC, it does that everyday at about the same time.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Two hikers lost on my running trail - 01/06/09 12:05 AM

Reevis Mountain School
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Two hikers lost on my running trail - 01/06/09 03:43 AM

LOL good one Russ...

pretty much a universal thing ain't it?

JohnE
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Two hikers lost on my running trail - 01/06/09 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Quote:
... A bloodhound led rescuers to the hikers, who said it had gotten dark and they lost their way back. ...
IIRC, it does that everyday at about the same time.

On this day, it happened early.