Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada

Posted by: Colourful

Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 05:39 PM

Looks bad for these snowmobilers

Article on CBC :

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/12/29/fernie-avalanche.html
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 06:11 PM

Same with a pair here that got nailed. The dad (third in the group) survived. One of the fatalities was a local fireman, who tried to save the other one and ended up a Darwin Award winner as well.

Sad, but what do you expect when you do stupid...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 06:16 PM

For those who may of read this post previously, I updated the map of the area after looking at my old topo maps and Google Earth.

I have been following this story yesterday and throughout today and your are correct, it does not look like there is going to be a good outcome of this.

Years back we camped in and hiked in this general area and it is rugged country in the summer, let alone the winter. The map below shows the general area. The town of Fernie is to the top left of the map

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 09:51 PM

Latest news reports state that six bodies have been found....
Posted by: KenK

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Sad, but what do you expect when you do stupid...

I'm a little worried that benjammin got hit by an avalanche in mid-post. I hope he's OK!!

Ken K. grin
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 10:36 PM

At the risk of sounding flippant, which is not what I intend, the dreaded white stuff strikes again...

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 10:38 PM

Yes, an avalanche of extra work due to stupid people.

and tonight I am going to see the Avalanche pounce on the Tennesseans. Haven't gone to a hockey match in years. Could use a little blood lust right about now.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/29/08 11:14 PM

"The Canadian Avalanche Centre, based in Revelstoke, said there were reports of avalanches in the area all day, and it warned people to stay out of the area for the next several days."

It won't happen to us. The same old story.

Sue
Posted by: timo

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 01:38 AM

Males, mid to late 20's, snowmobiles, warnings of dangerous conditions...
How predictable was this?
Knowledge of the area does not equal experience.
In this case "experienced in the back country" was trumped by testosterone.
Sad.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 03:46 AM

Looks like the story is even more tragic. Some of the dead were Good Samaritans who happened upon the first avalanche and were killed by the second during rescue efforts.

- - - - -
From the Edmonton Journal (a credible publication BTW):

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Seven+bodies+found+search/1123919/story.html

"RCMP said the men were all wearing avalanche beacons when they were riding together Sunday in the Flathead Valley, 40 kilometres southwest of Fernie.

Police said some members from a group of seven snowmobilers were buried by an avalanche in the Harvey Pass area — a popular backcountry snowmobile destination.

A second group of four snowmobilers heard yelling from the area and came to the aid of members from the first group who were in the process of digging out their fellow riders.

The RCMP said the newly formed group was able to locate one rider, but as they were digging him out at a depth of about three metres, a second avalanche came down and buried the entire group.

Two of the buried riders managed to get themselves out within about 20 minutes. These two used avalanche beacons to locate a third buried victim who they rescued after an additional 20 minutes of digging.

The Provincial Emergency Program was notified when automated distress calls were received from communications devices worn by the snowmobilers. A helicopter was dispatched to the scene to pick up two of the three survivors. The third survivor was transported by ground with the assistance of Fernie Search and Rescue personnel."

- - - - -

I've been to Fernie, in summer. It's magnificent mountain country. It's also high angle country with narrow valleys, so I imagine any avalanche would travel a long way with considerable force. From first reports, the snowmobilers were not "high marking" -- a popular sport where souped-up sleds go up steep inclines in a competition to leave the highest mark. This, of course, carries a degree of avalanche risk. But it appears (hearsay?) that this group was low down and happened to be caught by the first avalanche.

Hearts out to the families. This has to be a tough one.

- - - - -

(P.S., Moderators, I believe my limited quote is appropriate. If not, please advise and I will modify ASAP.)

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Looks like the story is even more tragic. Some of the dead were Good Samaritans who happened upon the first avalanche and were killed by the second during rescue efforts.

The Globe and Mail, CTV and CBC are saying that all 11 people knew each other (some were related) but were in two groups when the avalanches occurred. Regardless, it will be probably be a day or few before the true story emerges.

It is a tough loss for such a small community and the affected living people and families.

Obviously some tragic mistakes were made, but what is distressing to read are some of the so called armchair experts on other forums and websites who are beaking off about this and who have never ventured in avalanche country, may not of even set foot in snow, let alone know what a snowmobile and a PLB is...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 05:34 AM

Yes, it may be that they were part of the same group. The reports are unclear on those details.

I suppose those armchair adventurers who have never seen wild country in winter, and especially avalanche country, can't fully appreciate the risk vs. reward that factors into such trips.

Personally, I understand and accept the controlled risk (and degrees of uncontrolled risk) of going into wild places. Generally, it's more dangerous to drive to these places on the highway than it is to go into them. And make no mistake: high country in winter is absolutely magnificent to see.

But the avalanche hazard ups the ante. It certainly scares the living hell out of me. I have seen the aftermath of full-bore alpine avalanches. Mature pine and spruce are ground up to pieces the size of your thumbnail. The resulting snow sets up like reinforced concrete.

And at the risk of being insensitive, it has been my experience that snowmobilers tend to risk more than self-propelled skiers and snowshoers. Perhaps that's not fair; I certainly can't prove it as a trend across the board. Speed can certainly get you out of dangerous zones more quickly; but you can't listen to the boom and crackle of the snowpack as you approach those zones, and 'group momentum' can take you places you would be loathe to enter on your own. In other words, the machine and the sport can overtake caution.

But I don't know if that's applicable in this situation. It's just my 2-cents' worth.

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 02:55 PM

Today, there is more details here including some info from one of the survivors.

This graphic here shows the area where the avalanches occurred and is right in the general area of the google map I posted yesterday.

The terrain around this area is fairly rugged and high. Although we did not get to Fernie this year, we were close by (about an hour by the crow flies) and this photo shows the terrain in the area. The photo was taken at just over 7,000 feet, the town of Fernie is behind the mountains just off center left background of the photo.

You are right about avalanches...they scare me too. Luckily (or unluckily) I live close enough to many mountain ranges and can get and enjoy the winter scenery often. The narrow valleys and canyons always makes us nervous and stay out of them as much as we can as the danger versus the reward level is not worth it.

Twelve years ago we seen an avalanche as it was happening and even though we never in any danger and far enough away, the rumbling sound and the breaking of trees like they twigs was unreal and no movie can do it justice. What I will never forget is after the initial avalanche, about 20 -30 seconds later it seemed, the wind concussion from the displaced air hit us then the snow and ice particles in the wind stung our faces. It was very un-nerving to say the least, at the same time very fascinating

In regards to risk taking snowmobilers, I agree pretty much the same. This article sums it up well.

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 03:54 PM

Gees, more last minute entries into the Darwin Award group for 2008. Not a terribly creative way to win the award, but effective I suppose.

For being the most intelligent species on the planet, we sure pull some stupid stuff. I guess sentience ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Posted by: JohnN

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
the rumbling sound and the breaking of trees like they twigs was unreal and no movie can do it justice.

Agreed. The sound cannot be fully appreciated without hearing a real one. Even from far off it is enough to put you in your place in the universe.

-john
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/30/08 11:57 PM

apparently they had SPOT satellite beacons but not another type of transmitter that could have helped. Globe and mail story on emergency beacons

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/31/08 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Gees, more last minute entries into the Darwin Award group for 2008. Not a terribly creative way to win the award, but effective I suppose.

Regardless of what, why, and how these people perished, I am sure that your above comments would be much different if one of them were your son, brother etc. Show a little bit of class next time and post something constructive based on your knowledge that would perhaps benefit a present or future forum member reading here from making the same tragic mistakes as these people unfortunately did.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/31/08 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
apparently they had SPOT satellite beacons but not another type of transmitter that could have helped. Globe and mail story on emergency beacons

This conflicts with the first story that said the bodies
were found quickly because of the avalanche beacons they were wearing.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/31/08 12:56 AM

"I am sure that your above comments would be much different if one of them were your son, brother etc... post something constructive based on your knowledge that would perhaps benefit a present or future forum member reading here from making the same tragic mistakes as these people unfortunately did."

Even if they're not saying aloud, the families of these young people are probably all thinking the same thing: "HOW COULD THEY HAVE DONE SOMETHING SO STUPID?!"

They were old enough to know what the dangers were, that they were outside the allowable boundaries, that many other people have died under similar circumstances, and they did it anyway.

They are probably ardent posters on snowmobile forums, had read lots of items about snowmobilers caught in avalanches, but KNEW that it couldn't happen to them. And some of their friends and acquaintances who are mourning them are quite likely to do the same exact thing. Whether they die or not is purely a matter of chance.

Even watching a friend or family member die is not enough to prevent people from following them into oblivion. It just doesn't matter what they read, what they are told, or what they see personally, they KNOW IT WON'T HAPPEN TO THEM.

Sue
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Snowmobilers missing in avalanche. BC, Canada - 12/31/08 01:34 AM

If this keeps up, it will soon be as dangerous to go out in the
winter backcountry as to drive to work.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-avalanche-deaths30-2008dec30,0,2996294.story