Leatherman Wave?

Posted by: Markok765

Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 01:45 AM

I am thinking of buying this, not really for survival, but more for everyday use. What do you guys think?
Posted by: eric_2003

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 01:56 AM

I like many multitools. I received the Gerber multitool as a Christmas present and have found it very handy. The Gerber opens the pliers with a flick of the wrist, very handy if you use that quite a bit. The other utensils require opening of the tool. I posted a question on a multitool as a survival tool that had a bunch of responses - overall an excellent choice, either one.

Eric

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 01:59 AM

You guys think it is worth the $100?
Posted by: airballrad

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 02:21 AM

If they're charging $100, you're paying too much. The Looney hasn't fallen that much against the dollar since the last time I checked, has it?

You can get one in the States for $75, last I checked.

At any rate, it is an awesome tool. I have the older style which lacks a few improvements, but is still my favorite multitool. I can't say if I'd spend the money on it, though, since I stole mine from my wife.

(What? She wasn't using it!)

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 02:26 AM

It's always been $100 or so here in Canada. $100 CAD=$85 US.
It's overpriced a bit, but for what you get, the extra $20 doesn't matter in the long run.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 02:30 AM

Can't argue with that logic.

Besides; I own 4 full-size multitools, and lots of smaller ones. Who am I to question someone's expenditures? blush
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 02:31 AM

Whatever the price, go for it! I carry mine all the time, use it several times a day. I would really prefer the Surge, but it is just too darned big and heavy...
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 02:49 AM

Personally I would go for either the Charge Ti or Charge TTi

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/retired-products/charge-ti.aspx

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/retired-products/charge-xti.aspx

The 154CM steel blade is superior to the 420HC steel on the Wave model.

The Charge TTi can be had for less than $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830682-...0317&sr=1-3

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 02:55 AM

Whats the difference between the Charge TTi and the Wave? The tool list looks the same. What do I get with the better metal?
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 02:56 AM

5 Souls in family = 5 BOB
4 Cars in family = 4 Car Kits
1 Harley Davidson=1 M/C Kit
1 EDC Wave ====1

Damn, I should buy stock in the company.

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 03:05 AM

The company is not publicly traded. I think I'll get the Wave tomorrow, and get a new lens for my camera [I'm a photographer] when I get paid for a shoot I did.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 03:10 AM

Quote:
Whats the difference between the Charge TTi and the Wave? The tool list looks the same. What do I get with the better metal?

The 154CM steel blade will achieve a sharper blade and will retain its sharpness over a longer period than the 420HC steel. Its cutting ability and durability is much greater, which is an important factor for the small blades found on the these multitools.

http://cutleryscience.com/reviews/blade_materials.html#stainless

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 03:23 AM

Thanks for the info! However, I think I'll get the Wave as it is less money, and I believe it will suit my needs even with lesser steel.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 04:42 AM

Hey, Markok, welcome.

+100 on the Wave II. I have at least half a dozen Wave/Charge tools around. Carry them every day. Nothing else comes close in terms of functionality.

You need to shop around though. Don't get ripped off by the big retailers. Mountain Equipment Co-op sells the basic Wave II for $69 CAD IIRC.

(Edit: if you want the black aluminum clad Charge with the 154CM blade, Costco [Edmonton] carries them bundled with the pocket clip and a basic Leatherman folder for $100 CAD. Great deal. I couldn't resist ... I'm so freakin' weak.)
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 05:54 AM

Just another thumbs up for the Leatherman Wave. I've had one for a few years now. It does not replace a fixed blade knife, not even a quality folder (the knife blade on the Wave is a bit soft, though still usable). But as a general purpose tool/backup you'd be hard pressed to find anything nearly as practical. Besides, it's just the right size, not too big or heavy.

It does seem expensive but once you make the purchase you'll never regret it. You really do get what you paid for.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Markok765

The big difference - for me was the S30V blade on the TTi - frankly, I had some of the leathermen with the 420HC blades - I never ever carried them as my EDC, as mostly, I want a KNIFE. Every time I tried carrying one, I was disapointed, I thought of getting the Ti with the 154cm blade, but then saw the TTi was coming out, and I waited. Glad I did - the TTi became my EDC knife, and I'm very picky about knives
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 08:09 AM

The Wave is considered to be the benchmark standard for multitools.

As others have pointed out, get the 154CM or S30V steel version.

I am going to dissent on one point, and I say this as someone who has owned a Leatherman ever since Tim Leatherman brought out the original, I do not think that it is the best tool for E.D.C. For that the Victorinox tools are better.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
The Wave is considered to be the benchmark standard for multitools.

As others have pointed out, get the 154CM or S30V steel version.

I am going to dissent on one point, and I say this as someone who has owned a Leatherman ever since Tim Leatherman brought out the original, I do not think that it is the best tool for E.D.C. For that the Victorinox tools are better.

Agree!
Posted by: Stoney

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 03:30 PM

Softer metal and a gut hook on the surrated blade. Frankly I like the softer metal, its easier to sharpen with home made sharpeners (400 grit sandpaper carpet taped to just about anything flat). Just watch what you cut with the knife. If you need to cut metal the edge of the diamond/metal file serves as a hacksaw. For soft metal use the cutters on the pliers.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

I EDC A Swiss Tool Spirit after putting my wave in storage. I like the Spirit better.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 08:49 PM

Though I like LM, I find them just too heavy and bulky for EDC use. A lot depends on what you do each day and whether you'll get sufficient use of the many tools to warrant the weight and size.

I EDC a mini Rittergrip and that's sufficient for me.

When outdoors, a LM Charge Ti rides in my daypack.

I bought a LM Wave (new style) for my son when he earned his First Class rank in Scouts. He allllmost lost it at summer camp last August by leaving it sitting on a workbench in the handicraft area at the end of the day. Luckily he was one of the last to leave before dinner time, and when he went back to look it was still there.

Yes, a Scout who found it SHOULD have been trustworthy enough to turn it in, but they generally don't. Sad, but true.

Since then he carries it w/ a lanyard, but LM and lanyards don't seem to mix too well.

Ken K.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/04/08 11:18 PM

Quote:
the best tool for E.D.C. For that the Victorinox tools are better

+1. My EDC is the Spirit Plus and a CRKT M-16-01. I swap in the SwissTool or SwissChamp XLT depending on what I'll be doing. I worked my way through several of the Gerber line over the years before settling on this combination. LM forfeited consideration for daily carry when they switched to the skinny bits.
Posted by: RayW

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/05/08 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
The problem with LM is their lanyard holes on their tools are very thin and end up fraying the lanyard or just outright cutting it in half. At least that's the way it is on the Blast and New Wave I own.

Thought the lanyard hole in leathermans were sized to install a small split ring (mini key ring) and then put your lanyard through the split ring. Think that the micra has one already installed in the box.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/05/08 01:11 AM

You guys think it is worth the $100?

Don't you dare pay that much for the Wave. smile

MEC sells them at the regular price of $69.50 CDN
Even with taxes and shipping it should be less the a $100.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: Leatherman Wave? - 11/05/08 02:46 AM

yep

Wave at MEC

Even cheaper at Lebaron's