Cpr and First Aid courses

Posted by: Hookpunch

Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/06/08 11:42 PM

I have signed up for a course over a weekend, the St. John's Ambulance version, something I think is always a good idea if just for your immediate family.

However as a bonus these type of courses would seem critical in a survival situation.

Just wondering how many on this board have taken courses.

Thanks
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/06/08 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Hookpunch

I have signed up for a course over a weekend, the St. John's Ambulance version, something I think is always a good idea if just for your immediate family.

However as a bonus these type of courses would seem critical in a survival situation.

Thanks

All four of original family. When "foster" moved in, he had to complete within 2 months.

Foster is in "" "" as it is a LONG story. Consider lifeguard if time/money allow. My son has turned that extra class into a profitable extra job more than once.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
. . . Consider lifeguard if time/money allow. . . .

That course is a great way to get into better shape, too. Swam my posterior off, often towing a "victim," every day for a solid month.

Also, consider taking a first aid course before CPR, if you've never had any FA training before. Rescue breathing is often included in FA classes, and it is the more important part of CPR, in the sense that rescue breathing is more likely to save a life than CPR.

CPR can and does work, but the sad fact is that only a small percentage of out of hospital cardiac arrest victims survive to walk out of the hospital. Again, CPR does sometimes work, and is a skill well worth learning. It's not that hard to learn, either.

I'm just saying consider taking FA first, since that's slightly more likely to be useful, then take CPR. But do take both, if you can. It's a good idea to take one that includes AED (automatic external defibrillator) instruction, as well. Most do these days, since AEDs are becoming more commonplace.

Jeff

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
. . . Consider lifeguard if time/money allow. . . .

Rescue breathing is often included in FA classes, and it is the more important part of CPR, in the sense that rescue breathing is more likely to save a life than CPR.

AED (automatic external defibrillator) instruction, as well. Most do these days, since AEDs are becoming more commonplace.

Jeff

On Rescue Breathing: I thought I recently heard something saying rescue breathing was being done away with? Is this true? Seems to me the goes against the "ABC's". I like breathing. If I have stopped doing so, I hope someone will help me.

On AED: I seem to remember that AED's were basically "step by step" follow the directions. Other than at your suit and tie job, is an AED that hard to use? Doesn't it really do all of the thinking for you? You know the "Automatic" part?

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 12:46 AM

On rescue breathing: Yeah, I think they may be going to "compressions only" CPR for citizen rescuers. Professional rescuers use a slightly different version of CPR. But mouth to mouth is simple to do and it works very well. Consider who you are are around most often, which is usually family, friends, and co-workers. M to M is something I might not want to do on some stranger, but I consider it an essential skill to have.

On AEDs: Yes, most models have very simple, clear, illustrated instructions right on them, and some have voice prompts as well. They are extremely safe and easy for anyone to use, by design. No thinking or advanced knowledge is required. But a little advance familiarization training will reduce stress, doubt and hesitancy, while improving speed and confidence in their use.

AEDs can make a HUGE difference in appropriate cases. Not all CPR cases require a defibrillation "shock," but those who do need it as fast as possible. If they get it even a few moments sooner because a citizen applied an AED before the rescuers arrived, it could make all the difference.

Jeff

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 01:06 AM

I actually know a healthcare rep that may have some in her line. May just have to ask about that. I was thinking along the AED lines, but after the last wreck I was at during Thanksgiving holiday AND closing my business, I may just go EMT1 all the way to Paramedic on the side. I have a healthy nest egg that will allow no change in lifestyle for 14 years. I just don't want to touch it. Also need insurance. Wife med's $2500/month

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 01:08 AM

Additional note: For those of you who carry a "pocket mask" or "CPR shield" device, first - good idea. But be aware that it can be rather difficult to obtain an effective seal on the face if you haven't trained and practiced with it.

Jeff

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 01:13 AM

. . . I may just go EMT1 all the way to Paramedic on the side. I have a healthy nest egg that will allow no change in lifestyle for 14 years. I just don't want to touch it. Also need insurance. Wife med's $2500/month

Great! If I can hook you up with any info or resources, I'd be glad to. Just let me know. And sorry to hear your wife has such medical problems.

Jeff

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Additional note: For those of you who carry a "pocket mask" or "CPR shield" device, first - good idea. But be aware that it can be rather difficult to obtain an effective seal on the face if you haven't trained and practiced with it.

Jeff

I would even qualify that statement as "rather difficult to obtain an effective seal on the face if you haven't trained and practiced with it, only somewhat difficult even when trained."

The other item up for bids is whether you are using a quality mask/shield or some POS that came with the POS "one size fits none" first aid kit in the break room.

Trained with several, found few I actually really liked. But better than being the recipient of someone's lunch/lung contents etc.
Jeff, PM OTW

Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 04:54 AM

Jeff your right in some respects, as a CPR Instructor we teach in the Heart Start Program just compressions if 1:1(after checking to see if the patient is breathing),if 2:1 we teach to do rescue breathing with the new protocols of 30:2 and 100 compressions a minute, (five rounds equals 2 mins the American Heart recommends before switching rescuers). American Heart Association recommends more compressions then breaths (see 2005 AHA Guidelines for CPR in Winter Issue Emergency Cardiovascular Care). The 2005 study indicated that keeping blood circulating to the heart for a longer time was more beneficial then stopping after 15 compressions for two breaths.
Any help I can give just ask

Mike
Posted by: Arney

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 03:23 PM

On Rescue Breathing: I thought I recently heard something saying rescue breathing was being done away with? Is this true?

We've had some informative threads on this topic in the past, including links to other info, if you're interested in reading more about compression-only CPR. In the CEPA (sort of like CERT) program I just recently participated in, we had an AHA CPR segment and we were taught the latest 30:2 compression:breaths ratio from the 2005 guidelines. But those guidelines have been modified again not too long ago, so relatively soon, you'll likely see compression-only being taught as the most basic form of CPR. But it depends how quickly that will happen. It costs additional money to implement every time there is any change in the guidelines.

However, it's important to note that compression-only CPR is not really one-size-fits-all. For adults, situations like drownings, intoxication, choking, drug overdoses, etc. rescue breaths would still be recommended, and so would most pediatric situations. So, practicing rescue breathing would still be useful because compression-only works best in situations where the heart stops first, so there is still oxygen in the blood but no way to circulate, versus those situations I just listed, where generally the blood oxygen becomes depleted to the point where the heart then stops beating, so the thinking is that just circulating deoxygenated blood isn't so helpful and rescue breaths become more crucial.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 03:24 PM

Used to be an EMT, and departmental CPR instructor. I am not current anymore, but still remember how to do it, having done CPR for real several dozen times over the years...
Posted by: yeti

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/07/08 04:53 PM

My former employer did regular CPR training for all comers and made sure everyone got refresher training every year or two. Alas, my current employer does nothing of the sort.

Ms yeti and myself did go take the 16-hour version of Wilderness First Aid (no CPR) about 2 months or so ago. We want to do more but expenses and time...well...you know.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/08/08 01:55 PM

Note that rescue breathing is perhaps the most important intervention for victims of a lightning strike who are in respiratory arrest. Breathing for them for the few minutes it takes for their brain's respiratory drive to kick back in can literally be the difference between life & death.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/08/08 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney
We've had some informative threads on this topic in the past, including links to other info, if you're interested in reading more about compression-only CPR.

While looking for a different old post of mine, I ran across this old oldie but goodie thread I started about the 2005 resuscitation guidelines and compression-only CPR, for anyone interested. That was a good discussion we had back then. We've had a couple other good discussions along the way IIRC, for anyone wanting to dig even further.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/08/08 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Hookpunch

Thanks

Yeah I took the CPR and First Aid courses... Fun stuff. Good luck mate have fun with it. I do CPR almost everyday, good skill to have... And first aid well there is no substitute for it.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/08/08 07:16 PM

CPR tonight, first aid Thursday.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/08/08 07:28 PM

Just keep in mind the courses should be considered the first step. On-going training and practice are vital to adequate performance, especially under the pressure of an actual emergency.

Pete
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 12:16 AM

Just like everything in medicine, CPR changes as we learn more about the human body. While most of the changes in medicine and even emergency care the average Joe doesn’t see firsthand like with CPR. Over the last few years the changes in CPR have been significant but these changes have only been incremental steps towards where CPR will be after the next few sets of guidelines. The best advice I can give, take CPR every year and follow the guidelines that you were last taught!

About Rescue Breathing; Rescue Breathing is not going anywhere. Breathing for someone who has a pulse but not adequate respiration is an important skill that has no replacement. It may not be taught in every CPR level, but it is still being taught… if you were taught it, use it! Don’t discount the new CPR courses that are “dumbed down” though. The point of the shorter/simpler Heartsaver course is to provide basic CPR instruction to as many people as possible; it is not possible to include everything that is taught in the “Health Care Provider” level of CPR. The no ventilation CPR was initially introduced nationwide in the AHA Heartsaver CPR program, many billed it (and it was even taught) that it was because people were more likely to do CPR without ventilations. However, prior to these courses, compression only CPR was being used in some EMS communities and hospitals with HUGE increases in survival to discharge (from the hospital). Yup, it looked weird especially through the eyes of experienced providers; doing Compressions on a patient without ventilations (even putting a passive oxygen mask on these patients). It was/is a major paradigm change but it works!

If you want more than a Heartsaver course can offer you, take a more advanced class… the Healthcare Provider initial class is a 16 hour (one weekend)… but at least take the Heartsaver class, basic yes… but it is the simplest things that save lives, always has been, always will be that way.
Posted by: yeti

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
If you want more than a Heartsaver course can offer you, take a more advanced class… the Healthcare Provider initial class is a 16 hour (one weekend)… but at least take the Heartsaver class, basic yes… but it is the simplest things that save lives, always has been, always will be that way.

Who gives this class?
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 01:25 AM

I actually have 3 certs active right now... CPR, First aid and BLS (CPR/aed for the professional rescuer) Ive been certified in CPR and first aid since 2006, when I was 12 smile

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 02:03 AM

I was lucky I could find this basic CPR/First Aid class. There is nothing beyond that around here unless you take college courses.
Posted by: Xterior

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 05:28 AM

I have taken a first aid course.

Then I joined the local Red Cross as a local volunteer and followed their following up courses, and keep practicing on regular basis.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 01:33 PM

Try your local Red Cross, contact your YMCA/YWCA, as many Life Guard courses use that module or if you have community college that has an allied health program, they should have the class.

Pete

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 01:53 PM

Should, but doesn't.

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 02:23 PM

You have two big companies offering their own cpr courses: Red Cross and American Heart Association. I prefer AHA courses from the instructor point of view. BLS for Healtcare providers allows you to really get down to bussiness of CPR and makes you much more effective and boldly saying successful. Since I dont know where in Nebraska exactly you live try this:

Beatrice Community Hospital & Health System 1110 N 10th St
Beatrice, NE 68310 Map (402) 223-7287 BLS for Healthcare Providers
ALS Affiliates 2819 S 125th Ave Ste 251
Attn:scott Hartley
Omaha, NE 68144 Map (402) 292-8535 BLS for Healthcare Providers
St. Francis Memorial Hospital 430 N Monitor St
West Point, NE 68788 Map (402) 372-2404 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Lincoln Fire and Rescue 1801 Q St
Lincoln, NE 68508 Map 402-441-8360 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Providence Medical Center 1200 Providence Rd
Wayne, NE 68787 Map (402) 375-3800 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Regional West Medical Center 4021 Avenue B
Scottsbluff, NE 69361 Map (308) 630-1373 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Freemont Area CPR Campaign 1231 Ruth Ave
Fremont, NE 68025 Map 402-721-9731 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Lincoln Medical Education Partnership 4600 Valley Rd Ste 225
Lincoln, NE 68510 Map (402) 483-4581x 242 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Crete Area Medical Center 1540 Grove Ave
Crete, NE 68333 Map 402-826-6512 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Central Community College 4500 63rd St
Columbus, NE 68601 Map 402-562-1293 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Dorchester Fire Department 512 Washington
Dorchester, NE 68343 Map 402-481-8391 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Good Samaritan Health Systems 10 E 31st St
Kearney, NE 68847 Map (308) 865-7091 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Creighton EMS Education 2514 Cuming St
Omaha, NE 68131 Map (402) 280-1280 BLS for Healthcare Providers
BryanLGH Medical Center 1600 S 48th St
Lincoln, NE 68506 Map (402) 481-3294 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Nebraska Methodist College 720 N 87th St
Omaha, NE 68114 Map (402) 354-7100 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Gordon Memorial Hospital 300 E 8th St
Gordon, NE 69343 Map (308) 282-0401 BLS for Healthcare Providers
Memorial Community Hospital and Health System 810 N 22nd St
Blair, NE 68008 Map (402) 426-1270 BLS for Healthcare Providers

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 03:23 PM

OK, was there someplace really simple that you went to get that list? Man, if I ever need to feel like I'm missing some brain cells, a quick trip to ETS takes care of that . confused
I will contact someone on that list. Thx.

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 12/09/08 04:05 PM

american heart association website has all the info you need... also if by any chance there is an emergency medical service/squad/etc by your house ask them where they recertify and most likely that would be the place to get original course as well.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 01/11/09 09:44 PM

Just finished the course, it was quite enjoyable, the instructor was excellent. I should have done it years ago when my son was born, a lot of useful information.

BTW: I scored 89% on the written test.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Cpr and First Aid courses - 01/11/09 10:17 PM

Advanced first aid 20 years ago. Re-certified every 2 or 3 years since.
The certification I did 2 years ago was St John's and included defibrillators.

Every time you get certified they will be emphasising different things.

In the Early 90s they were really concerned about preventing neck and spine injury so they concentrated on safe handling and immobilization methods.
5 years ago it was EMT personel training us and they spent two days teaching about scene managment and triage. Then focussed the third day on oxygen supply, blood loss and shock.

This time it was definitely about heart attacks and defibrillators. One day of ABCs and two days of cardiac arrest.

Hopefully if anything happens I can help you stay alive until the real medics get to you.