What Kind of Hardware do You Carry?

Posted by: JohnnyRocket

What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 03:08 AM

A comment in another post made me think about the kind of "hardware" I have packed. By hardware, I mean screws, nails, staples, fasteners etc. I believe I have some nails, a few galavanized fence staples, some sheetrock screws and maybe a few eye screws. I don't know how I will use them but as soon as I figure out the need, I've got them! How about you? I will dig out the PSK tomorrow and shoot some pics.

JR
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 03:13 AM

I don't EDC any of that stuff, but I can always come up with screws, nuts, bolts, nails, romex staplex, SS wire, "mechanics" wire, and other assorted goodies in very short notice...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 03:20 AM

Thanks! You just reminded me of BOG tote # 7 (see my reply to recent "a look inside my bob" post)contents-
Miscellaneous fasteners and paper goods.

Screws, bolts, nails, tapes, paper towels, ziplocs, zip ties, paracord, bungee cord, tubular webbing, etc.

I also have in my BOP, the AMK repair kit/FAK combo for field repairs- Cuts and Bolts. Nice small kit.

Cuts and Bolts
Posted by: wildman800

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 03:27 AM

Knives, Leatherman, 8" Crescent Wrench, 10-in-1 wallet tool

Electrical tape, duct tape, paracord, leather lacing, shoe strings
Posted by: Desperado

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 03:38 AM

Hardware: BOB Zip-ties of sizes ranging from 3" to 24", True 100 mph tape, cordage, super glue, pack repair type stuff, sewing kits, Hockey pad tape (electrical tape w/o the residue),
BORV: Too much assorted RV stuff to mention. (It just seems to grow.)
BOV: I am a builder, I have all kinds of that crap in the tool box.

Then there is HARDWARE: EDC Kimber 1911 .45 Tactical Ultra II
Home: Glock Mod 21
Trailer Remington 870 that will be very hard to explain (kinda short)
BOB Ruger MK II (another tough explanation: it's quiet), Springfield Armory M6 .22/.410
Somewhere in the gun safe all kinds of long and short range goodies.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 03:57 AM

a roll of medium weight copper wire is very handy..i have one of those red spools in my odds and ends bag for canoe trips..and anything you have along that has a nut or bolt you better have a few extra..if you wear glasses,even sun glasses take one of those little kits with the tiny screws..
Posted by: KenK

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

a roll of medium weight copper wire is very handy

Just curious ... why copper instead of galvanized steel or stainless steel?

My own "hardware" tends to be duct tape, paracord, and dental floss (I carry a needle in my FAK). I probably should start bringing some wire & zip strips too.

Ken
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

a roll of medium weight copper wire is very handy

Just curious ... why copper instead of galvanized steel or stainless steel?

Not sure why someone else might like it, copper being soft creates one advantage. You can secure it by twisting it together, and because it is soft, it is more likely to stay. It's tougher to do that with stainless. Also, IIRC, galvanized is less flexible than stainless.

As an example, copper's softness allows it to be used as snare traps.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 01:48 PM

In my surival kit I carry some screw eyes, zip ties, screw hooks, and maybe a few small nails...

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
In my surival kit I carry some screw eyes, zip ties, screw hooks, and maybe a few small nails...

Screw eyes seem to be a popular item. Why is everyone carrying them? I must be missing something.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 03:28 PM

Ken,Dan has got the idea..but to tell the truth i take a wood spool of it along because it's a traditional canoe tripping item.
it would also work better for repairing paddles or busted wood parts on the canoe than tape.i guess it went along because it was soft enought to work without tools.
Posted by: Lono

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 04:27 PM

I only 'carry' a crescent wrench and wrecking bar (in home kit, car kit, office kit) to turn off utilities and get out of stuck doorways, but in my emergency gear (home) I keep a hammer, box of roofing nails, some sheetrock screws and blue tarp for covering up holes in my roof, from downed trees or earthquakes. And to keep the zombies out of course.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Screw eyes seem to be a popular item. Why is everyone carrying them? I must be missing something.

Great little tie down spots for fishing line, lashing, etc... With a screw eye and 2 screw hooks, can make a decent little improvised fishing pole.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 07:35 PM

Are we talking about on our person or in our vehicle?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 08:35 PM

I have seen more than one oldtimey rifle/shotgun with the cracked wrist of the stock repaired with copper wire, "whipped" like the end of a piece of rope. Winchester Model 97's were bad about breaking there...
Posted by: Henry_Porter

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/19/08 09:36 PM

I pack some zipties, ranger bands, wire, duct tape, needles/thread, hose clamps and super glue (depending on which bag). But I like the idea of adding a few assorted fasteners as mentioned about.

Of course, having a multitool (or Desperado's kind of hardware!) would make it easy in certain environs to liberate a nut or screw in an emergency. ;-)

Regarding screw eyes, I don't know...nothing quite creeps ya out like looking in a dark possibles bag and seeing two unblinking screw eyes staring at ya.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/20/08 01:15 AM

Wire, zipties, sometimes superglue. A few screw eyes, a couple of split rings or key 'biners in larger kits.

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/22/08 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Hardware: BOB Zip-ties of sizes ranging from 3" to 24", True 100 mph tape, cordage, super glue, pack repair type stuff, sewing kits, Hockey pad tape (electrical tape w/o the residue),
BORV: Too much assorted RV stuff to mention. (It just seems to grow.)
BOV: I am a builder, I have all kinds of that crap in the tool box.

Then there is HARDWARE: EDC Kimber 1911 .45 Tactical Ultra II
Home: Glock Mod 21
Trailer Remington 870 that will be very hard to explain (kkinda Short but legal)
BOB Ruger MK II (another tough explanation: it's quiet But tax stamped), Springfield Armory M6 .22/.410
Somewhere in the gun safe all kinds of long and short range goodies.

There was some confusion

Re: What Kind of Hardware do You Carry? - 12/22/08 01:14 AM

No alligator clips and electrical tape for car repairs? I always seem to have trailer wiring problems in the rain and it makes repairs easy.