Urban Survival in China

Posted by: clarktx

Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 12:09 AM

Hello All,

I'm headed to China in the near future. As in: I have a plane ticket and am actively preparing to go before Xmas.

I will be spending most of the trip in southern China.

I want to travel light, but also prepared. I will always be in urban situations.

Even though I want to travel light, I anticipate bringing 1 checked bag so that I can bring mundane items that are probably not going to make it through security.

I was going to pack
1) one of my many Ritter PSKs
2) my backpacking FAK
3) a small multitool. This will be the squirt or the micra, haven't decided. Maybe I'll take both.
4) bring some bottled water from USA.
5) bring some energy bars from USA.
After I leave the airport, these will be on my person or in my backpack with me at all times (which will have a lock on it).

In addition I will have regular traveler fare, but of course, if my luggage is "lost" after arrival then that's that.

When I arrive, I will be given a cell phone that is usable throughout China but will probably be worthless for calling USA. Not that anyone in USA could help me anyway but I do have contacts in China that I can call in a worst case scenario. Although many of them will likely be 12h away by bus.

I've asked a couple people who have gone to China recently what to take. I am putting their answers here for discussion, but the fact that I put them is not a validation that I think they are the bees knees. Just for discussion. The answers included:

1) Purell
2) A small bottle of iodine (for quickly applying to any small abrasions or incisions)
3) Pocket sized toilet paper
4) Antibacterial wipes
5) Those froo froo buttwipes for adults (individual was assuming that showering "sanity" might not always be possible).
6) Leather gloves, casual looking
7) Money belt
8) Immodium AD

I was also wondering if I should get a face mask and/or a steripen... and well, actually the list of things I could bring could be quite lengthy.

Can I have a roll call of things that you guys think would be good? I can kinda guess what the most important are by the number of times they are mentioned. I would prefer it to be things I could keep in my backpack, just in case my luggage walks off.

(As a side note I have/am getting the full spectrum of vaccinations and have some just-in-case-Cipro on order as well.)
Posted by: BOD

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 12:40 AM

That's an okay list.

Instead of a face mask get, and wear, a couple of big bandanas to act as a filter when you can't stand some of the smells. Unless you grew up on afarm you are likely to be overwhelmed at times. A dab of eau de Cologne on the fabric from time to time may help too.

Since you are an American and Texan they'll think the bandana is national dress.

A money belt is old hat, but a useful decoy, put a few bills underneath the insole of your shoes for real emergency funds.

Be cautious but not be too afraid of eating local food. Go for the soups and you probably won't need the Immodium.

If ordering local bottle water make sure the bottle is brought to you unopened and you open it not the waiter. Mime what you want and reject it if you done get it done your way.

My wife manged to live and travel all over China for 4 years and dragged me and our one year old from North to South with few problems 12 years ago. Things should be easier nowadays.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: BOD
Since you are an American and Texan they'll think the bandana is national dress.

Good tip, a bandanna is more multipurpose.

A money belt is old hat, but a useful decoy, put a few bills underneath the insole of your shoes for real emergency funds.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines also. I haven't been able to think of anything truly original as an 'on person' place to stash money. If someone really has the time, I figure they can get everything.

Be cautious but not be too afraid of eating local food. Go for the soups and you probably won't need the Immodium.

Ok, didn't think of that. Thanks for the tips, sounds like you know whereof you speak.
Posted by: Yuccahead

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 05:16 AM

I have never been to China but we import from there and my business partner has spent a lot of time there. These are some of the things I've picked up from him and others.
Generally, I'd take whatever you would take on a first trip to a large US city plus the stuff that you feel helps you in a foreign country like a phrase book, consulate contact info and so on.

We do all our voice communication to and from China using Skype. Some of the neater ways you can use Skype are not available for China but it still may be worth investigating for your trip. Also, I believe most Chinese cell phones don't have voice mail. Everyone texts instead. From what I recall, most Chinese use their cell phones almost exclusively for texting.

This may sound a little geeky but all of your electronic communication in, to and from China can be monitored by Chinese intelligence. During the Olympics, I recall seeing a security expert on TV saying that all US visitors, when not using their cell phone, should remove the battery. Even when off, it will be remotely turned on and used as a listening device. He was a security expert so perhaps he was more than a little paranoid or just more likely to be of interest. Their interest in you will depend on who you are and what you are doing there.

I don't know where or why (business, pleasure) you are going but around the coast (Shanghai, Guanghzou, Shenzen etc.,) you will find it extremely urbanized and very modern. Some of these cities are bigger and much more modern than New York. I wouldn't worry that much about food poisoning unless you are going to a wedding. Still, I'd take the Imodium. From what I've read when doing research on importing some food products (and consequently food poisoning in China), I would never eat at a Chinese wedding. Of course, I wouldn't drink the milk either.... From everything I've heard, Chinese food is generally very very good and of course very different from the Americanized Chinese food you get here.

Finally, when I find myself coming up out of strange NY subway stations or really any strange train station, I rarely know which way is which and if I'm walking somewhere from the station, I find it helps to have a small compass just to orient the map and the brain.
Posted by: frediver

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 07:21 AM

Katadyn water purification tabs, 2 pks.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 07:29 AM

you already mentioned toiletpaper, make sure you take enough. Public restrooms are not always supplied with TP.

Make sure you carry your valuables safely. Lots of thiefs, they cut pockets open and steel pretty much everywhere. Even in hospitals.

Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 01:49 PM

ClarkTx,

I've never been to China, but I have done quite a bit of travel, in both the first and third world, and everything in between. Off the top of my head, here's some of the things I'd never be caught without on a long trip, or even a short one to a developing country (please note, I'm not a doctor, so check my med recommendations with one before you follow them!):

1) Notebook and Pen. You never know when you'll come across an amusing experience that you want to immortalize for the ages. Plus it gives you a may to preserve your thoughts and experiences when they are fresh, so that you can share them with us when you get back!
2) Purell. You've got that on your list already, but it's really helpful!
3) Pepto-Bismol. Take a dose if right after you eat something questionable, and it may help to avoid stomach troubles. The liquid is a pain to pack, but the pills or chewables are easy.
4) Benedryl. Works as an antihistamine for allergies (obviously) but also can double as a sleeping pill and anti-motion sickness med.
5) Ibuprofen. My favorite OTC painkiller. Taking it with you sure beats trying to find it locally when you need it (I have a funny story about trying to buy naproxen in an Australian pharmacy when I had severe back pain. It would have been much easier if I'd brought some from home!). The stress of changing timezones, lack of sleep, foreign culture, etc. can often lead to a headache, in additional to the regular muscle aches of spending all day on my feet as a tourist.
6) Codeine. I'm sure that this will be controversial to some, but I have found it to be very useful. It works as a painkiller when ibuprofen is not enough, but also as a cough suppressant and anti-diarrheal as well. Be careful to have a good prescription when crossing borders.
7) Cipro. Probably overused, but all the research I did shows that it does help against stomach bugs picked up through food.
8) Immodium. Already on your list. The few times I've needed to use it, it's always been quite unpleasant. If you've got the time and access to clean water, letting traveler's diarrhea run it's course is probably a better option.
9) Oral rehydration salts. These come in a compact packet, and if the pepto, cipro, and immodium don’t work, can make the difference between an unpleasant time and a trip to the (questionable) hospital. Always seemed like cheap insurance to me and really helped out a companion once.
10) Pocket-sized camera. I love my digital SLR, but the best photos often show up when I don't want to lug it around.
11) A sense of humor. VERY IMPORTANT!

A final tip I've found very useful when traveling in countries where I not only don’t speak the language but can't even read the writing: Have your hotel/guesthouse write down its name and address in local characters on a card for you. If you need to, you can just hand the card to a taxi driver and he should be able to figure out where to take you, even if you can't otherwise communicate.

There's a lot more travel advice in my head, but this is too long already. Have a great trip!
Posted by: RainHiker

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 04:01 PM

Bring good shoes everyone is smaller than you and finding shoes could be challenging. At least it was for me when I went to the Philippines. I don't know the weather but I would bring hiking boots and a pair of sandals(Chaco is a good brand).
Posted by: pentium

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 04:15 PM

Having traveled in China many times and being married to a Chinese woman, perhaps I can offer up some advice. The China of today is nothing like the China of ten years ago. The major cities are similar to any modern city of the world. You probably will come back to the USA and think how behind the times we are technologically-speaking. If you travel into the countryside or to small villages of southern China, conditions are improving, but fortunately much of the old China remains to be enjoyed and explored.

First off, the Chinese people (especially outside the big cities) are kind, patient and curious toward Americans. “Pure in heart” may be the best way to describe the average Chinese person. If you go far enough off the beaten track, it is likely you will be the first American they have ever seen! Above all else, learn a few words of Chinese. These phrases will take you a long way:

Hello, Goodbye, Thank you, How much (is it)?, I want., No want., (Just)looking. (A phrase that will get you out of many potentially awkward situations.) If you get stuck, find a teenager. English is taught at most schools and children love to practice speaking with a real live American.

There is no need to haul water to China or water purifiers. Safe, bottled water is sold everywhere for next to nothing and your favorite soft drink can always be found. Yes, sometimes the water in hotel bathrooms is not potable, but this has never posed a problem.

Have no concerns of eating at restaurants. A quick peek in the window and exercising some common sense will tell you if your health may be at risk by dining there. I have never once gotten food poisoning in China. However, do avoid street vendors selling fast food. Finding breakfast you're familiar with is difficult. In China, stock up your hotel room with snack bars and locally grown fruit for breakfast.

Pack a good first aid kit in your suitcase containing the basic supplies, including an assortment of OTC drugs. I have yet to find the equivalent of a drugstore or pharmacy in China.

What to carry in your pockets? This is all you will need:

A cheat sheet with key Chinese phrases on it written in English and Chinese characters. A Leatherman micra is always handy. Photocopies of your passport (leave original in hotel safe.) The business card from your hotel’s front desk. Present it to a taxi driver and he immediately knows where you want to go. Lastly, a good map of the area is essential.

Good luck and don’t worry! Traveling in China is fun, safe and a great adventure.
Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 04:34 PM

I go to China a few times a year, in fact I'm headed there again next week.

What part of China are you going to? If you're going to be in one of the main cities, then you really have nothing to worry about. They are just as modern as any city in the US. Even in some of the smaller areas, it's not that bad. Violent (confrontational) crime isn't that common over there, what you proably have to worry about it stuff like pickpocketing or scams.

Sanitation is probably the main concern. Always carry TP and some hand cleanser, and if you have a sensitive stomach, it's recommended to only use boiled water when brushing your teeth. Some of the hotel will keep thermoses of boiled water specifically for that purpose. I dunno, I use the tap water and I also eat from the street vendors, and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).

Other than that, just take the usual travel precautions and you'll be fine. If you've never been there before, you might have to get used to their customs, they may seem strange at first. For one thing, people in China don't really wait in line, you just form one large group and shove your way to the front. That's just how it is, you'll get used to it.

Also, they tend to have much smaller personal boundries, meaning they will get up much closer to you when talking, or just standing around. People from the US probably aren't used to it, and it makes them uncomfortable.

And if you go to the street markets, especially touristy ones, the vendors are very, very agressive, probably the most aggressive ones I've ever encountered anywhere. They will literally grab people by the shirt and pull them back to the stores, or follow them down the street trying to make a deal. If you ignore them they will eventally go away.

Spitting on the streets used to be a very common practice there, but since the Olympics they've tried to curtail that with signs and warnings. Still, a lot of the older generation is just used to doing it, so you'll probably see people still spitting around you.

Posted by: Arney

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: pentium
The China of today is nothing like the China of ten years ago.

How true, pentium. Although I have been to China, that was a little over ten years ago and much of what I saw and experienced in Beijing, Xian, and Shanghai probably just doesn't apply anymore which is why I've been hesitant to jump right in with my China travel suggestions.

It saddens me a little to think about how much Beijing, in particular, has changed in just the past 5 years in preparation for the Olympics. I have heard that all the old neighborhoods (the Chinese word escapes me at the moment) were all bulldozed before the Olympics. And many old storefronts had fake facades put up in front of them during the Games so foreigners wouldn't see them and think that everything in Beijing is brand new.

It's also weird--I had to be halfway around the world, way out in dusty Xian, to see the fabled terra cotta army at the original excavation site. Now, there's an exhibit of some of those same statues right here in Orange County. The world really is getting smaller!
Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney

It saddens me a little to think about how much Beijing, in particular, has changed in just the past 5 years in preparation for the Olympics. I have heard that all the old neighborhoods (the Chinese word escapes me at the moment) were all bulldozed before the Olympics. And many old storefronts had fake facades put up in front of them during the Games so foreigners wouldn't see them and think that everything in Beijing is brand new.

You bring up a good point. With the Olympics, everything in Beijing has gone through a complete makeover. I've been going there regularly for a few years, but even in that timespan the city has changed dramatically. Many of the old Hutongs have been destroyed to make way for new buildings, and the ones that are left have turned into a tourist attraction. In some places it's almost like going to Disneyland, everything starts to look like a set because they're brand new buildings built to look like the old ones they demolished. I feel very fortunate to have seen some of the original settings, but kinda sad because it's like watching a species become extinct.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 05:00 PM

Everything you've listed sounds good.

You may want a neck pouch for your papers/passport. Some people like a fanny pack with a steel cable in the waist band to keep papers close at hand. Be VERY careful if you take the fanny pack off in the bathroom or on the plane. I've seen more than one travel companion lose things that way.

+1 on the small compass. Coming out of subway stations in Korea taught me that one.

A little mini squeeze light around the neck is handy and can be combined with the above compass. I've also got a whistle on mine neck lanyard. I hear street crime in China isn't bad, but you never know...

I'd bring the Imodium AD, but if your MD has something better that he can Rx you, go for it. A decongestant is good. Perhaps something for allergies.

Sun screen, chapstick, and hand cream.

A card with the name and address (in Chinese) of where you're staying is excellent. Also add to it phone numbers and email addr's of contacts. Giving a copy of your list of your contacts to someone stateside as well as your itinerary is a good idea.

Photocopy all your credit cards, passport, etc. Take a set of the copies with you (stored separately from the originals), and leave a second copy with someone stateside that you can contact in an emergency.

In addition to TP, a small bar of soap in a baggie. Maybe china is as modern as they say, but I've found having my own soap and TP handy. I can use a bandanna as a hand towel. I actually bring two bandannas: one "dirty" and one "clean" that I can use for differing applications.

Spare pair of eyeglasses if you wear 'em. If you wear contacts, having a pair of eyeglasses along as a backup is a good idea.

Sleeping pills. Possibly controversial, but I've found them useful.

Soft foam ear plugs. Different societies have different standards for "acceptable noise." I like the conical-shaped ones; the cylindrical ones hurt my ears. Could be a problem if you can't hear a fire alarm, but I've used them a lot on buses and trains and such.

Eye shades and small inflatable pillow. Not essentials to be sure, but a little sleep can be a godsend. I have no affiliation with REI, but I've used and like: http://www.rei.com/product/763637

Don't know your exact circumstances, but one of those little immersion heaters can be nice provided that you can get the appropriate electrical converter. Speaking of which, check on the electricity where you'll be going in terms of voltages and such. The ability to recharge cameras, shavers, cell phones, lap tops, etc. isn't a given.

+1 on something in the Ibuprofen (Advil) class although I prefer Naproxen Sodium (Aleve). Aleve lasts 12 hours whereas Advil lasts 6. If I really have an achy back, sore knee or what have you, I can take two tablets before bed and have the anti-inflammatory properties carry on all night.

Clothesline. In humid climates, sometimes having some clothesline so that you can dry things out is invaluable, although maybe not as important if you're going in December. Still, sometimes it's nice to be able to "rinse and wring" and hang socks and such to dry. A small travel shampoo sized bottle of detergent can be handy.

Whatever maps and guidebooks that you can get here that are good.

Sometimes it's good to have enough money in the local currency on hand before you hit the ground that you can buy a snack or pay cab fare. It's worth researching where to get the best exchange rate (your credit card, an in-country bank, your hotel, airport exchange, etc.). In Japan, the post office was really good.

Bug juice. Sounds like you won't need it, but you never know. I've been caught w/o it and regretted it.

Just some thoughts.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 06:54 PM

Arney,

Sadly, the hootongs of Beijing are little more than a memory. My fondest memories of China are walking the hootongs of BJ 10 years ago and being followed by children, giggling and pointing at my hairy legs. Now in their place stand sky scrapers.

Oh, I forgot to mention something else to pack - a good LED flashlight. Although uncommon, power outages do occur (world wide) and China is always short on electrical power. Having a long lasting flashlight on hand will make life much better if the power should ever go out.
Posted by: Ian

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 07:26 PM

One of these:

http://www.pocketcomms.co.uk/

Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 10:02 PM

Wouldn't bother with water. You can't pack enough to make any difference. A filter bottle might be a better idea.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Wouldn't bother with water. You can't pack enough to make any difference. A filter bottle might be a better idea.
I was kind of wondering that myself. A steri-pen might be very cool. You can drink right out of the glasses at a restaurant. Just tell them it's a high-tech automated stirrer. smile

HJ

P.S. Not sure if it would work on ice.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
P.S. Not sure if it would work on ice.

Ice! On my trip to China, we didn't have a single cold beverage for the entire trip and this was in the summer. As a Yank, drinking room temperature beer took a little getting used to. And it certainly didn't seem to quench our thirsts as well as a cold one. Neither did room temperature Coke.

I imagine that the beverage situation has changed a lot since then.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 10:20 PM

lol. Sorry, that last remark is more based on my trips to Mexico than on my trips to the far east. Many times in Mexico, I've been warned to ask for coke w/o ice. The coke is manufactured under controlled conditions, but the ice? Who knows. Not sure what the ice situation is in china. In the far east, I never worried about what I drank at restaurants although I wouldn't drink the tap water were I you.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Not sure what the ice situation is in china.

Actually, even with a higher standard of living, I wouldn't be surprised if very cold or iced beverages are still not that common. (Someone with more recent experience can let us know) It's a cultural thing. Maybe it's not a big deal with the younger generation anymore, but traditionally Chinese don't drink cold beverages anyway. In our hotel room, we would always find a thermos bottle of hot water.

There's also this interesting idea about how you will sweat less in hot weather if you drink hot beverages and keep your body temperature closer to the outside temperature. Interesting idea, but after a long, hot day of sightseeing, the last thing we wanted was a nice cup of hot water! grin
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 11:20 PM

I got a filter bottle when I went to China.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/katadyn-e...;utm_medium=cpc

This one is a 3 stage--filters, iodizes, charcoal.

Look like a regular water bottle so you can even dump your
glass of water from the cafe in it and it looks like you
are just saving it for later.

I had someone write "water filter" in Chinese on the outside
with a felt marker so the customs agents would know what it
was.

The good thing about it is you have instant water to drink,
the down side is it take a little bit of force to suck or
squeeze out the water.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/20/08 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
This may sound a little geeky but all of your electronic communication in, to and from China can be monitored by Chinese intelligence.

I've heard this also and I believe it. And, its their country, their government, and their internet infrastructure. I won't deign to tell them whats right and whats wrong. I'm bringing a memory stick with me and will have a laptop waiting when I get there. I might not bring the memory stick home, the only time I got a memory stick from a Chinese vendor with some data, it had a virus on it. Who would have thought.

I've been to Taiwan before, as well as other countries. But I've been putting this trip off for quite a while.

Good points, thanks.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
What part of China are you going to?

Fly into HK. Shenzhen, major electronics area. Guangdong for a few hours to visit a vendor who just can't get a product right no matter what we do. Then fly to Shanghai, run to Hangzhou, Zhenjiang, and Ningbo. And someplace called the Wiyu market in that district.

I will have a person travelling with me the whole time. She's been with the company 2 years. A native speaker, whose spoken English is not great. She will be invaluable.

When I went to Taiwan a few years ago, I did't prepare much at all. Even ate some stuff from a street vendor. Everything was fine. I feel a bit differently these days. Preparedness means you have a lot of stuff you probably won't use, but if you need it, it can turn your day from bad to good. I'd rather have the good days.

I really appreciate the feedback, and I'm so glad I asked. Each of you is providing valuable insights or thought provoking suggestions. Urban survival in the USA is one thing, but urban survival in a foreign country is a bit more complex.

Really, thanks a lot.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 12:50 AM

Quote:
I imagine that the beverage situation has changed a lot since then.

Not as recently as 2007. On the plus side, I no longer mind warm Cokes.

-Blast

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 01:12 AM

The pocketcomms are cool if there was a way to get them locally. Not sure if I would commit the money but I think its a useful item for a subset of travelers.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 02:43 AM

One thing I would do before I went was buy one of the initial versions of Pimsleur Mandarin, so I knew something of the language. I know Mandarin is not the only language, but it is the "common language," which is what it is called when speaking Mandarin (pronounced something like PO-tung-wa). In Mandarin, you really need to hear the words, because it's tonal. If one wrote out the word for the "to be" verb and wrote out how to say the number ten for an English speaker, there would not be much difference in what was written.

In addition to the other first aid items on your lst, I'd add some athletic tape. It has many uses. I'd also make sure to carry some antihistamine. You are in a strange environment, do not know the things you make be in contact with, and you may be allergic to something new.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 11:21 AM

You are getting some very good feedback! The people who have traveled in China are giving great insight into this country's culture. The underlying message is that China is not the 3rd world it was a decade ago. It's a thriving, sophisticated culture and any opportnity you have to visit and explore the less-traveled villages and countryside should be taken before it too disappears under pavement and skyscrapers.

Arney make me laugh - bring ice! He's spot on right. The Chinese never put ice in their drinks. My wife says it messes with the Chi or something like that. The Chinese have never had the best municipal water system, so they needed to boil the water before drinking it. Someone commented on hot water thermos being in hotel rooms. Although rapidly being replaced with bottled water, you can still find the old thermos in some places. Many Chinese will only drink plain hot water. Nonetheless, refrigerated beverages are becoming common enough to satisfy your thirst.

In restaurants, the waitress will bring hot water to the table to rinse your cups and silverware with (to kill the germs).

The idea of conveniently carrying scans of all your important documents on a memory stick is a great idea. It certainly merits consideration.

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: pentium
My wife says it messes with the Chi or something like that.

A guy I know told me that you should always close the lid on the toilet before you flush, otherwise your Chi will go down with "it". He was very serious. I told him I was looking for a way to get rid of Chi anyway, there's always too much of it floating around here... Now I have a reason to smile when I flush. Gettin' rid of that pesky Chi.

I've heard in China they do away with that problem by not having the toilet or the flushing. I'll be sure to include Chi levels in the report.

I really wish there was a video camera I could mount on my hat that had excellent motion compensation, so as I walked the picture would not be bob bob bobbin along. A detachable lens system with something unobtrusive would be perfect. Any thoughts on that? Since you guys are rockin the mic already?
Posted by: NAro

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 04:07 PM

"A small bottle of iodine (for quickly applying to any small abrasions or incisions"

Nope. Never. There are numerous threads regarding wound cleaning. Iodine is NOT recommended.

One thing I'd be certain to bring is a strong resolve to do things THEIR WAY in their country. I hate being abroad and running into other Americans trying to make the locals do things the way we do. Why not just stay at home. I say enjoy the differences and look for them.
Posted by: Andy

Re: Urban Survival in China - 10/21/08 04:30 PM

Clark,

Follow this link to find a free audio book taken from letters written by my brother Pete to his family and friends while spending a year in China teaching English to college students. While it won't help you find the best things to take with you I think you will find his descriptions of China and its young students funny and informative.

Best wishes for a safe and profitable trip.

Andy