small engine oil

Posted by: andre

small engine oil - 10/15/08 07:46 PM

Hi

I'm the owner of a 4 h.p. johnson outboard motor and must use 1:100 mixed synthetic oil with it. Would like to know if i may use 1:50 synthetic oil and dilute the result by two to obtain 1:100. Because my chainsaws i have a lot of 1:50.

Thanks
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: small engine oil - 10/15/08 09:57 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!

You should be able to, 4 cycle oil is 4 cycle oil. As long as the mix is correct you should be good to go...

I meant 2 cycle. Duh...
Posted by: RayW

Re: small engine oil - 10/16/08 12:11 AM

As long as your outboard is air cooled you should be able to. If if the outboard is water cooled the oil is supposed to be rated for use in a water cooled engine. The operating temps are different and the air cooled oil is supposed to crud up the engine faster than the water cooled oil. And it has been a long time since i have played with outboards so there may be some new magic oil that will work in both but i havn't heard about it.
Posted by: andre

Re: small engine oil - 10/16/08 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RayW
If the outboard is water cooled the oil is supposed to be rated for use in a water cooled engine........ and the air cooled oil is supposed to crud up the engine faster than the water cooled oil.

Thanks for your warning, Ray, the outboard is 2 cycle water cooled engine, and the chainsaws are 2 cycle air cooled engine.