duct tape

Posted by: Anonymous

duct tape - 08/17/02 06:09 PM

why does doug include duct tape in his psk when to me it doesn't seem to have much use and it is quite bulky

Re: duct tape - 08/17/02 06:29 PM

duck tpe is the handy mans secret wepoend its stroung and very useful!
Posted by: zoltan

Re: duct tape - 08/17/02 07:39 PM

Duct tape has been a part of my EDC before I even knew this acronym. It works great for repairing your equipment - some say if you can't fix something with a duct tape, it's not broken. It's also good for improvising stuff - while yachting I made a lot of gear with duct tape, plastic bottles and garbage bags and they worked long enough to get to port and replace it with real equipment. I put some duct tape to my PSK (which I usually don't carry, I've been stuck in a city lately) and I also carry some in my pocket (one roll is enough when I don't expect to use it - if I plan some repairs, I take more) and a lot more in the car.

Re: duct tape - 08/17/02 09:32 PM

Duct tape is the wonder product of the universe, lol. I carry enough in my kit for repairs to clothing, my carry bag, shoes, use it for medical tape, for binding pieces of river willow or other strong pliable wood together to make an emergency bow. Cut into very thin strips it can attach feathers to an arrow and so on. Always got some available to me either in the truck a kit or around the house.

Re: duct tape - 08/18/02 11:50 AM

I don't dispute it's usefulness, but I don't carry a piece in the kit.. I'm a bit skeptical of the utility of one pretty short piece. For my "urban" kit I carry nylon wire bundlers, cord, safety pins and a very small sewing kit instead.<br><br>However, I do have a small roll in one of the pockets of the shoulder pouch I use for commuting, so useful lengths are usually out of reach only when I leave the office for meetings or lunch.

Re: duct tape - 08/18/02 09:31 PM

Unlike other forms of tape, duct tape can be torn into smaller strips that are quite even. So a 2-3' piece of duct tape, if torn properly could give you easily 10' or more.<br><br>Apollo 13 astronauts used it for repairs and the Apollo 17 astronauts used it to keep dust off the lunar rover’s fenders; it is now policy to have a roll on every space shuttle mission.<br><br><br><br>

Re: duct tape - 08/18/02 09:56 PM

I have a hard time understanding how you could not see the value of having some duct tape with you in a emergency/survival situation. The stuff is nothing short of incredible .<br><br>Are you playing some sort of joke here ?
Posted by: schaz

Re: duct tape - 08/18/02 10:16 PM

plls5 wrote:<br><br>Apollo 13 astronauts used it for repairs and the Apollo 17 astronauts used it to keep dust off the lunar rover?s fenders; it is now policy to have a roll on ever<br>y space shuttle mission.<br>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br> I worked on an experiment on SpaceLab 2 many years ago. The astronauts used duct tape to stick all kinds of things, including some experiments, to bulkheads on the Shuttle in order to keep them handy, and where they wanted them, in the microgravity environment.<br>Seth
Posted by: forester

Re: duct tape - 08/19/02 03:10 AM

I've used it many times for clothing repair (especially rain gear), as makeshift gloves, to keep my truck running, etc. etc. My grandfather used to give a couple of rolls to me for Christmas and birthdays (and he's one of the relatives who actually likes me!). I just got my roll out of my PSK and measured it at 1 inch in diameter (for a generous 3 yards) - not much at all.<br><br>I've already read some of the other posts mentioning other uses. I'd like to hear any other uses. I've been to the link listing 100 uses for bandanas - I think we can make this 100 uses for duct tape.
Posted by: Trusbx

Re: duct tape - 08/19/02 03:17 AM

Duct tape is an all around useful item to have for repairs.<br>It can be used to repair leaks in rafts / floats , tears in clothing and bags and if your shelter is leaking, it help you repair the shelter and keep you dry. In a pinch, it can also double up as a bandage with some clean cloth over the wound, the use is limited by your imagination.<br>It is waterproof and sticks to almost anything.<br>The problem is how to get this useful item into your kit. I myself don't fancy carrying a whole roll. It's too large and impractical.<br><br>The solution is to get duct tape from the roll. Start with a base of paper left over from the yellow paper which you peel stickers off. If you can find a sticker album ( for kids who collect stickers), cut some the width of the duct-tape and about half the length of your kit. Peel the duct tape off the roll and stick it onto the sticker paper. Duct tape will stick to itself but will peel off as well, so wrap it around your paper and you have a flat package of duct tape in your PSK!<br><br>I keep a 'flat roll' in my urban carry kit and has been immensely useful in repairing my kid's leaking float. The satisfaction that comes from looking at my happy kid running back to play in the pool with a newly repaired float cannot be described....<br><br>
Posted by: johnbaker

Re: duct tape - 08/19/02 06:14 AM

I make small rolls of duct tape as follows: transfer a reasonable amount of duct tape onto a the cardboard roller from toilet paper. It's easy to roll it onto the roller. After enough is on the small roll, simply flatten the roll & roller for a flat, easily stored quantity. Then use scissors to trim off the excess length of cardboard roller.<br><br>John

Re: duct tape - 08/19/02 06:40 AM

What is the addy for 100 uses for a bandana???? because at scouts we have similar neckerchief!!!!!thanks<br><br>] mark
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: duct tape - 08/19/02 02:27 PM

If you unroll the tape and fold it flat (approx. 3 inches long) you can fold/roll quite alot in a small space. I seem to average about 5+ feet in a flat roll of about 3" longx2" widex1/4" thick. With 1 in my PSKa nd several others in my pack, I likely carry close to hafe the roll in a very small space. Pete
Posted by: billvann

Re: duct tape - 08/19/02 04:36 PM

It's actually a book written in 1927 by Commodore W. E. Longfellow called "Scouting with a Neckerchief".<br><br><br>Incidentally, there's a troop in the US that's proposing a Duct Tape Merit Badge. At first I thought it was a gag, but it seems as if they a truly serious. I just tried the link and it didn't work. The site may be down.<br><br>Here's a page that provides links to other sites with a multitude of uses for duct tape (Oh, BTW, you can seal ductwork with it!).<br><br>Lastly, I've seen ads for "100 mph tape." Does anyone know if it's better, worse or no different than what's available in the hardware store?<br><br>Thanks
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: duct tape - 08/19/02 04:56 PM

Actually, fabric-based "duct tape" hasn't been allowed for sealing ducts for many years in jurisdictions that have mechanical codes - various performance reasons. A metalic type duct tape meeting certain performance criteria is what should be used now-a-days.<br><br><< Lastly, I've seen ads for "100 mph tape." Does anyone know if it's better, worse or no different than what's available in the hardware store? >><br><br>Depends on what you buy at the hardware store. "Mil-spec" tape is the very heaviest and best. Almost as good are the various ones advertised as "90 mph tape" and "100 mph tape". In the same class as those is "contractor grade" brand name stuff like Scotch from 3M. All cost more than the garden variety "duct tape" and all greatly out-perform the bargain stuff in ALL of my experiences with them. If you've never used name brand duct tape in a non-bargain grade, go get a roll and try it in some demanding situations exposed to the elements - you may be amazed at the performance advantage. I refuse to buy the bargain stuff - it's not in the same league as the "good stuff". Save the bargain stuff for non-critical applications like letting kids/grandkids fabricate imaginative things from cardboard boxes, cans. sticks, etc.<br><br>HTH,<br><br>Tom

Re: duct tape - 08/20/02 02:39 PM

from the red green show

Re: duct tape - 08/21/02 03:46 AM

I have Black and Olive Drab Duct Tape that I picked up at a military surplus sale direct from the Canadian Forces. I have asked several people who have told me it is the same as the 100 MPH Tape used during the Vietnam Era. It is extremely strong, very hard to rip as you would normal DT. I use a blade to cut it. It is also very sticky. It is so sticky that if you stick the sticky pieces together it will not come apart. I have used it to repair fiberglass boat hulls, ATV seats and fenders, and it is particularly good to repair ponchos, tents, tarps, etc. <br><br>If the stuff I have is true 100 MPH tape. There is no comparison between this stuff and commercial versions. It does come in very large rolls.<br><br>I am sending a roll to Red Green for his expert opinion. I will also send a roll to ETS if someone will tell me the best way to send it.<br><br>Mariner.
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: duct tape - 08/21/02 04:33 AM

<< used during the Vietnam Era >><br><br>Er, last I checked, it's still in the supply system
Posted by: win

Re: duct tape - 08/21/02 10:22 AM

Mariner,<br>I have been looking for this for some time in green colour. Can you help me get one if at alll possible? I will give you details and let me know the deal if you can assist.<br>One question: does the tape leave residue after being left a while?<br><br>Many thanks<br>Oliver
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: duct tape - 08/21/02 01:35 PM

WIN, I do not where you live, but in the US, the green is available from:<br>http://www.sportsmansguide.com/<br><br>Once on their site, just do a search for duct tape. Pete

Re: duct tape - 08/21/02 03:19 PM

You can get 100mph OD green duct tape at "cheaper than dirt" http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1607&sku=MLT%2D9005&imgid=&mscssid=XR2GBQ4TSM548L10MKFH2G00SEH3D1S0<br><br>Less than $6.00 a roll U.S.

Re: duct tape - 08/22/02 12:10 AM

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. smile
Posted by: forester

Re: duct tape - 08/22/02 02:38 AM

The site I was thinking about was recommended by Ade on 7/28/02 but everyone's added so many more to that (my side still aches from laughing at the Red Green site). The site Ade suggested is http://www.wildernessexchange.citysearch.com/6.html

Re: duct tape - 08/24/02 06:16 PM

If you live in Canada and can't find any I will send you a roll. Send your mailing address to: <br><br>Hydra Corp<br>Box 87<br>Rankin Inlet, Nunavut<br>X0C-0G0<br><br>If you live in the States our courteous members have given you supplier access. I haven't had any residue problems. I will qualify that by adding I haven't used it in any really warm situations.
Posted by: win

Re: duct tape - 08/25/02 03:19 PM

Mariner,<br>Many thanks and extremely kind of you.<br>I have been searching for these high & low.<br>Will email privately for follow up.<br>Warmest wishes,