On Waterproofing Matches

Posted by: RichInChrist

On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 03:21 AM

The fire-steels and spark-lite work fine but I also like to have some waterproof strike-anywhere matches on hand, and have a question about them. I have, as recommended in several places, waterproofed them by dipping them in melted wax. I have also "sleeved" them in corrugated cardboard, then dipped them, to make fairly effective self-lighting fire-starters. Either way works great but only if I use them within a couple of months. It is another story, though, if I store them away for a year or so. I tried using some I had stashed away in an emergency kit not too long ago and when I tried to strike them, the match-heads just kind of smeared apart. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a better way to waterproof these matches so that they are good for the long term?

Thanks.
Posted by: BobS

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 03:37 AM

Instead of dipping each match in wax, drill several holes in a piece of wood so the matches stand up, spray them with polyurethane. After the polyurethane is dry, you have waterproof matches that take up much less space then ones coated with wax. And they are much less messy on a hot summer day sitting in a car trunk then wax coated matches that melt all over. Also they don’t seem to degrade as much.

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 03:50 AM

Any spray paint will work, it doesn’t have to be polyurethane. It’s just that matches look funny if painted any color other then clear.

PS: Don’t use a water based spray paint.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 07:02 AM

The best waterproofer that I have come across is ladies nail varnish. Colour of your choice.

It has four advantages:

1) Easy to obtain.

2) Easy to apply.

3) Durable.

4) Flammable when ignited. This enhances the burn time of the match.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 07:59 AM

I have never found strike-anywhere matches to be functional in a long-term scenario.

Even sealed in a jar, the striking surface turns to mush in no time at all.

It's the "safety matches" that last and last. I do like the lifeboat style matches for their long-burning head.

But ... believe it or not ... it's the cheapo paper matches from the gas station that survive longest. Like 10 years or more, regardless of humidity. If they're old, dry them out in the sun. Then cut out four or six, including the base, fold them together and strike 'em up. Away they go. Who the heck knew?
Posted by: AROTC

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 10:35 AM

+1 on clear nail polish. Very effective. Although somewhat time consuming, not any more then dipping in wax.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 07:44 PM

I dip in shellac. That has worked very well for me.

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 07:48 PM

Example....

I have had shellac dipped matches in my matchcases for years with no issues. Wax dipped ones have caused me problems.

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Schwert
Example....

I have had shellac dipped matches in my matchcases for years with no issues. Wax dipped ones have caused me problems.

Wow somebody that has as many match safes as I do….

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 09:12 PM

Matchcases are sort of another one of my addictions....

This is only a few of them....the old EverDry on the left was my Grandfathers. That one sort of started the chain of events that lead up to a bag full of K&M's as the ultimate matchcase. grin

Posted by: ironraven

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/20/08 09:31 PM

Shellac. I've had them last for several years after multiple dippings in shellac. Head first, let them dry, butt first, repeat, so the tips and butts have at least 3 coats, and most of the shaft has 6. Takes a few days, and it works best if the humidity is low, but it makes a great match.
Posted by: justmeagain

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/22/08 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Schwert
Matchcases are sort of another one of my addictions....

This is only a few of them....the old EverDry on the left was my Grandfathers. That one sort of started the chain of events that lead up to a bag full of K&M's as the ultimate matchcase. grin

These are in fact addicting. I have several K&M, a marbles, an everdry, a BSA and the plastic military version. What is the silver one in your photo, second from left?
Posted by: big_al

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/22/08 07:37 PM

Schwert:
Which way is NORTH??? (referring to the picture of your match cases)

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/22/08 07:50 PM

grin

Up. cool

Those are laying on a table with a metal plate under the top. The case on the far left was an original K&M and its compass is off the pin, but otherwise those all do work if they are not on a metal desk.
Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/22/08 11:42 PM

What's the advantage of matches over a cheap disposable lighter? For the same size and weight of about 15 matches, you could have 1000's of lights from a bic, and probably 1000's more firestarting sparks after the gas runs out. Plus it's waterproof and almost indestructable (in normal use)

The only problem I've had with lighters is that I lose them way before they ever run out.

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/23/08 12:17 AM

Lighters require it be warm enough for the butane to vaporize.
Posted by: big_al

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/23/08 01:47 AM

It is true that there is many way to start a fire without a match. But why do you think they are still here after 100+ years? When all else is said and done, they still work. smile
Posted by: AROTC

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/23/08 04:57 AM

Matches light when cold. You can count exactly how many matches you have. You can give matches to some one. That is, you can hand someone ten matches and now you both have a fire starter. Matches seem to store better. Flints will rust, fuel will leak. But matches waterproofed with a single coat of clear nail polish and stored in a match case will last years. Matches can be fired out of a BB gun at a brick wall for a fun incendiary round. A whole bundle of matches can be lit at once for an instant larger flame than a single match or light creates, while still remaining more compact and versatile then a road flare. Matches can be trimmed down to an inch or less for inclusion in a pocket sized kit in a tin. A piece of highly flammable tinder can be held with a match while striking in high wind, so the initial flare up instantly lights it.

I would say overall, matches advantage over a cheap lighter are their versatility.
Posted by: Susan

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/23/08 06:43 PM

Everyone knows how to use a match. I once bought a childproof lighter and couldn't figure out how to use it. blush And I didn't have a child around to show me how.

How complicated is too complicated when you're hypothermic and can't think well and don't have much manual dexerity? If you can grab and move your hand, you can light a match.

Backup to your backup.

Sue
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/23/08 10:14 PM

A hypothermic person can have SEVERE loss of coordination and sensation in their hands.

Imagine trying to strike a match or flick a bic while wearing boxing gloves.

A Yankee friend of mine does a lot of winter hiking, snowmobiling, etc. He had one of those fireplace lighters with the long neck and and a trigger to light it. He epoxied a big fat knob atop the safety, cut off the trigger guard and put it in a ziplock baggie. He said he figured if he couldn't manage to squeeze the trigger, he could at least just grasp it and push the trigger against the edge of his boot or something to light it.

Jeff
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/24/08 03:00 AM

Thanks for the shellac idea for matches. I need to try that.

Regarding butane lighters in cold: I can't recall a single instance where I couldn't get one to light, even in very cold conditions. Warm it a little in your hand or pocket, give it a vigorous shake, and it will go.

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/24/08 09:37 PM

Not a bad tip. Maybe not a big nob, but maybe push a closed SAK in there or a stick and push down.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/24/08 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Everyone knows how to use a match.
No they don't! There's a classic game where you give someone 3 matches and tell them to start a fire. You might be surprised how many fail.

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/25/08 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
That's right. There's a pretty specific way to light and hold a match when starting a fire, but everyone on this board already knows that......I hope.

Oh, sure. We ALL know that. But since I, like most everybody here, always start my fires with a bow drill crafted from wood found on site, could you refresh my memory?

Jeff
Posted by: raptor

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/25/08 01:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbSMplJ6g4 (2:48)

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/25/08 10:16 PM

I'm not sure I'd agree there is only one way. You just have (a) keep it out of the wind and (b) try not to set your beard on fire.

Re: On Waterproofing Matches - 10/27/08 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: raptor

Thanks. Good basic advice there. I was afraid I was missing out on some fancy trick everybody else already knew!

Jeff