In praise of the lowly knit cap

Posted by: Steve

In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 03:39 PM

As cold weather comes again (*) with associated emergency preparedness implications, I'd like to praise the lowly knit cap. Call it what you will: watch cap, stocking cap, beanie; it delivers out of proportion to its stature.

They seem to collect over the years almost as fast as the fleece pull-overs that relatives keep giving me for Christmas. I'm stashing 1 or 2 caps in each vehicle (along with the pull-overs ;)).

The traditionalist in me prefers wool, but I have to admit the warmest and most comfortable ones seem to be acrylic. Lately fleece caps have appeared, but they don't stretch as well and so sometimes aren't as comfortable.

For ultimate compactness I'm especially pleased with a thin-fabric SmartWool cap I snagged on sale last Spring. It is small enough to go in the pocket of my windbreaker without getting in the way, and I've been glad it was there on a number of occasions. (The stuff does not scratch!)

So, what do you think about these lowly items? Do they figure much in your cold-weather gear?

Best to all,
Steve

* at least to those of us in the N. Hemisphere
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 04:30 PM

My minimalist, don't leave home without it clothing kit is a military poncho, ball cap and glove inserts.
If you can keep your brain and hands functioning, a fire or expedient shelter can be secured.

Variations include the canadian Toque, with pom pom ball. This is not an affectation, but a functional accessory. Inside a hood that pom pom acts as a bearing acnhor to lock hood with head movement. If you've tried to look at something in your peripheral vision and faced material you understand.

The famous Balaclava is another variation for extreme conditions. A great source for knitting your own is
www.hjsstudio.com/redbala.html
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 04:47 PM

The Buff Head Cyclone Buff is an interesting flexible bit of headwear - similar to the British Army Wool Headover balaclava but in windproof and breathable materials

Posted by: Tom_L

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 04:48 PM

Goes without saying. A wool cap has made my life less miserable in all sorts of environments, even in the middle of the Sahara desert...
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Variations include the canadian Toque, with pom pom ball. This is not an affectation, but a functional accessory. Inside a hood that pom pom acts as a bearing acnhor to lock hood with head movement.

Also, to remove it from your head without removing your mittens.

Jeff
Posted by: clearwater

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 05:20 PM

I like a loose weave for hunting as you can hear through it
better than a fleece or windproof version. However when it is very
cold or windy you need more.
Posted by: comms

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 09:14 PM

I don't go anywhere without a Buff. Seriously, I always carry one in my EDC.

As to a 'stocking cap' or 'knit cap'. I have my military issue, balaclava and a few others. I got a Miller Lite cap at a superbowl party in Vegas. They all come in handy and one goes in my travel bags.

A word of advice for the guys, stay away from the ones with any pom pom balls on top or pig tails to tie under your chin.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 09:18 PM

Personally, I only wear them, not really carry them (unless camping). The surplus wool ones ARE warm, and great in snow when wet, but I found they're a bit tight until broken in- causing some nice headaches until then.

Last year I found the fleece ones at the Army/Navy. Warm, lightweight, and no headaches! Even wind resistant, which I've found rare in fleece in general. Have to say, a fleece stocking cap is in my BOB and my preferred headgear for now.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 09:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the gore-tex lined version can be had?
Posted by: Stu

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
My minimalist, don't leave home without it clothing kit is a military poncho, ball cap and glove inserts.
If you can keep your brain and hands functioning, a fire or expedient shelter can be secured.

The poncho, gaiters, a "Jeep" cap, and gloves are part of my all season car kit. Amazing how warm a poncho and a couple of hand warmers can keep you if you have to "tuck" up.
Posted by: eric_2003

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 09:56 PM

My best piece of headgear period has been a 5 dollar 100% thick wool army green watch cap I got from a surplus store. Yes, my scalp line can get a bit itchy, but the wool is scratchy enough that I just use it to rub it and itch away. But the thing is warm, breathable, feels dry in constant rain, and with my head of hair seems windproof (even though its not).

I wear it all the time even just when walking the dog come October though to spring.

I just wish I had bought more when I got mine more than TEN years ago.

Dollar store at least has some thinsulate or similar ones that are cheap enough to have a few in the car and in the bug out bag. That store also has ok fleece gloves which aren't wind resistant at all but good at keeping warm.

I'll head over there today to stock up on socks and hats.

Eric
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/01/08 11:13 PM

I basically own three types of headgear:

Tilley hats (protects my bald noggin from those UV's)

Stihl chainsaw hardhat (I seem to always be running a chainsaw or weedeater)

Watch caps (keep that noggin warm in the wintertime. And can be worn under the hardhat)...
Posted by: Susan

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 02:49 AM

Keep a 12" circle cut from a mylar emergency blanket folded up inside the stocking cap. Use it as a liner for the cap -- it can make an awful lot of difference. Hard to get on neatly, though... if you're not careful, you might look like you're trying to hide your tinfoil hat.

Sue
Posted by: Canadian

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 03:08 AM

I always have mine stuffed in a pocket when heading into the woods this time of year. Today while out deer hunting it came in handy as a cold breeze kicked up just after sunrise. Switched out the ballcap with the watch cap and problem solved !

PS. Pom poms ARE optional ! LOL laugh
Posted by: wildman800

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 01:59 PM

I have carried one for years during fall, winter, and early spring,,even while stationed in Florida.

A Took (is that spelled right???) has proven useful most of the time and "extremely useful" some of the time.

Once, unexpectedly, during winter in northern Florida, I was invited (aka: go along for the ride) to exfiltrate an SF (A) Team from the beach along the northern Florida coast, with 4-5 ft breakers.

I had my M-5 Field Jacket (with bandanna, gloves, and a Took) and a wet suit. I carried my EDC and a signalling kit. We got the Team, busted our way past the breakers, and found the "Darkened Ship" with a compass.

Another truly great unexpected adventure.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 02:21 PM

I once had one, that i took to australia, and new zealand during their winter. I loved that beanie! But sadly i have misplaced it frown
but I think that my mom is getting me one for Christmas made out of merino wool, so i am kind of excited. I think its cool though, how many different names they have.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I have carried one for years during fall, winter, and early spring,,even while stationed in Florida.

A Took (is that spelled right???) has proven useful most of the time and "extremely useful" some of the time.

Canadian spelling is toque but that's OK. As long as it protected your "noggin" from heat loss. I think the Brits call it a "watch cap".

I have several around the house - the latest is a heavier weight version in hunter orange colour. Great thing to have during hunting season when you don't want to be mistaken for something else!!!
Posted by: Lono

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 03:31 PM

I thought I was smart to snag a half dozen woolrich caps for $4 each, a deep magenta color wool. I packed one away in each of our emergency supplies, they're good in rain too. They were terrific, until #1 son progressively lost 5 of them on various hikes. I swear the kid has a black hole in his pack somewhere.

Countycomm has/had a very nice fleece version on their site, it works for cold outdoors and doesn't grip too much. I'll have to keep my eye open for the smart wool version.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 05:49 PM

I don't leave home without my watch cap
Posted by: haertig

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/02/08 06:39 PM

Of the different knit caps I have, the warmest and most comfortable is one made my Carhartt (the company that makes the ranchwear clothing). It's long enough that it can be pulled down totally over my ears - I like that.
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 02:49 AM

Fleece caps deaden sound a surprising amount. Enough so that I couldn't hear skiers coming up behind me when snowboarding, so I got rid of all my fleece caps. I always use knit watch caps now, usually acrylic or acrylic-lined wool.
Posted by: Did

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 06:39 AM

Hello,

I like a lot beanie. It is true that woll could be a little itchy but with wool you could catch your hot kettle without problem, not true with synthetic.

I like US military "watch cap" they have double wall off wool and they are warm. I have one with military norms written inside and it is not itchy and well made, I have bought it in NYC.

I like also a french model from "Saint James" in Brittany (France). This "bonnet de quart" for sailor is a single wall of wool. The wool is quite special and it come from the old sailor equipment (you could have pull over extra long with this quality).
The wool is very very tight woven so its is somewhat windproof and rainproof. Little itchy on sweet head but very few volume so you could have it easily with you in your coat.

These beanies are very thin and elastic (knitted) so you could have it under or over other cap in emergencies. Not a nice look, but a warm solution.

apologize for my english.

didier.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 08:19 AM

No worries about the English. Everyone's a student. I also like the black US Army watch cap. Very sturdy, warm and frankly cool looking (if you don't mind looking like a Hollywood terrorist). The Army fleece ones are also very warm and a little more compact. But you're right, wool is far more flame and heat resistant. The watch cap and neck gaiter together will keep you warm even in very cold weather. I'm still looking for the perfect pair or combination of pairs of gloves. I just bought a pair of synthetic liner gloves and a pair of dense fleece gloves with re-enforced palms I'll be trying out together.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 01:31 PM

A watch cap is a great tool. Another good tool is a well-designed balaclava like this one. I size my watch cap to fit comfortably over a thin balaclava. This approach lets you wear either item alone or layered together. The balaclava itself can be donned then rolled up to form a light watch cap.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 02:44 PM

"...apologize for my english..."

No apology needed! Your English is much much better than my French...
Posted by: TomApple

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 04:49 PM

The most righteous knit wool caps are made by Kirstie Buckland in the UK.

Quality Caps

I had the opportunity to meet her in the 1990's when she was visiting the US. I was lucky enough to get her first "Kravic" style cap based on an 18th century original found in an excavated ship hull in Old Slip, NY. Besides owning a couple of the classic "Monmouth" caps.

These caps are well knitted and fulled such that you can wear them in the worst of weather.

They are not cheap, but will last forever and will be around for your descendants to wear.

Tom
Posted by: Pansy

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 10:27 PM

Can anyone talk about the properties of acrylic? Is it similar to wool? I'm specifically concerned about how it performs when wet. It does seem to be more comfortable than wool, but at what cost.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Pansy
Can anyone talk about the properties of acrylic? Is it similar to wool? I'm specifically concerned about how it performs when wet. It does seem to be more comfortable than wool, but at what cost.

Depends on the particular artificial fiber used. Very generally speaking, acrylic knit beanies are the low-cost, mass-market version of a watch cap. It will be lighter and less warm than wool or synthetic fleece. it may have a looser knit pattern, and offer essentially no resistance to wind. But is should be cheaper to buy, easier to wash frequently, and quite durable. It will absorb and hold less water, and may dry quicker, but it is likely to be far less warm when it is wet than wool or some better synthetics.

It should be fine for the occasional, casual user just looking for a bit of additional warmth. For the outdoorsman, or anyone who really needs to stay warm to stay alive or keep working in foul, cold weather, invest in a better product.

Jeff
Posted by: Russ

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 11:05 PM

I have quite a few watch caps/beanies. I keep two in my flight bag, one in wool and one in nomex. Both are there for bad times, not regular use. For routine use, one of my favorite beanies is the Wigwam Thermolite Cap -- comfortable, warm & washes easily. Don't know how well it would perform when really wet, but it would probably dry pretty quick.
Posted by: Pansy

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 11:27 PM

Thank You Jeff, that is exactly the information I was looking for.
Posted by: haertig

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 11:39 PM

I have had a few wool ski caps over the years. They are warm, but I must look like some kind of psycho when I come off the hill, throw off my cap, and start scratching my head like a deranged madman!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/03/08 11:46 PM

Tu parle Anglais bon. Much better than my rarely used French. I am glad that you are giving us your opinions and experience.

Vive la France!!!!
Posted by: Susan

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/04/08 12:59 AM

"...I must look like some kind of psycho when I come off the hill, throw off my cap, and start scratching my head like a deranged madman!"

Two things to remember about wool.

1. Never buy a product unless it is clearly labeled "Virgin Wool". This is new wool, fresh from the sheep, it is NOT an indication of what the sheep are doing at night. All other wool is reused wool; the fibers have been cut and all those cut ends are what makes you itch. True wool allergies are rare; most people who think they are allergic are wearing "old" wool or incorrectly washed wool.

2. Take care of your wool by washing it correctly. Wool is hair, so treat it like hair. Wash your woolens in cool or tepid water with a decent shampoo. Soak and squeeze, don't rub or scrub. Rinse with clear water, and preferably with a decent hair conditioner. I use Finesse shampoo and conditioner for both my hair and my woolens, but a similar type is fine. Since wool is hair, it doesn't absorb water, and it quick to dry. Air-drying is best, but I dry my wool blankets in the dryer on Low, for only 10 minutes or so (queen size). If they get rolled up into a ball and the center is still damp, fluff it out and add 5 minutes of drying time.

3. If you have some nice, soft, virgin wool, and want to make it hard and itchy to give it as a gift to someone you hate, be sure to wash it in hot water with a harsh laundry detergent, then dry it in a hot dryer for 40 minutes. Wear gloves when you take it out to gift-wrap it. smirk

Sue
Posted by: bluenorth

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/04/08 02:37 AM

I picked up one of these yesterday:

http://www.canada-goose.com/103pr_merino_wool_beanie.htm

Merino wool with a polyester lining. Feels very nice. Maybe it's the best of both worlds (synthetic/wool).
[sorry about the huge image]
Posted by: kirbysdl

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/04/08 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: comms
I don't go anywhere without a Buff. Seriously, I always carry one in my EDC.

Hear hear. The basic version can't compare to a heavy beanie or balaclava, but as an EDC item that will also be useful in the other three seasons, it can't be beat. Watch the crazy man in the first video here:
http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/04/08 04:57 PM

Ditto on the buff- I have 3 different colors, from pseudo camo to bandanna paisley to black. They are form fitting, can be neck gaiter, attitude hat, eye-cover, balaclava, it's the best.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/05/08 06:29 PM

I find that I prefer fleece to the knit types. It's softer and more comfortable, and snow "bonds" less with it in my experience if I fall when I'm out XC skiing or snowshoeing. I think it's also quite a bit lighter. I find that Windstopper type fleece blocks the sound so much that I'm not even willing to wear it. Very uncomfortable feeling.

In high winds, regular fleece doesn't cut it, but GoreTex hat with fleece lining works well (and also conveniently answers a question posted earlier).

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the gore-tex lined version can be had?
I've got something like this http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detai...845524442622388 It fits nicely over my fleece hat and does well when it's rainy, extremely cold, or windy.

Posted by: eric_2003

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/05/08 11:46 PM

Speaking of the fleece and windbloc fleece etc, I found a great post here on soft shells, and his reviews of other types of gear is great too. Has a nice post on wool too.

http://www.psychovertical.com/?thebestsoftshell

Eric
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/06/08 12:18 AM

Great link. Thanks!
Posted by: bigmbogo

Re: In praise of the lowly knit cap - 11/11/08 03:51 AM

After a search for the perfect classic wool watch cap, and seeing only itchy cheap mil-surp ones, I finally found a really nice Filson one. It's really thick, and soft, and doesn't itch a bit. It's very comfortable. I paid some stupid amount of dough for it, like $40 or something, but it is a real pleasure to wear, and looks like it will last forever.

David