Stupidity isn't regional

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Stupidity isn't regional - 12/30/08 05:36 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081230/ap_on_re_us/hypothermiadeath

The recent storms in California were a mere inconvenience for most of us. A few worried about mudslides after the annual fires, driving fatalities went up and a few space heater/ barb-b-que deaths.
But all in all, I just got looks from people in shorts and flip flops like I was a misplaced lighthouse keeper.
One laughs, mumbles 'only in California.'
And then you read this.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/30/08 05:59 PM

broken link frown 404 error
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/30/08 06:13 PM

I get looks from people all the time. I think it's cause I'm the one who's mumbling.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/30/08 06:17 PM

This one I guess?

http://www.wctv.tv/APNews/headlines/36862939.html

-john
Posted by: Susan

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/30/08 07:00 PM

That wasn't stupidity, that was outright murder.

http://www.wowowow.com/post/idaho-man-charged-after-daughter-freezes-death-163277

Sue
Posted by: scafool

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/31/08 01:36 PM

Why do people insist upon driving when conditions are truly bad, and then compound it by not even having proper clothing or anything if they do get stuck.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/31/08 01:37 PM

Yet another symptom of an ongoing social problem we have yet to deal with effectively.

When people put little or no value in marriage or family, why would we expect them to put any greater value on life itself? Regrettable, but predictable. Certainly not a regional issue.

Depraved indifference, if I were going for a real charge. Certainly negligent.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/31/08 02:02 PM

We are living in the days that Mark Twain predicted:

"When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots."
Posted by: Xterior

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/31/08 03:45 PM

A quote of a colleague: God must love idiots. He made so many of them.

Stupidity is international.
Posted by: samhain

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 12/31/08 10:54 PM

I suspect Negligent Homicide will be the charges pursued.

I can't imagine what the boy is going through.

Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 01/01/09 01:37 PM

Well, they will go high, and settle low. I doubt murder will stick; but, I agree with Samhain; likely be something along those lines. Here in MA it would be a level of manslaughter. Either way, the guy seriously deserves punishment. Doing that to ANYONE is bad, never mind your own children!
Posted by: stargazer

Re: Stupidity isn't regional - 01/02/09 06:08 AM

I posted elsewhere on this and wanted to add this here.

The Uncle and Father were both charged with second-degree murder and felony injury to a child. The Uncle was also charged with drug possession. The father was given a temporary release from custody to mourn with family members at a local funeral home. Though free from jail he was in the custody of the Lincoln County deputies. Will these charges stick? I do not know at this time. It boils my blood for the reasons I gave on the other post (snow tragedy).

Stargazer