Winter travel calls for good judgment

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 12:16 AM

Just a wee bit north of here...

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2008/dec/30/winter_travel_calls_good_judgment/
Posted by: Susan

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 01:00 AM

"Too bad there is no treatment for bad judgment."

Truer words were never spoken.

I hope they gave Two-Time Charlie a good bill for the second rescue.

Sue
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 01:23 AM

They should bill him for the first one as well.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 12:15 PM

"The kicker to the story about the rescue near Lake Mary is that two of the people came back to the road the next day and got stuck again and had to be rescued again. These two people hiked the road in what was described as heavy snow, and one man became missing at about 4:30 p.m."
Darwin award winners in the making.......
Posted by: Blast

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 01:08 PM

Sometimes I think a lot of the problems in the corld would be solved if we were allowed to eat foolish people.

-Blast
Posted by: scafool

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
"Too bad there is no treatment for bad judgment."

Truer words were never spoken.

I hope they gave Two-Time Charlie a good bill for the second rescue.

Sue

Ah, but there are treatments, and they are injury and death.
These treatments can be thought of as being self administered.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 02:03 PM

They could also stop coddling these people in the press. Give the idiots the 15 minutes they are due and name them. Let all their friends and neighbors know that they live next to an idiot who can't drive in snow and is too stupid to know not to go hiking in a blizzard. Charge them with endangering the welfare of a child because they don't have enough common sense to be considered an adult.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 02:41 PM

Job security for the public servants.

We used to have the same problem with a state highway in central CA. Every winter it would disappear under 'bout 10 ft of water then mud for a distance of 'bout two miles. And every winter dummies would drive around the barricades and signs. Then get stuck, requiring highway workers, highway cops, fire guys, swift water rescue guys, and helicopters respond to save their waterlogged butts. And they would get upset that their vehicles (now ruined, but they wouldn't believe that) got left there 'til the water went down and the mud removed by a fleet of front loaders and dump truck. Then we would have a tow respond to remove the hulk, and the owners would get the bill for that. Which of course they would not pay, so the tow company had to eat the bill. Sadly, the state couldn't bill them for all of the rescue folks...
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Sadly, the state couldn't bill them for all of the rescue folks...

Arizona has a "Stupid Motorist Law" that allows those who drive around barricades to be billed for the full cost of rescue plus up to $2000 fine.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 03:08 PM

Quote:
but lets all learn something from it and try to use good judgment

Its really just human nature that folks learn from their mistakes rather than have an understanding or some foresight of the consequences of their actions. It all really just boils down to a lack of experience. Take for example driving in the snow and controlling a vehicle for slippery conditions. In countries such a Finland, driving in snow conditions is par for the course.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sSUIqNBUdXY

It can also be fun getting that experience for when conditions get really bad.

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 03:16 PM

Ya gotta love that!!!
Posted by: Stu

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Sadly, the state couldn't bill them for all of the rescue folks...

Arizona has a "Stupid Motorist Law" that allows those who drive around barricades to be billed for the full cost of rescue plus up to $2000 fine.

That is a good thing...... grin
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 04:17 PM

California counties can bill residents for rescues,
or if the lame happen to be from another county,
the other county can be billed.

Usually the rescues are covered by county taxes if you are
a resident or your county has a reciprocal agreement with
the county responsible for rescue.

I don't know if the State can bill folks tho.
Probably be cheaper if they would just fix the
drainage problem.

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 04:25 PM

"...I don't know if the State can bill folks tho..."

As far as I know (things may have changed since I retired), the CHP only bills drunk drivers that cause an accident for the departments expenses. If the drunk does not cause the T/C, he/she is not billed. The department does not charge anyone else for anything. I don't know about other state or county agencies...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 06:53 PM

Holding people financially accountable for their actions... now where have I heard that notion before? Hmmmmmmmmm....

Why is it when someone does something idiotic in their car and needs rescue, everyone thinks they should be held accountable, yet if that same person heads into the wilderness afoot and does something equally idiotic that they require rescue from, that is somehow okay? Risk is risk, and I see no difference between the two outcomes. Either the rescuee is responsible, or else everyone else is.

I do hate double standards.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 07:23 PM

"Sometimes I think a lot of the problems in the corld would be solved if we were allowed to eat foolish people."

But Blast, what about the ancient practice of choosing to eat an animal, or certain parts of it, in order to acquire its qualities? The heart of a lion for courage, and all that...

Re: Winter travel calls for good judgment - 12/31/08 09:13 PM

"...eat foolish people..."

I doubt that they would taste good...