allergies to latex packaging

Posted by: kirbysdl

allergies to latex packaging - 11/02/08 11:29 PM

Hi, I asked this on EDCF but it just went off topic. Everyone from J&J to Curad to Nexcare has bandage/pad/dressing packaging that contains Latex. For example, normal cloth J&J Bandaids, Waterproof Nexcare bandages, and Curad 3x4 Telfa-like nonadherent pads.

The key is that the actualy product (e.g. the dressing) doesn't have latex, but the paper wrapper is sealed with a latex-bearing substance.

So the question is, what are the risks of using such products with a latex-sensitive person? If the wrapper is kept away from the patient, what's the risk of a reaction?

I don't know anyone with a latex allergy, but apparently they're on the rise. I was trying to keep my FAK totally latex-free, but if I have to exclude latex-bearing packaging, I'm excluding a lot of possibilities.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: allergies to latex packaging - 11/03/08 01:49 AM

i would think you could contact the companies and ask what they have in latex-free items and packaging.
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: allergies to latex packaging - 11/03/08 02:39 AM

For someone who is highly allergic to latex, it doesn't take much. I would think latex in the wrapper could make a bandage unusable to someone like that.

Re: allergies to latex packaging - 11/03/08 04:28 AM

Thanks, I have a pretty good idea for what's available in non-latex-bearing packaging, but I'm wondering what happens when an allergic person uses the other stuff. Ideally it wouldn't be a problem as long as the person handling the wrapper isn't latex-allergic.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: allergies to latex packaging - 11/03/08 11:38 AM

Greetings,

I just spent a couple of hours looking for latex free items.

Latex packaging is a no-no to me because the latex proteins have most likely contaminated the product. The latex proteins are the source of the allergic reaction.

My DW is the one who is allergic and this causes a major problem where surgery is concerned. We actually ordered latex free bandage wraps to send into surgery with her. These were used in conjunction with cotton 4x4 sponges to cover her incisions.

In regards to surgery, expect to be asked several times by nurses, anesthetists, assistants, etc about the severity of your latex allergy symptoms. The nurses seem to have a code irt this phenomenon, which means that they think you are full of crap!!!. I had a "serious chat" with each one asking, that there would be NO latex in my DW's surgery, especially with the anesthetist. "Or else we would be having a much more serious CHAT" afterwards. Yes, I was nice but very firm on that surgery.

We have had none of the complications that she experienced last time around!!

Re: allergies to latex packaging - 11/03/08 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Latex packaging is a no-no to me because the latex proteins have most likely contaminated the product.

That's useful. Thanks!
Posted by: KG2V

Re: allergies to latex packaging - 11/03/08 05:11 PM

I know that almost all the wound care stuff I get now is in latex free packaging, or if they are using latex, they state so "Product latex free, packaging contains latex" - it's usually packages that have "easy peel" - the stuff you have to rip/cut is usually latex free - I guess it's the rubber cement
Posted by: nursemike

Re: allergies to latex packaging - 11/03/08 08:33 PM

Latex-free products courtesy of the American Latex Allergy Association.

Complicated stuff, rare allergy, and very confusing for providers.