Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord

Posted by: thatguyjeff

Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 04:23 PM

This looks kinda nifty.

http://www.survivalstraps.com/survivalbracelets.html

Somebody get me one of these for Christmas, m'kay?
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: thatguyjeff
Somebody get me one of these for Christmas, m'kay?

Merry Christmas

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 05:29 PM

I was thinking that an ankle bracelet made like one of the above items would be a good option for lower profile EDC for those who can't wear much on their belt or tote a big bag. Even in a suit, an ankle bracelet in a color that blends with your socks/pants (preferably dark) may work.
Posted by: CAP613

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 06:07 PM

How about a belt, That would be a useful amount of cord.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I make these all the time. They take maybe...15 minutes for a bracelet. An hour for a lanyard. It's easy-peezy japaneezy.
The guy that sells those on his site does the Double-Up method. You basically do what Instructables says to do, but do two at a time on the same buckle and weave them together. It's a bit harder, but you can actually pack about 20 feet into a bracelet that's 6-7", but it looks ABSURDLY huge on your wrist.

King Cobra it's called, and you don't really do two at once, just weave the bracelet, the go back over it with the remaining cord. doubles the needed length of cord.

i make fobs with the king cobra stitch and put one on anything i can that i carry regularly.

i also made a 3D maglight holder
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: CAP613
How about a belt, That would be a useful amount of cord.

good god, i'd reckon at least a hundred feet depending on waist size.

Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 07:56 PM

I forget, is the left or the right wrist shows you're single?

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I imagine you'd need at least 10 foot for an average ankle.

My ankle measures a little over 10" around so you are exactly right. 10' of 550 cord always on my person; I like the idea. I'm going to see how it works out.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/11/08 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I forget, is the left or the right wrist shows you're single?

Either way, I think I may know why they are single.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 01:47 AM

Thanks for the instructables info, I never knew it existed until today's posts about gas masks and paracord braiding.

I'm going to re-braid my M6 Scout (needs cleaned anyway, so it's time) and make some of these- my wife is quite creative, I'll try to get her interested.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 02:47 AM

"...ankle bracelet..."

I did just that, made one sized to fit at the top of the "combat boots" I normally wear. Can't be seen, lots more paracord...
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Smash
Quote:
Either way, I think I may know why they are single. laugh

What? you don't think girls will find a guy attractive if he is wearing a watch band, an ankle braclet, a belt and a sweater woven entirely out of para-cord?

Well, you brought that up. I just meant that seemed like a lot of time spent to create those fashion statements. NOW WHAT, HUH!?! Nothing like a little face wash with the old Easton gloves eh? laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: Fishmode

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 08:50 AM

Haha, what else can I make paracord with? Hmmm, how bout a belt. OK I gotta stop
Posted by: Glocker36

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 10:03 AM

I made a hat band that goes around my boonie hat, that has at least 25 feet of paracord.

The other application that I have found works great is a slightly different knot that gives you the ability to wrap about 10 feet of paracord around a small ferrocerium rod and striker. I also wrapped about 3 feet of snare wire around that before knotting the FOB.

It took me a little looking to find a video on how to tie the knot, but this makes a very handy little EDC item and is the perfect size for a keychain.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 02:06 PM

Here you go:

Slatts Rescue Belt Knot

Pete

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
I replaced the shoe laces of my hunting boots with paracord. Seems to work just fine and is multi purpose JIC.

I have seen that technique mentioned before. Thing is, if I'm in a situation where I need to scavenge 550 cord, I'd probably need to keep my boots on too.
Posted by: snoman

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishmode
Haha, what else can I make paracord with? Hmmm, how bout a belt. OK I gotta stop

A rifle sling...

Posted by: MDinana

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Smash
Quote:
Either way, I think I may know why they are single.

What? you don't think girls will find a guy attractive if he is wearing a watch band, an ankle braclet, a belt and a sweater woven entirely out of para-cord?

laugh That's hilarious. My new 3-layer system for warmth:
1) Long sleeve athletic shirt
2) Paracord-woven "hoody" sweater
3) Gore-tex shell

And of course, if my feet get cold, I'll put on my paracord beanie.

Better go find myself a few quilting needles!
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 04:55 PM

I decided to give this a try last night, took about 30 minutes (took longer as it was first time) to knock out an 8 inch braid, about 18-20 feet of paracord.

A little too long for a key chain, and I'm just not a bracelet kind of guy, but definitely some potential for other uses.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 06:10 PM

Um, hatband would work I reckon.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 06:56 PM

I think the ideas that really work for paracord accessories are the ones like bracelets, anklets, hat bands and keyfobs. They're not necessary pieces of equipment so you really don't lose anything by unwinding them in a survival situation.

A belt on the other hand is usually a functional item that keeps your pants up and it's the same for shoe laces. A rifle sling makes carrying a rifle easier and a handle wrap makes a blade more comfortable to use and for a more sure grip.

I might think about wrapping the butt of my rifle with paracord though.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 07:21 PM

Though I wonder just how practical it really is. I don't know about everyone else but I like to keep my ropes and cords readily available. Weaving paracord into a big braid that takes a while to do and undo seems to defeat the purpose somehow.

Space consideration is also a bit moot. I can compress 10' of paracord into a very small bundle easily. Fits well on a small carabiner attached to my backpack when hiking outdoors, can be deployed instantly. For urban EDC I prefer to keep the paracord inside the pack. Low profile and takes very little room. No more than a fat 10" braid I guess. smile

As for aesthetics, I don't find paracord braids very sexy. I've done some weird things but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a paracord braid ankle bracelet. Like somebody else has pointed out already, too much braiding might hurt your sex life... laugh But to each his own!
Posted by: jasond

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/12/08 10:16 PM

Before we learned to make them ourselves my wife bought me a paracord bracelet for Christmas last year and I wear it just about everywhere. She actually likes the look of it maybe she is wierd not sure but there is nothing wrong with wearing these bracelets. Someone mentioned they would just rather carry the paracord loose and I do that as well when hiking and camping but you don't always have a pack on with caribiners hanging on it. These items are more for every day carry out of the way and unoticed until needed. I do think rifle sling and belt are going a little too far because once you remove them you obviously no longer have the sling or belt. Just my two cents before I put on my bracelet and head out of the house. smile
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/13/08 03:44 PM

Problem with paracord stuff like bracelets is that it is uncomfortable against the skin and it begins to stink big time very quickly. Washing it does not seem to help much.

nomad..
Posted by: yeti

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/14/08 05:06 PM

I'm curious about the belt situation. I EDC various tools on my belt and regular belts wouldn't stand up to the wear. I wonder how well the paracord belt would perform under similar conditions?

It would seem they have some uses as pack straps for connecting objects, compression straps (though I don't know how much the play would eventually be a problem), and similar items.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/14/08 06:50 PM

Does anyone have a source for a company that sells ready made Slatts paracord belts?
Posted by: aloha

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/14/08 07:46 PM

I use paracord and/or braided accessory cord to make little lanyards or fobs for EDC stuff like my Victorinox Farmer and my Fenix flashlight. It is discreet since it is in my pockets. I use a hangman's noose. It come's apart easily and get's put back into it's pocketable configuration in about a minute. It gives me a 3-4 feet length of cordage. In the case of paracord, times 8.

When needed around PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., I pull out the flashlight and unravel the cord for use. It deploys in seconds. I have used it to save a kid's (not mine) pinata event at his birthday party. The parents didn't have anything to hang it up with. And we were at their home. Can you believe that?

Also used it for field expedient repairs when I didn't have my pack with me and just my EDC pocket stuff.

In my pack and truck, I just have it hanked up.

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/15/08 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Though I wonder just how practical it really is. I don't know about everyone else but I like to keep my ropes and cords readily available. Weaving paracord into a big braid that takes a while to do and undo seems to defeat the purpose somehow.

Space consideration is also a bit moot. I can compress 10' of paracord into a very small bundle easily. Fits well on a small carabiner attached to my backpack when hiking outdoors, can be deployed instantly. For urban EDC I prefer to keep the paracord inside the pack. Low profile and takes very little room. No more than a fat 10" braid I guess. smile

What if you don't have access to, or lose, your pack? Do you keep that pack within arm's reach everywhere you go, every time? You very well may be able to do this, but most of us can't.

If there's a fire alarm or earthquake while you're in a meeting at the office or visiting the men's room, you probably won't be able to go retrieve your pack before evacuating the building (of course you must tailor your profile to fit likely problems, like Schwert demonstrates here). Now what do you have on hand, on your person to help deal with the situation? A boater who carries his critical gear in a boat mounted bag & nothing on his person is in trouble if he gets dumped from the boat, washed downstream and drags himself onto the bank. It's 38 degF and windy. Wouldn't it be great to have a firestarter & a AMK HeatSheet in your pocket?

The paracord bracelet/anklet idea fits into the concept of 1st/2nd/3rd line gear. The bracelet is not meant to be your primary source of cord. I too keep easily available cord in my pack, and it is what I go to if I need cord. But if I can't access the pack, I have the bare minimum in my 1st line gear profile. I keep a few feet of duct tape wrapped on a plastic card in my wallet, along with more in my pack. If I have my pack that's where I go to get tape, but the little bit in my wallet is there if I can't get to the pack.

I'm not saying that everyone here should wear a paracord bracelet and keep duct tape in their wallet. I'm just saying that if you plan to always be able to dig through a well-stocked backpack for critical items, you might find yourself disappointed one day.

Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/16/08 11:07 AM

Well, I have my backpack within easy reach maybe 90% of the time at work and commuting. I don't take it everywhere. Not to meetings that take place in the same bulding or when I'm out for lunch (5mins away where I work). The rest of the time I'm either home, meaning I have even more gear at hand, or going somewhere else where I usually bring my pack anyway. So all in all, I'd say I'm darn well covered.

Sure, there are times when I might not have access to all my EDC/PSK gear. It happens. Then you have to improvise. I don't carry a knife in my pocket when I'm home. Which technically means I don't have a knife with me when I go take a pee. Even though there might be an earthquake at the very moment, trapping me literally with my pants down. Does that mean everyone should keep a small pocket knife in their rectum just in case? Or a bunch of stuff tied to a big paracord necklace?

I don't know, there's being on the safe side and there's being paranoid. You can reduce risk but you can't eliminate it. I don't believe a few feet of paracord wrapped in a "tactical" braid will necessarily save the day if you find yourself in a life threatening situation either. To each his own.
Posted by: storl

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/18/08 08:28 PM

I like the idea of a belt, and have actually tried to make one myself. Has anyone seen or made a version that uses a different weave than the bracelet originally mentioned? I would prefer something that does not use hundreds of feet of paracord, since that would be very heavy. I am thinking something that is similar to a nylon belt.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Survival "bracelet" - 15-20' of #550 paracord - 12/18/08 10:13 PM

Slatts knot!! I like it becasue iif you ever need it, all you have to do is pull one strand. I believe there is a link ot it in this thread...